Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 15:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, Srisailam is also a Jyotir linga. Did not mention it because the idea was to cover the ones in GJ, MH & MP
Kumar Sir,
Thanks for the clarification Since he would be coming down to Kurnool, Srisailam would be a further 180 odd kms if my memory is right. Hence thought would clarify with you.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Kumar Sir,
Thanks for the clarification Since he would be coming down to Kurnool, Srisailam would be a further 180 odd kms if my memory is right. Hence thought would clarify with you.
, he can go directly from Hyderabad to Srisailam (SH), no need to go to Kurnool, and rejoin NH7 via Kurnool
Old 18th January 2012, 16:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, he can go directly from Hyderabad to Srisailam (SH), no need to go to Kurnool, and rejoin NH7 via Kurnool
Master at work thanks for the update, was just imagining what would Team BHP be like if there was no people like yourself,Ramkya, tsk, Fauji, Rao...list goes on please excuse me as there many names have been omitted
Old 18th January 2012, 16:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

@Roamingrao - I am simply amazed by the spirit of adventure of not only you but of your entire family. My salute to all of you.

Wonderful TL and keep it going. Don't know how i missed it.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 15:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

@roamingrao thank you for the superb travelogue which is actually a picture board speaking for itself the route, journey and the sights. Looking forward to the entire stretch which will be a window not only to the places in India but a great guide for fellow travellers.

Not sure if some one already said it. Is the last 'S' the Sutlej river?

Edit: Had not noticed the Scorpio before. As I said

Last edited by girishglg : 19th January 2012 at 15:19.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 03:10   #51
BHPian

A 10 day break ! Apologies. work ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Link to some info on this amazing beach: "Muzhuppilangad,the best beach in India ?" | Travel Blog
Thanks for sharing the link, recker_us. Yes, its a fantastic beach. We had been on the beach in 2009 and had also planned to stay at a hotel in this trip. But, as we got delayed, we carried on to parassinikadavu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
A wonderful travelogue in the making! Glad to note that your "chota bheem" performed faultlessly through out the 14,000 kms journey.
Thank you Manuuj.

Yes, one word may describe Chota bheem in this drive - Robotic !
and he has always been so !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
It is our penchance for long drives, similar interests including driving long, cross country, parenting, music and arts and finer details behind etc.
Thank you MX6. Yes, we do share a lot of common interests.

I look forward to this camaraderie !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
This is an amazing TL, pray do keep up speeds to match your Chota Bheem
Thank you Mahesh. Its very kind of you to continue your appreciation here in this thread too ! back from a work break. will make up for lost time and try to match up chota bheem's speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Looking forward to the entire stretch which will be a window not only to the places in India but a great guide for fellow travellers.
Thank you Girish. We hope this 'window' lives up to your expectations !

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
amazed by the spirit of adventure of not only you but of your entire family. My salute to all of you.
Thank you Amit bhai. The rest coming up soon and more frequent !

--------------

Day 6, May 22, 2011

Parassinikadavu, Kannur - Bekal fort - Mangalore - Murudeshwara - Om beach - Karwar - Palolem beach, Canacona, south Goa, 459 kms

We know its going to be a long day and start before sunrise. Later today, we drive through our native. Any better motivator to get up early ?

A short drive of 4 kms and at Sree Muthappan temple in Parassinikadavu, we witness a Theyyam performance ( a dance form of Kerala ) as an offering to Lord Muthappan. Similar to Bhoota kola / kunitha in the coastal districts of Karnataka. The difference here is, the dancer invocates the presiding deity of the temple he performs at. An initial ritual of prayer is done without much make up and then followed by a highly spirited dancing in the inner precincts of the temple accompanied by the drum chenda / chhende. This time with full make up and a headgear. The face is painted red. The sound and sight is heart stopping - we've not seen anything so intense.

Not many tourists here - maybe its too early in the day. Looks like all the villagers around frequent this temple with their offerings and also for naming ceremony, annaprashana ( rice feeding ceremony ) for their children. Outside the temple, quietly flows the Valapatnam river. Green environs all around. Tender sun. For us, a good, serene start.

After prasadam of kaalans ( various grams ) and slices of coconut, we spend some time by the riverside, drive back, check out of KTDC hotel and drive northwards on NH17 - fantastic road passing through Payyanur, the curvy roads near what seems to be the future hotspot for backwater / houseboat tourism in kerala - Nileswar.

When are they going to complete the railway overbridge near Kanhangad ??

Frequented territory starts. Some of our Shivalli relatives are based out of here. Quiet a few. If spotted, we could run into trouble. No, nothing serious, just that they would not allow us to leave today ! Imagine our plight when we forgo our first sighting of a Udupi restaurant in 6 days !

We drive past the open expanse of Pallikara beach and stop at a place where we love to stare at the sea - Bekal fort.

Lets not talk about history and how Hyder Ali captured this fort from the warring Kolathiris and then Nayakas of Keladi. Instead, lets see how views of the sea could be so breathtaking. Early morning hours or sunset time is the best time to explore this massive fort.

Pallikara beach as seen from the fort. Home to many modern resorts and spas.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-2.jpg

The high observation tower built by Tipu Sultan. A steep climb and we see the entire fort from the top

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-3.jpg

From the ramparts of the fort. The Arabian sea roars beneath

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-4.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-5.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-6.jpg

A broad pathway along the entire perimeter of the fort.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-7.jpg

Unique circular bastion extending into the sea. It would be quite a sight watching high monsoon waves striking this bastion. Best captured by
Maniratnam in 'Bombay'

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-8.jpg

The fort as seen from the circular bastion

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-9.jpg

The entire fort has recently been renovated by the Archaeological Survey of India using laterite stone.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-11.jpg

Back on the highway, Kasargode town comes up in no time. Large jewellery shops/ malls studd the city roads.
Arecanut plantations all around the city add to the business done here.
Edneer mutt is close by ( on the road to Badiadka ) as also the ancient Madhur Sri Anantheswara temple - also known for its MahaGanapati Idol.

1130am, driving past Kumbla, Uppala and Manjeshwar, we cross the state border at Talapady and enter Karnataka.

Our five day drive through Kerala has been enchanting, to say the least. We feel enriched and satiated through all our senses - the sights of coconut tree lined beaches and lakes, the rich green paddy fields of Kuttanad, the Theyyam of Malabar, the sounds of Chenda ( drum ) in all the temples as also the distinct church bells in Kochi, the fragrance of burning coconut shells in village homes all across Kerala and not to forget - Aviyal ! How could we not remember the feel of beach sand in our hands and last but not the least - soul stirring contributions of Tirunals of Padmanabhapuram.

Truly - Gods own country !! Kerala, we'll be back for more. Soon.

There is a beautiful temple of Someshwara on the rocky shore just off Ullal which i frequented as a kid and now want to show it to Gudiya and Titli but decide against taking the diversion for lack of time. We used to enjoy our walk on the sand from the temple to Ullal beach near the dargah. Summer Sands Beach resort came in much later. Even after 35 monsoons, memories are still fresh !!

Driving around Pumpwell circle and up towards Kankanady makes me a toddler running into my mother's arms. Even today !!

Aaah ! Mangalore. How else do you describe this city ? In a broad outlook, Malabar marries Konkan here. And, what do you expect in such a marriage
hall ? A 'melting pot' of rich culture, tradition, religion, rituals and, blend of old and new !
The region ( Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts ) boasts itself unparalleled ! Forerunner in Banking, Education, Literature, Art and Dance forms, Folklore, Music, Cinema, Sports, Business... the list goes on. And, who does not look for a Udupi restaurant ?

Sneaking out of relatives house to have Kadabu and Bari akki dosae ( neer dosa ) at Ayodhya, Tuppa ( ghee ) dosae at Taj Mahal, Churmuri at Bavuta gudde, Goli baje and rim jhim coffee at Lakshmi nivas - kalladka, Ice cream at Ideal, bachangai ( watermelon ) at Polali jathre, ajji's pathrode, guliappa and oggarane gatti... i simply cannot have enough. And, I go on - The rocks of Ullal, the shallow beach at panambur, temples at Car street, 'gold' show at marriages, Yakshagana bayalata at Kodialguttu ( my favourite - Devi mahatme by Kateel mela ), Huli vesha of Navarathri, sunset point at Kunjathbail, Sunday morning mass at Milagres church, gals of St.Agnes !, Somebody, stop me ! Ok, enough said. To put it short, Mangalore is my idea of Paradise ! Why ? because i was born here !!! hahaha hehehe ! In the same breath, No, please, please do not mention about roads during monsoon !

But today, we hardly can afford to spend any time here. The hot summer morning makes us drive straight to Ideal ice cream parlour.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-13.jpg

No, I cannot digest this number change. Can we reboot our brain ?

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-14.jpg

Soon, Udupi district welcomes us !

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-16.jpg

At Katapady, we pull aside and take a bow towards the direction of Pajaka kshetra. The birth place of Sri Madhwacharya. Founder of Dwaita philosophy and establisher of Sri Krishna Mutt at Udupi. The very essence of his tatvas and debates he won lies in the words - Hari sarvothama, vaayu jeevothama. Truly, Poornaprajna !

Further ahead, Sri Venkataramana swamy temple beckons us. What's famous in Katapady ? mangaluru mallige ! ( jasmine )

Could'nt they save the significance of the Udupi arch ?

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-17.jpg

Inside the charming city, stands Lord Krishna, facing west. How could he betray a pleading Kanakadasa ?

The temple is run in turn of two years by each of the 8 mutts flanking the temple. The handing over, called paryaya, is a grand affair - the entire temple complex is decked and wears a festive look for days on end.

Gadbad icecream at Diana. There's a story on how the concoction of icecream flavours in a jar got its name here. Anybody here ? Take your time, no gadibidi !!

We drive on, after a quick pranaam at Sri Durga Parameshwari temple at Ambalpady. Lord Janardhana in the same temple is said to directly face
Krishna to the east.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-18.jpg

Brahmavara. Tulu speaking belt abruptly ends here. Here on, its Kundapura kannada ! Untu is replaced by itthu ! Highly confusing to the visitor from
above the ghats. Imagine this - Ye, car yelli ? Oooo agooo, alli itthu....

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-19.jpg

We have a last minute darshan of Sri Guru Narasimha at Saligrama. The temple closes at 2pm.
Across the highway, we are noticed at Sri Anjaneya swamy temple and the news spreads like wildfire. We are promptly waylaid by my chikkamma ( mother's sister ) at Kumbashi and forcibly taken home for lunch. Ardha Koddelu of Mangalorean cucumber ( short for Ardh hakida Koddelu - means 'curry made with grated coconut' ).

Kumbashi ? Sounds familiar ? Yes, Aanegudde MahaGanapati sits here.

We are soon let off as my tactic of 'not taking my eyes off my watch' pays off. As I walk ahead towards the car, my chikkamma and wife murmur something about me and share a laugh. Branding me 'Avasara maani' !

Five bridges after Kundapura, approaching Maravanthe

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-21a.jpg

The Turtle Bay beach resort at Trasi is now not even a shadow of its past. A bottle of water takes 20 minutes to come ! What do they do ? Seems like a litre of water is taken to a desalination plant !

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-21b.jpg

Maravanthe stretch of NH17. In the 80s and even in early 90s, the sea water line was a clear 200 meters away from the highway.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-27.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-30.jpg

Sowparnika river on the other side of the highway. The river teases the sea at this place before flowing away and joining the sea a good 5 kms later !

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-31.jpg

Remember seeing a small stream near Kollur Mookambika temple ? This is that river.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-32.jpg

20 kms further on the casuarina lined highway, we drive up the steep L angled turn after Baindur and divert towards the Kshitija Nesara Dhama. A small stretch of off-roading and we're there.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-34.jpg

A one rupee entrance ticket takes us inside the park ! Being developed by the forest dept, and directly above Ottinene beach, this cliff offers a
breathtaking view of the sea.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-35.jpg

Cottages being built at the park. The surroundings are heavily shrubbed, almost blocking the view of the sea. If developed and maintained with some foresight, this place has all the makings of a good sunset trip.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-36.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-37.jpg

Forest department, Please, Please do not plant monoculture acacia trees in a park ! Thank you.

A small river, Sumana, surrenders to the sea here. We feel like viewing this for the rest of the day !

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-38.jpg

Sai Vishram Beach Resort is on Ottinene beach, just below the cliff

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-40.jpg

Member and Moderator Samurai has some captivating photographs of the resort and surroundings in his travelogues :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...long-time.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nd-vitara.html

Statistician Gudiya mentions that we just crossed our half way point from Kanyakumari to Mumbai ! I ask her if this is also the half way point of NH17
in Karnataka ? The answer is, Yes !

With Shiroor and Bhatkal seen through, we land in Murudeshwara. 330pm. What can i comment on the giant Gopura and Lord Shiva's statue ?

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-42.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-43.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-44.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 29th January 2012 at 09:12. Reason: fixed the travelogue links
roamingrao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 06:27   #52
BHPian

How did I miss this for so long! Amazing travelogue Raoji. Its a pleasure to see India through your eyes.

Mangalapuram is the mallu name for Mangalore.

Btw, re. Kovalam, all the good beaches have been taken over by resorts. The public beaches, unfortunately, don't leave a lot for the wanderer!
dingolphie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 11:21   #53
BHPian

Hari Sarvottama , Vayu Jeevothama! Did you get a chance to visit Pajaka ? would love to see some snaps just in time for the forthcoming Madhavanavami from your eyes/lens.

Thanks for all the travelogues that you pen and provide succor to people who are away from their motherland.
mazda4life is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 11:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

A super drive through India which is showing us some unique and less-travelled places with the family touch! Thanks.

A clarification sought:

At this point: Is the 4-laned road on NH7 complete out of KK town?

A little info from my side:

This aqueduct is truly unique (the Mathur Aqueduct, if I am not mistaken), which transports water.

Wow, this picture of Varkala Beach is truly unique - never seen it empty:

Quote:
We walk back to our room to check out and the newspaper handles out a shocker - Kerala is bandh today !!

There was a massive fuel price increase a couple of days back and Kerala decides to protest. The hotel manager says everything would be closed and advices us to stay on.

We are least perturbed. Reason ? Hvkumarvani !!

Yes, listening to his 'broadcasts' has instilled in us the confidence to tackle any situation. I remember his words - Even on a bandh day, if you have enough fuel, one can easily sail through Kerala, infact, enjoy the empty roads !!

What followed was a literal 'sail through' to Fort Kochi. Now, here is a man with whom I have hardly spoken a couple of times and met just once, who
can, sitting in Mumbai and without speaking a word, transform an entire day to a productive one !

If this is not his power, what else is ?

Sir, we are on the same wavelength and frequency as you - tuned into hvkumarvani !! with rapt attention.
Thanks, sir ji, for the good words.
My advice to you on Kerala bandhs was based on my own experience once during a drive from Bangalore to Munnar in May 2003. I had left Bangalore Madivala (in my Matiz, with 5 persons on board) and the main route (through Udumalaipet) was closed because of a broken bridge near Chinnar and the route via Dindigul was not popular as yet since the road was still 2-laned. Therefore, I had to go via Coimbatore & Angamali to Munnar. Did not know about the bandh. Had refuelled at Toppur. Crossed into Kerala and found roads surprisingly empty - one call to my sister in Trivandrum and she said it is a bandh today. It was a superb drive, full speed racing through NH47 all the way to Angamali - but all petrol pumps & hotels were closed. Off NH47, the narrow roads via Perumbavur & Kothamangalam were also empty of traffic. Needless to say, I was thrilled but then I was running perilously short of fuel and I just about managed to reach Munnar before the petrol tank went empty. I reached Munnar at 130 pm, very fast for those days, taking just 9 hours for the 615 kms from Bangalore Madivala, of which the last 240 kms (after entering Kerala) was covered in just 2 hrs 50 minutes!

Quote:
drive towards Kappil Lake and beach - Edava road....Fantastic views of the sea and lake - coconut tree lined roads for miles on end !
Ah ha, but you missed some lovely backwater shots, check out some from my collection of the backwaters on that route:

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-487943013303_0_alb.jpgOur Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-662253013303_0_alb.jpg
Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-774743013303_0_alb.jpg

Ah ha, you missed the Varkala Tunnel built by the Maharajas and used by boats to go under the mountains:

A write up on this 277 mtr long tunnel built in the year 1880 is here:

Varkala Tunnel

Some more info here http://www.waterways-forward.eu/wp-c...-Sept-2011.pdf

The Mattancherry-Vypin Island ferry - why was Chota Bheem left alone and taken on board?

Had you taken the ferry, you could have gone to Vypin Island, and via Vallarpadom reached the green green greenery of neighbouring Paravur and connected with NH47 near Aluva.

Quote:
Athirapalli falls in all its grace and grandeur.....4.55pm, we drive along a long queue of cars and vans parked alongside the narrow road. I stop in front of the gate, ask gudiya to get down and buy the entrance tickets while i try and find parking space. All of Kerala have come here !
Those were the days, when you could walk right to the water's edge, you were the only person around. No prizes for guessing that this is me standing next to teh water falling down at Athirapalli Falls in the year 1988

Quote:
Kool Kat ice cream parlour. On the beach road. Gulping ice creams is not the word - on what we did !
If I remember right, you get a special orange juice with vanilla ice cream on it, I have had it circa. 1992 () watching sunset in Calicut beach

Quote:
20 kms further on the casuarina lined highway, we drive up the steep L angled turn after Baindur and divert towards the Kshitija Nesara Dhama. A small stretch of off-roading and we're there.....and directly above Ottinene beach, this cliff offers a breathtaking view of the sea.
Wow, that is a lovely sea view, must go there next time I am in that area.

Last edited by hvkumar : 29th January 2012 at 11:50.
hvkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 09:44   #55
BHPian

Hi Ashok,

Reminded me on a dream drive I did in early 90s when just out of college, we a few friends did the drive along the coast from Bangalore - Mangalore - Goa, your travelogue reminds me of those days, should I say "18 Monsoons ago". Surprising you missed Hattiangadi, Kollur and Idagunji!!!

Keenly waiting for the rest of T'logue
Rajesh1968 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 10:14   #56
BHPian

Dear RoamingRao,

Not been a regular on BHP for some time!! My loss missed an out of this world T-Log!! Just read the first page only but had to thump you guys on the back-the whole family-what a ride. Many have done it but sans the way you all have done it. I will read the whole log today 'aramse".
Judemayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 00:56   #57
BHPian

RoamingRao
Hi
Hats off to you for such a great travelogue.Hope there is more.
HVK saar is always praise worthy and I have been recommending his name for all wannabe travellers asking for road doutes/conditions.
A year back I sent him an email(have not met him personally as yet)that if I was paid for recommending his name I would have been a billionare-in US$ terms
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 21:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
Amazing travelogue Raoji. Mangalapuram is the mallu name for Mangalore
Thank you dingolphie.
Mangalapuram. Yes, we later realised the name dated back to the zamorins. Thanks for sharing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Did you get a chance to visit Pajaka ? would love to see some snaps just in time for the forthcoming Madhavanavami from your eyes/lens
No Mazda4life, It was past 1pm when we passed through the diversion to Pajaka Kshetra. We have been to the shrine a couple of times earlier and
never felt like handling a camera inside the temple. But, a must visit place. A punya kshetra in an already divine region that Parashurama shristi is !

Today is Madhvanavami. The day he ascended to Badri and to be with Sage Vedavyasa and still learning from him !

I wish to add some photographs of places we visited in December 2011 directly relating to Sri Madhvacharya

Navabrindavana. On an island near Anegundi, Hampi.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-1.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-2.jpg

This sacred island is home to Jeeva Samadhis ( Brindavana ) of nine of Sri Madhvacharya's followers but preceding Sri Raghavendra Swamy, whose
brindavana is at Mantralaya, near Kurnool, AP - again on the banks of Tungabhadra river.

1. Sri Padmanabha Theertharu, year 1324 ( year of attaining Brindavana ), the first disciple of Sri Madhvacharya.The smallest Brindavana in the picture.
2. Sri Jaya Theertharu, 1388
3. Sri Kaveendhra Theertharu, 1398
4. Sri Vaageesha Theertharu, 1406
5. Sri Vyasaraja Theertharu, 1539,
6. Sri Srinivasa Theertharu, 1564
7. Sri Rama Theertharu, 1584
8. Sri Sudheendra Theertharu, Sri Raghavendra swamy's immediate guru, 1623
9. Sri Govindha Odeyar, 1534

This island is said to be selected by Sri Padmanabha Theertharu, as he said that this is the place where Sri Shanku karna plucked flowers for Lord Brahma while serving him while wholly devoted to Lord Vishnu ( a big story ! ). A cursed Shanku karna was born as Bhakta Prahlada ( son to Asura Hiranyakashipu ) who penanced here in a cave. The cave still exists.

One can still feel the awesome aura of this sacred place. A painted yellow circle around the brindavanas acts as a barricade - not to disturb the great saints - still in penance.

Brindavana of Sri Sudheendra Theertharu, Guru of Sri Raghavendra swamy.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-4.jpg

Brindavana of Sri Rama Theertharu

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-3.jpg

The centre of all. Brindavana of Sri Vyasaraja Theertharu. Raja Guru of Vijayanagara Empire during Sri Krishnadevaraya's rule. Earlier incarnation of Sri Raghavendra Swamy. A temple seen behind was estabhlished by this great saint. Lord Anjaneya in form of Bheema and Sri Madhvacharya.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-5.jpg

Anegundi is also said to be Kishkinda during Ramayana times. Anjanadri parvata ( hill ) towers over all the other hills in the region.
The other incarnation of Madhvacharya, Mukhyaprana ( Anjaneya ) is said to be born here.

Anjanadri parvata.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-6.jpg

As Raja Guru, Sri Vyasaraja Theertharu had two shishyas, Sri Purandara dasaru and Sri Kanaka dasaru.

The father of carnatic music, Sri Purandara dasaru is said to be an avatara of Sage Narada and has composed more than four lakh krithis praising Lord Purandara Vittala.

Who can forget his krithi 'Koosina kandira mukhyapranana kandira' where he describes Anjaneya as a baby who chases the sun and also brings on to mention his incarnations, Bheema and Sri Madhvacharya.

Sri Purandara mantapa, Hampi. The place he spent his last years.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-7.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-8.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-9.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-10.jpg

Anjanadri parvata as Sri Purandara Dasaru saw from his place.

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-11.jpg

Mazda4life, here is a picture of a small temple in Devarayanadurga, near Tumkur and named Badarikashrama. Very close to Sri Bhoga Narasimha
temple. Sage Vedavyasa, Anjaneya, Bheema and Madhva in the same sanctum !! You know who is doing abhisheka !!

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-12.jpg

Our Incredible India drive - Saagar se Shikhar tak !-13.jpg

Fauji sir has a full fledged, info packed travelogue on Devarayanadurga running now !!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...h-sunrise.html

I guess you may have seen all these places. I have posted these on a day i feel is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Thanks for all the travelogues that you pen and provide succor to people who are away from their motherland.
Thank you Mazda4life. I appreciate your gesture to retain touch / come close to facets of our culture sitting close to Sin city !!! You had mentioned about rathasapthami in Fauji sir's travelogue too. Highly appreciable.

And, welcome to Team BHP !!

Quote:
A super drive through India which is showing us some unique and less-travelled places with the family touch!
Thank you sir. We prize your appreciation.

Quote:
A clarification sought:At this point: Is the 4-laned road on NH7 complete out of KK town?
Sir, No. The road to Tirunelveli is blocked from this point. Coming in from Tirunelveli, we are diverted from the 4 laned highway 7 kms short of
Kanyakumari onto a small, narrow road which takes us directly to the town and in front of Vivekananda Kendra. I suppose the diversion is still on.
Member NPV reported the same in his travelogue 'dizzy drive' in december 2011.

Quote:
This aqueduct is truly unique (the Mathur Aqueduct, if I am not mistaken), which transports water.
Yes, the Mathur aqueduct is unique - the longest in Asia. Villukuri aqueduct ( shown in picture ) crosses the highway just before Thukalay. Not sure if
this is a part of Mathur aqueduct network.

Quote:
but you missed some lovely backwater shots, check out some from my collection of the backwaters on that route:

you missed the Varkala Tunnel built by the Maharajas and used by boats to go under the mountains:
We had plans to visit Shivagiri mutt, the tunnel and Kappil beach and surrounding backwaters. Thanks to the hartal, we dropped the plans and rushed to Alappuzha.

Quote:
Those were the days, when you could walk right to the water's edge, you were the only person around.

Wow, the view next to the waters must have been exhilarating ! I remember seeing it in this forum - not sure if it was your photograph - Athirapalli falls during monsoon - resembled Niagara falls !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Surprising you missed Hattiangadi, Kollur and Idagunji!!!Keenly waiting for the rest of T'logue
Rajesh saar. Thank you.
Familiarity breeds contempt ! We have been to almost all the temples in the twin districts earlier, including the ones you mention. Most of the temples here date back to the Vijayanagar era. Each temple has a story to tell. But, during this drive, we have only one day for Karnataka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
My loss missed an out of this world T-Log!! Just read the first page only but had to thump you guys on the back-the whole family-what a ride.

Thank you Colonel. Nice to know your continued support and appreciation.
You've not missed much - the travelogue has just begun !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hats off to you for such a great travelogue
HVK saar is always praise worthy and I have been recommending his na
Wow, look who's here !! Thank you NV sir.
adventure koi aapse seekhe !! right sir ? I know Hvk sir would nod yes !

Last edited by noopster : 2nd February 2012 at 14:41. Reason: Typos corrected at poster's request
roamingrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:05   #59
BHPian

Sir, first of all apologies for diverting the flow of your narrative but I am ever so grateful to you for posting the photos of Navabrundavana and Hampi. Everytime I visit those places it’s a such an awe inspiring and uplifting experience.

Navabrudavana is all the more important as my wife is a direct descendant of the lineage of the great saint Vysaraja... the harshness of the land and at the same time the stark beauty of the place makes you wonder at the minimalist approach that the sages had.

As they say , Every stone has a story to tell in Hampi and Yantrodharaka Pranadevaru stotra that we recite makes us remember this land everyday and pass it to the future generations to come.

There is a famous place near Harihar called Kadarmandlagi Pranadevara kshetra ( I am sure you would have visited ) and the 3 avatars can be seen there as well.

Sorry for the long reply , Yes, we are very near to the sin city and visited many times , never felt the attraction towards it and would rather spend some time in the temple that has been built here in Phoenix by the Puthige Seer (http://aztemple.org/) or the beautiful vistas of the north rim of Grand canyon / Page / Sedona or Flagstaff.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to you for sharing these photos on the forum.

Note from TBHP Support : Please avoid directly copying from external editors.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd February 2012 at 07:09. Reason: See note in post.
mazda4life is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:28   #60
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Just a small point on an excellent log Roamingroa(d).
The name of the 8th guru is Sudheendra theertha and not Susheendra theertha. Am not aware of Sudheendra also known as Susheendra. Yes, he was the direct guru of Sri Raghavendra swami and he wanted Raghavendra Swami to be the next Madhwa peetadhipati. However, there are conspiracy theories that the other disciples outsted Raghavendra Swami (who was more inclined in continuing the puja of the Mula Rama as entrusted to him by Sudheendra Theertha) and ordered by goddess to make Manjolai village now known as Mantralayam as his base where he finally attained Jeeva Samadhi.
It was around the time of the 9th guru that the pontification process was changed. Earlier from Madhwacharya's time the pontification was from one guru to one sishya who continued the Madhwa and Adwaita parampara as a guru sishya lineage. Post the 9th guru, the Mata was split in to 8 matas (Ashta Mata) and the Pontification process has been celebrated as the Paryaya festival. No more the guru identified the next pontiff and attained samadhi. It was transferred from one Mata to another which now currently stands as every 2 years.
Paryaya festival happens in month of January in Udupi and is a grand spectacle. One can get to see all the 8 seers in various ceremonies during paryaya which culminates with the current seer handing over the "reins" of Krishna mata to the next one.
So much of old stuff came up when I read Sudheendra Teertha's name here. I used to stay in Udupi over 8 paryayas back in Sudheendra Teertha Marg!
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed