Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 08:57   #46
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lakshadweep: Paradise Islands - A tryst with the sun, sand, lagoons and corals

A lovely travelogue KarthiKK. It made for a wonderful read. Brilliant write-up sir.

The pics are just breathtaking. I can just wonder how beautiful these islands are in person. You have just captured everything through the lens. Lovely !!

I'm adding Lakshadweep to my list of "Places I must visit", all thanks to you.

Rated it a well-deserving 5-star !!
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 11:44   #47
BHPian

Re: Lakshadweep: Paradise Islands - A tryst with the sun, sand, lagoons and corals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Karthik, one mighty travelogue. Truly Amazing! Many thanks for putting up such great shots with the description.

Your travelogue will help many decide on this magnificient trip. I actually started digging into all the data available on the SPORTS website for a trip in March.

One question: Is it safe to travel with kids on this trip? Did you see families which were there on the ship.

Also karthik, could you PM me your number if I have to ask anything.

Thanks!
Karthik, i was checking the SPORTS website, however all the 5 day and 4 day tours mention taking you to Kalpeni, Kvaratti and Minicoy. There is no mention of Kadmat. Which tour did you take. I am actually planning one for this March end.

Could you PM me your details too.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 13:57   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samigo View Post
What an amazing place and what a fantastic photoshots and narration.

Regards,
Sameer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobashi View Post
A superb travelogue, and lavishly illustrated, to boot; thank you very much. Incredible detail; it felt as if we were standing looking over your shoulder the whole time!

No two ways about it, the Laccadives comes to the top of the list as the next holiday spot. Now it's only a question of planning the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A lovely travelogue KarthiKK. It made for a wonderful read. Brilliant write-up sir.

The pics are just breathtaking. I can just wonder how beautiful these islands are in person. You have just captured everything through the lens. Lovely !!

I'm adding Lakshadweep to my list of "Places I must visit", all thanks to you.

Rated it a well-deserving 5-star !!
Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed going through it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Karthik, i was checking the SPORTS website, however all the 5 day and 4 day tours mention taking you to Kalpeni, Kvaratti and Minicoy. There is no mention of Kadmat. Which tour did you take. I am actually planning one for this March end.

Could you PM me your details too.
I just had a look at the ship time table for Samudram package now on their site, and spoke to the travel agent. It looks like the samudram package now covers Kavaratti, Minicoy and Kalpeni mainly; and the coral reef package covers Kadmat also in addition to those 3 islands.

In the Samudram package, I think 14th march (departure) there is 1 ship package which is covering Kadmat. You could check that. If this is not convenient for you, maybe you could check the ship visiting schedule for coral reef package.

Points to remember -

- Coral reef package does not happen with MV Kavaratti. There are 2 smaller ships called MV Lakshadweep sea and MV Arabian sea for coral reef. There are no diamond class rooms on those 2 ships and the facilities are limited. I would advise sticking to MV Kavaratti if you are going with family. One of my friends went on MV Arabian sea and he was complaining of excessive sea sickness (smaller ship = more bobbing / rocking motion )

- Any specific reasons to visit Kadmat in particular, apart from the scuba diving? If you can opt for Samudram package which visits any of the other 3 islands, you still wouldn't miss anything. Minicoy and Kalpeni are also superb islands. Kalpeni is in fact surrounded by some uninhabited islands and would be a different experience if you choose to explore them.

- The only thing exclusive to Kadmat is the Lacadives scuba dive centre. However, Kavaratti also has a centre called Dolphin dive centre. You may have to call and pre-book your slots in advance since Kavaratti's scuba diving is managed by SPORTS (not by Lacadives) and will be priced lesser. Expect lots of crowd booking upfront at Dolphin centre. If you still somehow miss that at Kavaratti, no worries - Minicoy also has a dive centre for scuba diving. In fact Minicoy's scuba diving includes exploring some ship wrecks in addition to the regular corals and marine life.

PMed you my details in case you want more information.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th December 2011 at 14:01.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 11:43   #49
BHPian

Amazing collection of pictures. I just loved the place, didn't know that Lakshadweep is so beautiful.
This is a must visit place, I am already thinking of it.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 20:16   #50
BHPian

@Karthik
Amazing travelogue. Thanks for sharing. Brings back nostalgic memories of our Minicoy days when my father was posted there.
I had made several trips to Minicoy but not to any other islands. I just loved those wonderful beaches, the light house and of course abundant fish for every meal of the day!

Hope to get back those beautiful beaches some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I lived there on those hallowed Shores of Minicoy island in My school hostel for 2 years
Which year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I think Tipu Sultan and Bharat Seema are now off duty since they were getting too long in the tooth.
Can never forget MV Tipu Sultan and MV Bharat Seema. MV Tipu Sultan was our favourite those days.
Dhar's is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 19:46   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Great to know you are from Lakshadweep itself! I think Tipu Sultan and Bharat Seema are now off duty since they were getting too long in the tooth. Now they have been replaced with MV Arabian Sea, MV Minicoy and MV Lakshadweep sea, newer ships with modern facilities.

MV Kavaratti, the ship which we went in, was quite good. The bunker beds were quite plush and spotlessly clean, room was equipped with electric socket points and the attached baths had temperature controlled showers!
Hey great to see some new ships doing the duty. MV Tipu sultan was India's best tourist ship in 90's, sad to see it going out of duty.

Btw I do not belong to Lakshadweep and belong to UP, although I was able to get my 9th and 10th grade education done at government's expense in Minicoy island
anu21v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 19:47   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Which year?
1991-1993 in Minicoy island at I Think Lakshadweep's only residential school
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Came across this thread today. Sorry for the late post, but its better to be late than never

Awesome clicks and really good narration. The water really looks pristine and I know, it must have felt like heaven looking at the colorful fishes around you. Have had similar experience when I had went to Langkawi. What other water sports are available?

Off topic, which DSLR and lens do you use?
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:48   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Came across this thread today. Sorry for the late post, but its better to be late than never

Awesome clicks and really good narration. The water really looks pristine and I know, it must have felt like heaven looking at the colorful fishes around you. Have had similar experience when I had went to Langkawi. What other water sports are available?

Off topic, which DSLR and lens do you use?
Thanks a lot _raVan_. It is definitely a heavenly place and totally out of this world. They didn't have Jet skis there when I went. Everything else was available - Kayaking, wind surfing, scuba diving, snorkelling, swimming, etc. I think each island has its own set of activities so it could vary depending on where you visit.

My kit? nothing significant sir . I just use a humble nikon D5000 and an even more humble Nikkor 10-24mm wide angle lens for most of my landscape photography needs. For distance shots, a 55-200mm telephoto is more than sufficient for me.
Old 4th April 2012, 03:02   #55
BHPian

Karthik, just bumped in to this thread today and ohh boy, a nice travelogue that certainly inspires us to visit Lakshadweep, this is now added to my "to do" trips. Thanks a ton for sharing your experience and hope you dont mind if I PM you for any queries.

Thoroughly enjoyed the narration and pics.
balajird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 17:42   #56
lsp
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue Karthik and amazing pics to go very well with that. makes me want to shun my office cubicle and rush to the sandy beaches and swim in the ocean. If only....
lsp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 01:37   #57
BHPian

More than my words can say. You are a story teller, your detailed narration is amazing. Your pics reminded me of Zanziber island pics posted by a friend of mine.

You get a 5* from me.
Funda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:55   #58

@karthikk - Thanks for this lovely travelogue. I am not able to send a private message yet as I do not have the required permissions yet. I am planning on a trip to Lakshadweep. Could you SMS your email id to 9845620465, please?
tupin22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 18:11   #59
BHPian

Karthikk - read the TL just now. amazing pics and details in the TL - thanks for sharing. Makes it easier for us folks while researching for vacation spots. thanks.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 14:35   #60
BHPian

Great Travelogue and pics. What pristine waters & Colorful hues!!! Thanks for pointing out the permit reqts. too!!

Can't help but wonder how neglected as a Tourist destination Lakshadweep has been, sharing the Same awesome waters/sands/reefs/shores and atolls with one of the worlds most Exotic & expensive Holiday Locations-The Maldives!!
parassoni is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks