Team-BHP - Lakshadweep - A "dive" vacation ...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Lakshadweep - A "dive" vacation ... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/113077-lakshadweep-dive-vacation.html)

Hi guys,

Read a travelouge on Lakshdweep posted on this forum recently. Going by the interest shown in the place by a number of T-BHPians, thought would share some pics of my vacation there.

I was in Lakshdweep from 8 - 13 Dec 11. Had been there for a day about 8 years back, and had always wished to come back for a longer vacation. The pristine white sand beaches, and breathtaking beauty of the vast lagoons in amazing shades of blue sorrounding the islands are beyond description.

My agenda for this vacation was just dive, dive and then dive some more. Crystal clear waters with visibility of around 20-25 meters, amazing underwater life and the beautiful corals made the vacation an unforgettable one. The best experience was Diving in a spot called the "Turtle Nest". True to its name, the place was teeming with turtles, swimming and floating by all around you.

Will not waste any more time, and will let pictures do the talking. Unfortunately, not too many pics, and none clicked underwater. But then, a place like lakshdweep sometimes just sweeps you off your feet and you forget you have a cam in your hands.

Pictures .................................

Some more ................

Pictures are great, but a bit more details about the diving experience, the cost the training etc etc would be nice.

Thanks

Hi Deky,

I have enoough experience in diving. So i didnt do any training. Just started off with Open Water Dives.

For beginers, you need to get a PADI / SSI / CMS certification before you start doing open water dives. The basic course cost is 16500 for SSI and 19000 for PADI certification. Both are essentially same and all dive operators accept both certifications. The course includes baisc training, a few dives in confined waters, and one or two open water dives.

In Lakshdweep, a govt. body called SPORTS conducts these courses. You can also head to Andamans for diving courses. Plenty of dive centers there.

Amazing set of pics there! It would be nice if you could provide us with a bit more info about the hotel, tariff (I understand if you don't post the tariff:)), your review of the hotel where you stayed and other stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 2621678)
Hi Deky,

I have enoough experience in diving. So i didnt do any training. Just started off with Open Water Dives.

For beginers, you need to get a PADI / SSI / CMS certification before you start doing open water dives. The basic course cost is 16500 for SSI and 19000 for PADI certification. Both are essentially same and all dive operators accept both certifications. The course includes baisc training, a few dives in confined waters, and one or two open water dives.

In Lakshdweep, a govt. body called SPORTS conducts these courses. You can also head to Andamans for diving courses. Plenty of dive centers there.

Good to see a diver on TBHP, I currently in process of completing PADI certificate. Open water dives are pending and was contemplating on Andamans or Lakshdweep for same. Do keep the pics coming. :thumbs up

Amazing snaps.

I believe the photos have been photoshopped? I mean its too good to be true. And what camera are you using?

Oh great start!! we are waiting for more...i so want to do this at the earliest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antorquetik (Post 2623104)
Amazing set of pics there! It would be nice if you could provide us with a bit more info about the hotel, tariff (I understand if you don't post the tariff:)), your review of the hotel where you stayed and other stuff.

Thanks buddy.

Let me give some details of my travel and stay at Lakshdweep. It may benefit other BHPians as well.

First and foremost, you need a permit to visit Lakshdweep. The permit needs to be obtained before you start your travel. It is issued by Lakshdweep Administration office at Willington Island, Kochi. They ask for a confirmation fax regarding your accomodation booking from Lakshdweep ( from the resort or hotel that you do your booking in) before the permit is issued. So make sure you plan well in advance, and do your bookings on time, and then apply for the permit. A form (hard copy) needs to be filled, handed over, and then the permit has to be collected from the office at Kochi. I had a friend at Kochi who did all this for me.

I then flew in from Cochi to Agatti Island (only airport at Laskhdweep). From Agatti island airport, i took a helicopter to Kavaratti. (The ride cost 970/-). It was available right outside the arrival lounge as soon as we arrived.

In case you are planning a visit, i suggest you stay at Agatti island itself. The island has a resort (Agatti Island Beach resort) close to the airport.Beautiful resort with a beach all to itself, and a lagoon absolutely to die for. However, the rates are pretty steep (Around 8-9 grand per couple per day).

I stayed at Kavaratti, and not at agatti for two reasons. One, i could not manage accomodation at Agatti, and the main reason - my main agenda for the trip was only diving. So resort / beaches / lagoons were secondary, and only good diving sites important. Kavaratti had plenty of these and a dive center as well.

The accomodation at Kavaratti was basic, but neat. A place called AL-BE Hotel right in the middle of Kavaratti market. AC double room cost me 800/- a day.

A word about Kavaratti - Its an island about 7 km long, and 1-3 km wide at most places. The island is not tourism oriented at all. Just local guys going about their business. Beautiful lagoon, but the beach is dotted with houses. No empty, isolated stretch of beaches. Also - Good food may be an issue. We were lucky, and our dive center arranged for our meals at the Local Dak Bungalow.

So, in case you plan to come only for diving, you will not be disappointed with Kavaratti. But if you plan to spend time on good beaches all by yourself, head to Agatti.

Hope i have been able to answer your queries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 2623487)
Good to see a diver on TBHP, I currently in process of completing PADI certificate. Open water dives are pending and was contemplating on Andamans or Lakshdweep for same. Do keep the pics coming. :thumbs up

Yes may be you can plan for a dive vacation in Lakshdweep sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revintup (Post 2623593)
Amazing snaps.

I believe the photos have been photoshopped? I mean its too good to be true. And what camera are you using?

No buddy, not photoshopped. Just the way they were shot. I use Canon 1000d, with the kit lens or 50 mm 1.8.

Great Trip there. a Few questions:
1.do they check your PADI certification or you just dive?
2. Dive operators are they easy to find?
3. You did not post any under water or resort images...