Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 14:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue

MX6, some fabulous photography there!

If it doesn't sound too distracting, could you comment on the journey a little bit? The average speeds, the average FE and so on?

Also to answer some queries on hiding the vehicle registration numbers, since this is a public forum, it is best to not disclose too many personal details such as mobile numbers or vehicle numbers. While I don't know if this is a formal policy, I do request all to follow it.

Last edited by honeybee : 20th January 2012 at 14:04. Reason: Comments on hiding registration numbers
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:21   #47
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Konark temple also had the similar structure (though sabhamandap is in ruins) and the phenomenon mentioned above said to be true there as well.

You can also see example of Kalinga architecture in Pattadkal - one of the temple in the complex followed that.

Obviously apart from Lingaraj and Konark (though I am not sure if Konark followed the distinguished Kalinga style, have to crosscheck photographs), Puri Jagannath teample is another temple with the Kalinga style.
Well, Pattadakkal is typical Hoysala with Dravidian influence. Kalinga type was mostly restricted to where the Kalinga empire spread. And the sun temple at konark is basically a different idealogy with the whole temple base forming the chariot of Surya (including the wheels that could move). Over here as Ramkya pointed out they are mounted on lotuses. Since this temple was built after the Kalinga period, am wondering whether that one temple tower in the Suryakund was an inspiration taken from the Kalinga rulers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Dear MX6, Please continue to post the detailed travelogue as it is a treat to our senses ... it is mindblowing just to see these sculptures and to step back and imagine the amount of creativity and the talent that our people had to interpret the maha kavyas and turn it into these sculptures.
Thanks Mazda4life. The best part is yet to unfold! That will proceed this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
If you notice the corners on photographs you'd see the temple sits on a lotus, Konark is different. The scale of Konark is on a much larger scale.

Good Captures all. @ Mani: Waiting for more exciting pictures.

--Ramky
Thanks Ramkya sir. More pics are coming up. Konark is not just larger scale, it's also slightly different idealogy as pointed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
MX6, A visual treat !

appreciate your attention to finer details - especially the carved pillars and lotus shaped roof.

Suryadev mandir, Modhera. I guess the stone used is sandstone -
You are absolutely correct there. It is indeed Sandstone. Though there's a huge belt of Marble rocks available closer, the kings had decided to use Sandstones! Thanks for your kind words. More is coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Mani,

Excellent!!!

This brought the memories of our trip 2008 to Modhera and Little rann.

The carvings are intricate and unfortunately are getting eroded slowly as they are built of sand stone and the being closer to sea has salt content in the air.

Looking forward to pictures of the beautiful "Rani ki Vav" the step well closer to Modehra.

Yes Ashok. It is made of sand stone. You can see erosion in the pictures.
Thanks Fauji. Isn't there any place you haven't gone yet?
Yes, another 2 or 3 sets of pics of Modhera. Then it's over to the stunning Rani Ka Vav. And you are right about the erosion caused on the sandstones. Hope these magnificent edifices are preserved for later generations to see and appreciate our wonderful legacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
MX6, some fabulous photography there!

If it doesn't sound too distracting, could you comment on the journey a little bit? The average speeds, the average FE and so on?

Also to answer some queries on hiding the vehicle registration numbers, since this is a public forum, it is best to not disclose too many personal details such as mobile numbers or vehicle numbers. While I don't know if this is a formal policy, I do request all to follow it.
Thanks Honeybee.
No distractions there. Will put that up when I analyse my trip logs at the end. Yet to touch my Garmin after the trip. And The fuel efficiency is something I didn't bother to calculate. Normally I get 18 - 19 on highways.

Yes, I do agree with the blanking out of reg plates. Not everyone here in this forum is a friend until you know them personally! Last I want is some stalker.

Welcome back to the Elephants of Modhera.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8001.jpg

Side profile of the Guda Mandap. While the whole temple rests on the lotus petals, we have another layer of separate lotus flowers over which we have the elephants! Above comes the sculptures of the multitudes in revelry! Followed by larger blocks of patters (including many of lotus) and the gods above them. Over that is the shikhara that has intricate geometric patterns carved out.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8002.jpg

That's Suryanarayana with 4 hands (of which he's already lost 2).
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8003.jpg

Vishnu in the eternal sea lying on Adisesha. Besides him is his Consort Lakshmi.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8004.jpg

No comments on this.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8005.jpg

Here's the churning of the ocean where Vasuki the snake was used for the rope and mount meru supported on the tortoise as the churner with the devas and asuras on either side. But wait, why is the ocean like a pot?
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8006.jpg

People out on war.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8007.jpg

Not sure who this is. Could be Kubera. But then there's a dragonfly on him.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8008.jpg

Finally, Surya himself. Standing tall on his chariot drawn by 7 horses.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8011.jpg

Close up of Vishnu. Dismembered and mutilated. Seems more like works of miscreants than test of time.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-imgp8012.jpg

Up next: The Shiva temple at Modhera
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 18:53   #48
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Coming back to this thread after a long hiatus.
Sorry to keep you eager folks waiting.

My weekends were pretty much occupied. Loads of travel.

One of the long weekends I went to this place.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-1.jpg

Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-2.jpg
The Sony DSC hx 100v was tested to the fullest.

Another long weekend I went on my regulation drive to this place.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-sringeri.jpg

With a customary stop at this landmark geostructure.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-maravanthe.jpg

And another weekend, had been on a meet with few friends from forum and few others at Karnala, piloted by our own HVKji.
Modhera, Patan and Udaipur - A photologue-karnala.jpg

Now that am back from all this, and am having a bit of weekends free, I'd kick start this thread again.

Can't derive more motivation from the fact that there's been some great threads of GJ in recent times in T-BHP!

Watch this space tonight!

Last edited by MX6 : 12th March 2012 at 19:01.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 16:35   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

For a moment till only the first 2 Photos loaded, I was wondering if this place ever resembled with one down south till I scrolled through the rest of then which started talking about your last few week's drives and meets. This thread was sleeping since long and I know you have loads of photos from the Modhera trip alone. Keep them coming!
Old 19th May 2012, 12:44   #50
BHPian

And regarding the jam, Saar, I view it this way. Through the old route, I might take extra 20 minutes. But if I manage to get stuck in the Jam on NH8, I'm stuck for hours. I'd rather wilfully waste 20 minutes in a more scenic route than get stuck for hours in traffic With the Golden bridge the good thing is that trucks aren't allowed!

I travel to Ankleshwar & Dahej for work almost twice every week in my company's Innova. While going from Ahmedabad I take the bridge on the NH, the trick is take the extreme left lane, this will lead you to the newly opened narrow bridge that runs just parallel. This is open only to LMV's and you can avoid the traffic jam that happens on the main bridge. While coming back it is always advisable to take the Golden Bridge, since evenings see a rush of traffic on the main NH bridge.

Hope this helps guys who want to do a recent trip on this stretch.
Old 4th November 2012, 20:54   #51

Hi MX6, Can you please provide the details of the accomodation in Mehsana?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Coming back to this thread after a long hiatus.
Sorry to keep you eager folks waiting.
======
Can't derive more motivation from the fact that there's been some great threads of GJ in recent times in T-BHP!

Watch this space tonight!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks