Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fauji's Drivologues - A quick drive to Devarayanadurga to watch sunrise

Poorna Sir,
Hithala Gida maddalla...
As Kumar Sir mentioned we ought to have all the TL's saved and recreated into a book. Am sure that would be a very good commercial venture and an hand book for aspiring travellers like me. DD Hills as what we call is also a good hit with our bikers community.
Good Stuff...
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:50   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of my trip to Matheran with my wife. in last week of december a few years ago, we woke up at 3:30 am and showered in cold water and started walking in pitch darkness with just a torch in hand towards the sunrise point. Had to wait there with a small crowd to see the sun rise. What a magical moment it was! Add to it the crispness in the air and the stillness around. Best point being Matheran is out of bounds for vehicles so no pollution. Just the previous night we were sitting outside on the varanda of our cottage looking at the starry skies and chatting till midnight!

Here's the link for those pics.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1975023

Last edited by MX6 : 2nd February 2012 at 14:01. Reason: Adding URL
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

This was my go to place during the initial days of riding a bike is 2001. A gang of 4 or 5 of us, who worked in night shift at Customer Asset in Bangalore, would leave office at around 6am, Head straight to Shivganga with a light breakfast anywhere enroute, climb up the hill, sit near the temple for a while, go into the cave temple and pray that we have done some good deeds in the life so that we could touch the water through the hole and then come back. Then to Devarayanadurga, visit the temple and enjoy few snacks at the bike parking area and return home really tired. This thread brought back some good old memories and also a reminder that I haven't been in touch with most of my biker friends for a while. Thank you Fauji Sir.

Edit - This post changed my status to a BHPIAN from a newbie :-). So, I will definitely be going to this place again, now as a BHPIAN.

Last edited by dass : 3rd February 2012 at 00:08. Reason: Update
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 11:53   #19
BHPian

Hi Fauji,

Thats was an inspiring Drivologue, by you, keep up the good work.
Old 8th February 2012, 09:30   #20
BHPian

Hi Fauji,

Thanks for the nice write up. I have been wanting to visit devarayanadurga but haven't been able to. I may plan a trip this weekend. Could you please tell me how is the road condition especially after a take diversion from the national highway? I have bought a new car and would not want to give it a trouble if the road is really bad. Last time when I was there in 2008, the roads were pathetic. In fact it was not supposed to be called a road. It was that horrible.

Thanks,
Praveen

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th February 2012 at 12:19. Reason: Please do not type the whole post in bold. Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Poorna Sir,
Hithala Gida maddalla...
As Kumar Sir mentioned we ought to have all the TL's saved and recreated into a book. Am sure that would be a very good commercial venture and an hand book for aspiring travellers like me. DD Hills as what we call is also a good hit with our bikers community.
Good Stuff...
Thanks Mahesh. It is nice to see many of us sharing our experiences which will help others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Reminds me of my trip to Matheran with my wife. in last week of december a few years ago, we woke up at 3:30 am and showered in cold water and started walking in pitch darkness with just a torch in hand towards the sunrise point.
Thanks Mani. In fact Matheran and Sahyadris are the places who haven't been to but would love to go some day specially after the rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
This was my go to place during the initial days of riding a bike is 2001. .
Thanks Dass. Yes, in and around Tumkur has lot of places to see and easy to do on bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt1948 View Post
Hi Fauji,

Thats was an inspiring Drivologue, by you, keep up the good work.
Thanks Natt. Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenp View Post
Hi Fauji,

Thanks for the nice write up. I have been wanting to visit devarayanadurga but haven't been able to. I may plan a trip this weekend. Could you please tell me how is the road condition especially after a take diversion from the national highway? I have bought a new car and would not want to give it a trouble if the road is really bad. Last time when I was there in 2008, the roads were pathetic. In fact it was not supposed to be called a road. It was that horrible.

Thanks,
Praveen
The road is excellent through out. Watch out for humps near villages. Otherwise, don't worry. Enjoy your trip in the new car.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:41   #22
Team-BHP Support

Nice one Fauji! Didn't know sunrise is this beautiful from devarayanadurga.

Its been a long time since I visited DD hills. After seeing this t-logue, I have decided I will take my car there for a quick sunday morning drive. A couple of questions for you -
- What is the distance of the hill ascent part and how is the road quality on the hill? The last I heard the road was patchy in sections.
- Is the parking area safe and sufficiently big if I go on a sunday (given that there will be more crowd)??
- suggestions for any places to have breakfast, etc near DD hills before returning? (apart from the regular ones on NH4)

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th February 2012 at 11:46.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Nice one Fauji! Didn't know sunrise is this beautiful from devarayanadurga.

Its been a long time since I visited DD hills. After seeing this t-logue, I have decided I will take my car there for a quick sunday morning drive. A couple of questions for you -
- What is the distance of the hill ascent part and how is the road quality on the hill? The last I heard the road was patchy in sections.

The road is excellent throughout except for humps near villages. The ascent part is only three KMs and not a big deal for your Jet which has gone around Munnar. The road quality on the hill is quite good.

- Is the parking area safe and sufficiently big if I go on a sunday (given that there will be more crowd)??

Close to the foot hill - from where you have to climb steps to Yoga Narasimha temple - they have wideneed and made it a double road with parking on both sides. Yes, Sundays may be crowded after 10 AM. Till then it should be fine. The temple on the hill opens only at 8 AM.

- suggestions for any places to have breakfast, etc near DD hills before returning? (apart from the regular ones on NH4)

I don't think so unless you go to Tumkur town. There may a odd hotel in Devarayandurga itself. Alternately, you can try "Tatte idlis" in Kaytsandra. Otherwise you have to depend on Good old Kamat only.
Karthik,

My answers are in bold above. If the plan is to go for sunrise, my recommendtion is to do some bird watching, then have darshan at temple on the hill and drive back to Bangalore after late BF at Kamat or Kyatsandra.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed