Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 20:39   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Good thread to complement your D status.
BTB, how far is Seethammankundu from Sulthan Bathery? I plan to drive to Madikeri by the month end.
Thanks!

Its about ~50kms from Sulthan Bathery to Seethammankundu. When coming from Mananthavadi/Coorg side, you need not come to Bathery. The route via Kalpetta is better and slightly shorter.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:13   #17
dot
Senior - BHPian

dhanushs,

Its great to know that you stay in such a lovely land. Wanted to share my experience in Wayanad. Long time back, in 2003, I had the good fortune to visit a tiny bit part of the land on my Boxer CT-Ktec. Posting the route map of that trip.

Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-wayanad.png

We stayed overnight at Hunsur then tried to enter Nagarhole forest. But they would not let bikes enter. So we went to Gonikoppal and reached Kerala border near Kattikulam (I think that was the name). Before that we saw a beautiful waterfall where we took bath (marked in black circle). Forgot the name. Do you know about it?

Had delicious hot kerala paratha and mutta curry there. Then we took the road between Nagarhole and Kabini. It was almost evening and we were continuously in lookout for elephants as the broken up road goes through the jungle. Reached Mysore late night. What an exciting day it was.

Last edited by dot : 9th February 2012 at 21:18.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:46   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I had the good fortune to visit a tiny bit part of the land on my Boxer CT-Ktec..
Wow!.. Such trip on a boxer is as crazy as its fun!. You guys might have rocked!
Quote:
Before that we saw a beautiful waterfall where we took bath (marked in black circle). Forgot the name. Do you know about it?
The area you visited is Mananthavady, which is completley unfamiliar territory for me, as its about ~50kms from my home. Intend to discover more, with this Jeep!.
Quote:
Then we took the road between Nagarhole and Kabini.
During those times, how was those roads?. I mean, did you have to cross a river (Jangar - Put your bike on a boat and cross)?
Old 10th February 2012, 12:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dhanush for exploring Wayanad and sharing it will all of us. It is such a fantastic place. We envy you no doubt for staying amidst greenery.

Are these trails only jeepable or can we take Scorpio too?
Old 10th February 2012, 12:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I live in Wayanad.
Nice travelog Dhanush. Even though I am from Kerala, I had never seen but only heard about the beauty in these parts of our state. I am in Wayanad for a few days in April, lets plan and meet up. Our friend from Bangalore has also confirmed his presence. What say?

On a different note, how is Kasargod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Of course it will Sirji, Dhanush can comment better.

Spike
Old 10th February 2012, 12:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Even though On a different note, how is Kasargod?

Of course it will Sirji, Dhanush can comment better.

Spike
Thanks Spike.

Kasargod is awesome. Beautiful beaches and great food. Came back from Bekal two weeks back.
Old 10th February 2012, 13:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Thanks Fauji. Mine is just a 2WD Jeep. So, I guess a Scorpio too should be able to handle it pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I am in Wayanad for a few days in April, lets plan and meet up. Our friend from Bangalore has also confirmed his presence. What say?
Just come over man.. We will meet up for sure!
Old 10th February 2012, 17:53   #23
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During those times, how was those roads?. I mean, did you have to cross a river (Jangar - Put your bike on a boat and cross)?
The roads were in terrible conditions. The part within the jungle was totally broken up. We were crossing that stretch around late evening time when light was waning and ruthless cold was setting in. It was pretty much scary. One of team members spotted something moving in the jungle and our immediate reaction was that we were finished. Turned out to be a peacock.

But we didnt cross any river on a boat. I remember a longish bridge very close to Kerala Karnataka border.
Next time we went to Kabini in 2006 (in a Tempo Traveller ), I felt that the road was closed for general traffic. Not sure, could be wrong.

Edit: The tall blue mountains of Wayanad is still fresh in my mind. Hope I get the chance to ride there again.

Last edited by dot : 10th February 2012 at 17:59.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:54   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[
Seethammankundu, the spot. Notice the rocks, and how perfect they are for a Diving exercise.

Attachment 884846
Looks amazing but it also looks like a death-trap to me. But then again, us cats are scared of water

Are you sure there are no rocks submerged in the water there?
Old 17th February 2012, 20:31   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Are you sure there are no rocks submerged in the water there?
Nope, no rocks submerged in there AT ALL. Also, the place has absolutely no history of being risky, but please note that its NOT fit for someone who is not very experienced in swimming, cos depths range from ~30 feet - unknown and no place to walk down to the water.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:41   #26
BHPian

Great trips Dhanush - How I would love to roam around the country esp. in a JEEP. Cant wait to get a Thar
BTW, can you please describe a little about your wildlife sightings? I don't know about the parks in Kerala as I have never visited that part. I have read that there are a lot of elephants in that part & sometimes you have to be really careful about the lone tuskers.
Your night rides seem REALLY exciting. Dyeing to do such night safaris >>
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:44   #27
BHPian

@Dhanush
Great place, nice travelogue
We had been to your place last summer....We drove around some of the famous places, and never ventured like you have done here
But still remember the Gobi Manchuri we had on a hotel which had a backdrop of the Chembra peak. Awesome

But were cheated with the tea leaves we bought :(
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:25   #28
BHPian

@Dhanushs - I'm also from Kerala and have a house at Mananthavady (do not stay there). Last month we did the trek to "Pakshipadalam". Great place for folks who like trekking through the forest. Would recommend it - it's a full day affair though.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Neelimala View Point:

Location: This view point is located near to and en route to Meenmutty waterfalls, which is quite popular. You have to take a right, which going from 'vaduvanchal/meppadi' towards Meenmutty Waterfalls.
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 2087
Size:  5.1 KB

What is it? : Well, basically, its like all view points.. just a view point.. But.. unlike most popular view points, this one is very very less crowded by tourists. Which means, you can have your own sweet and private time checking out the nature. Standing on the edge of a rock, you can enjoy a fantastic view of Meenmutty Waterfalls, and surrounding hills. The lighting is just superb in the evenings.
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-img_1525-copy.jpg

How to reach?:
You can reach there by any means of transport. Vaduvanchal is the place to reach 1st, afterwhich, take an auto/taxi/jeep to the place. After which, you have to walk upwards. But if you have a high GC vehicle, it will save you lot of time, and effort of walking up till the view point. During monsoons 4WD is a must, but now, 2WD will do.
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6838-copy.jpg

When to go?: Mornings and evenings are the best time to go and enjoy the view!. If your hotel is in a nearby area(~10-15kms), then a visit to the viewpoint will take just a couple of hours(Including an hour at the location).
Old 17th April 2012, 14:17   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

It was close friend who mentioned about this place to us, and as it was long since we went some where, decided to go and check it out. The real silly reason was that, my new Jeep was never put in 4WD and, I wanted to see if this place will need it. (Sadly, it didn't)

The roads from Sulthan Bathery to the view point is average, with a some bad patches after Ambalavayal.

En Route.. through Ambalavayal..
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6792.jpg

After taking a right towards Neelimala from the main road, the only road you can get is a muddy kaccha road. However, a vehicle with high ground clearance will suffice. There are some steep inclines, which will test your skills, but I never had to engage the 4WD.. meaning, any vehicle can easily climb up. But, during monsoons, this inclines will start to be slushy, which means only a 4WD will climb up. Also, in some places, I doubt if a wider track than 55" will pass trough, as my Jeep was just the right fit.

Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6798-copy.jpg
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6838-copy.jpg
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6802-copy.jpg

Now, it does save a lot of time and effort, if you take your own vehicle up, but after a while, when the track narrows so that you will need to park, the parking space becomes an issue.. Which means, you might have to make some tricky space for yourself.

Something like this:
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6794-copy.jpg

Or this:
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6846-copy.jpg

After which you have to walk down about ~500 meters. If you are lucky, there will be a 'naadan' guide to guide, you.. Like this.
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6800-copy.jpg

Now, walking down is easy is not so easy. You have to walk over rocks, tree roots, some slippy gravel etc.. etc..

Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6830-copy.jpg
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6808-copy.jpg
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6810-copy.jpg
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-dscn6803-copy.jpg

But, what you get to see after all this hardship is, just... WOW!!!...
Wayanad - 'Gods Own District' in 'Gods Own Country'!!..-img_1535-copy.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks