Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 10:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Self driven road trip, Siliguri (W.B) to Kathmandu (Nepal)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2012 at 17:02.
damanshaheed is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th May 2012, 12:04   #32
BHPian

IMHO you may consider taking the Varanasi-Barhi (NH2)-Koderma-Biharsharif-Bhagalpur-Purnea route, if you have no business in Patna. The distance is about 700 Km and may be covered in a day. Bihar boasts of one of the best road surfaces in eastern India, so the roads are good, except maybe for some broken stretches in Jharkhand. The problem which you may face is that decent highway facilities are not much available on this route. I am also sure that you will cover Purnea to Siliguri is less than four hours. I also think that you may even consider Bhagalpur as an option for night stay, as you will be travelling with wife and children.
Just curious, when are you making the trip? Am asking because I shall also possibly be driving by this Purnea-Siliguri route on 26th of this month, travelling with my wife and daughter.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2012 at 17:03. Reason: Quoted post deleted
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 13:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
IMHO you may consider taking the Varanasi-Barhi (NH2)-Koderma-Biharsharif-Bhagalpur-Purnea route, if you have no business in Patna. The distance is about 700 Km and may be covered in a day. Bihar boasts of one of the best road surfaces in eastern India, so the roads are good, except maybe for some broken stretches in Jharkhand. The problem which you may face is that decent highway facilities are not much available on this route. I am also sure that you will cover Purnea to Siliguri is less than four hours. I also think that you may even consider Bhagalpur as an option for night stay, as you will be travelling with wife and children.
Just curious, when are you making the trip? Am asking because I shall also possibly be driving by this Purnea-Siliguri route on 26th of this month, travelling with my wife and daughter.
Thank you for the input sir. An alternate to the Varanasi-Barhi route is the Mohania - Bakhtiarpur NH30. Mohania is about 76 kms from Varanasi on NH2. NH30 originates from here and joins NH31 at Bakhtiarpur. What is your take on this? What I could gather is that is stretch is relatively new.

I guess we will miss you by a week. We plan to make the trip in the first week of June as wifey's summer vacation begins on June 1st..

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2012 at 17:04. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
damanshaheed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 20:22   #34

I am planning to travel from bangalore to nepal in my 4x4 armada jeep. My main interest is in completing annapurna circuit trek and visiting historical places in nepal. I have fixed to do this in the month of october. Those of you who have crossed over by road can breif me about the permits and financial implications and also other logistical points which have to be followed. I need to know how long can I park my DI TURBO jeep in low temperatures without starting.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M P Sreenivasan View Post
I am planning to travel from bangalore to nepal in my 4x4 armada jeep. My main interest is in completing annapurna circuit trek and visiting historical places in nepal. I have fixed to do this in the month of october. Those of you who have crossed over by road can breif me about the permits and financial implications and also other logistical points which have to be followed. I need to know how long can I park my DI TURBO jeep in low temperatures without starting.
Hi - please refer the "first" post of this thread on page 1. It provides you all the inforation and its pretty binding.

All the best for your trip.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 18:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Oh wow an epic trip in the making! And from what I know, the annapurna circuit is like a 12-15 day trek. So your car will be parked that many days resulting in a total bill of around Indian Rs 4,000 as daily tax while your car wont have moved an inch. On top of that tax for the other days, fuel bill, accommodation costs along the way, and not to mention the food bill from B'lore to ktm and back wont be cheap either.

So how many of you are going on this trip? if its just 2-3 of you then according to my calculations you will be better off just flying to kathmandu i think.
Old 29th July 2012, 19:28   #37
BHPian

Hi Amrish,
Your trip log is really precise and concise, while being beautifully detailed at the same time. Hats off to you buddy. Just went thru the text so will revisit this when I am back on land. Thanks for sharing.
I might send you a few PM's in December.
Regards.
Old 30th July 2012, 06:10   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Oh wow an epic trip in the making! And from what I know, the annapurna circuit is like a 12-15 day trek. So your car will be parked that many days resulting in a total bill of around Indian Rs 4,000 as daily tax while your car wont have moved an inch. On top of that tax for the other days, fuel bill, accommodation costs along the way, and not to mention the food bill from B'lore to ktm and back wont be cheap either.

So how many of you are going on this trip? if its just 2-3 of you then according to my calculations you will be better off just flying to kathmandu i think.
I enjoy driving,trekking and exploring by my own vehicle by road, I have covered all the states from kanyakumari to j & k except north eastern states, which I want to cover next year and cross over to bhutan. It is a great pleasure to go through the travelogue written by you and others to get prepared to explore. myself, wife and one of our trekking friend have formed the team to hit the trail, infact I am in the process of choosing the fourth person to accompany us.
Old 31st July 2012, 11:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Hi Amrish,
Your trip log is really precise and concise, while being beautifully detailed at the same time. Hats off to you buddy. Just went thru the text so will revisit this when I am back on land. Thanks for sharing.
Regards.
Oh thank you for your kind words. And any help you may need I will be more than happy to assist you with what ever knowledge I have, pls feel free to contact me.

Quote:
I enjoy driving,trekking and exploring by my own vehicle by road, I have covered all the states from kanyakumari to j & k except north eastern states, which I want to cover next year and cross over to bhutan. It is a great pleasure to go through the travelogue written by you and others to get prepared to explore. myself, wife and one of our trekking friend have formed the team to hit the trail, infact I am in the process of choosing the fourth person to accompany us.
Good to have someone so well traveled like yourself in the forum. I totally understand now your desire to drive to Nepal. So can you give details of where else you are planning to go apart from doing the Annapurna trek?
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 21:53   #40

Hi Amrish,
It is a great pleasure to read your travelogue, I usually don't plan exhaustively, I just hit the road and manage as and how it comes, my main limitation is pre fixing my take on number of days I take off and also general destination. My aim is to finish the annapurna trek first and then explore while travelling back.
with warm regards
mpsreeni.
Old 1st August 2012, 10:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Hi Amrish,
Regards.
Thank you for your kind words and yes, feel free to PM me anytime and I shall do my best to assist you with what ever info I have.

Quote:
Oh now I see where you are coming from. Well good to have an experienced and well traveled person like yourself among us at Team-Bhp. Just curious to know apart from the Annapurna trekking circuit, where else are u planning to drive/visit inside Nepal?
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:28   #42

Hi Amrish,
I will decide about exploring only after finishing annapurna trek, exploring will depend on how far I am from Bangalore and also how many days left in my travel period.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amrish,
I will decide about exploring only after finishing annapurna trek, exploring will depend on how far I am from Bangalore and also how many days left in my travel period.
Hi there, sorry for the repeated posts, that was a mistake. Good luck with your planning and looking forward to reading your travelogue in the future. Since you have a 4x4 do check out the road from pokhara to Muktinath temple in manang/mustang region. I myself have not seen it or done it, but I have heard rave reviews. A quick google search should provide you with all the necessary info on this route. Cheers!

Last edited by amrisharm : 3rd August 2012 at 12:41.
Old 11th November 2012, 14:40   #44

I drove my armada jeep from bangalore to pokhara (nepal), parked the vehicle and took local taxi to besisahar, from besisahar trekked through manang region to reach mukthinath in 10 days and 121 kms of trail length. travelling by jeep through mustang region reached pokhara back. from pokhara I drove straight to bangalore, total time took for this exploration is 19 days. detailed route and formalities experienced will be written in my next mail.
M P Sreenivasan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 20:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

^^^
I believe a road is being constructed along the Kali Gandaki. Did you encounter it? What does it do to the trekking experience?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks