Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective

The tiger is one of the most recognisable wild animal worlds over. Presently, it occupies only about 7 per cent of its original range. It is the road to extinction, because we do not know enough about it. Because we aren’t interested in it. Many of us get paranoid when we thought of visiting a jungle and see wild animals especially tiger. Till the time i saw a tiger in the wild, i was of the same impression but the desire to see a tiger in the wild was much more than the fear about it.

Therefore, i decided to go to Bandhavgrah Tiger Reserve to see the tigers in the wild, which is one of the finest tiger reserves of India.

I have been visiting Bandhavgarh since November 2010. So, far i have visited four times [November 2010 (five rounds), January 2011 (10 rounds), May 2011 (6 rounds) and the current one in February 2012 for 9 rounds.

It was long-time, i wanted to visit there and finally decided to visit in February 2012 for 10 rounds. Though, tiger is the special attraction at Bandhavgarh but you can see many more things, if you do not see tigers. So, i will try to show you tigers as well as some new things which i got this time.
There are lots of information available here about Bandhavgarh, so i will try not to write them but anybody wants any information about the route, accomodations, safari bookins etc. i will be happy to provide them.
Here, i will try to share more pictures than writeups.

This is a typical Jackle kill.

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-deer-kill-13-copy.jpg

The Ghost Eye: Brown Fish Owl

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-fish-owl171-copy.jpg

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-fish-owl-feb-201252-copy.jpg

Pic 1: Langur Close up, Pic 2: Langur family and pic 3: Langur eating mud because they get salt from it.
Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-langoor27-copy.jpg

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-langoor93-copy.jpg

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-langoor158-copy.jpg

Jungle Bush Quail

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-bush-quaill-feb-201266-copy.jpg

Colour scoop

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-owl13-copy.jpg

Jungle Owlet

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-sharpen-owl68_filtered-copy-2.jpg

Rajbehra Medows: Forest guards on elephants on their regular tracking job

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-rajbehra8-copy.jpg

Spotted deer

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-deer-feb-2012282_filtered-copy.jpg

Bison, which is called Gaur

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-gaur72-copy.jpg

Jackle on the road

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-jackle90-copy.jpg

Pond Heron

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-pond-heron93-copy.jpg

Indian Roller in the morning light.

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-roller-feb-201214-copy.jpg

Sambhar after a mud bath: The colour of the water is red during day time and turns green later part of the day. The guide said it is algae, which changes colour.

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-sambhar72-copy.jpg

Hope you will like.
Regards
Subrat
Subrat Seet is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective

The first picture of the kill, has raised my expectations from this thread sky high. Its a rarity to get a picture of the kill.

Were you able to catch a tiger kill as well? Did you drive down from Mumbai or flew to Nagpur and then drive? more details on the stay please?
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:14   #3
BHPian

Crystal clear pictures with nice compositions. The Indian Roller looks beautiful - you must have been really patient clicking it.

The pond heron looks like it's screaming it's lungs out

What clicking gear saar ?

Regards!
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:15   #4
BHPian

beautiful pictures, subrat!

Keep them coming, I especially liked the heron, spotted (sprinting!) deer and langur family picture.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice images.
I like the pond heron one the most.
Small correction: Its Collared Scops Owl not Colour Scoop
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The first picture of the kill, has raised my expectations from this thread sky high. Its a rarity to get a picture of the kill.

Were you able to catch a tiger kill as well? Did you drive down from Mumbai or flew to Nagpur and then drive? more details on the stay please?
Thank you. I am also waiting to see a tiger with a kill since August 2010 and no luck so far.

Bandhavgarh can be acessed by Air and the nearest Airport is Jabalpur Airport which is a 3 and half hours journey by taxi. Also by train, either from Jabalpur, Katni or Umaria. I took a train from Mumbai to Katni and then hired a taxi. Katni to Tala (Bandhavgarh) is around 110 k.m. and it takes approximately two and half hours. Umaria is twenty minutes from Tala Zone.

Stay: I have stayed in various resorts from Luxury one to basics also. There are resorts from a budget of Rs.400 to Rs.30 K in Taj Group hotels. During my first visit, i stayed in MP Tourism's White tiger lodge. Food is excellent and nice location. Tala zone and the resort has a common fencing. Rates are 3.5 k to 5k including all meals.

Later i stayed in a private resort called 'Naure Heritage'. Superb service, very nice food and good ambience at 3.5 k including tax on AP Basis for two.

There is a budget resort called home called Kum Kum Home. Room only at Rs.400 for two. Stayed there with a group. Nice for bachelors. Food also provided. No luxury at all.

This time stayed in a resort called Tiger inn at Rs.2.5 k including all meals for two. Good food, clean rooms and staffs are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Crystal clear pictures with nice compositions. The Indian Roller looks beautiful - you must have been really patient clicking it.

The pond heron looks like it's screaming it's lungs out

What clicking gear saar ?

Regards!
Thank you so much for liking. I am using Canon 7d and 550D body with 18-55, 55-250 and 100-400 L IS USM lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
beautiful pictures, subrat!

Keep them coming, I especially liked the heron, spotted (sprinting!) deer and langur family picture.
Thank you. i will upload more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Nice images.
I like the pond heron one the most.
Small correction: Its Collared Scops Owl not Colour Scoop
Thank you robi. Thanks for the correction. I always do the mistake with this one.

Regards
Subrat
Subrat Seet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures. Subrat: You have been visiting quite a few parks lately!

Seems that the park authorities have started putting radio collars on the Gaurs. When I went last year, 20 Gaurs were present in the park (imported from Kanha). One was killed by a tiger when we were there. We saw people doing guard duty to ensure that the Gaurs don't cross over into certain territories.

Bandhavgarh is also known for its raptors. Hope you got some good shots of them.
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:12   #8
BHPian

awesome pictures! very nice and clean. I especially like the sambhar after mud bath all glistening and trying to attract its female.
Also the Gaur - it has always intrigued and awed me! such strength and muscle......

coooool.......

I am also planning to do a MP jungle trip - in May. Will be going to all the major parks including - Panna, Bandhavgarh, Kanha, Pench!!
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:32   #9
BHPian

@Subrat,
Knowing the passion you have for wildlife, was wondering that its been some time that we have had a new update on your latest visits. And here we are being treated to such beautiful pictures of bandhavgarh.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Nice pictures. Subrat: You have been visiting quite a few parks lately!

Seems that the park authorities have started putting radio collars on the Gaurs. When I went last year, 20 Gaurs were present in the park (imported from Kanha). One was killed by a tiger when we were there. We saw people doing guard duty to ensure that the Gaurs don't cross over into certain territories.

Bandhavgarh is also known for its raptors. Hope you got some good shots of them.
Thank you Nilanjan Sir. I was unlucky in May 2011. You had visited after me and heard that you got those bison kill and Bamera mating etc. When i started from Kanha in May 2011, i heard park is closed partially because of Mirchiani cubs killed some villagers. Anyways.

Yes, the authority have put collars. What i heard that the bisons are doing well now. Did not get much raftors except few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
awesome pictures! very nice and clean. I especially like the sambhar after mud bath all glistening and trying to attract its female.
Also the Gaur - it has always intrigued and awed me! such strength and muscle......

coooool.......

I am also planning to do a MP jungle trip - in May. Will be going to all the major parks including - Panna, Bandhavgarh, Kanha, Pench!!
Thank you so much for your appreciations. Do visit all these parks. I have done with all these at least once with many drives and many trips to Bandhavgarh.

Offlate, Bandhavgarh tiger sightings have disturbed now. Hope it will stabilise by May 2012. The reasons is that hardly, there are any old tigers. May be once the new tiger/tigress settle in their own territory then it will improve.

Anyways, Bandhavgarh without tiger would be like nothing. Though i did not have very good sightings but can upload few of them.

Early Morning shot @ ISO 800. Seems it is Mukunda Male, who is frequented to Tala zone.

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-ni-sharpen-male-tiger-ban-feb-20123_filtered-copy.jpg

This also Mukunda Male and clicked on the way to Magdhi zone at 5.46 a.m. on the main road. Did not have option but pumped the ISO to 1600 and could manage this much.

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-chorbehra-male-tig-feb-2012105-copy.jpg

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-jackle90-copy.jpg

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-sesh-shaya34-copy.jpg

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-sesh-shaya19-copy.jpg

Bandhavgarh - A Different Perspective-sidhbaba107-copy.jpg

Cheers!
Subrat
Subrat Seet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
@Subrat,
Knowing the passion you have for wildlife, was wondering that its been some time that we have had a new update on your latest visits. And here we are being treated to such beautiful pictures of bandhavgarh.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, wildlife is not a hobby now for me, it has turned into serious passion. Lets see, where it is taking...
Thank you.
Regards
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

That roadside picture is nice! Seems you used a flash :-)

We missed a similar sighting by a minute. One drizzly evening, when we were coming back after a Magadhi drive, we stopped just after entering Tala. A bike driver came and stopped beside us, and told us that just after we crossed, 3 tiger cubs crossed the road. If we had looked back we might have seen them :-(
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:46   #13
BHPian

Some amzaing clicks Subrat.

As you rightly said, this is a place where photos should talk more.
The Apetizers served, want more. And then keep it coming with the main course

PS : Saw more photos just when the above was posted.

PPS : Subrat - The image clicked 5.46am is stunning. A question for you - apart from the ISO setting, can you put a flash in such a situation? The image is seems well lit, but whatever little I have learnt of photographing animals at low light / night, it suggests not to put flash directly onto the animal. I am going for a vacation with possibility of animal shoots, hence this question is most relevant for me right now.

Last edited by advaitlele : 2nd March 2012 at 16:52. Reason: Added PS and PPS
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:36   #14
BHPian

Subrat : "This also Mukunda Male and clicked on the way to Magdhi zone at 5.46 a.m. on the main road. Did not have option but pumped the ISO to 1600 and could manage this much."

Hope you won't mind posting the EXIF for that ? Was it handheld/jeep mounted ? If handheld, in that 5.46 AM light that is a very very steady pair of hands I must say - I'm not sure if just that ISO setting woudl have done that trick though.

Not wrt to this thread, I've seen on other threads where some photographs clearly showed that flashes were used at wildlife ( late evenings/night/early mornings ) : my humble request is not to use flashes.

Last edited by airguitar : 2nd March 2012 at 17:45.
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:32   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The early morning tiger shot is a great effort. I believe its a 7D/100-400 combo. Assuming you were at 400mm (almost everyone using that lens zooms in max), the f stop is 5.6. At that time of the day, with 400mm/f5.6/ISO 1600 its a terrific effort. I assume the shutter speed is definitely not more than 1/20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks