Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 15:03   #31
BHPian

Re: A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar tr

Amazing Pics brother, I thought I have seen snow during my last visit to Shimla, but man this is awesome, fantastic and loving each and every pic to uploaded. You must be having time of you life. hats off to you.
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 02:39   #32
adc
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
O.T: Does the ice on the river break while walking? What happens if your boots get wet in cold water? Do you have to stop and unfreeze your cold feet?

The ice sheet or chadar that is formed and encountered is not of the same consistency all through. With all the weight of a trekker and that of the 8-10 kg backpack, sometimes the ice sheet where it not that firm would crack and crumble, and one of your foot might go in.

But, it would be definitely not like in a manhole or bottomless pit. The vast majority would be that your foot just goes in till the ankle level or little above. By day 1 you would just brush this aside as normal. Let me again assure all, it's a very doable trek, particularly the half trek.

Boots will get wet, particularly where the chadar is not formed and you may have to wade through a short distance.

First of all must have a gumboot, that gives you the option of changing your trek shoe to a gumboot in case of slush ice. One pics of me standing in slash ice do show that.

And then there will be, depending upon conditions, where you would still get water in and we did take in ice cold water as while coming back, the temperatures increased causing the chadar to melt.

Again the myth is there that you will have frostbite or something. Once your feet is wet, wipe out if possible, and then continue the walk or trek. Walking keeps the body warm. Most of us had ice cold water inside the shoes and gumboots while coming back, and we continued with the trek and soon the walking exercise itself made the ice cold water lose it sting.

Last edited by adc : 16th March 2012 at 02:41.
Old 16th March 2012, 12:14   #33
BHPian

Neatly scripted and very well framed photographs buddy! Love those old thumpers which have given way to modern 'me too' bullets! Preserve them at all costs!!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 13:32   #34
BHPian

Simply too good. This is a new perspective to Leh(for me at least!!!). And the trek is a revelation and such a visual treat. Your description of the snaps makes them all the more engaging. I am at work, and just couldn't take my eyes off the shots you've taken. I am feeling so fresh just looking at them, that.. that the post-lunch coffee shot wouldn't be needed today. Thanks!

Kudos!
CareFreeKid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 20:10   #35
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant pics and a brilliant travelogue. Felt as if I'm almost there.

Hats Off to you for taking up the plunge to do the Chadar Trek. Take a bow adc sirji.

Rated a well deserving 5-stars !!
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 08:03   #36
adc
Senior - BHPian

Thank you to all the readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Love those old thumpers which have given way to modern 'me too' bullets! Preserve them at all costs!!
We do take care of our Enfields and these two, 1968 and 1984, are going to stay and ride with us.

Now that said, though I wrote about "neutral finder and cast-iron stuff", things progress and for the better -- so too has Royal Enfield when they started with Electra series and then after going through the new engine formative years, it has now quite stabilized through the Classic 350 and 500. They are definitely counted among the Bullets around.

So, as much as one will feel nostalgic, the new Classics/Thunderbirds, and of course so too their riders, have everything going on for them.

Last edited by adc : 17th March 2012 at 08:04.
Old 17th March 2012, 16:46   #37
BHPian

So You got a 60D now that a news? But the picture quality has been excellent and taking into account that you did not had tripod. Now that you have ridden and trekked are we going to see travelogue in this mode?

Whatever Thanks for sharing this travelogue.
Rup_Chatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 08:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

adc sir another wonderful TL from your stable. Tenacity is definitely the perfect word and after going through your TLs earlier i know you have loads of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
And tenacity is one big underlying basic for any travel.

you must be able to to differentiate and feel something different from the previous day and thus the enjoyment and fulfillment would be the maximum - otherwise you are just going to think by the 2nd day, what a "freaking ice walk" and move yourself somewhat monotonously between camp to camp; soon or later you would be asking yourself if I can just "walk fast" and spend a day in Leh! Believe me, this thoughts do come!
The above i feel is also true during the summer tourist seasons when one has to appreciate and differentiate the natural beauty all around or else someone might think what is this only mountains all around.

One question: Approximately how many KMs is covered everyday in the trek? What was the total cost for you only for the trekking?
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 09:27   #39
BHPian

Thanks! a ton for sharing and keep them coming. Its one thing to do such treks but another to take time to write such a wonderful travelogue about it. The write up and the photos transcend one to the beautiful Chadar itself. Had read about Chadar in the Geo magazine, but your write up makes more justice. I am sure a place like Chadar would have instilled thoughts and images in your mind that are just beyond words and snaps.

Last edited by rohi_rao : 18th March 2012 at 09:37. Reason: Fixed typo
rohi_rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 11:18   #40
BHPian

Thanks a ton ADC sir for sharing.

Another place that I wish to do in my lifetime.

I saw loads of snow at Narkanda this year, but I guess it was just the tip of the Iceberg.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 19:01   #41
BHPian

No clue on how I missed this wonderful thread for so long. What a wonderful place!!! The pics are unbelievably good. I just wonder how it would have felt to see it in real.

Just one word for you - "RESPECT"
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 17:56   #42
BHPian

And thank you Biraj, for bumping this thread up today and drawing my attention. I had missed it earlier too.

Anirban, some day I am going to take a photo of myself with you and frame it for posterity so I can tell my grandkids that I was lucky to communicate with and follow a great explorer's travelogues on TBHP. One word: JIYO !!!
mr.sinha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 19:16   #43
Team-BHP Support

ADC, Dont know how I missed this BIG one! Speechless.

I totally agree to your point of view of weighing the words "tenacity" against "difficulty" in the right order and proportion!
These are some of the moments, which every may not get to live through.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 19:31   #44
BHPian

Brilliant! Priceless!

Brought back zillions of memories of this place! Never done in winter though. Your photo-log gave a virtual tour to heaven!

Now need to plan for winter trip there!
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 14:46   #45
adc
Senior - BHPian

It is of course a pleasant surprise and feeling when an old travelogue comes up again to the front - in fact I do go through it again myself and relive those wonderful experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
One question: Approximately how many KMs is covered everyday in the trek? What was the total cost for you only for the trekking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Now need to plan for winter trip there!
Average would 10 km, with range being around 8-14 km, and hours ranging from 5 to 8 hrs - avg thus being 6 km

The lowest cost offered by agencies range round Rs. 21,000. In fact, Mr Qayoom whom I met over there is having his own Chadar trek batch right now and since he is a Ladakhi, he is doing that the trek at Rs 19,000 for the 2013 batch. If someone is interested one could call him, ph nos at - www.altitudedadventure.in

I have contributed the slider photographs to his website and is NOT arranging the trip, so you talk directly with him.

Mr and Mrs Qayoom of altitudeadventure.in, met them again during the cycle trip to Leh
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3657.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
No clue on how I missed this wonderful thread for so long. What a wonderful place!!! The pics are unbelievably good. I just wonder how it would have felt to see it in real.

Just one word for you - "RESPECT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
And thank you Biraj, for bumping this thread up today and drawing my attention. I had missed it earlier too.

Anirban, some day I am going to take a photo of myself with you and frame it for posterity so I can tell my grandkids that I was lucky to communicate with and follow a great explorer's travelogues on TBHP. One word: JIYO !!!
This appreciation is to the point of the embarassement! Again if I can, most you of all can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
ADC, Dont know how I missed this BIG one! Speechless.

I totally agree to your point of view of weighing the words "tenacity" against "difficulty" in the right order and proportion!
These are some of the moments, which every may not get to live through.
Even during the solo cycle trip to Leh from Manali and then summit mountaineering trek to Stok Kangri , it is the "tenacity" and not perceived "difficulty" that pulled me through. And that travelogue is still pending..

And the re-listing of this thread and me going through the travelogue again myself even, prompted to go through the image folders and see what more pics are there.

The tower against the ice mountain background

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3713.jpg

A Ladakhi village house, outskirts of Leh
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3753.jpg

On the Zanskar Chadar ice

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3918.jpg

Sled marks on hard glass ice

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3898.jpg

By day
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4045.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4111.jpg

And still brilliant at night

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4262.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3812.jpg

Frozen stiff

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4491.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4920.jpg

Gold n Blue

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4598.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4782.jpg

Mega ice mountain landscape
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4962.jpg

And trek goes on

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4925.jpg

Among all the hard work, the support people are always there with a smile

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_5545.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4935.jpg

Through the curtain

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_5770.jpg

A monastery

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_5936.jpg

Leh roads cut across the winter town
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_5946.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_5968.jpg

Leh Palace and surroundings
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_5956.jpg

Again, thanks for all the appreciation and making me re-live this wonderful travel!

Last edited by adc : 20th November 2012 at 14:57.
adc is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed