Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 10:52   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut

4th Day Continued.. Reached Siliguri at 2:15 p.m, filled up and got an FE of 12.18 kmpl. This included the trip to Sandhakphu and I was quite amazed at the FE figures. Started again from Siliguri at around 2:30 p.m. Lost about 25 minutes at Dalkhola railway crossing and then the drive was smooth till Farakka Barrage. Reached Farakka at 7 p.m. Got stuck at a huge truck jam caused by the broken axle of a truck. Waited for an hour and then could not stop myself from getting the Bolero down on the side. The truck drivers warned me not to do so, but having 4x4 does not help in those situations. You start feeling invincible. Just before that I was explaining to my wife about the innumerable mod options on the Bolero to make it a better offroader. Anyways, the Bolero went hurtling down the 20 feet slope. All was going good till we came to a place where a Nala crossed our path and we had nowhere to go. I had to back up the entire stretch. Made a mistake at one point and the soft ground on the side pulled the Bolero in. I did not wait a second, put the car into 4L and after a few seconds the Bolero got out of the mess. After that we had to find a place where we could get up to the highway again. Found a place and to the utter amazement of my wife, the truckers and a few private car owners, the White Tusker went up that slope smoothly. After this incident, wifey has named the 4L as "Magic Potion" . Fighting for about two and half hours through that jam, we finally reached Moregram at 11:30 p.m. Drive from then on was smooth again and reached home at 2:30 a.m. Had filled up in between and got an FE of 13 kmpl. We had started the trip at 2456 Kms and reached home at 4356 Kms, 1900 Kms on the dot.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 10:49   #32
BHPian

re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The truck drivers warned me not to do so, but having 4x4 does not help in those situations. You start feeling invincible. Just before that I was explaining to my wife about the innumerable mod options on the Bolero to make it a better offroader. Anyways, the Bolero went hurtling down the 20 feet slope. All was going good till we came to a place where a Nala crossed our path and we had nowhere to go. I had to back up the entire stretch. Made a mistake at one point and the soft ground on the side pulled the Bolero in. I did not wait a second, put the car into 4L and after a few seconds the Bolero got out of the mess. After that we had to find a place where we could get up to the highway again. Found a place and to the utter amazement of my wife, the truckers and a few private car owners, the White Tusker went up that slope smoothly. After this incident, wifey has named the 4L as "Magic Potion" .
Beautiful travelogue. I have been scared of the broken state of NH34 and hence never planned a trip in a sedan in these destinations. I can see that you are loving your 4X4 now . Seriously travelogues like yours and the one's by HVK sir have inspired me enough to get my own 4X4. Only thing is having bought a sedan recently, can only probably look at options south of 10 lacs for now , and I know the choices are very limited here. Lets see, the research is on.
samarjitdhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 11:04   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Beautiful travelogue. I have been scared of the broken state of NH34 and hence never planned a trip in a sedan in these destinations. I can see that you are loving your 4X4 now . Seriously travelogues like yours and the one's by HVK sir have inspired me enough to get my own 4X4. Only thing is having bought a sedan recently, can only probably look at options south of 10 lacs for now , and I know the choices are very limited here. Lets see, the research is on.
Thanks Samarjit. The NH34 will be a dream road in a few years time if the current work progress continues. Two laning has been started in many places and the basic foundation has been completed. Once the tarmac is laid, the travel time to Siliguri should reduce drastically.
This side of 10 lacs, you have options like Scorpio LX (new), Bolero SLX (new), Bolero LX (new), Thar (new), Gypsy (new/pre-owned), Pajero (Pre-owned). Not too bad . I think Scorpio LX 4x4 should be the best option among these if you plan to travel long distances with family.
Old 21st March 2012, 11:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Samarjit. The NH34 will be a dream road in a few years time if the current work progress continues. Two laning has been started in many places and the basic foundation has been completed. Once the tarmac is laid, the travel time to Siliguri should reduce drastically.
In fact a couple of days back I had read that the government has approved higher payouts for land acquisition to do 4 laning of all of NH34 . Hope it comes through in reality.

Quote:
This side of 10 lacs, you have options like Scorpio LX (new), Bolero SLX (new), Bolero LX (new), Thar (new), Gypsy (new/pre-owned), Pajero (Pre-owned). Not too bad . I think Scorpio LX 4x4 should be the best option among these if you plan to travel long distances with family.
I actually had looked at options in Scorpio but didn't come across LX4X4. Its only available as an option in VLX as per their website. Am I missing something here?
Old 21st March 2012, 12:04   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I actually had looked at options in Scorpio but didn't come across LX4X4. Its only available as an option in VLX as per their website. Am I missing something here?
Scorpio LX is available. The threads on Scorpio LX 4x4 on tbhp are -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launched.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...io-lx-4wd.html
Old 21st March 2012, 12:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Aah I stand corrected then. Somehow Mahindra has not listed this in their public web site. Will check with the dealers here. Sorry for going so much on this thread. Seriously considering a 4X4 now to join seasoned road warriors and check out unexplored vistas of this country.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Next night we did a campfire with some Israeli backpackers, and feasted on some chicken bought from the village a few kms down. While the negotiations were going on, our local guide helped himself to a few round of Roxy. On the way, he and my friend (who had been given the money to buy chicken) decided that since the chicken were about to die, they deserved a last drink (the guys were somewhat sloshed and feeling sentimental). So in the middle of the forest track, they started force feeding the two chickens some Roxy. One lay comatose after having some of the fiery stuff. So they put it down and focused on the other one.

Big mistake. The comatose chicken had a delayed reaction of super stimulating fiery liquid. It gave a squawk, jumped 10 feet into the air and then ran down the hillside forest. Securing the other chicken, the guys gave chase, but couldn't catch it.
I laughed so loud that the peon came in inquiring if i wanted something when i read this Nilanjan. I can only imagine the scene..its like something straight out of a Shakespearean comedy. Very well narrated.

BlackPearl that was an awesome travelogue. I would call you "ADC junior" but only his son who has done more road trips to exotic locales in his 6 years than me in my 38 deserves that particular title. It was a very will written thread with great pics also. My only worry was that you seem to put too much faith in 4X4 systems.
Quote:
....huge truck jam caused by the broken axle of a truck. Waited for an hour and then could not stop myself from getting the Bolero down on the side. The truck drivers warned me not to do so, but having 4x4 does not help in those situations. You start feeling invincible. Just before that I was explaining to my wife about the innumerable mod options on the Bolero to make it a better offroader. Anyways, the Bolero went hurtling down the 20 feet slope. All was going good till we came to a place where a Nala crossed our path and we had nowhere to go. I had to back up the entire stretch. Made a mistake at one point and the soft ground on the side pulled the Bolero in. I did not wait a second, put the car into 4L and after a few seconds the Bolero got out of the mess. After that we had to find a place where we could get up to the highway again. Found a place and to the utter amazement of my wife, the truckers and a few private car owners, the White Tusker went up that slope smoothly. After this incident, wifey has named the 4L as "Magic Potion" .
Please dont take this the wrong way as i only mention it out of a sense of kinship that we as TBHP members share.

All 4X4's have some limitations.

Before going down any steep muddy or slippery paths it is imperative that you make a small recce on foot before you commit the vehicle. Also our vehicles come with All terrain tyres which are good but not ideal for tricky offroading as mud and snow tyres are. 4x4 should ideally only be in a convoy of minimum two to three cars and never on ones own.Some recovery gear like thick nylon ropes and a shovel are also imperative. If the vehicle is equipped with a winch then that would make such adventures less risky.

All the same the White Tusker (nice name..wish i had thought of it) seemed to be well up to the task so all's well that ends well. I hope i did not offend you in any way.

Look forward to some more travelogues from you

Last edited by Manuuj : 21st March 2012 at 14:32.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 14:40   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
BlackPearl that was an awesome travelogue. I would call you "ADC junior" but only his son who has done more road trips to exotic locales in his 6 years than me in my 38 deserves that particular title. It was a very will written thread with great pics also. My only worry was that you seem to put too much faith in 4X4 systems.
Please dont take this the wrong way as i only mention it out of a sense of kinship that we as TBHP members share.
All 4X4's have some limitations.
Before going down any steep muddy or slippery paths it is imperative that you make a small recce on foot before you commit the vehicle. Also our vehicles come with All terrain tyres which are good but not ideal for tricky offroading as mud and snow tyres are. 4x4 should ideally only be in a convoy of minimum two to three cars and never on ones own.Some recovery gear like thick nylon ropes and a shovel are also imperative. If the vehicle is equipped with a winch then that would make such adventures less risky.
Thanks Manuuj and I am not offended at all because whaterver you have said is for my own good. If I keep on going like this I am in for a rude shock someday. I have to be more knowledgeable and come out of this utopian world that I am currently living in. I have thought about all the accessories that you have mentioned and plan to get them as soon as possible so that this does not happen in future. Thanks once again for the advice.

Quote:
All the same the White Tusker (nice name..wish i had thought of it) seemed to be well up to the task so all's well that ends well. I hope i did not offend you in any way.
Look forward to some more travelogues from you
Thanks. Fellow bhpian Incognito (very infrequent on tbhp) has given this name

Last edited by BlackPearl : 21st March 2012 at 14:42.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:09   #39
BHPian

Wow what a great drive! A true 5 star travelogue indeed. And hats off for attempting to drive to Sandakphu. I was wondering what model bloero you were driving so did a search on Team-bhp and read your other thread on the vehicle as well.

Just a few questions,

1) while negotiating the hairpin turns on the way to Sandakphu, were you able to make the turns in one go or did u have to do a bit of backing up?

2) Also Do you think a Gypsy King will make it up to the top? Considering the Max torque is achieved at a much much higher RPM? I think its like above 4,000rpm (feel free to correct me if i am wrong).

3) Also would it not have been easier just to get the Bolero Di 4x4? I am sure you have valid reasons for picking the Lx 4x4 over the Di 4x4, could you share them please
Old 21st March 2012, 17:55   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Wow what a great drive! A true 5 star travelogue indeed. And hats off for attempting to drive to Sandakphu.
Thanks a lot amrisharm.

My answers in bold below..
Quote:
I was wondering what model bolero you were driving so did a search on Team-bhp and read your other thread on the vehicle as well.

Just a few questions,

1) while negotiating the hairpin turns on the way to Sandakphu, were you able to make the turns in one go or did u have to do a bit of backing up?

While going uphill I was able to make the turns in one go. But while coming down, initially I was trying to stick to the inner line of the curve (as I was a bit scared) and that was a mistake. It did not give me enough space and I had to back up to be able to complete the turns. After a few turns, I was doing better in tackling them.

2) Also Do you think a Gypsy King will make it up to the top? Considering the Max torque is achieved at a much much higher RPM? I think its like above 4,000rpm (feel free to correct me if i am wrong).

I have not seen any Gypsy not being able to go where the Jeeps have gone and the Bolero is much heavier than the jeeps. But saying that, I have not driven a gypsy, so I don't know the strengths and weaknesses. IMHO, a Gypsy will be able to go to Sandakphu.

3) Also would it not have been easier just to get the Bolero Di 4x4? I am sure you have valid reasons for picking the Lx 4x4 over the Di 4x4, could you share them please

The Sales person had said that it would take the same amount of time if I had ordered the LX or the Di. Since the LX was costing about 20K more, I thought it must be a better model as at that time I did not have any idea about the differences. It was much later that I came to know about the differences between LX and Di . So you can say that it was an uninformed decision.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:35   #41
BHPian

Have been to sandakphu way back in 2005 with my wife. The journey was amazing to say the least.

It was an experience in itself to go in the Land Rovers which were waiting at the junction on the main road. Hope the White tusker enjoyed every rock of it.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 22:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

I must say some of the pictures are really well shot/composed. Especially for the pictures of the W-Tusker against the scenery and scenes from planters. A white Bolero never looked this good.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post

Hi,
I had a 410 hardtop. On really tight steep tarmac hairpins, it was a royal pain! 413 users can fill you in.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:28   #44
BHPian

Excellent Travelogue. Great work on picture taking as well.
One day I will take a trip to India just for these road trips. I love road trip, God knows I need one so bad. I miss mountains, but I am stuck behind the desk typing this and won't be able to run to the mountains until end of July.
Gujarati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:41   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Have been to sandakphu way back in 2005 with my wife. The journey was amazing to say the least.

It was an experience in itself to go in the Land Rovers which were waiting at the junction on the main road. Hope the White tusker enjoyed every rock of it.
All the people I know who have done this trip in Land Rovers vow not to do it a second time. They are much happy to trek to Sandakphu. Are the Land Rovers really so uncomfortable? I am so lazy that trekking is not an option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I must say some of the pictures are really well shot/composed. Especially for the pictures of the W-Tusker against the scenery and scenes from planters. A white Bolero never looked this good.
Thanks a ton 1100D. Even I had never thought that the Bolero with that horrible tooth would look good in pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gujarati View Post
Excellent Travelogue. Great work on picture taking as well.
Thanks Gujarati. Hope you can make your trip to the mountains in July.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks