Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:20   #46
BHPian

re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut

Excellent travelogue and pics.Your bolero was quite up to the task then.

Since you have encountered the terrain first hand I have a query.Is it possible to go to Sandakphu in a 2WD SUV or is 4WD imperative..I dont intend to take it off the road or anything but the roads enroute to Sandakphu would they require 4WD?

Your travelogue tempts me to finally get started on road trips that I had planned ever since my college days but then it just never happens once you join office.You are lucky to actually have the time to explore such beautiful landscapes.
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:32   #47
Team-BHP Support

re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Excellent travelogue and pics.Your bolero was quite up to the task then.

Since you have encountered the terrain first hand I have a query.Is it possible to go to Sandakphu in a 2WD SUV or is 4WD imperative..I dont intend to take it off the road or anything but the roads enroute to Sandakphu would they require 4WD?
Frankly speaking that is a very tough question for me and I don't know the answer. RWD is a boon on the hills. Even with such low power, the Bolero easily pulls up many slopes. Engines with more torque low down the range and with grippier tires should have more advantage even in 2wd mode. Good 2wd SUVs with above critieria should be able to go up most of the slopes that we encountered. But the last stretch after Beekaybhanjan is extremely steep and I have doubts whether a 2wd SUV will be able to do it or not. I am saying once again, I have not driven powerful SUVs, so I don't have any idea about their capabilities e.g. I have read on tbhp that on road, the Scorpio is very powerful, but on steep slopes the new CRDe engine is not that good as the previous generation non-crdi ones. Adc da and I are planning for a drive to Sandakphu. Since his Safari is 2wd, we will be able to give you a better answer after that trip.

Quote:
Your travelogue tempts me to finally get started on road trips that I had planned ever since my college days but then it just never happens once you join office.You are lucky to actually have the time to explore such beautiful landscapes.
If you start going on road trips, it will be a great reward for writing this travelogue . I am so lazy that I did not put much time on my previous travelogues, most of the time I did not even write one. But Sandakphu is special and made me write this one.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd March 2012 at 12:42.
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Frankly speaking that is a very tough question for me and I don't know the answer. RWD is a boon on the hills. Even with such low power, the Bolero easily pulls up many slopes. Engines with more torque low down the range and with grippier tires should have more advantage even in 2wd mode. Good 2wd SUVs with above critieria should be able to go up most of the slopes that we encountered. But the last stretch after Beekaybhanjan is extremely steep and I have doubts whether a 2wd SUV will be able to do it or not. I am saying once again, I have not driven powerful SUVs, so I don't have any idea about their capabilities e.g. I have read on tbhp that on road, the Scorpio is very powerful, but on steep slopes the new CRDe engine is not that good as the previous generation non-crdi ones. Adc da and I are planning for a drive to Sandakphu. Since his Safari is 2wd, we will be able to give you a better answer after that trip.

If you start going on road trips, it will be a great reward for writing this travelogue . I am so lazy that I did not put much time on my previous travelogues, most of the time I did not even write one. But Sandakphu is special and made me write this one.
Thank you for the unbiased reply to my query.The reason I ask is cuz about the same time you put up your ownership report on the white tusker, Id come across a very sparingly used Bolero Storm with the CRDE unit churning out 97ps/260 nm.It got me thinking whether this could be the ideal vehicle to get started on those roadtrips with all that rough terrain thrown in, my logic being based on the fact that it was putting out almost 50% more power/torque than the standard Bolero at the almost the same rpm levels.Anyways I just didnt go ahead at that time although the vehicle is still available.

A travelogue like yours has again got me wondering if I should for once plonk the money that Id have ideally used to buy a new Swift VDi on the SUV..Also do you plan to add stuff like a winch and the works considering the offroading youd be doing on such stretches?N last but not the least does the bounciness in the rear substantially reduce if you drive the Bolero at a brisk pace?Asking cuz I guess you've mentioned in the Travelogue above that the ride is quite bouncy at slow speeds.

Last edited by octane1002 : 22nd March 2012 at 13:57.
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
All the people I know who have done this trip in Land Rovers vow not to do it a second time. They are much happy to trek to Sandakphu. Are the Land Rovers really so uncomfortable? I am so lazy that trekking is not an option for me.
It is uncomfortable if the Jeep has 10 folks in it. However if only 4 people are travelling, it is ok. The stretch is as it is rocky.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:27   #50
Team-BHP Support

I have a few videos of the route but they were all taken with the camera held sidewise. Does anybody know of any software that can rotate a video

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
N last but not the least does the bounciness in the rear substantially reduce if you drive the Bolero at a brisk pace?Asking cuz I guess you've mentioned in the Travelogue above that the ride is quite bouncy at slow speeds.
Yes, the bounciness reduces if the Bolero is driven at a brisk pace over pot-holed roads. However it remains bouncy over bumps irrespective of the speed.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:48   #51
BHPian

BlackPearl,

Great trip and great pictures. And great climbing by the Bolero.

However, I lament the fact that it seems the "road" is leading to the destruction of a beloved trekking route.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:22   #52
BHPian

BlackPearl, quick question. Do you have any contacts, phone nos. for making bookings in Planter's Club in Darjeeling? How was your experience and stay at this place?
Old 24th March 2012, 08:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Do you have any contacts, phone nos. for making bookings in Planter's Club in Darjeeling?
Dear Samarjit Sahab,
This link will give you most of the important telephone numbers in Darjeeling, including the Planters Club.
Important Telephone Nos of Darjeeling
Hope I could be of any help.
Regards,
Rahul
rahul4640 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 22:21   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
BlackPearl, quick question. Do you have any contacts, phone nos. for making bookings in Planter's Club in Darjeeling? How was your experience and stay at this place?
The Darjeeling Club Ltd.
7-Nehru Road, Darjeeling - 734 101
Secretary's Office (91)-354-2254348
Reception (91)-354-2254349
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 00:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

A fantastic travelogue. Well shot photos, great narration and a gripping sense of occasion throughout the narrative. Above all, congrats for buying a 4X4 and putting it through its intended use so soon!

Will look forward to more threads like this from you. That said, get the Bolero a set of AT tyres and (if possible) a winch before you embark on more 4X4 journeys!
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 00:20   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
A fantastic travelogue. Well shot photos, great narration and a gripping sense of occasion throughout the narrative. Above all, congrats for buying a 4X4 and putting it through its intended use so soon!
Thanks a lot predatorwheelz.
What has happened to your Nomad project?
Quote:
Will look forward to more threads like this from you. That said, get the Bolero a set of AT tyres and (if possible) a winch before you embark on more 4X4 journeys!
The Bolero has come with AT Maxxis Bravo 751 tyres. Need to save some money for the winch . Got the AC installed today after 2 and half days of fight.
Old 1st April 2012, 18:15   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
BlackPearl,

Great trip and great pictures. And great climbing by the Bolero.

However, I lament the fact that it seems the "road" is leading to the destruction of a beloved trekking route.
Thanks johy. I agree that the road if more frequented by cars will bring doom for trekking, but it helps the lazy people like us to get the magnificent view of the Kanchenjungha.
Old 6th April 2012, 16:52   #58
Team-BHP Support

A few videos from the trip -

BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 18:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! The tight turns video is scary!
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 18:44   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome tracks . Comparable to Chamba Pass. HVK, Jeep Captaen, Bolbolero and Mumbai Roadsters.. your next ride.
Harshavarthan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed