Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 20:53   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Awesome pictures Adc Da. I will put up some pictures once I come back on Tuesday from the Koochbihar-Lava-Lolegaon-Charcoal trip.
This is the third trip to N. Bengal in two months!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Sometimes I think these guys (they work in the same company incidentally) have employed body doubles who attend office for them while they are off-roading and on-roading their way to glory.
At this rate even body doubles will need backup.
So
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Some people have a lot of free time and freedom.
1100D will have to spill the beans.

Enviously Yours
Sutripta
Old 30th April 2012, 05:50   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I just have a few questions, firstly how much was the accommodation and how was it? decent? Do you need advance booking or are there enough places to stay there? I am thinking of going there with family so is the accommodation acceptable for women and children?
The double bed room at Maneybhanjang cost us Rs 300/day. "Decent" is a very relative term. I will post the pictures for you to decide. The room rent at Sandakphu was Rs. 600/day and that at Phalut was Rs 500/day. For us it was ok, but I am sure wifey would not have liked the accomodation mainly because of the restrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
This is the third trip to N. Bengal in two months!

At this rate even body doubles will need backup.
Enviously Yours
Sutripta
Ha ha.. yes 3rd trip to N. Bengal in 2 months or 4 in 4 months . Currently at Charcoal. It is a very nice place.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 30th April 2012 at 05:53.
Old 30th April 2012, 11:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha.. yes 3rd trip to N. Bengal in 2 months or 4 in 4 months . Currently at Charcoal. It is a very nice place.
I have seen and heard of an SEZ in Siliguri I think. I strongly suggest you guys lobby hard in your organization to open an office there exclusively for you .

That way you can have the pork platter for breakfast at Keventers everyday . Added bonus is you don't have to suffer NH34 at all.
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:13   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have seen and heard of an SEZ in Siliguri I think. I strongly suggest you guys lobby hard in your organization to open an office there exclusively for you .

That way you can have the pork platter for breakfast at Keventers everyday . Added bonus is you don't have to suffer NH34 at all.
That will be excellent if it really happens. Me and my wife would be the first in line to get a transfer there.

Came back last night from Charkhole via the Moregram-Siuri-Bolpur-Bardhaman route. It is in far better shape than the Krishnanagar route though about 80 Kms longer.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:53   #80
Team-BHP Support

When we reached Phalut we received a royal treatment. Threeland Sherpa (I am not sure if I spelled it right) told us that ours was the first Bolero in Phalut. Only a Marshall and a Mahindra Pickup had gone there before apart from the regular Land Rovers. A few pictures -

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-dsc_5725.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-dsc_5545.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-dsc_5527.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-dsc_5507.jpg

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-dsc_5493.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:14   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Came back last night from Charkhole via the Moregram-Siuri-Bolpur-Bardhaman route. It is in far better shape than the Krishnanagar route though about 80 Kms longer.
Hope there will be a separate travelogue for this trip. How long did this route take? What were the potential time savings factoring in the usual traffic jams and the horrendous conditions of NH34?
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:57   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hope there will be a separate travelogue for this trip.
Tbhpian debarshim will be creating a new travelogue for this trip with all the details.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous, thanks for pointing me to this.

Quote:
Threeland Sherpa (I am not sure if I spelled it right) told us that ours was the first Bolero in Phalut. Only a Marshall and a Mahindra Pickup had gone there before apart from the regular Land Rovers.
Will seek more details offline. Probably will need to show the Sherpa, the creature comforts of Power windows, Power steering, steering mounted audio controls etc! (Just kidding)

But since, when I make this trip, as usual I will carry my parents along, will need to be doubly sure about accomodation and any hazards (non road related).
Old 7th May 2012, 13:23   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Fabulous, thanks for pointing me to this.

Will seek more details offline. Probably will need to show the Sherpa, the creature comforts of Power windows, Power steering, steering mounted audio controls etc! (Just kidding)

But since, when I make this trip, as usual I will carry my parents along, will need to be doubly sure about accommodation and any hazards (non road related).
Definitely, we can meet sometime and discuss. I need some help from you regarding Jerry can and the roof rack.
Old 14th May 2012, 00:50   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for someone to do the Dumka - Bhagalpur - Purnea route and report back.
Yes Sutriptada, today I could manage to get the phone number of a gentleman, who happens to be the manager of a guest house at Messanjore. He told me that he frequently visits Dumka to buy provisions. He also said that the main road is not in very good shape but there is another good road which will lead me to Bhagalpur Bypass Road, inside Dumka town. And so far my knowledge goes, rest of the road is in good condition, with repairs done recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Rahul -da would be on this route by around May end, most probably.
ADC-da, hope your fever have receded and your health is improving fast. Wish you a speedy recovery. I have even told my boss that I shall apply for leave within a fortnight. Although he did not grant my leave yet, he did not say no. And I am very much optimistic that I shall be able to leave Calcutta on 25th or on 26th of this month.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:42   #86
BHPian

One of the road pictures (last on page 5) looks more like great wall of China.

Its really surprising to see such bad roads still. Things like these may have fuelled the new thrust to the Gorkhaland movement.

But the best part is to see the many generations old LR still doing their job right.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 14th May 2012 at 17:45.
Old 14th May 2012, 20:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
nd I am very much optimistic that I shall be able to leave Calcutta on 25th or on 26th of this month.
Hi,
Lets see if we can meet up before you leave.

On your travels, do you carry your computer with you?
Does your car have a cigarette lighter/ power socket?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th May 2012, 21:45   #88
BHPian

Quote:
He also said that the main road is not in very good shape but there is another good road which will lead me to Bhagalpur Bypass Road, inside Dumka town. And so far my knowledge goes, rest of the road is in good condition, with repairs done recently.
Is this not SH23 which is marked in Google Maps? I am very interested in your trip now as I have always felt thwarted by having to make a North Bengal trip through NH34. Will wait for your travelogue and keeping fingers crossed that you do get your leave approved
Old 15th May 2012, 00:10   #89
BHPian

Quote:
On your travels, do you carry your computer with you? Does your car have a cigarette lighter/ power socket?
It does. Unfortunately I do not carry a computer on the move.
Quote:
Will wait for your travelogue and keeping fingers crossed that you do get your leave approved
I am just inquisitive about this road and you may say that possibly I am too much eager to have a first hand look myself. But please remember that taking this route would make a considerable amount of detour.
Old 15th May 2012, 18:43   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Waiting for someone to do the Dumka - Bhagalpur - Purnea route and report back.

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Is this not SH23 which is marked in Google Maps? I am very interested in your trip now as I have always felt thwarted by having to make a North Bengal trip through NH34. Will wait for your travelogue and keeping fingers crossed that you do get your leave approved
Quote:
I am just inquisitive about this road and you may say that possibly I am too much eager to have a first hand look myself. But please remember that taking this route would make a considerable amount of detour.
We took the route shown in the map while coming back and it is in very good shape. From Moregram to Dalkhola NH34 is bearable and does not take a whole lot of time to travel. With the road work going on I am quite optimistic that we can do Kolkata-Siliguri in 9 hours in future provided Dalkhola level crossing does not play spoilsport.

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut-map.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks