Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 14:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!

Continuing with the TL..

After our first dekkho at the queen of the jungle - we all returned back to the resort satisfied and happy.

It was time for enjoying the facilities of the resort and doing some activities available. Some pictures.

Club Mahindra Gir
Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1040953.jpg

Beautiful pool
Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-img_3215.jpg

Target practise
Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-img_3252.jpg

Dining area of the resort
Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1040668.jpg

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1040695.jpg

Trying my hand at archery
Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-img_3216.jpg

Next up was our evening safari and this time - we came across a full pride - a lion, 2 lioness and 3 cubs. But looking at the pictures - i wince at the bad quality of the pics. Could not find worthwhile pics to share from that safari barring a couple.

Waiting for our turn at the dekkho of the lion pride
Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1050040.jpg

King of the jungle
Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1050176.jpg

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-p1050211.jpg

Need to visit Gir again - to photograph the magnificent animal in its habitat.

Next day we had to checkout from the resort and catch a train back to Ahmedabad and then a flight back to Delhi. The journey was uneventful - and all of us came back happy and re-charged from the vacations.
sach.sri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 17:58   #17
BHPian

Sach.sri, this thread looked like a deja vu for me, coz everything you mentioned, the places you visited, the experiences you shared are exactly the same that I experienced this Easter weekend. We just did one safari trip and were lucky to spot two young male lions who are supposedly brothers.

Your comments about the rattling journey, the way spotting is arranged in Gir, spotting a mongoose, spotting those skulls, visiting Nagao beach, staying at Veraval, etc. I have exactly those same experiences to share and I must tell you, this travelogue is yours just because you have written it, else everything looks like it's mine. Seems like you missed the Diu Fort. It's a place worth visiting, unless you don' like visiting forts or historic monuments.

One thing I wanted to know is how did you arrange 5 safaris, I mean how did you manage to get 5 safari slots. We faced quite a lot of problems and couldn't get the morning safari slot due to some insincere souls who make a quick buck at the cost of jeopardising chances of genuine tourists. Please let me know how you booked and arranged for the safaris, as I am planning to visit this place again, albeit a bit more leisurely.

Once again, thanks for sharing this travelogue. Love it!

Regards,

Saleem.
Old 9th April 2012, 18:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Sach.sri, this thread looked like a deja vu for me, coz everything you mentioned, the places you visited, the experiences you shared are exactly the same that I experienced this Easter weekend. We just did one safari trip and were lucky to spot two young male lions who are supposedly brothers.

Your comments about the rattling journey, the way spotting is arranged in Gir, spotting a mongoose, spotting those skulls, visiting Nagao beach, staying at Veraval, etc. I have exactly those same experiences to share and I must tell you, this travelogue is yours just because you have written it, else everything looks like it's mine. Seems like you missed the Diu Fort. It's a place worth visiting, unless you don' like visiting forts or historic monuments.
Thanks Saleem. Pls do post your TL as well it would be good to see it from your eyes.

Like i mentioned earlier - my dad used to work in Gujarat, and i have previously visited the Diu fort - so gave it a miss this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
One thing I wanted to know is how did you arrange 5 safaris, I mean how did you manage to get 5 safari slots. We faced quite a lot of problems and couldn't get the morning safari slot due to some insincere souls who make a quick buck at the cost of jeopardising chances of genuine tourists. Please let me know how you booked and arranged for the safaris, as I am planning to visit this place again, albeit a bit more leisurely.

Once again, thanks for sharing this travelogue. Love it!

Regards,

Saleem.
I am a member of clubmahindra and all my bookings were done by club mahindra. It is a tad expensive - but they managed everything perfectly. Unfortunately - i dont remember the details.

However, another member - gd1418 was planning a trip to Gir forest and he has done some research here - i will ask him to visit the thread and post some details.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 12:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

My proposed and subsequently cancelled Gujarat trip - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...lion-king.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

However, another member - gd1418 was planning a trip to Gir forest and he has done some research here - i will ask him to visit the thread and post some details.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

One thing I have to say, the tiger in the wild looks far more imposing and beautiful than the lion. I saw that photo about Bamera marking his territory, standing up - he was huge! Also, apparently tigers are bigger than lions, and displaced them from the various parts of India when they came in from the North East.
Old 10th April 2012, 13:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My proposed and subsequently cancelled Gujarat trip - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...lion-king.html
Thanks GD sir.
@Saleem - pls send GD sir a PM if you need further details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
One thing I have to say, the tiger in the wild looks far more imposing and beautiful than the lion. I saw that photo about Bamera marking his territory, standing up - he was huge! Also, apparently tigers are bigger than lions, and displaced them from the various parts of India when they came in from the North East.
I agree - tigers are more majestic and graceful than lions, they have that feline grace that is somehow missing from lions.

However, when i looked at my pics from this trip, i was aghast at the quality. I have vowed to return and to try to capture better pictures of lions. Maybe - it is simply my photographic skills (or the lack of it) - that are to blame here.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:36   #22
BHPian

Thanks for sharing, Will defiantly add Gir forest to my Visiting list.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

That's ok Joshua but why do have to be "defiant" about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post

Old 11th April 2012, 13:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
But nothing beats the royal look & attitude that a male adult Lion (with mane) exudes. Also I've been told that the roar of a Lion is far more intimidating than that of a Tiger.

Never seen a Tiger in wild but on TV a Lion looks no match for the huge paws & claws, canines and speed of a Tiger. Also a Tiger looks lot more muscular. But a Lion can do what a Tiger finds very difficult, climb trees!
Old 11th April 2012, 18:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
Thanks Joshua.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
But nothing beats the royal look & attitude that a male adult Lion (with mane) exudes. Also I've been told that the roar of a Lion is far more intimidating than that of a Tiger.

Never seen a Tiger in wild but on TV a Lion looks no match for the huge paws & claws, canines and speed of a Tiger. Also a Tiger looks lot more muscular. But a Lion can do what a Tiger finds very difficult, climb trees!
I dont think lions can climb trees. Leopards can - but not lions. But whatever, lions or tigers - i will happily watch either in the wild given a chance. For that matter any animal in its habitat is a treat to watch - IMO.
Old 11th April 2012, 19:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hijack your thread Sach.

Beg to differ Nilanjan. If it may, at best this can be taken as personal thought. But I feel tigers and lions are both equally majestic and they stand their own stance. It is a pity that Lions territory got limited to Gir. But is it really because they got displaced by tigers? Aisan Lions are pretty tiny compared to their African counterparts.

I for one, love both the species equally well. I have seen Tigers up close too.

Check out a few of my exploits, and these are only about 2.5 yr kids tagging along their mother:

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-200206-032980pc.jpg

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-200206-033380pc.jpg

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-200206-040780pc.jpg

Visit to Gir forest - the only natural habitat for Asiatic Lion!-200206-043180pc.jpg
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 19:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Seems I have started a debate lol. That is my personal opinion (which looks more appealing to me). The part of lions getting displaced by tigers is true - at least I have read about it in quite a few places/books (tigers are bigger and more powerful - especially the Bengal and the Amur/Siberian - even compared to the African Lion). Google for 'largest tigers' or something, and see the size of some of the males!

But as you say, both are majestic! In fact I consider the leopard to be even more beautiful than the tiger...and pound for pound, it is stronger than the bigger cats. I wish I had Sach's luck with leopards :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 11th April 2012 at 19:37.
Old 11th April 2012, 22:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread Sach.

Check out a few of my exploits, and these are only about 2.5 yr kids tagging along their mother:
PArsh - no worries, this is a open thread and contributions are always welcome.

But i do agree - tiger or lion, both are majestic and awe inspiring. Though tigers and more "photogenic" let me put it this way. Leopards - more so.

BTW - tigers become independent in 2 yrs, but they get into their primes by 4~5 yrs of age.

and from what i have seen on TV - cheetahs, jaguars, pumas all of them are like wow!

So no comparisons...

Quote:
Seems I have started a debate lol. That is my personal opinion (which looks more appealing to me). The part of lions getting displaced by tigers is true - at least I have read about it in quite a few places/books (tigers are bigger and more powerful - especially the Bengal and the Amur/Siberian - even compared to the African Lion). Google for 'largest tigers' or something, and see the size of some of the males!

But as you say, both are majestic! In fact I consider the leopard to be even more beautiful than the tiger...and pound for pound, it is stronger than the bigger cats. I wish I had Sach's luck with leopards :-)
debates are always healthy. Hopefully my luck holds...
Need to see a tiger again.... been a very long time now.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

My two cents.

A full grown male Lion, whether Asiatic or African, in a one-to-one combat will get defeated by a male Tiger. Scientific research has proved this and some secret real-life experiment, not made public due to animal cruelty activists has corroborated this.

Tiger versus lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Having said that, both the animals are handsome, graceful and exude immense power and not for nothing are called the King.

Lionesses are known to climb trees to steal Leopard's kill but Lions can't becasue of their weight. Lionesses are lithe, slim and a perfect example of power to weight ratio.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs that the Gujarat Govt. refuses the relocation of the Lion thus enhancing inbreeding and a fear of a epidemic wipe-out.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 12:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
I dont think lions can climb trees. Leopards can - but not lions. But whatever, lions or tigers - i will happily watch either in the wild given a chance. For that matter any animal in its habitat is a treat to watch - IMO.
They can mate! Saw it on discovery (African Lions) when the meat was placed on a tree and coupla Lions climbed and one got it down. Not agile, high reaching, branch walking like a Leopard but they can climb.

Quote:

Lion vs. Tiger, how can that not start a debate!

IIRC, I read that Tigers were in India a lot before Asiatic Lions came here. A major reason for the displacement of Lions was the rampant hunting of theirs as they preyed on cattle and also for sport by the royals. They're almost hunted to extinction before being moved to Gir.

Without it's mane, even a full grown African Lion adult will look small when compared to a Siberian/Bengal Tiger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks