Team-BHP - Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/118782-exploring-great-indian-outdoors-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 2882086)
Drove back to Bangalore after breakfast. Took a roundabout route after Mysore through Bannur to hit Malavalli (NH 209) even though Mysore Road would have been the shorter route.

Its really sad to hear that streams have gone dry. Monsoons have been a disaster this year.

How was the Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli stretch?

Many of the photos from the last post dont show up. Can you please check ?

The area seems to be quite green - why are the streams dry? And is the electric fence from Forest Hills ? I remember that the machan is outside the fence. Is the fence still electrified ?

Deepak

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2882169)
Its really sad to hear that streams have gone dry. Monsoons have been a disaster this year.

How was the Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli stretch?

Yes, there is limited water in the Masinagudi region, and the animals are getting cranky. Kabini side seemed ok though. Kept on raining while I was there.

The stretch is fine except a few bad spots. Limited traffic, scenic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepak_misra (Post 2882179)
Many of the photos from the last post dont show up. Can you please check ?

The area seems to be quite green - why are the streams dry? And is the electric fence from Forest Hills ? I remember that the machan is outside the fence. Is the fence still electrified ?

Deepak

Not sure why the streams are dry - even Mudumalai/Bandipur look pretty green.

That's the Wild Haven fence - I thought you will recognize. Yes, I was staying in the Forest Hills machaan. There is no fencing there. Animals (I saw elephants, boars and deers this time) keep coming to the small man-made tank (5X5 feet, say) that is located close to the machaan and the treehouse. Once - if I remember correctly, during the SX4/elephant incident trip, on a full moon night, I had seen three sloth bears passing below the machaan and going to the ttank to drink.

Not sure why some of the photos didn't upload the first time. Reposting.

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-csc_6701.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-csc_6766.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-csc_6784.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-csc_6808001.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-csc_6810.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-csc_6842.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6694.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6757.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6698.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6724.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6812.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6798_filtered.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6828.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6731.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6945.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6833.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_7203.jpg

Saw this fella during a recent drive through some village roads. Didn't fly away as I got down and crept close.

This bird is pretty small, so had to crop extensively. Can anyone identify this bird? I am have seen this around Bangalore as well as in the Nilgiris.

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_7308_filtered.jpg

Beautiful photographs, some excellent ones.
Cannot forget the tiger dragging the sambar, the fish eagles, the KFs, the leopard on tree.
But my favourite is the last one, the Crimson-backed Sunbird.
Terrific thread all in all, loads of photographs and a stunning black Big Boss.

[quote=nilanjanray;2893525]Saw this fella during a recent drive through some village roads. Didn't fly away as I got down and crept close.

This bird is pretty small, so had to crop extensively. Can anyone identify this bird? I am have seen this around Bangalore as well as in the Nilgiris.

QUOTE]

Looks like a purple rumped sun bird. The beek makes me say it is sunbird however will wait for other experts also to comment

Quote:

Originally Posted by himadrimondal (Post 2893592)
Beautiful photographs, some excellent ones.
Cannot forget the tiger dragging the sambar, the fish eagles, the KFs, the leopard on tree.
But my favourite is the last one, the Crimson-backed Sunbird.
Terrific thread all in all, loads of photographs and a stunning black Big Boss.

Thanks Himadri. Saw your Duster thread. If I were in the market for a 5 seater SUV, I would have gone for the Duster. Really like the looks. Only if they had brought the 4X4 version!

Re: Big Boss: I guess you were referring to the Fortuner? Or to Sunny Leone?

[quote=aravind84;2893609]
Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 2893525)
Saw this fella during a recent drive through some village roads. Didn't fly away as I got down and crept close.

This bird is pretty small, so had to crop extensively. Can anyone identify this bird? I have seen this around Bangalore as well as in the Nilgiris.

QUOTE]

Looks like a purple rumped sun bird. The beek makes me say it is sunbird however will wait for other experts also to comment

Yes, it seems like a Sunbird - as highlighted by Himadri and you. Now, I Googled after you guys commented - and I get different photos if I search for purple rumped or crimson sunbird. So someone - with lots of confidence - identify it - else I will have to browse through Salim Ali books :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 2893630)
Thanks Himadri. Saw your Duster thread. If I were in the market for a 5 seater SUV, I would have gone for the Duster. Really like the looks. Only if they had brought the 4X4 version!

Re: Big Boss: I guess you were referring to the Fortuner? Or to Sunny Leone?

Yes, it seems like a Sunbird - as highlighted by Himadri and you. Now, I Googled after you guys commented - and I get different photos if I search for purple rumped or crimson sunbird. So someone - with lots of confidence - identify it - else I will have to browse through Salim Ali books :)

Rumped defination: (noun) "The area on the upperside of a bird's body between the uppertail coverts and back,
or the part of the back closest to the tail, typically counted as part of the upperparts of a bird."
As per your photograph goes, there seems to be no purple patch where the tail begins.

Have to get back home and check "A Field Guide to the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent " by Krys Kazmierczak & B. van Perlo.
I find the representation of this book better than our respected Salim Ali's.

Regarding Big Boss, its always the Fortuner, Sunny or bunny does not figure anywhere on my list. :D

Closest frame by one of the famous photographers of India, Ramki (Sreenivasan).

As luck would have it, this crimson backed is not found in north or north east India. You can have a look at my collection here.

Keep shooting.

Aravind84 is correct :), its a Purple-rumped Sunbird. (the hyphen though should be used).

Request mods to delete my previous post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himadrimondal (Post 2893663)
You can have a look at my collection here.

Great birding pictures there, Himadri! What lens were you using?

I have visited Sikkim many times, but have never driven in the NE. I plan to take the Fortuner there - someday - on an extended trip - N. Bengal, Sikkim, Arunachal etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 2894730)
Great birding pictures there, Himadri! What lens were you using?

Its a Nikon 500mm F4 with lots of other equipments.:)

Fantastic images in there, in fact caught with this thread in this last couple of days itself.

Kumaon is one part of Himalayas still left and so looking forward to your October trip - it does give quite an opportunity for a great travel as well as photographs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himadrimondal (Post 2893663)
As luck would have it, this crimson backed is not found in north or north east India. You can have a look at my collection here.

Great bird images there. Always been in awe of bird photographers for their gut passion, intricate knowledge, mind numbing patience, and then equipment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himadrimondal (Post 2896107)
Its a Nikon 500mm F4 with lots of other equipments.:)

Nice lens, that. Are you always reliant on a tripod or beanbag, or can you handhold it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 2896273)
Fantastic images in there, in fact caught with this thread in this last couple of days itself.

Kumaon is one part of Himalayas still left and so looking forward to your October trip - it does give quite an opportunity for a great travel as well as photographs.

Thanks adc - good to see you here! I love Kumaon (Uttarakhand in fact) - childhood memories and Jim Corbett association I guess.

Some random photos. Was playing around in GIMP with the canvas effect, a few photos have the canvas filter.

A not so friendly elephant, bent on causing some minor destruction. Segur Plateau, Nilgiris
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3099_filtered.jpg

Tiger cub practicing clawing. Tadoba.
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4536.jpg

Gaurs on a forest trail. Nilgiris.
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_2819.jpg

Barasinghas crossing a track. Kanha (canvas)
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6712.jpg

Forest road in Northern Karnataka. Somewhere near Dandeli.
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-forest-road.jpg

Which raptor is this? White-eyed Buzzard? Bandhavgarh.
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_5709.jpg

Semi-wild fauna belonging to the Ray family...loves the outdoors. Near Coonoor (canvas)
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-img_0126.jpg

Barasingha, Kanha (canvas)
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_6682_filtered.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 2896511)

A not so friendly elephant, bent on causing some minor destruction. Segur Plateau, Nilgiris

Forest road in Northern Karnataka. Somewhere near Dandeli.
Attachment 982403

Did he do any damage ?
And is the forest road somewhere on the Hubli - Ankola Stretch ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepak_misra (Post 2896896)
Did he do any damage ?
And is the forest road somewhere on the Hubli - Ankola Stretch ?

He tore/pulled off the roof sheets. Would have smashed vehicles if they had been parked there.

That is the single lane road on the Bankapur - Yellapur route.