Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 11:51   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Somehow the typical smell of the jungles is missing in forests around Cauvery. Maybe this region is too dry. Or maybe I am missing the fragrance of the Nilgiris

I think Nilgiris has a much higher altitude. Hence the greenery also holds on I think. Cauvery basin remains green mainly due to monsoons. It may not be as dense as the Nilgiris,
but still fun for a weekend out. I have been on the Anchetty Hogenakkal route as well. But I am holding on till the rains for the Hunasanahalli/Thally section to be more greenery.

For more birds you should also cover Harohalli-Thattekere-Banerghatta section.
They form the part of Mahadeshwara state forest range.
Old 26th May 2012, 12:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For more birds you should also cover Harohalli-Thattekere-Banerghatta section.
They form the part of Mahadeshwara state forest range.
Thanks for the suggestion. I might do a drive today or tomorrow afternoon. Today the weather is nice, so might take the plunge!

Edit: looking at the map, I realize that I had driven on this route a couple of years back on my SX4. Didn't go near the Thattekere lake though - did the Bannerghata - Harohalli circuit.

Anyone wants to join me, give me a PM in the next 1 hour.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 26th May 2012 at 12:23.
Old 26th May 2012, 13:26   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I might do a drive today or tomorrow afternoon. Today the weather is nice, so might take the plunge!

Edit: looking at the map, I realize that I had driven on this route a couple of years back on my SX4. Didn't go near the Thattekere lake though - did the Bannerghata - Harohalli circuit.

Anyone wants to join me, give me a PM in the next 1 hour.
Here is the picture of the lake.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2528621
Old 27th May 2012, 13:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quick drive through Bannerghata National Park to Thattekere

Drove to the lake through BNP. Took a route that made me do some offroading. Had to go through some very narrow village roads - otherwise I would have taken the same route back.

Weather was nice and cool while I was driving. The sun came out when I reached the lake. All vehicle/trail pictures shot with the SGS2 camera.

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120526-14.26.27.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120526-14.22.34.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4096.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120526-14.23.58.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120526-14.59.41.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120526-14.59.48.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4092.jpg

The Google maps route recommendation is wrong - one has to take next left turn (when coming from Jigani side). I had to turn back after going on the wrong route. If you have a cycle you can reach the lake using that route, but I wanted to take the vehicle to the lake. So got proper directions from a couple of helpful folks in a village.

Spent a couple of hours at the lake. In terms of beauty, the lake was underwhelming - I was expecting it to be wilder. It was also rather hot. But saw some water birds, and managed to click some photos of flying Grey Herons.

Thattekere Lake.

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4267.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4155.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4167.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4263.jpg

The Grey Herons. Saw them flying towards me, and started clicking. They were on the other side of the lake near the island, but then did a circuit across the lake and went back.

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4127.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4137.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4142.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4140.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4147.jpg

The Woodpecker. While walking around the trees lining the lake, heard a machinegun like sound. Guessed it was a woodpecker, and after some stalking saw it on an Eucalyptus tree. After Googling, I think this is a Rufous woodpecker - a birder can confirm. I am used to hearing regular tap-rap from a woodpecker, but this one was like a top of the line DSLR on full burst mode :-)

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4225.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4227.jpg

The ducks. Saw a swarm of birds at great distance. They were flying around looking for a place to land. When I zoomed the photo, I realized that they were ducks. Don't know the species can someone identify? Pictures heavily cropped, the ducks were on the other side of the lake.

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4182.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4176.jpg

Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4189.jpg

A Snake Bird doing a splash down. Pity about the distance (had to heavily crop the photo).
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4117.jpg

Heron about to land
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4244.jpg

A small Kingfisher. Too far away :-(
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4255.jpg

Thirsty Raven
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4192.jpg

Small island
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4179.jpg

High flying Eagle (seemed large, that is why I felt it was an Eagle; image heavily cropped)
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4195.jpg

Singing practice
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4258.jpg

Drongo silhouette
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_4268.jpg

Came back through Jigani, NH7 and then Chadrapura Road. This is the fastest route for me to visit the lake, given that I stay on Sarjapur Road.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 27th May 2012 at 13:18.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 14:28   #50
BHPian

Re: Quick drive through Bannerghata National Park to Thattekere

Can someone please share the exact rout to the place. Google maps doesn't seem to recognize the place.
Please share directions from Bannerghatta Road onwards, probably after NICE road intersection.
Old 28th May 2012, 19:51   #51
BHPian

First of all, your wildlife pictures are simply awesome !

On a second note, try booking the Sunkadkatte camp guest house within the Antharasanthe range of Nagarhole national park...you can book from Bangalore and drive down into the park, and you can take your "bison" right into the park, through forest roads ! No facilities or electricity out there, but when the deal is having 3 waterholes nearby having excellent wildlife haunts, it is worth it !

Enjoy !
raghunandanj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 22:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
Can someone please share the exact rout to the place. Google maps doesn't seem to recognize the place.
Please share directions from Bannerghatta Road onwards, probably after NICE road intersection.
This is the route I took while going back (well, actually I traveled from Point B to A). Shortest for me. The small blue waterbody near point B is the lake. There is an arch on the left (when you come from the North) and a spiky barrier that marks the start of the trail to the lake.

You might want to decide what route works for you e.g. one through Bannerghata. There is also a thread on TBHP meet at this lake - search for Thattekere - that thread has a few route options.

Name:  Thattekere route.png
Views: 5153
Size:  606.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
First of all, your wildlife pictures are simply awesome !

On a second note, try booking the Sunkadkatte camp guest house within the Antharasanthe range of Nagarhole national park...you can book from Bangalore and drive down into the park, and you can take your "bison" right into the park, through forest roads ! No facilities or electricity out there, but when the deal is having 3 waterholes nearby having excellent wildlife haunts, it is worth it !

Enjoy !
Thanks Raghu. Will try out that place, It could be a wee but warm right now, but I guess animal sightings would be good as well. Any idea what is the best procedure for booking? Anyway, will Google and figure out how to go about it.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 11:50   #53
BHPian

WOW!! Simply amazing photologue. Great passion is show here. Love all the wildlife you had shown.

Especially the Eagles in second page & the one with fish is awesome
Old 29th May 2012, 21:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri
WOW!! Simply amazing photologue. Great passion is show here. Love all the wildlife you had shown.

Especially the Eagles in second page & the one with fish is awesome
Thanks Srikanth! I too like the picture of the flying Brahnani Kite with the fish - came out well. There are some more wildlife pictures in my other threads if you are interested.

Will post a few photos from my Bhadra stopover on my way back from Goa.
Old 29th May 2012, 23:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

A 24 hour stopover in Bhadra Sanctuary

A couple of weeks back I had driven down to Goa for a big company event. Took the Bangalore - Bankapur - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Bambolim route. Was staying at the Bambolim Grand Hyatt (btw, rooms were available for Rs. 5.5K when I left - off season discount!). The day before I was supposed to return, I started feeling feverish so decided not to drive straight to Bangalore, but stop over somewhere. Considered the options, and decided on Bhadra Sanctuary/River Tern Lodge of Jungle Lodges.

I wanted to check out the Sagara and Shimoga forests (had read about them in Kenneth Anderson's books - those jungles are supposed to have harboured maneaters for hundreds of years) - so took the following route:

Bambolim - Margaon - Canacona (btw, a man was attacked by a leopard a few days back near Canacona - apparently that area is prone to leopard attacks - to think that I have been to Palolem and passed through Canacona forests so many times without thinking that big cats were around!) - Karwar - Ankola - Honavar - Sagara - Shimoga - Lakkavali - River Tern Lodge

I had decided to take it easy and left late in the day, driving sedately. And so missed the evening safari. But I had negotiated with the manager that I will do lunch and evening safari the next day instead, and then do a late checkout. Btw, the manager (forget his name) is a very helpful and friendly person, the most helpful among the Jungle Lodges managers I have met.

I reached after sunset, and got a room which I didn't like too much. Got it changed to one that had a better view from the balcony. My cottage was in the island - a longish walk from the reception. It was pretty warm, but soon it became cool with the breeze blowing across the reservoir.

The balcony was lovely. I spent the evening sitting there and listening to the River Terns calling from a nearby island. They make quite a racket! Heard a jungle fowl, but no deer or alarm calls. I had checked with the staff, and was told that apart from monkeys (and once a sloth bear), no animals come near the cottages. Pity!

Had a heavy dinner (chicken and rice) and crashed early. It got cold in the night with fan, ac and the rain outside. Woke up at 5.45am to be ready for the morning safari. I decided to do the jeep safari in the morning and the boat safari in the evening. I was excited because a couple of days back a black panther had been sighted after years!

The safari track goes parallel to a canal and then towards the forest for a couple of kms before the Bhadra Sanctuary entrance gate comes up. Which means that one can drive on this track till the gate if one has a suitable vehicle.

In that 2-3 kms stretch in the morning, I think I saw more birds than I saw inside the sanctuary. Robins, Drongos, Bee-eaters, Peafowl, Jungle Fowl, Parrots, AND Hornbills! The Hornbills flew away after hearing the sound of the jeep, so could only click them at great distance.

Bhadra has less prey density than the Nilgiri parks, which means fewer predators. Saw very few deers, but many peacocks. A few Gaurs. Another Hornbill. Some elephant spoor. No big cats. Overall, disappointing. The experience was somewhat like my Dandeli forest safari - nice drive within the jungle, but the x-factor was missing. Whether animal sightings or the typical smell of the jungle and vegetation.

Before coming back, we stopped at an anti-poaching camp for 5 minutes. A couple of forest guards took a lift with us ad dropped off at a junction where there were spoors of elephants. They were tracking wild elephants (seems Bhadra got some money sanctioned for managing its elephant population).

Came back, had a heavy breakfast and then took a nice nap. The more I sleep, the faster I seem to recover when I am down with flu or fever. Besides, I had the Bhadra - Bangalore drive in the evening.

A pond somewhere between Sagara and Shimoga
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3355.jpg

View from my balcony
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120514-06.09.54.jpg

Bhadra dam
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120514-09.48.37.jpg

Hornbill sighting in the morning
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-csc_3474.jpg

@ Bhadra Sanctuary entrance gate
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3416.jpg

Serpent Eagle. The diesel vehicle was shaking too much to take a sharp picture. Why don't the parks in the South use petrol Gypsys like the ones in MP?
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3428.jpg

Stopped for a few minutes here during the safari. Reminded me of the MP forests
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3445.jpg

Dancing peacock
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3454.jpg

Gaurs
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3465.jpg

Malabar Pied Hornbill...cropped photo taken at long distance. We tried 4 times to get close to it, it would fly off when the vehicle came within 75 metres.
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3487.jpg

The bridge between the mainland and my island
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3531.jpg

Morning tea in the balcony before the safari. Birds have started calling, sun yet to rise.
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120514-06.10.30.jpg

Lapwing
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3444.jpg

Chameleon on Sanctuary entrance gate post
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3495.jpg

Notice board @ River Tern Lodge
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3526.jpg

This portion - between the mainland and the island where I was staying - is covered by water during rainy season
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-20120514-09.48.15.jpg

I missed the black panther sighting by a few days :-(
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3527.jpg

Seems pretty bored
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3529.jpg

The blue waters of Bhadra reservoir. I saw the water colour change a few times while I was there.
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3532.jpg

Same Hornbill, from a distance
Exploring the Great Indian Outdoors-dsc_3488.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 29th May 2012 at 23:33.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 12:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: A 24 hour stopover in Bhadra Sanctuary

Quote:
A couple of weeks back I had driven down to Goa for a big company event. Took the Bangalore - Bankapur - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Bambolim route
Nilanjan - how is the Bankapur-Yellapur stretch?
Old 30th May 2012, 12:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Nilanjan - how is the Bankapur-Yellapur stretch?
Narrow and picturesque. Passes through jungles. Broken in some stretches, but very much doable in all sorts of vehicles maintaining 50-60kmph speeds.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 19:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:

I wanted to check out the Sagara and Shimoga forests (had read about them in Kenneth Anderson's books - those jungles are supposed to have harboured maneaters for hundreds of years) - so took the following route:

You seem to be following KA quite closely :-). There is an interesting KA group on facebook that has a lot of rare photos, videos etc. If you are on facebook look at it.

Deepak
deepak_misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 09:18   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
Quote:
This is the route I took while going back (well, actually I traveled from Point B to A). Shortest for me.
The best and easiest one through Kanakpura road. Drive on Kanakpura road till Harohalli.
At Harohalli take left. This is a SH which takes you behind Bannerghatta National Park. This SH is alike concentric
circle to the NICE road. About 10-15 km you would get the point where you need to get out of the SH
(more like descend from the SH). There is a board (I think in Kannada) which points to the Mahadeshwara temple.
The lake is behind the temple. The Thatekere village is farther from this lake/temple.

Quote:
Considered the options, and decided on Bhadra Sanctuary/River Tern Lodge of Jungle Lodges.
Considering the season, there seems to be enough water, though lesser than what it there normally. But those views
from the balcony are amazing. In my opinion if wants to visit a JLR property just for stay and not for wild life, then this is the best.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

nilanjan fantastic pics man. The fact that most of those birding shots have been taken with the 70-300mm VR is kinda hard to believe. No offense, but yeah they are crisp and pretty sharp.Kudos. I have this lens and it looses its sharpness beyond 240mm or so.

Most Viewed