Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 17:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Fauji's Drivologues :- Beat the heat II - Escape to Sinnadorai's Bungalow in Valp

Fauji Sir,

Super travelogue with some exceptional pics My 5 stars added.

The Sinna Dorai Bungalow looks classy and would surely book that for a visit with my parents.

I too love Valparai very much but has visited it only twice. The 1st visit was in 2002 and the last one being 2011 when we clubbed it with Parambikulam.

Off late there have been quite a lot of Man vs Animal conflicts and Leopards have caused few deaths there. And due to this the authorities have warned the localities from keeping pets like dogs and rearing cattle & fowls.

And would you believe that there are no movie theaters in Valparai. I was astounded at hearing this esp about a town in TN but our host Mr.Benny told us that after 6pm very few venture out fearing the wild animals.

On our last trip we were a total of 5 guys and stayed at a Home Stay - Valparai - Misty Creek - Home Stay

My friends & I are planning an outing by the end of May and obviously Valparai is on the top of our list

You surely missed out on Athirappilly but there is always a next time and it would surely be a treat during the monsoons with lots of water.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 19th April 2012 at 18:00.
Old 19th April 2012, 18:19   #32
BHPian

Re: Fauji's Drivologues :- Beat the heat II - Escape to Sinnadorai's Bungalow in Valp

Great travelogue.
I am going to this exact same place next week. (Stay at a different place though). I was wondering how Valparai would be during this time and your travelogue dismissed those doubts.

While at Valparai, we are also planning to go to Athirapally waterfalls. Could anyone let me know how much water is there in the waterfalls currently?
Old 19th April 2012, 18:55   #33
BHPian

Planning for Valparai trip next week and will be reaching from Dindigul-Palani-Udumalpet side.
There is a road from Udumalpet to Valparai bypassing Pollachi that goes via Mukkonam.
Has anyone tried this recently, how good and safe is this road for a low GC sedan like City?
Old 19th April 2012, 19:06   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Planning for Valparai trip next week and will be reaching from Dindigul-Palani-Udumalpet side.
There is a road from Udumalpet to Valparai bypassing Pollachi that goes via Mukkonam.
Has anyone tried this recently, how good and safe is this road for a low GC sedan like City?
Here is h14's TL. He used that route.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-valparai.html

(Yes this route by-passes Pollachi and hits the Pollachi-Aliyar road.)

More details on Valparai;:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...eral-info.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 19:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Great travelogue.
I am going to this exact same place next week. (Stay at a different place though). I was wondering how Valparai would be during this time and your travelogue dismissed those doubts.

While at Valparai, we are also planning to go to Athirapally waterfalls. Could anyone let me know how much water is there in the waterfalls currently?
Thanks Himavanth. There will definitely be water unlike our Jog falls. But the beauty of the falls in Monsoon will be different altogether. You can do a day trip from Valparai to Athirapally. Better leave early and come back for late lunch. PM our H V Kumar for details on the road beyond Sholayar dam.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 21:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Valparai-Malakkiparai Kerala Check Post 27 kms-Sholayar 22-Peringalkuthu 24-Vazhachal Check Post 6-Athirapalli 4-Chalakudy 30.
Road is closed between Malakkiparai & Vazhachal during 6 pm - 6 am.

There is water in the Athirapalli Falls throughout the year, but for best viewing go after rains start. The forests will come alive! The giant cicadas make quite a din in the bamboo jungles on this route. Watch out for elephants & bison.

Quote:
I heard the road is closed for repairs till end of the month. Please call up resorts in KL side to find out the reality. No issue with road condition, it has been repaired recently. Any car can go. Remember there are no facilities on this route and road is very narrow.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 22:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Lovely! I really envy B'lore geographical location, there are many options within 500-600 kms. From Hyd it becomes complicated. I will mark this place and need to visit this place for sure! Thanks a lot for sharing. Rated it 5*! :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Simply superb Fauji sir! Amazing photography and excellent write up. I for one never miss an opportunity to visit Valparai. I've been always staying with Woodbrier's Villa Fair or Monica. But my next is gonna be Chinna Durai for sure.
Thanks Guys. Glad you liked it and is useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A popular Tamil movie of the 60's "Kaadhalikka Neramillai" was shot there. Is it very difficult to find the turn off to Valparai from Pollachi ? Any pointers ?
Thanks Narayan for the trivia. Kadalikka Neramillai is a superhit movie of MGR. Should get a DVD and see it now.

If you are coming from Bangalore directly via Palladam route given by Ampere, there is absolutely no confusion. As soon as you enter the town, you will come across a traffic signal with the road on the right going to Pollachi town and the one on the left towards Valparai. Just follow the road and you will be back on highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
@Fauji: Great Travelogue and Pics. You are doing free high quality marketing for valparai tourism By the way, is valparai safe to travel with kids (I have a 1 year old)? We had a hard time in Wyanad with kids in the family with leeches everywhere in the place we stayed in.
Thanks sir. It is absolutely safe. If you are going during monsoons, leeches are common all over western ghats and Valparai is no exception. If you are particular about leeches, plan the trip between November and June when there will be no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Off late there have been quite a lot of Man vs Animal conflicts and Leopards have caused few deaths there. And due to this the authorities have warned the localities from keeping pets like dogs and rearing cattle & fowls. My friends & I are planning an outing by the end of May and obviously Valparai is on the top of our list You surely missed out on Athirappilly but there is always a next time and it would surely be a treat during the monsoons with lots of water.
Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, there have been reports of man - animal conflicts in all these areas as the habitat for animals shrink. That is the reason we were told clearly not to venture out alone but always with Murugan. No doubt, it will be treat for the eyes after monsoons.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 10:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road is decent condition, watch out for the signboard which says "Anamalai with a Left Sign" thats the road to take care, it is near a place called Poolankinar.

Quote:
Great travelogue.

Athirampally during summer may not be as splendid as during rains or after rains, but you can always enjoy the falls right through the year. During summers there is one another advantage, the water flow is not high so you could actually take a bath just ahead of the falls. You would not be allowed to venture deep though. My kids spent a good half an hour playing in the water when we went in May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Thanks Narayan for the trivia. Kadalikka Neramillai is a superhit movie of MGR. Should get a DVD and see it now.
Kathalikka Neramillai was acted by Ravichandran & Muthuraman as lead heroes. But Balaiah & Nagesh were out of the world in the "Film Story enactment" scene. Though the film was made in 1964 even today if one sees it it is not out of depth, a classic case study of how a good screen play is the foremost necessity for any film.

It was remade as "Pyar Kiye Jaa" in Hindi starring Kishore Kumar & Sashi Kapoor. If you have already seen the Hindi one, I suggest you still see the Tamil one I can assure you it would be 3 hours well enjoyed.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 13:35   #39
Team-BHP Support

Fauji sir, this has to be among the best-est of best travelogues I have seen in recent times on team-bhp! simply mind-blowing! Just 2 weeks back, there was drivologue on the ooty route and now this one on Valparai! Fauji is on a roll

Like they say, a picture speaks a thousand words. This can really be experienced with every one of your pictures sir. I especially loved pictures of the lower Nerar dam, and the first picture on post #2, with the tree silhouette in the lake. Simply brilliant photography! Even the pictures of the trees amidst the tea estates are spectacular.

Sinnadorai's bungalow looks like a very heavenly place to visit, straight out of the colonial era. The view from the room is also very pleasant. Is it a restored british bungalow by any chance? I had once booked with Waterfall bungalow with Rasha Carambaya, the lady in charge there, but the trip didn't work out last monsoon. From the research I had done there, the famous decent ones here were Stanmore bungalow, waterfall bungalow and there was Banyan tree homestay at top Slip (although thats in another direction from Pollachi). Now, thanks to you, I have another place in the choices list.

Perhaps this time I should shift destination to Sinnadorai after seeing the heavenly place and tranquil surroundings. How would you rate the overall food + stay + approach route to Sinnadorai? Any offroading to be done in my sedan or is it manageable?

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th April 2012 at 13:42.
Old 20th April 2012, 14:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Sinnadorai's bungalow looks like a very heavenly place to visit, straight out of the colonial era. The view from the room is also very pleasant. Is it a restored british bungalow by any chance? I had once booked with Waterfall bungalow with Rasha Carambaya, the lady in charge there, but the trip didn't work out last monsoon. From the research I had done there, the famous decent ones here were Stanmore bungalow, waterfall bungalow and there was Banyan tree homestay at top Slip (although thats in another direction from Pollachi). Now, thanks to you, I have another place in the choices list.

Perhaps this time I should shift destination to Sinnadorai after seeing the heavenly place and tranquil surroundings. How would you rate the overall food + stay + approach route to Sinnadorai? Any offroading to be done in my sedan or is it manageable?
Thanks Karthik. All credit should go to the officail photographer on the trip - My Wife

Yes, it is a restored bungalow which was built in 1931 by British for Assistant Manager of the tea estate who used to be called as "Sinna Dorai" by workers!! The overall experience is one of the best i have experienced and absolute value for money. The rooms are ultra spacious almost 20'*20", bath rooms are large and most importantly the sitouts are also ultra wide!!

If three people are going, i would recommend to take extra bed instead of another room as it will easily fit in whithout any hassles. The food is just too good and possibly the best tea i have ever drunk.

No need for any off road driving and the road till bungalow is excellent condition.
Old 20th April 2012, 21:16   #41
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If you are coming from Bangalore directly via Palladam route given by Ampere, there is absolutely no confusion. As soon as you enter the town, you will come across a traffic signal with the road on the right going to Pollachi town and the one on the left towards Valparai. Just follow the road and you will be back on highway.
Thanks Poorna sir for the pointers on directions.
So I guess Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Valparai would be the best route.

- Kadalikka Neramillai does not have MGR, but actually a very good comedy movie (Kaadhalikka Neramillai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Last edited by NPV : 20th April 2012 at 21:19.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 10:18   #42
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful, wonderful TL there!

I'm amazed at how well we can get so close to nature at such places. That itself serves the purpose of a nice quiet weekend.

Thank you for earmarking yet another weekend destination!

Keep 'em rolling
Old 24th April 2012, 16:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Wonderful, wonderful TL there!

I'm amazed at how well we can get so close to nature at such places. That itself serves the purpose of a nice quiet weekend.

Thank you for earmarking yet another weekend destination!

Keep 'em rolling
Thanks Nishad. This is a wonderful place. Unspoilt, unexplored and lovely. One can comfortably spend three days exploring the region. In fact, we could not do any treks and safaris as they were closed due to Forest fires
Old 25th April 2012, 14:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
There are some dates in the calendar which makes you plan in advance and Good Friday weekend is one of them. It is a holiday for the company and opportunity to explore for us. This time we went to verdant Valparai and came back refreshed. A place so soothing, it will make you go back again
Saar,
Your TL as usual is very informative and fascinating
The thrill of visitng the lesser explored locations is always great. Your beautiful pictures and narration cement this fact.
Thanks for sharing the details.
How suitable would this location be for a family visit in October / November ?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 25th April 2012 at 15:02. Reason: formatting
Old 25th April 2012, 15:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Saar,
Your TL as usual is very informative and fascinating
The thrill of visitng the lesser explored locations is always great. Your beautiful pictures and narration cement this fact.
Thanks for sharing the details.
How suitable would this location be for a family visit in October / November ?
Thanks in advance
Thanks Nighthawk. Glad to know that it is useful to you.

Oct - Nov is the best time to be there. There still will be water in the waterfalls, rains would have stopped, Jungle Safari @ Topslip will be functional, treks will be open and it will not be very cold either.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed