Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 15:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Trip to Jamshedpur - The Roads Less Traveled

Nice travelogue Samarjit. Making good use of your black beauty. How good is/was your maps device?
Old 25th April 2012, 16:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ ah , a spirited IBMer ! nice trip !
Thanks , only another spirited such as yourself can spot one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Nice travelogue Samarjit. Making good use of your black beauty. How good is/was your maps device?
Thanks joslicx. The maps device was pretty effective given that I drove through some really rustic and remote areas. It has its quirks, the beef I have with it mostly is its lock on time is frustratingly long. I have posted my views on the VX140s on a thread where a good soul has posted a product review.
Old 25th April 2012, 21:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Also didn't get a lot of human feedback about this route and since it is through the denser part of the forest and again deep Maoist country I decided to avoid it. No idea about the WBFDC resort in Duarsini. Not sure how much it is frequented given its desolate and probably risky nature.
That's why I wanted to know about its status.

Quote:
^^ ah , a spirited IBMer ! nice trip !
Where did that come from!?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th April 2012, 21:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks joslicx. The maps device was pretty effective given that I drove through some really rustic and remote areas. It has its quirks, the beef I have with it mostly is its lock on time is frustratingly long. I have posted my views on the VX140s on a thread where a good soul has posted a product review.
Now that you've said it, I am reminded of one experience with a navigator in US. I was driving a Ford Taurus (which is/was an unusually long car) and we were in Princeton at that time. We were trying to visit IAS (Institute of Advanced Studies) where Einstein worked while he was there. So we set the navigator to route us to IAS. Somehow we goofed up on the way and aborted the idea of going there. Also it was thanksgiving that day and we had a dinner invitation at a colleague's house. So we fed his address and I started following it. Now as luck would have it, I missed taking one right, so then the navigator calculated another route (and it was already dark by that time and raining outside) and it asked me to take right again (just about when the turn came). This time I was determined not to miss again so I just gave a turn to the steering wheel. To my horror, saw a car waiting for left (this was a by lane so there was no divider) and my car was all set for a head-on! Panic braked and saw the car skid and hit the stationary Camry on the drivers side door! Thankfully no one was hurt. There was a lesson - be careful while using the navigator!

Last edited by joslicx : 25th April 2012 at 21:28.
Old 25th April 2012, 22:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Where did that come from!?
Sutripta da, I guess the poster had a closer look at my car windshield and figured out the rest from the parking sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
There was a lesson - be careful while using the navigator!
Having said all that, its an essential tool when you are traveling to places for the first time and might not have minute details provided by road veterans. I have gotten wiser in subsequent road trips now plotting and saving the route in the device upfront after consulting online maps, advice from veterans and prior experience of others. Once this little bit of planning is put into the device the rest becomes pretty smooth and it was pretty smooth going all the time. But seriously all this is for this thread.
Old 27th April 2012, 14:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Babuaji phenomenon must be much later our times hence I am not too familiar. During our times there was some famous golgappas (panipuris) in Sakchi and masala drink in Bistupur. We could do none of that unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Edit: OT Question - Was a trip made to Babuaji for his chai and delicious samosas during the three days at Jampot? Probably the first thing I'll do, if I ever make that trip to the steel city.

Great to see jamshedpur so much mor on tbhp nowadays.

Well babuajee has become famous in the past 4-5 years only.
When we were in school (1999-2002 types), it was such a nice place. Only school guys and policewallahs in lungis ( from the nearby hostel) used to sit there.More than the tea and samosa it was a perfect place to bunk tutions and smoke, as very few people would see it and had heard of it.
But somehow it now seems to have become an big adda for people of all ages who have recently come to town and think of it as a hap place. People buying new cars also get it there to show off

All this has brought lots of business (and insanely priced tea) to our dear babuajee but taken away the old charm and camaraderie( people used to pass smiles and shake hands and converse even with strangers) among old timers there. But I still make it a point to go there and would suggest having a tbhp meet there for it has ample parking and good roads nearby.

A peice of advise to new people going there: Donot ever mess with people who are regular there, not all are decent/social elements.Dont go by their flashy cars, phones and clothes.

@samarjit: Masala cold drink at Bistupur is still there, prices have gone up to 15 now. Golgappawallahs in Sakchi are still around and I really miss them in Mumbai
Old 27th April 2012, 15:06   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I so much agree!

Quote:
Well babuajee has become famous in the past 4-5 years only.
When we were in school (1999-2002 types), it was such a nice place. Only school guys and policewallahs in lungis ( from the nearby hostel) used to sit there.More than the tea and samosa it was a perfect place to bunk tutions and smoke, as very few people would see it and had heard of it.
But somehow it now seems to have become an big adda for people of all ages who have recently come to town and think of it as a hap place. People buying new cars also get it there to show off

All this has brought lots of business (and insanely priced tea) to our dear babuajee but taken away the old charm and camaraderie( people used to pass smiles and shake hands and converse even with strangers) among old timers there. But I still make it a point to go there and would suggest having a tbhp meet there for it has ample parking and good roads nearby.
Nice to hear a bit of background on Babuaji. But to what I heard about him, he's been there for much longer, but his popularity has soared only recently.

Actually, I'm a tea-freak - whenever I travel to a new city/area, I start scouting for good tea options. As for Babuaji, he holds a special place - his tea is absolutely amazing. When I landed up in Jamshedpur, I used to go all over the city to find these tea-spots. My modus was simple - look where the auto-wallas/taxi guys head to. In fact I found out about him after asking a auto guy! Would you believe, I introduced his tea to over 30-40 people - to the extent that it became almost a weekly habit for 10-15 odd (of us) to go and hang out at his place, spending hours at times.

Quote:
A peice of advise to new people going there: Donot ever mess with people who are regular there, not all are decent/social elements.Dont go by their flashy cars, phones and clothes.
Well, for the record, I have been to his place close to 100 times (not kidding!), and several times with the fairer sex. Never had any problems till date. But yes, we never troubled the local junta, and neither did they. With the situation in most metros, we found Jamshedpur quite safer on these matters!

Quote:
@samarjit: Masala cold drink at Bistupur is still there, prices have gone up to 15 now. Golgappawallahs in Sakchi are still around and I really miss them in Mumbai
Wonder how I missed out on this masala cold drink!
Old 27th April 2012, 15:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice narration samarjitdhar. Yes, it is true that Bahragora to Jamshedpur - Chandil - Balrampur roads are bone breaking, car smashing roads. I went on this road last month only during my long trip from Bangalore to Jharkhand and back.

I survived, as I was driving Safari, but let me tell you one fact, even Safari was scrapped twice between Bahragora and Jamshedpur . I need to research which was 12 inch pothole which was 10 inch or less. But you cannot avoid.

Jamshedpur to Balrampur was equally bad. Later on road condition improves till Dhanbad.

Yes, you have found nice alternative for you return journey.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 15:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Sutripta da, I guess the poster had a closer look at my car windshield and figured out the rest from the parking sticker.
Yes indeed!
Old 27th April 2012, 15:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I wish I could do more road trips. Its a perfect weekend getaway for me but for the horrid roads.

Quote:
Just 15? Used to be 10 I think back then and I mean really way back in early nineties. Looks like inflation has not touched it.
I think Sakchi had the best golgappas (paani puris for the rest of India) anywhere I have tasted. Simply out of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Wonder how I missed out on this masala cold drink!
You gotta be kidding me. It was right next to the petrol pump adjacent to the Regal Ground and the main large roundabout in Bistupur. You must do a road trip just to do that masala cold drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Nice narration samarjitdhar. Yes, it is true that Bahragora to Jamshedpur - Chandil - Balrampur roads are bone breaking, car smashing roads. I went on this road last month only during my long trip from Bangalore to Jharkhand and back.
Thanks. I was keenly following your trip on FB and that unfortunate incident with the Odisha RTO guys . Waiting for your travelogue about this really long trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I survived, as I was driving Safari, but let me tell you one fact, even Safari was scrapped twice between Bahragora and Jamshedpur . I need to research which was 12 inch pothole which was 10 inch or less. But you cannot avoid.
Safari scraping its bottom on an NH is a Guiness World Record feat. I don't think even the IPHE team scraped their SUVs anywhere during their Ladakh trip. NHAI should take a bow for the wonderful state of NH33. Soon these potholes will be clearly visible in satellite view on Google maps.

Quote:
Yes indeed!
Will PM you later separately and catch up.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 16:16   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You gotta be kidding me. It was right next to the petrol pump adjacent to the Regal Ground and the main large roundabout in Bistupur. You must do a road trip just to do that masala cold drink
Oh that! Yup, have had that (too). But didn't find it that great!

But I already have enough "pull" factors to make that trip. Sometime in the near future, for sure.

Btw OT : best golgappas for me was in Bistupur, a little ahead of Chappan Bhog, on the right side of the road. Have sampled enough spots all over the city, so wonder how we'll decide that!
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:11   #27
BHPian

In the spirit of a true pioneer (and the wanderlust struck bangla bhadrolok!) your take on the alternate route is much appreciated.
Quote:
Somewhere before a place called Jhilimili after Bandoan one has to take a left through this forest route but a little bit more traffic with now passenger buses running and go towards Mukutmanipur which has a huge dam and a favorite tourist destination for many. This route also goes through the same forest and actually over some hills making the drive an absolute fabulous experience. The only issue is that this stretch is a single lane road and can get tricky sometimes with vehicles coming from the other side.
I will just suggest a minor change. While going to Bankura from Patamda it much better and safer to go via Manbazar. Google has it mapped out well. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...ra=ls&t=m&z=11

In this case you avoid the small town of Khatra. You miss out on the Forrest drive though but personally I think that is not to much.

The bad stretches that you mentioned around Patamda have been fixed. But be reminded these minor roads to approach Jamshedpur are not to be taken after 6pm. NH33, the main highway is much safer though in terms of law and order but very accident prone after sunset.
Old 9th December 2015, 13:32   #28
BHPian

Hi,

Can someone please advise on the present condition of the road between Durgapur to Jamshedpur via Bankura/Purulia.

I am planning a trip next week.

Thanks in advance for your help !
Old 12th December 2015, 12:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Hi,

Can someone please advise on the present condition of the road between Durgapur to Jamshedpur via Bankura/Purulia.

I am planning a trip next week.

Thanks in advance for your help !
I drove to Jamshedpur from Ranchi last week to attend a friend's wedding. The bridge connecting Chandil and Katra is damaged and undergoing repair work. They have erected a diversion with unpaved roads and a temporary bridge.

I didn't want to take any chances in my low GC Civic so I took a u-turn and went through Dimna and Mango, even though the wedding was in Gamharia.

If you are on Bike or SUV you should be fine. If you don't want any risks, I'd advise turning on to Dimna Road from Chandil and continue from there.
Vivek VS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 13:36   #30
BHPian

Thank you so much Vivek.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks