Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 01:59   #1
BHPian

Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding

One fine day in the month of Oct, I got a wake up call from my very close friend. She said, "Dude I am getting married and the date is fixed Feb 14"
For a minute, I couldn't understand a word she said, as I was not even close to being in my best senses, this would be due to abrupt break in sound sleep.

It took me a while to gather my senses to understand what she said. Feb 13th is my parents anniversary, and March 6th is my wedding, and I was sure my parents kick me on my --- and my WOULD-BE would remain WOULD-BE only.

She pestered me a lot and eventually said, "ok, lemme try"

Days just flew by and it was already Feb 11th.

There were talks at home about couriering all wedding invites to our relatives in Hyderabad and then call them over phone to invite for my wedding.

Voila, an Idea brewed in my mind and next thing I remember is daring to talk to my parents, "Mom, how do you feel if your close relative is inviting you over the phone? It wouldn't be nice. I have a wedding to Attend in Vijayawada and I will travel to Hyderabad stay for couple of days, do my wedding shopping and invite all"

They bought this and I was yippeee....I am about to write history about driving 2000+ kms distance and what more it would be SOLO trip

I spoke to my WOULD-BE, as expected this idea was not fine with my idea of SOLO driving.

Feb 12th, I hadn't even decided which car to take, finally narrowed down on my trustworthy Laura against my i20, though both were diesel cars, i20 could have strained my driving, so opted for Laura. Finally chalked out my route plan, and it looked something like this.
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-untitled.jpg

Took couple of USB's loaded with good music, took couple of packs of Cig's, took few Redbull cans, Loads of water and few snacks to munch.

I didn't worry much about my car's condition as it was serviced a month back, so had nothing much to look into that aspect.

Evening around 5pm, after busy day at work, started my journey from my residence through Old madras road, as I had my dinner plans outskirts of Tirupati.

Reached Thirupati around 9.15pm had my lite dinner along with coffee at Cafe Coffee day.

I continued my journey post Dinner from Tirupati.

It was 10pm and I didn't feel any strain, thanks to Redbull energy drinks I had.

Reached Nellore around 11pm, not too sure about the time, but it was somewhere close to 11pm.

Stopped by for a tea break and smoke. All I could find is Buses and Truck traffic, didn't find one passenger car or cabs.

Attachment 918456
Attachment 918457

Throughout this night drive, I did drive very safe, as back of my mind there was always someone talking that, I am gonna get married and definitely their is an additional responsibility, so I need to be safe and alive

This prompted me to not go beyond 100km/hr even though I had chance of free road ahead.

So DROVE SAFE, no risks taken consciously.

Trouble started to Brew around 2am - 5am IST.

The visibility of the roads dropped to just 10ft, sometimes, the visibility was 0. Inspite of very good after market light bulbs installed, the visibility was very poor. The pics below, will help u understand my plight better.

Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3547.jpg
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3551.jpg
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3552.jpg

My eyes & mind started to play tricks with my judgment of driving couple of times, this made me stop by truck by-lanes, as I didn't wanted to stop by the roadside, due to very low visibility of the road, it would fool any driver and might have been dangerous fearing accident.

So cautiously searched for a nearby truck by-lane and parked my car. I ensure I put hazard signals and fog lamps and brake fog lamps on.

Got down, washed my face, took a smoke brake.

By this time, I was tired, strained mainly due to low visibility. Due to eye strain, I had mild head-ache.

I purposely didn't go in for pain-killer medicine, though I had carried it with me, this could cause drowsiness which was not advisable at such point of time.

I thought, let me take a power nap for few mins and then again get refreshed and continue my journey.

Took 30mins break and started my journey towards my destination.

Around 5am, the fog started to disappear, this was a hint, that I was nearing Vijayawada. Hot weather played its part in clearing the fog.

Reached Vijayawada around 6am. Called my friend's cousin, and he directed me to a common place which I knew. He was there with his baggage waiting for me.

I wanted to use the restroom badly and urgency grew every minute. My friend suggested we go to a club, where he is a member.

I have been very particular about cleanliness of bathrooms I use, so that too was running in my thoughts. Luckily since, it was around 7am nobody had used the restrooms and it was clean. That was a blessing for me in disguise.

Finished all my chores, and we started around 7am to Bhimmavaram, which was I believe some 150+kms.

We came across beautiful scenarios, as we deviated from NH to SH leading to Bhimmavaram.
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3572.jpg
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3596.jpg
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3587.jpg

Finally, I reached my friend's place, and OMG, too many people, too many functions were in progress. I was already hungry, and they made me take bath first, which was a disappointment.

I had my breakfast, and her cousins, took me to farmhouse for my stay. I just crashed on the bed and didn't even realized when I was in deep sleep.

I woke up around 4pm and all of my friend's cousins, were outside and were pretty much in the party mood.

I was being briefed about Bhimmavaram's history and its culture. I got to know, the cockfight is very much integral part of their culture, which is considered biggest game for them. Every big shots in town, breed these special breed of cockfighters.
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3612.jpg
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3615.jpg

I was told, during Sankranti Festival, people from all over Andhra come to see these fights and usually they bet on the cocks. It's like a derby race. Gambling and stakes are PRETTY HIGH, running into Lakhs of ruppees.

Since, I hadn't witnessed any such events, they wanted to showcase the same to me for which I gladly obliged.

Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3625.jpg
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3630.jpg

These special breeds vary in different sizes and colors. I was also told, these breeds are fed with Cashew's, Badam's and other dry fruits.

I was also told, if the cock loses the fight, the winner takes home and savors the chicken along with the family as a matter of pride.

These cockfighter breed costs a fortune ranging anywhere between thousands to lakhs of rupees.

Later in the evening, there was a sangeet function at Bride's place and we all danced the night away.

There is surprise here folks, my friend's wedding was at 1am IST on Feb 14th, which also happened to be Valentine's day. Surprise was, my would-be had sent in flowers (full of red roses) with a letter to the wedding hall, through one of her friend. There was an announcement in the wedding hall, "Mr. Tejas? We have a guest looking for you, with a gift from your would-be" For few minutes, I stole the limelight from my Friend, who was on stage receiving her guests.

I myself am a guest at her wedding, and there was an announcement, about a guest of mine at the venue.

So it was a very pleasant and surprising gift from my would-be.

After completing her wedding, I started off to Hyderabad, where I had to pass via Vijayawada. Hence, I started off my journey at 2am IST along with one of her cousin, who had accompanied me.

I dropped him at Vijayawada around 4am, and headed towards Hyderabad.

I reached Hyderabad outskirts around 10am and directly went to my cousin's place for breakfast. I took some rest for couple of hours.

In these 2 days of my stay in Hyderabad, I had ordered my wedding dress, my wedding shoe shopping, inviting all my relatives one after another, meeting friends, attended parties hosted by few friends, shopping gifts and sweets.

The truth is, I had no sleep/rest at all. But it was fun in its own way.

on 18th Feb, early morning, I came back to my cousin's place at 1am after a dinner party hosted by friend. I was supposed to be traveling back to Bangalore that morning.

I slept for few hours, had put an alarm at 5am. Woke up per planned time, 5.30am I left my cousins place in Hyderabad. Took outer ring road.

This journey back to Bangalore, can you believe, if I said, there was NO traffic at all on Hyd-Bangalore highway? You wouldn't. But folks, it was true, No Vehicles, No buses no interventions on the road by local ppl. No crossings, no cattles none. It was like the road was deserted.

Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3763.jpg
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3765.jpg
Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding-img_3766.jpg

This is when I stretched my Laura with calculated risk. (don't ask me what I meant by Calculated risk, every driver decides how and when to drive considering the surroundings and road conditions).

Within no time, I had reached Devanahalli (outskirts of Bangalore), due to not much traffic in Bangalore at that point of time, I reached home at around 10.45am and was having my breakfast at that time.

Finally, the end of my last SOLO driving which was kind of adventurous and fun.

I can't even plan one now after wedding. But this shall never be forgotten.

I would like to thank my most trusted ride for its safety and stability, the LAURA.

Mod Note: Post edited. We would appreciate if you didn't boast about covering intercity distances in record times. Team-BHP supports safe driving practices and believes members need to set the right example.

Last edited by noopster : 23rd April 2012 at 15:47. Reason: Please check mod note in post
Old 20th April 2012, 04:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Adventurous Solo Driving totalling 1803kms, just 2 weeks before my Wedding

Interesting, a SOLO trip before your wedding, hmmmmm. Bring it on buddy, please share your driving experience, interesting events, photos and "unforgettable" moment.

Awaiting an interesting travelogue from you.
balajird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 11:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I am recollecting the solo rides I did before the marriage. Now no chance of these tricks at home. A plain and simple answer as NO for anything related to riding.

Your travelogue makes an interesting read. Please continue and bombard the thread with pics.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:13   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:25   #5
BHPian

Your last solo anything, more like it

Congratulations on your impending moment, and it's how we react to impulses like this that define who we are.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 19:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Interesting, a SOLO trip before your wedding, hmmmmm. Bring it on buddy, please share your driving experience, interesting events, photos and "unforgettable" moment.

Awaiting an interesting travelogue from you.
Thanks for the support sir. These trips are now forbidden, as I need to take my companion everywhere, before wedding, it was just my car who was my companion, now, its more like, "Pati, Patni or Wo (my car)"
Old 26th April 2012, 01:58   #7
BHPian

Every day is an experience in itself "Kicksperliter", I have been enjoying my trips that was done alone, with groups of unknown people, with my friends and recently with my wife and kids. Every drive has pages of stories to share.

Enjoy your drive and when time permits, please do share.

P.S - I am currently enjoying the travelogues of others and would probably writing my own in future.

Most Viewed