Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 19:54   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
guys, what are the scenic places and good drives near chennai (doable over a day or max a weekend?) as of now, folks have told me about pondicherry, the zoo, mahabalipuram , but what else is there ?
Yelagiri.

Nothing great about the place. But nice for a weekend drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 20:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
guys, what are the scenic places and good drives near chennai (doable over a day or max a weekend?) as of now, folks have told me about pondicherry, the zoo, mahabalipuram , but what else is there ?
Here is the list

Around chennai

Mahabalipuram , Pondicherry, Karaikal
Vellore & Kanchipuram - Forts and temples
Yelagiri - Hill station
Gingee - Fort & Thiruvannamalai - Temples
Kumbakonam & Tanjore - Temples

In chennai
Marina Beach
Besant Nagar & ECR beaches
Muttukadu boating

Please PM me if you are looking for any specific kind of places. Happy to help
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 22:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well, this certainly is not a place situated around Chennai but it was a weekend trip and hence putting up the pictures here . Myself along with family went on a temple visit to Kumbakonam last weekend. Took the camera along in the hope of capturing Gopurams of temples but father duty prevented that .

We were put up in a property called the river side resort. Quite a clean and nice place, used to belong to TTDC (still does?) I was told. Anyway, got up sometime around 7 and saw some flowers and birds within the compound and hence took out the camera and fired of some shots. Hope you like them.

Flower (Frangipani??)
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8585.jpg

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8596.jpg

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8597.jpg

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8599.jpg

Moon during day time
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8620.jpg

Random shot
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8622.jpg

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8652.jpg

Red Vented bulbul
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8634.jpg

Whats this?
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8657.jpg

Roufus Treepie
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8660.jpg

Myna Portrait
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8665.jpg

Myna Over my head!!!
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8670.jpg

Black Drongo
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8682.jpg

Spotted Dove
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_8710.jpg

Thanks to Aravind Venkatraman (Aravind84) for identifying a couple of birds unknown to me
Old 21st June 2012, 07:52   #34
BHPian

Sorry for being away for sometime now. Ofcourse that did not mean a rest to the lenses.

Next on the list is the Semmozhi poonga. This is one of the few new entrants to the city. thanks to the previous govt for their efforts to convert one of the best drive in restaurants to a botanical park.
This place is located in the heart of chennai and right opposite to the US consulate. Unfortunately, these days they are open for the public only on weekends and that too only in the evenings.

Entry charge is 5 Rs and camera is charged at 10 Rs. It is a good place to try out some of our new equipments in particular.

This time the theme for me was to test my newly acquired 50 mm lens. Let the pictures take over.

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-rose-bee.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-path-freedom.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-selective-coloring-attempt.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-dragon-fly.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-duck-eye.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-water-freeze-attempt.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-rose-rose.jpg
Old 24th June 2012, 15:12   #35
BHPian

Had a wonderful field day yesterday Birding @ Siruthavur. Ever sense, i explored this place for the first time i always wanted to go back to this place and explore more of the place. This time it was couple of other friends who joined me . We took a brand new Chevy beat of one of our friend. The drive as always was smooth with very less traffic.
Before moving on with the pictures a quick feel good about the car( Ofcourse we are in Cars cars and cars related forum). Felt the car had good space and leg room and nice dashboard looks. Everything is digital and except for the little turbo lag the car is overall great to drive in city limits.

Now on to the pictures

Red Vented Bulbul
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-bulbul-portrait.jpg
Dragon Fly
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-dragon-fly-up-close.jpg
Green Bee Eater
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-green-bee-eater-portrait.jpg
Hoope
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-hoope.jpg
Indian Roller Bird
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-indian-roller-bird.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-indian-roller.jpg
Kingfishers
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-kingfishers-portrait.jpg
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-kingfisher.jpg
Roufus Tree Pie
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-ruofus-tree-pie.jpg
Lapwings
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-redvent-lapwing.jpg
aravind84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 00:01   #36
BHPian

Has anyone visited Guindy National Park? People get this confused with Guindy Children's Park though the vehicle parking and entrance are the same for both. I did go there few years back and took few photos of blackbucks, spotted deer, a star tortoise, etc. I think one has to take prior permission from the forest department.
Old 25th June 2012, 00:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yelagiri.

Nothing great about the place. But nice for a weekend drive.
Absolutely agree to that, but my excitement about going there was the drive up and down, beautiful roads and lovely curves. Love to do that again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Here is the list

Around chennai

Mahabalipuram , Pondicherry, Karaikal
Vellore & Kanchipuram - Forts and temples
Yelagiri - Hill station
Gingee - Fort & Thiruvannamalai - Temples
Kumbakonam & Tanjore - Temples

In chennai
Marina Beach
Besant Nagar & ECR beaches
Muttukadu boating

Please PM me if you are looking for any specific kind of places. Happy to help
As you can see from above, it is all temples here in TN, but there are some nice places to explore too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Has anyone visited Guindy National Park? People get this confused with Guindy Children's Park though the vehicle parking and entrance are the same for both. I did go there few years back and took few photos of blackbucks, spotted deer, a star tortoise, etc. I think one has to take prior permission from the forest department.
I have been there many times jayguar, I have only seen snake park and children's park, never ever heard of this national park. Are you talking about the lot of shrubbery around this place, including IIT ?
Old 25th June 2012, 08:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
I heard that the forest dept does not give any permission these days and hence entry inside the national park is restricted. Kindly let me know if there is any way one can seek permissions.
Old 25th June 2012, 09:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have been there many times jayguar, I have only seen snake park and children's park, never ever heard of this national park. Are you talking about the lot of shrubbery around this place, including IIT ?
It has a separate entrance and I heard walls separate the National Park and IIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
I heard that the forest dept does not give any permission these days and hence entry inside the national park is restricted. Kindly let me know if there is any way one can seek permissions.
I went there few years ago and not sure what the situation now is. One of my friends had got the permission at that time. I'll ask him for more details on the permission part. I think as per the rule, a watcher has to accompany the people visiting the National Park. As far as I know, one will not get permission during annual census and special forest department programs.
Old 14th July 2012, 19:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Went to the Theosophical society the last weekend. For people interested in going there, you have to take permission from the GM's office before trying to take photograph. They do monitor the same strictly and come for random check ups. Also, they take about a week to provide the permission.

Jungle Babbler
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9148.jpg

Flower
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9179.jpg

Asian Koel - Female
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9189.jpg

Parrot
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9196.jpg

Butterfly
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9222.jpg

Flame back Woodpecker
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9233.jpg

Asian Koel - Male
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9259.jpg

Flower
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9269.jpg

Magpie
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9283.jpg

Owlet
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-img_9294.jpg
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 21:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Long time since some pics were put up. These shots were taken on the ECR about a month back. The moon shot was taken from the terrace of my home though.

Sunrise on the ECR:

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-20120901img_0126.jpg

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-20120901img_0142.jpg

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-20120901img_0144.jpg

Bird formation:

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-20120901img_0163.jpg

Breakfast for the butterfly:

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-20120901img_0223.jpg

Painted Stork in flight:

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-20120901img_0244.jpg

Silky Beach:

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-silky-beach.jpg
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 19:53   #42
BHPian

Re: A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Birding in chennai

Its been a while since we shared some of our weekend activity here. Thought shall do it now since the new season for birding has started and it has indeed yeilding good results.

With the supreme court ban on tourism we were left handicapped. We decided to stick around the city and explore various places where we hear regular birding activity.

Let me start off with some of the recent shots from Annamalaicheri Bird Sanctuary.

Where : Annamalaicheri Bird Sanctuary
Near : Ponneri - Pulicat
Route taken : NH 4 till Ponneri and take a right follow the signboard for Pulicat for a distance and you will see a signboard for Annamalaicheri. Follow the directions.
Note : Boating in Pulicat lake is officially banned following the recent accidents and here in Annamalaicheri the same is approved and there is regular operators with the boat.

Shall add some of the pictures i had taken over the last 1 month. Yes, been heading there for almost all weekends.

Greater Flamingo
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-gf.jpg
Eurasian Curlew
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-ecp.jpg
Common Greenshank
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-green-shank.jpg
Spot Billed Pelican
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-spot-bill-pelican.jpg
Pied Kingfisher with Catch
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-pkf.jpg
Caspian Tern in Flight
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-tern-flight.jpg
Green Bee Eater
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-bee-eater-veritcal-compo.jpg
Little Stint
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-lesser-stint.jpg
Lesser Sand Plover
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-lesser-sand-plover.jpg
Indian Roller in flight
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-roller-flight.jpg
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 16:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Went to the Theosophical society the last weekend. ....
Hi,

I visited Chennai's "Chokhi Dhani" today.

I must tell you that I found the experience pretty underwhelming.

However it may throw up some interesting shooting opportunities for you.

Do give it a shot.
Old 12th December 2020, 19:44   #44
BHPian

These are migratory birds that come near my home @Rajakilpakkam Chennai. These guys will be here by end of November every year and migrate back by February 1st week.

The lakes south of Chennai are good places for migratory bird sightings. Pallikaranai marshlands , Perumbakkam lake are even better places.
Attached Thumbnails
A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-2fcbdd9cdcb0410cbf4284cd59ca9dda.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-5e79500f2c4c49b8a55d73c5a937d4b2.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-b5a681c33f18468dae13bcaa01b92c18.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-5666a0d7cf34437694a88d32372dbf0d.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-041ac0854aef4791bd612559cb38caa0.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-99ed9d1adf16495da1c0bfde71030e76.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-69c1c7ad8a7c4252a08db72f2204e28b.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-651493bc6dff43d8adc9db24dfa69201.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-ae85b580691d406ea73b46f8e87f246e.jpeg  

A shutterbug experiences around chennai - Weekend getaways in chennai-38ffc604dc714a1cbc9de1e4a0f791a1.jpeg  

Last edited by saisree : 12th December 2020 at 19:47.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed