Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 12:13   #1
BHPian

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue

Bombay - Mumbai - Bombai

Whatever, it is? Many thinks, it is a city of dreams and oppertunity. However, there are many things which we do not explore here. As the concrete jungle offering many oppertunities but at the same time eating up those mud flats and the real jungles. Every year many wetland birds viz., Flamingos, Waders, Stilts, Strokes visit Mumbai from Kutch after breeding. This year too they have come in plenty.

The new arrivals this year are Painted stroke, Spoon bills, Northern shoveler male and Rudy shell ducks. For the first time i saw them in Airoli creek in huge numbers but the no. of flamingoes has gone down, i feel.

As usual, i went on a noisy boat to the Airoli mud flats to greet the guests of the year. It is tough to photograph in a moving boat as it vibrates a lot. Tried to captures them. Hope you guys will like them. Lets the pictures say it all.

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-158_filtered-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-368_filtered-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-airoli76-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-airoli-proc109-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-airoli_filtered-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-flamingos-airoli_filtered-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-airoli_filtered-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-sea-gull_filtered-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-sharpen-flamingoes339_filtered.jpg2-copy.jpg

Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue-sharpen-skimmers123-copy.jpg

Cheers!
Subrat
Subrat Seet is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 12:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Wild Side of Mumbai - A Photologue

wow great shots! the clarity is superb. I am just curious to know what photo equipment(s) you used. could you give details on that please. Things like make of camera body, Lenses you used etc etc. Thanks

Amrish
Old 27th April 2012, 12:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Captures, As amrisharm said, could you update on the equipment used and camera settings. Also a bit more info on the location, when and how to get there. Thanks!
Old 27th April 2012, 12:43   #4
BHPian

nice pics. never knew Airoli creek gets so many beautiful visitors. how long do these birds stay here?
Old 27th April 2012, 13:12   #5
BHPian

awesome pics Subrat. When did you do this trip? Are the birds still there? looking at your pics - noone can say that they were taken from a shaky boat, great clarity and crisp shots, even the BIFs.

What tripod do you use?
Old 27th April 2012, 13:38   #6
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic set of pics again, Subrat! Thanks for sharing.

This place is so close to where I stay, but somehow the whole deal about hiring a small boat and tracking the high-tide timings is something that I have been putting off for quite some time.

Any pointers on reliable people who can help with a boat would be highly appreciated.
Old 27th April 2012, 13:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Superb clicks, such clarity on the photographs. Never imagined this were taken from a running boat. Which part of the Airoli creek was the location, can you provide any addtional details.

Hats off Subrat for the sheer effort. Pls do update on the equipment used.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
wow great shots! the clarity is superb. I am just curious to know what photo equipment(s) you used. could you give details on that please. Things like make of camera body, Lenses you used etc etc. Thanks

Amrish
Thank you so much for your appreciation. I use Canon 7D (Body) and Lens 100-400 L IS USM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Awesome Captures, As amrisharm said, could you update on the equipment used and camera settings. Also a bit more info on the location, when and how to get there. Thanks!
Thanks. This is placed called Airoli creek. Need to hire a fishing boat to reach there. Most importantly the tide timings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
nice pics. never knew Airoli creek gets so many beautiful visitors. how long do these birds stay here?
Thanks. Birds stay till end of May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
awesome pics Subrat. When did you do this trip? Are the birds still there? looking at your pics - noone can say that they were taken from a shaky boat, great clarity and crisp shots, even the BIFs.

What tripod do you use?
Thank you so much. I went there in March 2012. All pictures were taken hand held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Fantastic set of pics again, Subrat! Thanks for sharing.

This place is so close to where I stay, but somehow the whole deal about hiring a small boat and tracking the high-tide timings is something that I have been putting off for quite some time.

Any pointers on reliable people who can help with a boat would be highly appreciated.
I will let you know the contacts. Thanks for appreciating the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Superb clicks, such clarity on the photographs. Never imagined this were taken from a running boat. Which part of the Airoli creek was the location, can you provide any addtional details.

Hats off Subrat for the sheer effort. Pls do update on the equipment used.
As i said above, use canon 7D and 100-400 L IS USM lens. Little faster shutter speed i used for these pictures. Thanks for the comments.

Sorry for not able to reply to your comments. I am little busy preparing for my next trips.
Subrat
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:52   #9
BHPian

Very nice clicks. Use of DOF is spot on and the birds are really well separated from the background. Sharpness is spot on as well!! Kudos!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Subrat,
Awesome shots.
I have a friend who also drags me to Karnala, Sewri creek every once in awhile for such BIRD spotting/shooting. I love the walks & the photography bug is also catching up.
Hope we can get together on the WILD side sometime.

Raab rakha.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:06   #11
BHPian

Absolutely stunning captures. Watched them over and over again. Three Cheers for highlighting this part of our city.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Very nice clicks. Use of DOF is spot on and the birds are really well separated from the background. Sharpness is spot on as well!! Kudos!!
Thanks for the Comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Hi Subrat,
Awesome shots.
I have a friend who also drags me to Karnala, Sewri creek every once in awhile for such BIRD spotting/shooting. I love the walks & the photography bug is also catching up.
Hope we can get together on the WILD side sometime.

Raab rakha.
Thank you so much. I too went to Karnala. Keep the bug in control otherwise, you will end up spending on equipments. Sure, we will catch up sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Absolutely stunning captures. Watched them over and over again. Three Cheers for highlighting this part of our city.
Thanks dear.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:27   #13
BANNED

The pictures are amazing and so is your passion for the shoot. Subrat, I am so jealous that you have done so well what I have always wanted to do but never got of the couch to. I recently got myself a bridge camera , the Canon SX40HS. Its a great camera too but has its small sensor limitations. On the other hand it saves me the trouble of lugging lenses etc since it has a 35 X zoom.

You could shoot the old buildings of Mumbai by early morning light. There are beautiful structures in South Mumbai.
Also , once the monsoon is half way through, you could do the Mumbai-Goa coastal trip.
You, I am sure will get some YUMM pics. Great show Subrat.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
The pictures are amazing and so is your passion for the shoot. Subrat, I am so jealous that you have done so well what I have always wanted to do but never got of the couch to. I recently got myself a bridge camera , the Canon SX40HS. Its a great camera too but has its small sensor limitations. On the other hand it saves me the trouble of lugging lenses etc since it has a 35 X zoom.

You could shoot the old buildings of Mumbai by early morning light. There are beautiful structures in South Mumbai.
Also , once the monsoon is half way through, you could do the Mumbai-Goa coastal trip.
You, I am sure will get some YUMM pics. Great show Subrat.
Thank you so much. I will do the same.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Clicks. Superb outcome. I never knew that Airoli creek area was a bird spotting area. Really the photos have come great and that too hand held. You should be the official TBHP photographer from Mumbai for all events happening in Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks