Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2006, 15:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Weekend Travelogue: Yercaud, Tamil Nadu

Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri - Salem – Yercaud – Bangalore (460 km)

Members – Roy’s and Rudra’s in AltoLXi

With this trip I have completed all the four hill stations of TN (after Ooty, Kodai, Yelagiri). This was a sudden plan a day before in office between Sukanta and me. My other trip members Nikhil and Pachhu couldn’t join because of work pressure. We also plan to leave early so that to reach Yercaud by lunch. Also wanted to enjoy the early morning drive.

Day 1(1st April, 2006): We get up at 4:15AM, take a nice bath and pack the necessary stuffs and start at 5:15AM to pick up Sukanta and his wife from Cox Town. By 5:45 we started our journey from Cox Town. Nice early morning breeze and empty roads made a nice drive and within 20 min we were in Silk board junction and on NH7.

The road was empty and within no time the car was zooming at 100kmph. This is the first time that my car is running in this beautiful stretch and we were enjoying the drive. Also the beautiful Kishore numbers adding more aura. We reached Hosur in no time and once past the Ashok Leyland plant, the speedo started to increase. Hosur – Krishnagiri stretch is a beauty as always and also there was almost no traffic in the morning. The speedometer already touched 120kmph. A blast to 130kmph and left the pedal, maintained 100 – 120 kmph thereafter.

This is Hosur - Krishnagiri stretch of NH7

By 7:15AM, we took our first break at Hotel Uthaiyah about 10km before Krishnagiri toll gate, the same place where we always take our first break. Had 2 rounds of hot tea and the always-amazing masala dosas. I have a special liking of food of Tamil Nadu specially dosas. It has a special taste and I make sure I don’t miss the masala dosas in Tamil Nadu.

We started our journey after breakfast at around 8AM, reached the toll gate in 10 min. This time I had to pay the toll-fee and proceeded towards Dharmapuri. I knew from my previous experiences that the road from Krishnagiri to Dharmapuri had lot of sudden potholes and I was very careful this time and never increased the speed past 50-60kmph even though the road appeared smooth fearing a sudden graveyard. But this time the road has improved a lot compared to my last visit although there were some potholes. Work on the North-South corridor has started on this stretch.

We reached Dharmapuri at around 9AM. Roads improved after that. The 4 laning work is in progress in the stretch from Dharmapuri – Salem. Also the existing 2 lane roads are also good. We were held up for 15min due to a jam on the rail-gate. After that the traffic slowly eased out and we entered the ghat section. Here the 4 laning has been done and the drive was an absolute beauty.

This one is the road after the ghat section between Dharmapuri and Salem

We reached Salem at 10:30AM and took a small break under a tree just before starting the hill climb. Thanks to boudi, we relished some home made dal-puri and paneer-sabji alongwith lots of water, as Salem was really hot that time.

This is 5 road junction in Salem.

We started the hill climb around 11AM. The roads were decent and the stretch was about 30km with lots of hairpin bends. It is bit on the narrow side too. It took us about 45min to climb. The weather was improving with altitude and surroundings picturesque. There were lots of monkeys on the road too.

This is Hill Road and surroundings

We checked into Silver Holiday Cottage near Lake by noon. The cottage was really clean and tidy. Had a nice lunch took a small nap of an hour.

In the evening went to visit the Lady’s seat about 3 km from hotel to see the sunset. It was great place where we can see the entire Salem town. You can also see the roads winding up to Yercaud from Salem. One strange thing that I noticed from that viewpoint is that once it gets dark, and Salem town illuminates, if you carefully watch the boundary it resembles like an India-map. I tried to confirm the same with the bhajji wala there and he too told the same thing.
Some pics from Lady's seat

Spent a nice 3 hours there, enjoying the valley and eating hot mirchi-bhajis and chips. There was a nice breeze blowing across. We drove back to the hotel at 7:30PM.

At 8PM, we went walking past the lakeside to Hotel Shevaroys for dinner. Before entering the restaurant we checked into the super-market of the shevaroy group and did some shopping. We had a decent dinner with malabar fish curry, rice, basket of rotis etc. and strolled back to hotel by 11PM.

Day 2(2nd April, 2006): We got up at 6AM and decided to do some trekking. Sukanta, paramita and myself decided to trek up towards hotel grand palace at the topmost point of Yercaud. This is the only hotel on this hill totally owned by grand palace. It was a great atmosphere, nice breeze, and little misty environment. We went into the hotel checked the tariff and visited the other side of the hill which opens up on the valley. Next time I will surely try this hotel, little expensive but nice place to experience valley on all sides.

Some Early morning pics (the 4th one is of the Attur valley taken from the backside of grand palace):

We return to hotel at 8AM did some photography and time for breakfast. We all were very hungry after the trek. We had delicious masala dosas and idlis alongwith tea for breakfast in the cottage’s restaurant.

Then we started towards lady seat to visit the Rose garden and Carmel Ashram. On the way visited the beautiful nursery near the lake. Both the ladies bought some plants from there. I really liked the nursery and the kind of drip technique they use to water the plants.

Checked into carmel ashram first, saw the church and met with one sister who took us to a room where they sell some stuffs like candles, kali-mirch, tej-patta at throw away prices. We bought some stuffs and did some photo shoot in the kali-mirch-cum-coffee jungle inside ashram campus.

We moved to rose garden just opposite to the ashram and spent some time there. It is a huge garden. It was already past 11 when we decided to move back so that we don’t get late returning to Bangalore before night. On our return to the hotel we checked into Bhavani Singh’s perfume factory where hari singh, his son explained all the funda of various lotions and oils and their remedies. We did buy a couple of stuffs for my dad.

We reached back to hotel by 12:45PM. Packed our stuffs, had a nice bath and an even nice and hot lunch from the hotel’s restaurant. It was a delicious south Indian thali. We checked out hotel at 1:30PM and went into the lake for some photography and started our return journey at 2:30PM.

Some pics of the lake:

We had a brief 20min break after Dharmapuri for soft drinks and biscuits. I thought of taking a break at Uthaiyah but the empty roads on golden quadrilateral was so tempting that I just couldn’t slow down and zoomed past. Reached silk board by 7PM and reached home after dropping Sukanta by 7:45PM.

Nice weekend journey from Bangalore. It was a nice place to just do nothing and simply enjoy the atmosphere.

Tripmeter reading 503kms
Started with Full tank Petrol (Shell Normal). Fuel meter is roughly 1/3rd now. Didn't fill petrol to check the exact FE. Assuming it might have burned 22-23lit. In any case, FE is definitely 20+ kmpl.

Signing off
Abhijit Kumar Roy
Old 5th April 2006, 17:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write-up Abhijit!
Now I have some idea to plan a trip to Yercaud!
Thanks!
Old 5th April 2006, 17:29   #3
BHPian

:-)

Neat one Abhijit.
Hope to see more
Old 5th April 2006, 20:05   #4
BHPian

That's a real good travelogue with all the details anyone need to set out from Bangalore.
Old 5th April 2006, 20:08   #5
BHPian

Nice write up. i always had yercadu in my mind, but now u provoked me , i will be visiting this place soon !!
Old 5th April 2006, 23:53   #6
BHPian

YERCAUD...used to go there often when I was young..sigh..brings back old memories..
Old 19th April 2006, 06:33   #7
BHPian

Hey Abiii,
dat was a very good trip....
Btw, where z de pic of your Alto Lxi???
Great !
Keep explorin'.
Cheers,
Jai
Old 26th April 2006, 12:09   #8
BHPian

Nice Post!, yercaud is a nice place, been there couple of time, i take bike everytime to enjoy the climb/drive through the winding roads. I am quite surprised by the india map thing, will check it out the next time i visit there. :-)
Old 19th June 2006, 10:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

That was a good write-up Abhi,
I have been there for once,, that was immediately after I entered Bangalore - South India. It was nice experiance with ladies seat / Children's Seat / and if i remember it correctly there's one for gents as well. There was another place where we went for the sunset (may be a sunset point or something) that was good too - tho a small place.
and then the botanical garden I beleive was good that we didnt go or (i guess thats in the opposite side of the petrol pump on that road. Its been a long time I had been there. Need to plan another trip.
Next time, I'll definately try to look for the map of India
Old 19th June 2006, 17:38   #10
BHPian

Good write-up as usual Abhi..last weekend i was there in yercaud too ..i stayed in shevaroys....

Edit - didn't you trek down to kiliyur falls? thats an awesome place for photography

Last edited by The Matrix : 19th June 2006 at 17:40.
Old 13th August 2007, 13:32   #11
BHPian

How long a trek is it to Kiliyur falls? I am planning a trip to Yercaud next week. With my wife and my second son, who's just 7 months old. If at all I am trying it, should I go at it alone?

Nice report, Abhi. This is good reference for my first trip to Yercaud. I am planning to drive down from Chennai, spend two days at Yercaud and then drive on to Palakkad.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:01   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Abhi, did you go to the telescope point? The guide tells us that on a clear day one can even see the Mettur Dam from Yercaud.

The drive to Kiliyur falls is about 3kms from the lake. After 2kms the road ends and one has to trek down for a km to get to the the actual falls.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 13th August 2007 at 14:02.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Abhi, did you go to the telescope point? The guide tells us that on a clear day one can even see the Mettur Dam from Yercaud.
Ya i did, It is near ladies's seat...You can see the road winding up from Salem, I couldnt see Mettur Dam as it was foggy..But one thing was very funny, the lights from Salem town resembles like a mini india if seen from Ladies seat...

Quote:
Nice report, Abhi. This is good reference for my first trip to Yercaud. I am planning to drive down from Chennai, spend two days at Yercaud and then drive on to Palakkad.
Ya go ahead, Try Hotel Grand Palace,but make sure you book the hotels in advance. ALso buy some good oils, check the demo of Bhavani Singh's factory...they sell some amazing oils which really gives nice relief...

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 13th August 2007 at 14:22.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ya go ahead, Try Hotel Grand Palace,but make sure you book the hotels in advance. ALso buy some good oils, check the demo of Bhavani Singh's factory...they sell some amazing oils which really gives nice relief...
Abhi
Thanks for the tip, Abhi. Yeah I will try some of those oils.

I have a timeshare with Sterling and have booked there for three nights. The plan is just to do nothing and unwind. I understand it is located at Lady's Seat.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:41   #15

wow...Yercaud was in my mind but could not visit when i was posted in coimatore.Now i have transfered to chennai.Your write up has initiated a chain reaction in me...pls let me know all the immportant places so that i may not miss any .How much is the tariff of Hotel grand Palace and the one you people stayed...?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks