Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 15:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi

So, on 5th May 2012, we left Bangalore at around 5 AM in the morning for Margaon, Goa (650 kms). We took Tumkur Road and traffic was sparse, since it being early morning. We quickly left the madness of Bangalore in within minutes, and were cruising around 120-130 easily on NH4 till Hubli. Roads were 4 lanes and were excellent and so were the sceneries.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0118.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0124.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0137.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0182.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0194.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0200.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0201.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0208.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0210.jpg

From Hubli, we then took NH67 towards Kalghatgi, Ankola and coastal town of Karwar. This is a two lane road, so, overtaking was a bit pain. However, condition of the road was excellent and didn't recollect any rough patch. What is interesting with this route was the beautiful green ghats. I loved the drive immensely, twisting and turning the hills. We frequently stopped to take photographs and of course, to attend to nature calls .

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0245.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0265.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0274.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0281.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0285.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0290.jpg

On this route, we saw a diversion towards a narrow lane on the right, with a sign board pointing to a waterfall spot. We were already excited because of the drive, but seeing the waterfall marking, we decided to visit it, and took the right diversion and towards the narrow single lane. The first few kms of the lane were OK condition. However, as we drove further, we encountered patholes filled roads and it got worse as we drove deep down. There were no human habitation around, but for a few bus sheds.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0291.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0294.jpg

We came by towards a temple, and ask the pujari how far is the waterfall. "Only kannade, na hindi". With hand notation, we manage to get direction and approximate distance. He pointed 10 fingers, so we assumed it must be still 10 kms ahead. So, with our enthusiasm still intact, we drove carefully on the patholes filled roads. However, after reaching 2-3 kms further, the conditions got worse, and the car bottom out on a huge cater. That shocked me to the core, and dampens our spirit to carry ahead. So, we turned around, and came back the same route to the main highway, not wanting to waste any more time on places not marked on the garmin device. This is when we came by a bus plying on this road. Ah, we had some consolation, that we were not the only fools commuting at this remote jungle.

We proceeded towards Ankola and Karwar. We could smell Goa the moment we entered Karwar. And yeah, the journey lead us to the coastal highways and there we could finally see the Arabian sea and the coastal beaches. We were very excited, eager to reach Goa.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0329.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0335.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0349.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0356.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0371.jpg

More coming soon...
iTNerd is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 15:34   #2
BHPian

Re: My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi

Hi, slightly off topic but if I remember correctly, I have seen your car parked in my apartment complex (couple of times) in Kaggadasapura . By any chance, do you stay there ?
Old 17th May 2012, 15:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Hi, slightly off topic but if I remember correctly, I have seen your car parked in my apartment complex (couple of times) in Kaggadasapura . By any chance, do you stay there ?
I stayed at whitefield. But my sister stays there (kaggadaspura) and I often visit. I think, yours is a grey/greenish ANHC with IDS? I often see it parked inside.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

We reached Margaon City, Goa by 4 PM. The 650 kms journey has taken around 11 hours, including the hour lost in the waterfall greed, and of course on lunch and photo breaks. However, thanks to Garmin and my BB GPS, both were very helpful in locating places and routes. We had a quick bite at Margaon city center, and started looking for hotels around the beaches. We shortlisted Colva beach and inquire 2-3 hotels. Special summer pricing treat, we got some good deals, and inputted the destination to BB GPS, and voila, just 8-10 kms from the city center. We drove anticipating a sea side beach resort. And it didn't disappoint

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0521.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0390.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0687.jpg

After checking in, we fled to the beach. We were all so excited (comes naturally for people like us who had lived inland for much of our lives).

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0427.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0442.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0478.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0425.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0439.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0452.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0485.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0518.jpg

The next day, we drove to Panjim city. After driving around 30 or 40 kms in the scorching heat, we reached Panjim. Nice city and we hanged around to buy some beach wears.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0588.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0577.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0597.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0603.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0614.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0624.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0629.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0633.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0648.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0672.jpg

After 2 days in Goan beaches and enjoying the breeze and food, we started off for Pune. Nightmare was to be bestowed to us shortly. coming soon..

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2012 at 13:52. Reason: We are VERY strict about rule #11.
iTNerd is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 10:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

on 7th May, we left Margaon at 10 AM, expecting a smooth run to Pune by the evening via NH4. We filled up petrol, wow - just Rs 54 per litre. How ridiculous was Rs. 81 at Shell in Bangalore!!

Initially, our plan was to use NH17 all the way to Mumbai, as many people had recommended it in TeamBHP. We had already driven around 75 kms in NH17 two lanes from Karwar to Margaon earlier in our journey, most of it in ghat section. Though NH17 was exciting and fun, it was exhausting, and traffic was crazy. Overtaking was even more painful. So, we ditched it, and followed the shortest route to NH4 as per Google maps - Margaon > Quepem > Kulem > Bhagwan Mahaveer national park > Khanapur > Belgaum. I did read about about this not being recommended in TeamBHP route guide. However, that slipped my mind as we started off late. In hurry, we went with what Gmap recommended. O boy, we were in deep trouble. Apparently, there is a large mine in this route, and heaven God, never had I seen so many trucks in my life. It was as if, the whole trucks in India had landed up there, lining up on both sides of the two lanes, traffic at the slowest pace. Only in the middle, there is just enough room to slot for a small hatch. But there were traffics from the opposite side too, and all the hell broke. Sometimes, there are buses in the middle lane, coming from opposite directions, and with no rooms to maneuver, it was a zig-zag drive at 5-6 kmph, with dust and fumes all around. Complete mayhem!! Now I remembered why this was not the recommended route. we waited out, and slowly at snail pace, we made it out of that mine zone to catch NH4-A at Mulem. And it was a big relief. Total time wasted in traveling 50 kms - 3 hrs.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0699.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0703.jpg

However our expectation for a good onward journey from Mulem on NH4A was shortlived. After crossing the Bhagwan Mahaveer national park in the ghats road, road condition deteriorated to a level that, I have to slow to 20-30 kmph average speed, and carefully maneuver the car to avoid bottoming out. And that continued for around 50 kms or so. I had feared, the Michelin PLC would have puncture or incur sidewall cut, because of the soft compound. But luckily, the fear was unfounded and the PLC were truly able to take the abuse.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0706.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0712.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0714.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0716.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0722.jpg

We reached Belgaum finally by 3 pm. Time taken us to travel this odd 120 kms from Margaon to Belgaum = 5 hours. To make up the time, we speed up on NH4 at 140-150 kmph and above whenever we can.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0727.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0731.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0732.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0738.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0745.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0761.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0795.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0806.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0882.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0916.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0929.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0932.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0964.jpg

We reached Pune by 8 PM. Travelled 350 kms from Belgaum to Pune bypass in 4.5 hrs time. We stopped at Domino's pizza in the bypass road, for our dinner. We were hungry, so we took our sweet time. We headed off by 9PM to the bypass to travel around 20 kms further for our night stay at Ginger hotel. To be continued...

Last edited by iTNerd : 18th May 2012 at 10:28.
iTNerd is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 13:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice fast paced travelog, so which was this resort in Goa and can you give the tariff details?

Reading about your waterfall sojourn reminded me the first time we had visited the Avalanche Lake in Ooty, after the initial good roads the condition went bad to worse and with the low floor zen it was a pain maneuvering through the potholes with no soul in sight. But the end reward was pretty good. However, would not advise a visit to a waterfall in KA during summer as these turn into small streams as most are fed via rainwater. The falls may have been the Sathodi Falls which is pretty close to Yellapur on the highway that you were travelling.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 09:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see a Civvy doing a cross country drive.
I am sure this would have been one hell of a drive.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 19th May 2012, 14:02   #8

Nice read, its always heartening to read a travelogue! Even more when it includes Goa
Old 19th May 2012, 18:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very nice read with great snaps too. Remembered all the good time i had on my trip to goa.
Old 19th May 2012, 19:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
On this route, we saw a diversion towards a narrow lane on the right, with a sign board pointing to a waterfall spot. We were already excited because of the drive, but seeing the waterfall marking, we decided to visit it, and took the right diversion and towards the narrow single lane. The first few kms of the lane were OK condition. However, as we drove further, we encountered patholes filled roads and it got worse as we drove deep down. There were no human habitation around, but for a few bus sheds.

Was this the Magod falls or Sathodi? I know for sure that the road to Magod is not good.
As I understand the after you turn towards Magod from the highway, the road after some time becomes really patchy.
Old 19th May 2012, 23:47   #11
BHPian

@iTNerd

I am planning to do a Blr Goa drive next friday night ALONE on my Fiesta Classic. Please suggest the best possible route, nice place for a break etc. Thanks in Advance.
Old 20th May 2012, 01:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

So, after sleeping the night off at Pune, we started off for our next destination - Udaipur in the morning 8.30 AM. On a Shell bunk, decided to fuel and check the tyre pressure, in the Pune bypass. Since it was morning, there was only one attendant who was slightly handicap. He left the fuel meter opened and let the civic drink the fuel it needs. Meanwhile, he said they also perform quick service such engine oil change, coolant topup etc. and he asked to open the bonnet. Though, I assumed nothing is required, I anyway opened the bonnet. To my surprise, when he checked the engine oil level, it was less then even halfway level. I was what.. ! We checked again. It was indeed at low level. I thanked my stars and even more to that guy, who happen to be in the guise of an angel at the right time at the right place. My last service was done on Nov 2011 at Bangalore and have only run around 3000 kms just before the journey. Anyway, we top up 1 litre of shell helix 5w-40. Costed 1200 bucks. Content with the condition of the car, we left for Pune-Mumbai expressway. The drive was bliss, and just took an hour to reach Thane.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0993.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0079.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0080.jpg

From Thane, we headed towards NH8. Last year, when we drove from Delhi to Bangalore, there was work done on widening to 6 lanes, especially in the Surat-Mumbai stretch with lot of diversions and often with standstill traffic. However, the whole stretch is now done smooth 6 lanes. Just one word - Awesome! Fantastic drive, so much, me and my friend were reluctant to let off the steering once we got hold of it..

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0141.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0068.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0142.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0176.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0198.jpg

After stopping at MacDonalds, Vapi for lunch, we were back at the highway. Reached Surat and headed to the Ahmedabad Vadodara Express way or NE 1. This is pretty much a straight line expressway, and we were safely doing 150-160. Traffic was sparse at best.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0300.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0309.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0372.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0521.jpg

Finally by 8 pm, we reached Udaipur. We were a bit lost leading to the Fateh Sagar lake, as that is where we intent to stay. Asked a cop, and he pointed we were at the wrong direction. We were here the last time, a year ago, but as it was dark, was unable to make out the landmark. After 20 mins of hook and crook, we finally manage to locate the particular hotel, we intend to stay - The Hilltop Palace hotel. This is the same hotel, we stayed last time too. And we liked it, so we asked them to give us some deep discount being a returned customer . Rs 2800, with breakfast for a double bedroom, lake facing with AC was the best they could offer us for one day stay (well, it would be only a night stay for us). Tired we were, our bargaining strength didn't put up much fight. Gave the credit card, and off we went to the room. After a quick refreshment, we had dinner at their restaurant.

Next morning, was the sight I had been looking for.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0670.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0795.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0819.jpg

After breakfast, we left Udaipur by 9 AM, for Jaipur.

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0851.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0886.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0921.jpg

My road journey - Bangalore-Goa-Delhi-_dsc0938.jpg

From Jaipur bypass, the traffic slowed down considerably,because of various diversions. In fact, all I can see are road works and expansions from Jaipur to Manesar. What could have been just 3 hrs of travel time, took us 5 hours. By the time we reached Gurgaon, it was already 7 pm. And to greet us our arrival were thousands of cars on the Gurgaon-airport express way... nevertheless, we made our way, to delhi safely, without any incident. Or so, we thought. In Outer ring road (vasant vihar), the traffic condition was such that, we were just a few inches to other cars. Called it concentration lapse or fatigue, somehow, I missed that there was a car on the extreme left, albiet behind. Thinking it is empty, I tried to make my way towards the left, and voila, at the same time, the SX4 on the side rushed to overtake me, and kissed the side flender of my car. I didn't even feel it that much, my friend on the passenger seat told me, someone has hit us. Thought of stopping the car and analyze the damage, but with honks all around for slowing down, we ignored our damage, and let off the offending car and continued to our destination. The damage was just a long scratch on side rear door. Left a dark mark, probably the color of the SX4 bumper. Nevertheless, it put off our mood a bit, because it happened when we were at the finishing line.

So, total distance we had covered so far from Bangalore was 2700 kms. The average mileage was 15.6 kmpl, with 99% AC. Average speed, I guess would have been around 100 kmph. Didn't keep count of the fuel and the toll booth tickets. However, we left bangalore tankful, and we fueled again at hubli, Margoan, Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur. Never did the car complain or let us down in this journey, though, besides the finest roads, it also seen some of the worst patholes filled roads. It is indeed funny to drive the car the next day, in the lanes of Delhi, because, just a few days back, I was driving it at Bangalore. We enjoyed the journey to the core, explored some exotic places and best of all, had the blast of a drive on some of the best roads India has to offer. We loved it, and I am sure, I am going to miss it very soon. I only hope, the roads and facilities get better and it would be even more fun to be driving on this 'Diamond' Quadrilateral. I am already planning on a Delhi-Leh run by August/September this year, but on a car that is made for such terrains. My hunting goes for a SUV to supplement my current ride

Last edited by iTNerd : 20th May 2012 at 01:21.
iTNerd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 01:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. The resort name was 'Longuinhos' at Colva beach. For AC double bedroom, we paid 1200 bucks including breakfast for a day (off-season tariff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice fast paced travelog, so which was this resort in Goa and can you give the tariff details?
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Nice to see a Civvy doing a cross country drive.
I am sure this would have been one hell of a drive.

Thanks for sharing.
This was a long journey with lot of breaks and sight seeing. The civvy only made it all fun and sweeter. Just 3 weeks earlier, it has took us to Wayanad, Kerala for 3 days tour. Paisal vasool on buying the Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghdip View Post
Nice read, its always heartening to read a travelogue! Even more when it includes Goa
Thanks! Goa was special, because, we did it by road, and of course, the petrol was so so cheap, and other things too, which I can't mentioned in this forum.. know what I mean . Had wished, to stay in Goa and simply drive till the petrol price comes to the national level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Very nice read with great snaps too. Remembered all the good time i had on my trip to goa.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Was this the Magod falls or Sathodi? I know for sure that the road to Magod is not good.
As I understand the after you turn towards Magod from the highway, the road after some time becomes really patchy.
Yes, just after a km or so, road became so patchy, and patholes filled. Just 2-3 kms to the road, there is a temple on the right side. Am not sure which water fall is, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
@iTNerd

I am planning to do a Blr Goa drive next friday night ALONE on my Fiesta Classic. Please suggest the best possible route, nice place for a break etc. Thanks in Advance.
Great. Enjoy the journey. From Bangalore, I took Tomkur > NH4 till Hubli. From Hubli, took left towards NH67 > Kalghatgi > yellapur > Ankola > Karwar > margaon > panjim. This route is a bit lengthy than others, but the roads are 99% smooth and wide. So, would take less time to cover. (around 9 hrs).

Last edited by iTNerd : 20th May 2012 at 01:51.
iTNerd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 12:19   #14
BHPian

Thanks. But I see in Gmap that if I take route via Hubli I will be travelling 128 kms more and 2 hrs additional. So why not this route - http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Please suggest.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 20th May 2012 at 12:20.
Old 20th May 2012, 14:46   #15
BHPian

Hi iTNERD,

That was a good fast paced travelogue. I had done the B'lore-Delhi stretch in Feb-March 2010 and its really good to know that the Mumbai-Surat stretch is now complete. There is a B'lore-Ladakh in the planning stage maybe this or the next year, can't wait enough to drive on this route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks