Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 12:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Amazing experience there Deky and an amazing trip we, readers, have had!! Thanks

Waiting for the rest impatiently
The rest coming up soon. I even have some videos that I shall post. Trust me, it only gets better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
This is simply fabulous Deky, what an amazing experience and lovely snaps.

Those eyes are fierce and mean business, no doubt the term - Eye of the Tiger, that is something which is difficult to ignore!

Reading this TL just makes me want to shut down my laptop and run down there. You are indeed very lucky my friend.

Regards,
Yup, luck was indeed on our side that day. Was an awesome wild life experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
AWESOME!!! Super-duper shots. I maintain that The Tiger is the most magnificent animal in the jungle.

I was in Ranthambhore last week and managed to see a tigress in the Qualji region. I guess she's called Meera.

I am planning on going again in May, once the heat increases and the chances of spotting go up.

And thanks for the tiger family tree.

Without the intention of high-jacking your thread, I am posting a picture of Meera.
No hijacking here, would love to have you post more i.e. if you not planning your own thread.

Qualji has two Tigers, the male T-42. He loves to charge at tourists gypsy's and his equally notorious gf T-37. They both are known to have blocked vehicles on tracks by sitting on either side of the vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
same here. with the kind of heat that one should feel there, maybe tiger, deer and all of us will be jumping into the lake with some crocodiles.
Lol, love your fantasy!! But trust me, in the jungle its not that hot. Especially after sunset when the actual movement of the animals take place its rather cool in the jungle. I have spent a night within RTR forest during the last year census and yes the night was kinda cold. Yes it was cold.
Old 5th March 2013, 13:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

07/02/2013 - Afternoon safari...Contd

So once the mother sat down directly opposite us, the cubs started to come to her one by one. I got the opportunity to change back my camera lens to 70-300mm for some closer pics.

Cubs joining their mother

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08945.jpg

Cubs want to play but the mother shoo's them off

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08947.jpg

One cub has had enough of us so he sleeps
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08951.jpg

The fourth joins in
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08952.jpg

Happy family
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08955.jpg

Mother gets up and starts to walk
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08958.jpg

One cub joins her

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08959.jpg

Cubs are really thirsty, need a drink again
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08961.jpg

Ah well I just inverted the reflection :P
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08961a.jpg

All the cubs in a frame
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08962.jpg

The mother sits and all cubs fall in line
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08966.jpg

Is'nt she majestic??
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08967.jpg

Mother and female cub (I think)
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08968.jpg

Once again a family portrait

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08972.jpg

With this T-30's family of 4, T-16 earlier in the evening safari and T-24 in the morning, now we had seen a total of 6 tigers in one day.

This was not the end though

To be contd.........
deky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 16:15   #48
BHPian

Lovely pictures once again. I can only imagine how patient you would have had to be to get these shots!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
No hijacking here, would love to have you post more i.e. if you not planning your own thread.

Qualji has two Tigers, the male T-42. He loves to charge at tourists gypsy's and his equally notorious gf T-37. They both are known to have blocked vehicles on tracks by sitting on either side of the vehicles.
Yes. We were in a gypsy when we saw Meera and our guide and driver mentioned the same thing. Actually, when we saw Meera, we were a convoy of 6 cars and Meera was visibly pissed when she saw all the cars at once. Lucky for us, she chose to ignore all of us and went her own way.

Man, I want to be a TIGER in my next life.
Old 5th March 2013, 16:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Lovely pictures once again. I can only imagine how patient you would have had to be to get these shots!!

Yes. We were in a gypsy when we saw Meera and our guide and driver mentioned the same thing. Actually, when we saw Meera, we were a convoy of 6 cars and Meera was visibly pissed when she saw all the cars at once. Lucky for us, she chose to ignore all of us and went her own way.

Man, I want to be a TIGER in my next life.
Infact it was the opposite, the tigers as you will see in the next post were following us, instead of us following them. It was the juvenile cubs who were in a playfull mood that made the sighting so easy

T-42 male is huge and scary. Following is the video on you tube that happened in the same area (qualji) that you went too.

Last edited by deky : 5th March 2013 at 16:49.
Old 6th March 2013, 12:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

07/02/2013 - Afternoon Safari....contd

So again after sitting down for 5-10 minutes and giving us an opportunity to click loads of family photographs the mother decides to get up and be on the move

Mother gets up
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08977.jpg

Cubs watch their mother leave
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08979.jpg

Its a cue for them to leave too
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08982.jpg

They follow
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08987.jpg

Mother makes sure they are following

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08989.jpg

One needs a drink again

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08992.jpg

The other stretches
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc08994.jpg

We thought that this would be the end of sighting but.....

They collect again
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09001.jpg

and start playing amongst themselves
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09008.jpg

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09010.jpg

We now want to leave the family to themselves and move on, so we start the vehicle and start re tracing our steps back to the main track. Only to realise that the family has taken a short cut and have reached the track before us. These are some seriously curious cubs. Luckily the mother is in a happy mood and lets them investigate all they want

Cubs appearing from the bushes
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09016.jpg

Start to follow the gypsy again
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09018.jpg

They are very close to the vehicle so I change my lens again to 18-70mm

View and distance from our vehicle
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09022.jpg

Marking territory
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09026.jpg

Other cub smelling
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09029.jpg

One cub decides to sit bang in the middle of the road blocking our way. (BTW, The most aggressive tiger T-42 & his mate T-37 in Qualji area are know for sitting on either side of safari vehicles, blocking thier ways. Tourists have known to be stranded there for hours because of this.)
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09032.jpg

Here are the three cubs
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09036.jpg

While the mother keeps an eye on what the kids are doing
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09042.jpg

She sits down peacefully
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09044.jpg

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09048.jpg

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09049.jpg

Finally the cub in the middle of the road gets up
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09046.jpg

Its time for us to move
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09051.jpg

The cubs continue to explore
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09052.jpg

We continue on the track and the cubs continue to follow for some time but then go in the bushes
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09053.jpg

We head off for about 100 mtrs and decide to stop at a dry river bed as we are still curious if the cubs will follow us or no?

A video of this sequence that we had shot. Note:- This video has been shot by my friend Anshu Pareekh and I am posting it here with his consent

To be contd......

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th March 2013 at 07:57. Reason: Fixing Youtube link
deky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 16:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

07/02/2013 - Afternoon safari Contd

So we come out and wait in the river bed for something to happen. We dont have to wait for long.

We see one cub sitting right on the track behind us
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09056.jpg

We look around and notice the other cub coming out of the bushes
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09057.jpg

Once the first cub see's the 2nd cub walking he starts to walk towards us too
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09059.jpg

He walks straight towards us
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09061.jpg

Both the cubs
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09063.jpg

One of them comes to about 5 feet of the gypsy
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09066.jpg

And walks past it
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09067.jpg

The whole family is in the river bed now
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09068.jpg

The mother is always behind, keeping an eye
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09069.jpg

Here is a video of them coming to the river bed. Again this video has been shot by my friend Mr. Anshu Pareekh. Notice how close they come to us in the gypsy. Btw the guy in the blue sweater over who's shoulder the video is shot is me.

Suddenly we realise that something has caught the attention of two of the cubs. We see its a huge male blue bull that is grazing in the dried up grass. The two cubs slowly start to stalk the huge deer. We wait in anticipation, but we also know nothing will happen as the prey is much bigger than the predator. Also the fact that these cubs are novice in hunting skills and the mother is not interested at hints at no kill. Yet the sequence that unfolds and the thrill that comes in watching these episodes live is a great wild life experience

Cubs stalking
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09075.jpg

One of my friends with me Mr. Anshu Pareekh managed to shoot the stalking video. I am posting this video with his permission. Play it with speakers on so that you can also listen to the thrill we underwent that time. Notice how the tigers crouch when they about to pounce on the animal

To be contd........

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th March 2013 at 07:58. Reason: Fixing Youtube link.
deky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 18:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Exciting video of the two cubs stalking the Neelgai. The video is quite shaky. Was the jeep moving?
Old 7th March 2013, 22:57   #53
BHPian

Simply awesome!!! Deky Thanks for sharing
Old 8th March 2013, 11:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Exciting video of the two cubs stalking the Neelgai. The video is quite shaky. Was the jeep moving?
No the jeep was stationary. Infact we were stationary there for almost 30 minutes. I think the sahking could be for two reasons, 1st being because of full zoom and the second being that there were total 7 of us in the gypsy (including driver) and jostling for space for good view and pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesh View Post
Simply awesome!!! Deky Thanks for sharing
Thanks buddy!!
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 12:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

07/02/13 - Afternoon safari contd

There was lots of action that was happening for the last 1.5 hrs or so, cubs were following us, cubs were playing, cubs were chasing other animals etc etc. We were enjoying every minute of it as it was a matter of chance that through out all this we were the only gypsy in the area. This definitely gave us lots of free space to move. Also the fact that the tigers were in the open was a big bonus.

Then something happened which made me respect our National Animal a lot more. This is about family discipline!!

While 2 cubs had gone to chase a blue bull, one cub had disappeared in the bushes. Mother was left alone sitting in the river bed. After a while the mother looked visibly upset as her cubs had gone for more than 10 minutes and she could not see them from where she was. Suddenly, she lets out a blood curling roar, and what happened in the next couple of minutes was amazing. First cub appears and goes straight to the mother and greets or maybe apologises to her and sits down, 2nd & the 3rd cub appear and follow the same routine. One roar and the family is together. Speaks volume about the mother instinct of a Tigress and the discipline of her almost sub adult cubs.

With the cubs fooling around the mother was left alone
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09081.jpg

She looks to the left for them
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09082.jpg

She looks to the right
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09083.jpg

Looks at us
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09084.jpg

And lets out a roar that echoes through the valley
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09085.jpg

One cub appears through the bushes
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09091.jpg

Mother is happy now
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09092.jpg

Cub greets her and sits down
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09094.jpg

The 2nd cub appears and greets the mother as if to mark his attendance
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09097.jpg

As the 2nd cub sits the 3rd appears too
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09100.jpg

Marks its attendance with his mother
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09101.jpg

The family rests
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09109.jpg

Portrait of a family
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09113.jpg

The cubs are tired and want to rest
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09116.jpg

The mother is always attentive
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09117.jpg

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09118.jpg

The cubs have had enough of excitement for the day and decide to sleep
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc09120.jpg

With the family united and resting peacefully we decided it was time for us to leave. We also have had enough excitement for the day and couldnt have asked for anything more. Seeing 6 different tigers in a day was no ordinary thing and now we could return back on a high.

Suddenly the day got only better as we spotted a sloth bear in the bushes. But as we reversed the gypsy it ran away, so could not take any pic. It was more special for me as in all my trips to Ranthambhore it was my first ever sighting of a bear.

We came out of the park, picked our cars and headed straight for Jaipur. Needless to say, though we were very tired but we were a very happy bunch in the car due to the days happenings.

THE END of this Ranthambhore trip!!
deky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 11:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

A great picturesque travelogue. I was wishing it would not end...! Four-four tigers at a place and frolicking and your's was the only gypsy around. Some people have all the luck it seems..

Last edited by gd1418 : 10th March 2013 at 11:58.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 17:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
07/02/13 - Afternoon safari contd

We came out of the park, picked our cars and headed straight for Jaipur. Needless to say, though we were very tired but we were a very happy bunch in the car due to the days happenings.

THE END of this Ranthambhore trip!!
Hi Deky,

Congrats on a great travelogue and great pics. Since I don't know you I can just say congrats on your amazing luck. If I knew you better I would curse you

Cheers!
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 13:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

What a beautiful day you had Deky!! Excellent photo story
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 21:49   #59

Greetings, Mr.Deky! I love your travelogues a lot! This one was especially good May i ask a question - how does one volunteer for this census? I've always wanted to participate in one myself, is that possible?
Old 8th December 2013, 16:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.U.P View Post
Greetings, Mr.Deky! I love your travelogues a lot! This one was especially good May i ask a question - how does one volunteer for this census? I've always wanted to participate in one myself, is that possible?
Thank you and Yes it is possible to take part in the census. Next time send an application to the field directors office showing your interest to volunteer in the census. The census takes place every year on the full moon night of May.

A Quick Trip To Ranthambhore - 05/12/2013

My friends had gone to ranthambhore on 04/12/2013. They were coaxing me to accompany them but due to some prior commitments I was not able to. They did the evening safari on 04/12/2013 but did not sight any of the big cats. In the evening they called me again to ask if I wanted to come but I reluctantly refused again . The problem with being in love with the jungle is that the heart always wins over the mind. Deep in my heart I wanted to go but my mind kept saying No, eventually before I retired for the night I had decided to reach Ranthambhore by early morning on 05/12/2013 and do a morning safari followed by an evening safari and return home the same evening.

Ranthambhore is just about 150 kms or 2.5 hrs drive from Jaipur. The morning safari starts at 0700 hrs so leaving Jaipur by 0400 hrs gives you enough time to reach in time for the safari. Yet I started at 0330 hrs. This was because of the excitement and also considering the fact that I was driving alone so I wanted to go slow. By 0600 hrs I had reached the hotel my friends were staying at.

Morning safari started at 0700 hrs and we were in Zone 5. Since we were early our's was one of the first gypsies to enter the zone. I feel it really pay's to be first in because if there is a tiger siting then you get to chose your point and watch the tiger in peace.

That is exactly what happened. No sooner we had entered within 15 minutes (at Gular kui) we saw a huge male tiger sitting about 15 feet away from us on our right. Luckily he wasnt any closer because if he was I wouldnt have been able to get him completely in my frame. This tiger was identified as 2.5 yrs old T64 or the male cub of T19
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02780.jpg

We realised that the tiger was pretty restless. This was not because of our presence but because of something else. He was twitching his body and was looking all around nervously. Within 2 minutes the tiger got up and came right in front of us. Here also he was not acting like a confident tiger but smelling here and there.
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02786.jpg

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02787.jpg

Actually, this is not his regular territory, but because he is reaching adulthood he wanders off from his regular area in search of making some area as his own. This behavior with sub adults is quite common. They get nervous in roaming around as the other resident tigers might confront them and this could get pretty bloody.

Slowly and gingerly he started walking on the track in front of our gypsy.
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02788.jpg

But all of a sudden he left the track and went towards our left towards a small water stream
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02790.jpg

This gave us an opportunity to go ahead of him so that if he comes back on the track again he would start to follow us and we could get the front view.
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02791.jpg

After smelling a few trees he definitely did come back on the track and was showing interest in one particular tree
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02800.jpg

When tigers (and some other animals) smell the presence of other tigers in the vicinity they curl up their lips and appear to grin. But this behavior is called Flehmen response
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02803.jpg

He kept smelling the tree for some time as another tiger must have had marked his territory there
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02806a.jpg

Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02807.jpg

Finally he decided to come back on the track and now he was right behind our gypsy
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02809.jpg

By then other vehicles had also arrived on the scene
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02813.jpg

Suddenly we heard some alarm calls coming from behind the other vehicles. This meant that there was another tiger not very far. T64 must have also realised this and he left the track and went back inside the bushes
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02819.jpg

The alarm calls didnt stop so that meant that the other tiger was still on the move and 64 was also now scurrying for cover. Being young he definitely wanted to avoid any confrontation.
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02820.jpg

Then suddenly from behind we hear a blood curling roar of the other tiger that was following T64. This tiger was identified as T28. Actually he is the father of 64 but once tigers reach adulthood the parents start to drive them away from the territories.

We saw T28 emerging from the bushes. Though we never got a clear sighting of him but the thrill to hear him roar and to experience their behavior was interesting
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02824.jpg

By now both the tigers has climbed up the hill playing the game of hide and seek so it was very unlikely that they would surface again. So we left them there and moved forward. At Tambakhan we saw another couple of gypsy's standing and all the passengers were out with their cameras. This indicated a sighting of another tiger. Yes there was one but the tiger was deep inside the bushes and capturing it even with a 300 mm zoom was impossible. I still took some pictures and after processing them heavily, this was the result.
Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....-dsc02827.jpg

We saw the pics of her on someones camera when she had crossed the road before hiding in the bushes and she was identified as T19. She is the mother of the cub we had just seen.

We decided to leave her there and it was highly unlikely that she would come out and went ahead. We went till Kachida and returned back to our hotel the same route. Thus ending our morning safari.

In the morning safari this was the only area sighting had happened and all the other vehicles not in the zone returned empty handed.

EVENING SAFARI!!!

No sighting whats so ever anywhere in the park in the evening, so we also returned empty handed. As soon as I came out of the park I took my car and returned back home to Jaipur ending another memorable trip to Ranthambhore.
deky is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks