Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 14:44   #16
lsp
BHPian

Re: A weekend in Alappuzha

I did my trip with my training batchmates way back in 2003. 15 of us young souls took a day trip from Allepey to Kollam. It was a 2 bedroom boat and I think the cost was 4500/- which came out to Rs 300 per head.

Had a ball on the boat. I even managed to catch 40 winks in the mid afternoon. Most of the time we were all on the front portion of the boat which had an ample seating area. It was just 'liquid refreshments', snacks and bakar (bakwaas/nonsense talks) all day long with friends.

We did stop somewhere in between and alighted the boat to have lunch at some restaurant. One of the stretched was just water all around. No land to be seen. Sorry dont remember any names of places as it was almost 9 years ago.

Towards the end of the boat there was a plank fitted to the outer side of the boat. If you sat on that plank then your feet would be dangling in the backwaters. My fav spot. But only 2 could sit on the plank at a time.

Let me check for the pics from that era, when I used to have a Kodak KB10 camera.
Old 26th May 2012, 17:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Well, even some of the existing boats have an upper deck and a lower deck, if that is what you call a double-decker!
There is a new service inaugurated last year. I will find out this about the current status and rates this July. Websites can not be trusted when it comes to govt services.
Old 26th May 2012, 19:40   #18
BHPian

Nice one again Romins. Really liked the silhoutte pic. So, July/Aug would be the ideal time to visit? Please do post more pics.

Last edited by aviorp : 26th May 2012 at 19:41.
Old 28th May 2012, 14:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Well, even some of the existing boats have an upper deck and a lower deck, if that is what you call a double-decker!
Thanks kumar, have seen lot of double decker beauties in the backwaters. Differentiator for KSRTC is the cost, guess it is priced close to the normal KSRTC boats and the travelers can catch a good view from the deck
Old 4th August 2012, 02:23   #20
BHPian

Had been to Alappuzha on my honeymoon trip! Awesome place, enjoyed every bit of it. Great food, super scenery and the chilled out house boat ride! Planning to go to god's own country soon.
Old 4th August 2012, 09:18   #21
BHPian

Miss my hometown (Alappuzha) a lot especially in the hustle and bustle of Delhi. Had done the houseboat ride around 5 years back, it is an enthralling experience, especially the evenings when the boat is parked and you have the nature to yourself, everyone should do this at least once in a lifetime. This is a perfect trip for honeymooners, no one to disturb or nothing to get distracted except the nature.
Old 1st September 2014, 20:06   #22
BHPian

Did a one day houseboat in spiceroutes Ginger,Alleppey and spent a day at Kondailip resorts in Ezhupunna this weekend. Enjoyed every bit of it with intermittent showers. Particularly the food they serve in the boat is outstanding. Planning to pen a detailed travelogue with photos soon.
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes, please do put up a detailed travelogue here of your experience with photos.
If that would take long, it would not be bad to put up a short summary of the experience here with a couple snaps.
Old 14th September 2014, 18:22   #24
BHPian

Will be in Palakkad this month-end on a short vacation and plan to do a day time cruise on the backwaters. Request clarity on these:
. where should i head to - alappuzha or kumarakom?
. if its going to be alappuzha, i plan to take an early morning palakkad-alappuzha train, do the cruise and return by a night train from alappuzha to palakkad? is this do-able?
. where do i head to from alappuzha train/bus station to catch a houseboat? or is it better to arrange the houseboat before hand?
. we will be 4 adults +2 kids. What will be approx cost for a day cuise?

Thanks!
Old 7th August 2016, 15:04   #25

hi there, can anyone tell if water sports are available in allepey/cochin? If yes, what activities are available and how to reserve them?
Old 6th June 2018, 16:14   #26
BHPian

Can someone provide some information on how to watch nehru boat race.
VIP passes looks very expensive ( Rs 2000 - 3000 per person)?

I have booked Ramada, Alleppey and hoping that I will be able to see race from hotel but I am not sure.
Old 6th June 2018, 16:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I have booked Ramada, Alleppey and hoping that I will be able to see race from hotel but I am not sure.
You can, as the property is close to finishing point (some 400 mts from finishing point, approx). If you take a gallery pass, the view would be more closer and clearer. No one can see the entire race by sitting at a point, as the track length is 1.4 km approx.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 17:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Can someone provide some information on how to watch nehru boat race.
VIP passes looks very expensive ( Rs 2000 - 3000 per person)?

I watched the race last year from Ramada too. As @JohnnyBoss has mentioned Ramada is close to the finishing point. You are not at the actual finishing line so your view of the boats crossing the line is from a bit behind. You can make out the winners as the oarsmen raise their oars as they cross. If you carry a pair of binoculars you can get a close view of the stadium, VIPs, the mast and finishing line. Even so, you'll be at a point where teams pick up pace and make their overtaking moves which is exciting to watch.

Ramada arranges two galleries
- a VIP gallery at the ground floor by the lake front which provides the closest view of action. The tickets are given on a first come first serve basis so you need to collect them as soon as you can from the reception on the race day. I didn't find the process to be well organised last year. You need to get seats in the front row to have a good view. Though it is called the VIP gallery, there would be reasonable crowding with everyone there trying to come towards the front to view the action.
- they also arrange a roof top gallery (costs lesser if I recollect) that gives a more panoramic view of action. You can see the starting point to the far far left (through a good zoom lens or binoculars) and see a more wide angle view of finishing action to the right.

I enjoyed the experience overall and wish you the same too.
Mnjdnght is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 12:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Ramada arranges two galleries
- a VIP gallery at the ground floor by the lake front which provides the closest view of action.
so I have two options. Either take VIP gallery pass at Ramada or buy VIP pass from Govt office/site for view with public. Prices are similar about Rs 3000 per person.
Which one will provide better view? which one should I choose?
I guess hotel gallery will be be more comfortable.
Old 11th June 2018, 13:35   #30
BHPian

I have been to Alleyppey couple of times, and enjoyed both the trips.

The 1st time was a run-of-the-mill houseboat trip with an entire day on a reasonably comfortable houseboat, and exceptional food. Good as it was, I felt the novelty factor slowly wear off and 1 full day was pushing it a bit.

The 2nd time, I tried a different approach. Instead of full day, I only took a 2 hour trip through the backwaters on a smallish shikara which refreshed my memories, gave some time to enjoy scenic beauty and was cost-effective as well. After that, I retired to the beautiful Marari beach nearby to relax. Stayed at the Abad Turtle Beach resort, where I chilled the remaining 1 day, alternating between the private beach and the clean pool. The food was very good, and there were some unique things to do inside the resort(butterfly garden, fishing pool etc), which ensured we had a great time.

If I had to go again, I would prefer the 2nd itinerary now.

Last edited by Caffeinated : 11th June 2018 at 13:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks