Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 11:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Malnad Odyssey - Scenic Drives through the Western Ghats in Karnataka

raghunandan a soothing thread in a long time even before the start of the monsoons. I have been scrolling up and down the page and have already done it a few times. The pictures truly portray the beauty of the malnad region during the monsoons. One can never have enough of the Malnad during the monsoons, it keeps calling you back time and again.

I have done so many trips over the years to Agumbe and back to bangalore with only 2 days on the cards. All this only to experience the sheer feeling nature gives you while driving through these places.

Good one man. Thanks for putting it up.
rjstyles69 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 13:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
awesome...had a quesiton , are these photos raw or did you 'touch' the photos before uploading ??
Hi mazda4life,

They are not touched-up. They are HDR pictures, which have two shots with high and low exposures and merged into a single picture. Probably this is the closest a camera can come to what the eye can see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
raghunandan a soothing thread in a long time even before the start of the monsoons. I have been scrolling up and down the page and have already done it a few times. The pictures truly portray the beauty of the malnad region during the monsoons. One can never have enough of the Malnad during the monsoons, it keeps calling you back time and again.

I have done so many trips over the years to Agumbe and back to bangalore with only 2 days on the cards. All this only to experience the sheer feeling nature gives you while driving through these places.

Good one man. Thanks for putting it up.
Thanks rjstyle69,

Next time around, so the SH-50 that snakes through Sharavathi valley behind Jog Falls and goes down all the way to Bhatkal...another memorable one to the kitty !

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th May 2012 at 23:39. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time.
raghunandanj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:59   #18
BHPian

Excellent Photos Raghu; Good to see the beast roaring on team-bhp now; hope to see some more travelogues..,keep 'em coming.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Hi mazda4life,

They are not touched-up. They are HDR pictures, which have two shots with high and low exposures and merged into a single picture. Probably this is the closest a camera can come to what the eye can see...
Dear Sir, thanks for the info. The natural light in Malnad during the monsoon season as the sunlight diffuses through the clouds over varying densities is something to die for.
Old 26th May 2012, 20:36   #20
BHPian

Absolutely breathtaking pictures, raghunandanj. The recent rains seem to have unleashed the beauty of the malnad and fittingly you unleashing your beast. Please do post any more pics if you may have and would love to see jog it its full glory. Rated a well deserved 5*
Old 1st June 2012, 13:40   #21
BANNED

I hail from this place. This Western ghats (Sahyadri belt) is amazingly scenic. These photos reminded me of my last week's trip to Horanandu, Sringeri, Shankaranarayana, Anegudde, Malpe, Thirthahalli.

Some photos with road reminded me of the sprint from Manipal to Thirthahalli through Augmbe ghat. Total distance of 81 KM covered in 1 h 45 min. Amazing place to drive
Old 1st June 2012, 20:08   #22
BHPian

Great Thread.

Reminds me of the 2 trips I did in that area before becoming a member of T-BHP. Will now berstir myself to post some photos!

Last edited by sridhar-v : 1st June 2012 at 20:09. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pictures and the trip log, I agree, this literally drags you on the road. I have plan to spend a few days in Agumbe in July but also want to travel with family around these routes. I remember the wonderful Charmadi ghat that I took a couple years back while my trip to Udupi.
A great, inspiring thread and pictures, thanks for sharing and keep it up.
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Superb set of pictures Raghu!!! I have been to most of the places shown in your pictures and still I feel the need to go back there. Thanks for posting these stunning pics. Now that this year's monsoon is coming up, the ghats are going to be transformed into an even more beautiful place.
Old 2nd June 2012, 19:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice Pics. Since my childhood days i used to travel often through Charmadi ghat. At that time never realized the beauty. I used to fear a lot driving in these ghats those days. Be it the torrential rain, near zero road visibility due to the fog or those hairpin bends.
Now its been quite a time i been through this route and miss a lot. This has to be one of those place for breath taking scenic drives.

The Charmadi ghat road looks to be in good shape, How is the road from Charmadi to Ujire and Mudigere to Kottigehara?
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:09   #26
BHPian

awesome pics raghunandnaj. now i need to visit this place!

also looking at your suv, the mighty tata safari, it has further convinced me that suv is the way to go! so you can make such road trips and enjoy the beauty of nature and as they say.. make your own road!
Old 7th June 2012, 09:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Next time around, so the SH-50 that snakes through Sharavathi valley behind Jog Falls and goes down all the way to
Bhatkal...another memorable one to the kitty !

Just wanted to know, of through this SH50, one can also take the diversion and drive to Kollur. I have heard about it
being a biking trail. Has any driven on that stretch?

Very nice snaps there! No adjectives left. Rest have already used them!
Old 7th June 2012, 10:39   #28
BHPian

What a travelogue!!! The region is utterly beautiful! And amazingly photography as well.

When did u do this trip Raghunanda? Monsoons have started so now the best time to visit begins i guess!
Old 8th June 2012, 16:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Nice Pics. Since my childhood days i used to travel often through Charmadi ghat. At that time never realized the beauty. I used to fear a lot driving in these ghats those days. Be it the torrential rain, near zero road visibility due to the fog or those hairpin bends.
Now its been quite a time i been through this route and miss a lot. This has to be one of those place for breath taking scenic drives.

The Charmadi ghat road looks to be in good shape, How is the road from Charmadi to Ujire and Mudigere to Kottigehara?
The road is not too bad at all, though there are some vicious pot-holes at the hairpin bends that may suck your wheel in, especially if filled with water..otherwise its a fairly good one !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just wanted to know, of through this SH50, one can also take the diversion and drive to Kollur. I have heard about it
being a biking trail. Has any driven on that stretch?

Very nice snaps there! No adjectives left. Rest have already used them!
Yes, I have driven on that stretch, but it is easy to lose your way. SH-50 descends down to Bhatkal, so you need to deviate across to the east before a place called Nagavalli and follow directions to Nagara. That road links up to the Kollur road near Kodachadri. However, it is in failry poor shape, with potholes that can be dangerous to bikers in the rain.
raghunandanj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 11:34   #30
BHPian

Planning to drive to Sringeri Horanadu and Thirthahalli this weekend

1) Is it safe to drive during the monsoons ?
2) What are the best stay options in Sringeri or Chikmaglur ?
3) Can a Ford Fiesta take on these roads ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks