Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 15:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tadoba Tiger Reserve visit - May 2012

@ W.A.G.7: Fabulous pictures, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I have the RAW files though, so I will try my hand at photoshop/ white balance correction.
Let me know if you need help. I can contribute with my limited skills.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 19:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
To be honest (and a bit blunt), I dont really care about the humans.
We go to their sanctuaries and intrude upon their areas which we have reserved for them. In what sense can we then call them wild animals; in a few generations they will be like the penguins of Madagascar - smiling for cameras. hence I feel such sanctuary visits should be regulated before all hell breaks loose. maybe all visitors should be asked to do mandatory volunteer work under supervision in/ around the sanctuary.

My opinion is a bit strong, so I can understand if you/ others disagree.
Anything else I add will be OT. Perhaps even this post is; let the mods decide.
I respect your thought and logically speaking it makes perfect sense. But I have a slightly different opinion and perhaps some others might agree. I will keep it very short since it can go very much OT. Given that wildlife tourism exists, it is a major source of revenue, specially in states like MP who charge very exorbitant rates. A majority of that revenue generated is used to spend in the upkeep of the forests, paying salaries for the staff, maintenance, relocation compensation, etc. If it becomes extremely difficult to enter these forests then revenue earned decreases which then impacts negatively to the forest upkeep and maintenance. I fully agree that tourists should be fully sensitized and penalized when needed but then completely shutting them out or discouraging them too much can kill the golden goose. Maybe there is a balance we can strike somewhere. It is interesting and as our population increases there will be more and more human-animal conflict, accidental or on purpose, and to solve that problem specially in accidental cases, there would be limits to which we can ask humans to relocate to make space for animals. We will simply run out of options and in that case humans will get first preference over animals. I apologize if this offends you or anybody else but sadly that is the natural order of things in this world with humans at the top of the food chain currently. Just to be clear my love for wildlife is no less than any person here.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 7th June 2012 at 19:50.
samarjitdhar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 20:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

This is but a big +1 to what you said Samar. Wildlife tourism is important for the survival of the wildlife. This is a vast area subject to intense debate. Let us all not go into this.

I too subscribe to Samar's last line (in bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post

I respect your thought and logically speaking it makes perfect sense. But I have a slightly different opinion and perhaps some others might agree. I will keep it very short since it can go very much OT. Given that wildlife tourism exists, it is a major source of revenue, specially in states like MP who charge very exorbitant rates. A majority of that revenue generated is used to spend in the upkeep of the forests, paying salaries for the staff, maintenance, relocation compensation, etc. If it becomes extremely difficult to enter these forests then revenue earned decreases which then impacts negatively to the forest upkeep and maintenance. I fully agree that tourists should be fully sensitized and penalized when needed but then completely shutting them out or discouraging them too much can kill the golden goose. Maybe there is a balance we can strike somewhere. It is interesting and as our population increases there will be more and more human-animal conflict, accidental or on purpose, and to solve that problem specially in accidental cases, there would be limits to which we can ask humans to relocate to make space for animals. We will simply run out of options and in that case humans will get first preference over animals. I apologize if this offends you or anybody else but sadly that is the natural order of things in this world with humans at the top of the food chain currently. Just to be clear my love for wildlife is no less than any person here.
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
+1 to this. The tourists are a constant source of information and also act as deterrent to any miscreants. And hence tourists form a very important part of the puzzle.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 00:14   #50
BHPian

Lovely TL on Tadoba W.A.G.7. I am in awe of the snaps of the tigers, birds and flowers! Rated Five star.
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 11:41   #51
BHPian

WAG7,
This sure is a lottery of tigers !!!!
Wow what an amazing animal and too bad that they continue to get targetted by evil minds
srikrishna717 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 14:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
To be honest (and a bit blunt), I dont really care about the humans. We go to their sanctuaries and intrude upon their areas which we have reserved for them.
Well, you are not really going blunt, you have put a forward a valid point. We are all intruding on their space knowingly or unknowingly. The situation is even worse in Kanha N.P or Bandhavgadh N.P where they issue daily permits for 100 or so vehicles. At the gates, there is total chaos and traffic jam.

More than tigers, it is the leopards which are getting killed in man-animal conflicts near the outskirts of the forests. Many satellite towns have sprung up or human development has occured in the areas, that actually belonged to wild animals previously. This results in many man-animal conflicts.

If possible please do try and do your bit to save the Indian forests/wildlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
This is but a big +1 to what you said Samar. Wildlife tourism is important for the survival of the wildlife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
+1 to this. The tourists are a constant source of information and also act as deterrent to any miscreants. And hence tourists form a very important part of the puzzle.
What Samar, GD and Sach.sri have said here is very true. Tourists are an important part of the puzzle. More the number of tourists, there are more eyes watching for any kind of mischief. It is in the rainy seasons that maximum poaching cases happen. Since all tourists are gone from the area, miscreants get a free hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Lovely TL on Tadoba W.A.G.7. I am in awe of the snaps of the tigers, birds and flowers! Rated Five star.
Regards,Ashok
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
WAG7,This sure is a lottery of tigers !!!!
Wow what an amazing animal and too bad that they continue to get targetted by evil minds
Thanks Ashok & Srikrishna. Glad that you enjoyed it. Do read the epilogue at the end and please contribute your bit for the depleting environment in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Let me know if you need help. I can contribute with my limited skills.
Thanks for the offer, I would definitely let you know, I am still learning to do post-processing.
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 14:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hello W.A.G.7,

I sincerely apologize to hijack your wonderful thread, but I read this blog & my heart moved after seeing the killed Tigers photograph there. This was somewhere in Vidharbha last week:

Tadoba Tiger Reserve visit - May 2012-poaching.jpg

Full article here: Losing our Indian identities - The Tiger & The Maharaja : Sharmila Ravinder's blog-The Times Of India

How can someone kill such magnificient animals & just for information there are just 3200 Tigers remaining all over the world.

Frankly I have nothing more to say as my heart is really filled.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 12th June 2012 at 14:33. Reason: Information addded
Old 14th June 2012, 14:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello W.A.G.7,

I sincerely apologize to hijack your wonderful thread, but I read this blog & my heart moved after seeing the killed Tigers photograph there. This was somewhere in Vidharbha last week:

Full article here: Losing our Indian identities - The Tiger & The Maharaja : Sharmila Ravinder's blog-The Times Of India

How can someone kill such magnificient animals & just for information there are just 3200 Tigers remaining all over the world.

Frankly I have nothing more to say as my heart is really filled.

Thanks,
That's real sad. I think it happened in the week before we went to Tadoba on 23rd May. You really feel sad and helpless about the way they are being systematically eliminated. That's why in the epilogue I have appealed to everyone to do a little bit to save our national animal.
Old 14th June 2012, 19:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to add the approximate location of the Kolara gate. So here's a screen capture of google maps. Once again, please do take time to read Jignesh's post above. It's the sad but true reality. Thanks Jignesh, for pointing it out to everyone.

Tadoba Tiger Reserve visit - May 2012-map.jpg
Old 21st November 2012, 10:54   #56
BHPian

Fantastic pictures WAG. I think you had a good coverage in the given time constraint - total 3:30 hours. Which part of the day did you visit the reserve?
Old 25th November 2012, 12:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I am restless person when it comes to photography. I have to go to a wildlife sanctuary at-least once a year. Otherwise I cannot concentrate on anything. This year I decided to go to Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve.

I have already been to Bandhavgadh, Ranthambhore, Kanha and Gir forests;
Hi Ketan enjoyed your commentary and photos. Out of the various places you have visited, where would you say is the most likely tiger sighting to be had. Also is it easier sighting tigers in summer as compared to winter?
Old 29th November 2012, 22:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman View Post
Fantastic pictures WAG. I think you had a good coverage in the given time constraint - total 3:30 hours. Which part of the day did you visit the reserve?
Thanks. We visited in the morning between 5.30am to 10.00pm and in the afternoon from 3.30pm to 6.30pm. The time is limited but you have ample sightings of birds and animals. For the special permits lasting the entire day or so, you need to either have clout or money or both in abundance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Hi Ketan enjoyed your commentary and photos. Out of the various places you have visited, where would you say is the most likely tiger sighting to be had. Also is it easier sighting tigers in summer as compared to winter?
Thanks! Most chance would be the Pandherpauni waterhole and also the tank no 2 on the tar road. That's where we had the maximum sighting. And yes, it's easier to spot tigers in summer than in winter.
Old 29th November 2012, 23:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Most chance would be the Pandherpauni waterhole and also the tank no 2 on the tar road. That's where we had the maximum sighting. And yes, it's easier to spot tigers in summer than in winter.
Thanks Ketan for the tip. Amongst Tadoba, Kanha, Bhandavgarh and other places, which one do you recommend for the highest likelihood of a tiger sighting?
Old 30th November 2012, 21:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

@ Heavy Horse: Well, Tadoba was rocking this year. Last year I was in Kanha, Bandhavgarh and Pench in June. Saw a few tigers. This year in Tadoba I saw 14 unique tigers in 5 safaris.

In Summer, Tadoba seems to be a great bet - due to its lack of water and increasing number of tigers. Ideally, you should be on the lookout for trip reports from the renowned sanctuaries - and then know which sanctuary the gods are favouring that year. And then visit asap, being prepared to swelter in 45 degrees of heat, if you want to have great sightings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks