Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 01:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A memorable trip to Los Angeles, Vegas and Death Valley

Concluding the trip, we returned to Sacramento 7 hours later having covered 2000 miles in a loop.

I averaged 23.1 mpg in G35 Sedan. The average included freeway runs at 80+ mph and city driving in LA and Vegas. My last trip in similar loop yielded 28 mpg in 99 Camry. Either ways, i was very happy with the way both cars behaved. G35 was better in the way it handled all the curves otherwise both were comfortable mile munchers.

I hope you guys enjoyed the Photolog and should you guys have any questions or need any full size image, feel free to ask for it.

Thank you
chevelle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 17:17   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11th July 2012, 23:33   #18
BHPian

Very nice. Although summer is probably the worst time to go to Death Valley due to the heat. If you haven't so far, try sometime during Thanksgiving or Christmas. You can take a long walk in the bad water or hike in the Sand Dunes during the golden hour. Also do not miss "Racetracks", it is really a mystery place !!
Old 12th July 2012, 04:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Very nice. Although summer is probably the worst time to go to Death Valley due to the heat. If you haven't so far, try sometime during Thanksgiving or Christmas. You can take a long walk in the bad water or hike in the Sand Dunes during the golden hour. Also do not miss "Racetracks", it is really a mystery place !!
Thanks for the info. We knew it would be very hot but then we had to go to experience it. It was fun though.

I am sure it must be wonderful in winter and especially during sunrise and sunset.

There were many spots which we didn't go because to reach those places, the roads were not paved and even though a car would have been good enough, didn't want any unwanted trouble that could have us stranded for hours. I am sure a high clearance vehicle would be fun. I guess in order to reach The Race Track one has to go through 27 miles of rough road which we thought would be a little risky and we were exhausted after 5-6 stops.

We will of course visit again and hope to go in a 4x4 or something so that we can go off road more.

Last edited by chevelle : 12th July 2012 at 04:16.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:09   #20
BHPian

very nice pictures! are they all taken with Sony T90?

drive from Vegas to LA in the evening is quite an experience (among the amazing sun set experiences i have had); try it sometime. i will try to find the picture and share.
Old 12th July 2012, 21:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
very nice pictures! are they all taken with Sony T90?

drive from Vegas to LA in the evening is quite an experience (among the amazing sun set experiences i have had); try it sometime. i will try to find the picture and share.
Thank you. Most of the pics are taken with Sony H50. The one's clicked from inside the car and on Rodeo Drive are with T90.

The last time we went, it was in the evening. It was awesome too. Not many photos of then because i was half asleep.

Last edited by chevelle : 12th July 2012 at 21:28.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:35   #22
BHPian

Great pictures of LV and Death Valley. LV is such a dreamy place and you can forget the world there
Did you guys experience the Worlds highest thrill ride in Stratosphere in LV?
Truely breath taking ride!
Old 13th July 2012, 17:13   #23
BHPian

Excellent photos and narration chevelle. Mental note to myself to visit these places one day.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
Great pictures of LV and Death Valley. LV is such a dreamy place and you can forget the world there
Did you guys experience the Worlds highest thrill ride in Stratosphere in LV?
Truely breath taking ride!
Thank you. LV is indeed a dreamy place. As they say, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. I agree wholeheartedly. There are somethings which can't happen anywhere else but in Vegas. I am not sure if its the place or the atmosphere.

The rides at stratosphere are a must-do. I have experienced it but don't have any pics to share.

Important note about Stratosphere is, if you stay there, you get free access to the rides and top. If not, its ~$30 for both. If you book in advance, you can get rooms and sometimes suites in Stratosphere for as low as $30/nite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Excellent photos and narration chevelle. Mental note to myself to visit these places one day.
Thank you. Please do, it will be a trip to remember.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:41   #25
BHPian

Chevelle,

Excellent photos and reports. I know where I am going in the next long weekend :-)

Thanks
Raneesh
Old 15th July 2012, 12:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I guess in order to reach The Race Track one has to go through 27 miles of rough road which we thought would be a little risky .
Completely agreed. It should not be attempted without a 4x4, because if you get stuck help is very far away if at all and especially during the summer.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneeshvijayan View Post
Chevelle,

Excellent photos and reports. I know where I am going in the next long weekend :-)

Thanks
Raneesh
Thank you. September long weekend will be one of the toughest ones. I went to LV last year at same time and it was horrible at 110 degrees. I assume DVNP will be more or less same but more intense due to its surrounding. Winter would be a good time to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Completely agreed. It should not be attempted without a 4x4, because if you get stuck help is very far away if at all and especially during the summer.
If one has to do this roads, it would be advisable to do it in pairs as a back up. There are many similar warnings on its website too.

The good thing is, at some places, there was network but in remote areas, it was very difficult.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks