Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Fauji's Drivologues - Sandur's Splendors, Hampi's Wonders & Darroji's Bears

Another top class T/L Fauji! Added to my list of "Places I want to travel to".

A small anecdote, if I may: Shri M Y Ghorpade's son was my batchmate in college in the mid '70's. We were not friends, only nodding acquaintances.

At that time Shri Ghorpade was a Minister. As you have pointed out, he and the family were held in high esteem.

The son was very shy of his status both as a scion of a Royal family and a Minister's son. Very quiet and low profile, he did not want to make a show. He would get dropped and picked up by a chauffeur driven car (naturally!), but he would ensure that the car stopped nearly 1/2 km from the college and he would walk from there!

Can one imagine today's Minister's sons being like that?

And also as you have noted, Mr. Ghorpade was a very famous photographer. I was also then a very keen amateur B&W photographer, and had a collection of his wild life prints, all in B&W.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
Fauji,
This is a gem of a travelogue.
Sandur's pictures are too good and it definitely brings back memories of manasa sarovara movie by great puttanna.
Thank you for sharing this!
Thanks Srikrishna. I searched for the video of Manasa Sarovara on You Tube and was quite relieved that the place - Nari Halla - has not changed much in the last twenty five years. Hats off to Puttanna to explore these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Absolutely breath taking views and beautiful landscapes! And beautifully captured in words and pictures as well! Amazing travelouge Fauji sir!

Its amazing such diverse and stunning landscapes are there in India. Hope one lifetime is enough to see all these!
Thanks Thumping heart. Yes, Sandur is an amazing landscape ready for further exploration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Another top class T/L Fauji! Added to my list of "Places I want to travel to".

A small anecdote, if I may: Shri M Y Ghorpade's son was my batchmate in college in the mid '70's. We were not friends, only nodding acquaintances.

At that time Shri Ghorpade was a Minister. As you have pointed out, he and the family were held in high esteem.

The son was very shy of his status both as a scion of a Royal family and a Minister's son. Very quiet and low profile, he did not want to make a show. He would get dropped and picked up by a chauffeur driven car (naturally!), but he would ensure that the car stopped nearly 1/2 km from the college and he would walk from there!

Can one imagine today's Minister's sons being like that?

And also as you have noted, Mr. Ghorpade was a very famous photographer. I was also then a very keen amateur B&W photographer, and had a collection of his wild life prints, all in B&W.
Thanks Damu for sharing anecdote on the Sandur royals. Mr Ghorpade was very respectable person in Karnataka politics. He quietly retired when he realized that politics has changed in the recent times. Yes, he was an outstanding photographer and writer as well.

Are you mentioning about Karthik Ghorpade son of Senior Ghorpade? BTW, he has built a beautiful resort in Mudigere in Chikkamagalur called FLAMEBACK in their family estate. Take a look at this link.

Flameback Lodges | Home
Old 27th June 2012, 22:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

I was reading in today's Kannada newspaper on "NARI HALLA". It is pronounced as "NARI HALLA" not "NAARI HALLA" as it is generally known in the region. So it is NARI which means FOX in Kannada and not NAARI which means WOMAN.

It does makes sense as there must be many foxes in the forests surrounding the backwaters and hence the name!!
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 19:19   #34
BHPian

Fauji Sir, Once again.... Hats off to you.
Lovely pictures, beautiful narration and more over superb location.
Regards.
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Fauji Sir, Once again.... Hats off to you.
Lovely pictures, beautiful narration and more over superb location.
Regards.
Thank you Sri Rao. The place speaks for itself. It is a photographer's delight!!

Most Viewed