Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 17:01   #46
BHPian

Sure RM. I will do so when I get back home today evening. Its a pleasure to drive on nothing to fret about
Old 9th August 2012, 21:07   #47
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Bombay - Delhi - Chevrolet Beat and a bag full of dreams.

Hi RM,

Thank you for your kind words. Find the link below that will serve as a detailed route map which is accurate to the core.

Please Note this belongs to @hvkumar and it is his log. Due credit goes to the man for being a GPS system himself.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VZPZFp2dWhlelE

Now the finer details. The earlier you start the better. You should aim to hit Udaipur in close to 12 hours and the highway is a breeze. Road conditions are good in Maharashtra and if you start by 5 am you can aim to hit the BPCL food court by 8-8.30 am. There is a signage for Sugar and Spice starting 40-50 kms before the restaurant and it is a good family restaurant. There is a BPCL pump right next to it. You may fuel up if you want here. It seems to be a reliable pump.

Next thing you will encounter and the only hiccup in the journey are the Bharuch Ankleshwar towns. There is a left cut into Ankleshwar which skips the jammed part of the Bharuch town and gets you back to the main highway NH8 through the Golden bridge. This diversion will ensure you don't get stuck in the jam. However I chose to continue straight and did not divert as there is a bridge only for cars which you take to continue passing. This part will slow you down a bit.

You can aim for Plazzio Resort on the main highway in Baroda on the left hand side as your next pit stop. This should take you 6.5-7.5 hours to reach here. They have a restaurant inside and good washrooms, you may eat here.

9 kms onwards you will hit the Baroda - A'bad expressway. Remember to retain your toll ticket as you will need to show it once you're out of there. Here the speed limit is 100 Km/h and you can easily make lost time on this highway.

After this, remember you have to take the Himmat Nagar exit. Keep going straight and take a right from the secold circle better known as the Naroda Round about.

Here you can fuel up. You can expect to be here 8.5-9.5 hours into your journey. Keep going straight in case you're late, Hotel Landmark on your left is a good option to stay. 1100 bucks for a double room. However, to ensure you divide the journey into 2 days its better to continue towards Udaipur.

You will see a round bout which is an automatic right, from here on starts the journey towards Udaipur. It is a climb and there aren't any good places to stop so ensure you have a break at Himmat Nagar if you need one. This will be the most beautiful stretch of your journey. Himmat Nagar to Udaipur will take about 3 hours if you drive sedately like I did.

You will see Sneh Resort on your left just before Udaipur, its a ok place to stay if you want to be on the highway but these guys fleece. The food is good but the owner is a little too cocky for his own good. Its better to venture into Udaipur and stay at RTDC Kajri.

I covered the distance to Udaipur in close to 11 hours, however, I was alone. With breaks and sedate driving into consideration you can consider this a 12-14 hour journey.

The earlier you start from Udaipur the better. Remember, Jaipur to Delhi is majorly affected by construction and truck traffic and it can get horrific after 3 pm. It once took me 9 hours to cover Jaipur to Delhi so its good for you if you reach Jaipur by 12.30-1.

After fueling up remember to take the right towards NH 76 to Chittorhgarh. Follow the route map and stop at the Bhilwara mid way. This is a good restaurant right next to a BP pump and you can have your breakfast here.

Otherwise, everything is cool and you can follow the route map. Once you're on the Kishangarh Jaipur GVK expressway, you can aim for Jaipur in about 7.5 hours from Udaipur. There is a CCD between the expressway if you feel the need for a break. Continue going straight till you find a Left for Delhi and a right for Agra.

Road conditions are worst on this stretch. Aim for a sedate speed of 80 and you should be in Delhi in the next 4-6 hours. Remember to start from Jaipur towards Delhi maximum by 1 pm, post 3-4 pm truck traffic plays havoc and can lead to such jams that you would feel you're driving in city traffic.

Once you enter Gurgaon keep going straight till you find yourself at the Toll gate where Leela is on your right. This is the entrance to Delhi.

One advice : Don't listen to anyone, just follow the log.

Delhi to Mumbai : https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzW...VNudlFaTVZNR0U

The above is again the work of @HVKumar

The related thread is here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ctions-15.html

You can check the suggestions given to me. It may help you.

Let me know if I can help you with any other details.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 9th August 2012 at 21:10.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 16:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

You can also get some more info - apart from the excellent info Abhishek has already provided above - from the latest TL of mine, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-ghosts-3.html, where I have described my latest Bombay-Delhi drive
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 16:55   #49
BHPian

Suggest you go through HV sir's new log too. It is detailed again and will provide you with good inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports
Hey Abhishek ! Superb write up. I am planning to travel to Delhi next month. Can you forward me detailed route from Mumbai to Delhi. Like you have mentioned you got a lot of help from HVK and others.

First time it will be such a long drive for me. I would appreciate if you can help me with this Mumbai - Delhi drive route.
Old 13th August 2012, 15:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Abhishek and HV Kumar for your help. Now I am very much looking forward for this trip. I love driving but for such long trip I was confused as to drive or fly. Now I am definitely driving.

I just need little more help. Do you need any permit for driving in different states ? I have dark tints on my car. Will this cause and problems with cops in different states ?

In general do cops harass you for having a MH registered car ?

I came across many threads where people were harassed for something or other, i.e you need yellow sticker on headlamps in Gujrat and stuff like that.
Old 13th August 2012, 20:58   #51
BHPian

I experienced no trouble in any of the states.I was not flagged down in Rajasthan, Guj or MH A cop tried to flag me down for no apparent reason in Jaipur but he was far away and I was driving at a sedate speed of 70 so there was no reason to stop.

In Gujarat you may need the yellow stripes on your lights. Dark tints may cause issues in Delhi as the authorities are non tolerant about it.

I will not worry about the sticker, but I would if I had the dark tints.

You will not be harassed for no good reason and if you are, it is as good as being flagged down by a local cop so nothing new on that front.

Overall, the highway is a pleasure and it is safe to drive on. However, would suggest an all day drive unless you're comfortable otherwise for the sake of safety.

If someone is rash on the road and cuts you off, just remember its a highway and as long as you don't react, its all good. Follow the rule .. in no man's land mess with no man.

There are a lot of MH registered cars in Delhi and considering there are a good % of outside cars in Delhi (folks working in Gurgaon etc) you should not be troubled here except for the dark tints.
Old 13th August 2012, 22:56   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports
Thank you Abhishek and HV Kumar for your help. Now I am very much looking forward for this trip. I love driving but for such long trip I was confused as to drive or fly. Now I am definitely driving.

I just need little more help. Do you need any permit for driving in different states ? I have dark tints on my car. Will this cause and problems with cops in different states ?

I came across many threads where people were harassed for something or other, i.e you need yellow sticker on headlamps in Gujrat and stuff like that.
Generally in the cities there can be rogue cops who will try to impose his will on your vehicle, you can get out of such situations by being straightforward and some plain talking. On highway you will not find such characters basically due to the reason the vehicles are at good speed and no one stops for these flag downs or they are busy collecting their hafta from truckers. In Delhi u will not find being flagged down for having an outside registration number, the cops here are very tolerant regarding registration numbers as long as your vehicle conforms to the local regulations like no tints, proper fonts on registration number plates, pollution check certificates etc

Last edited by rajeshchand : 13th August 2012 at 22:57.
Old 14th August 2012, 09:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

I was stopped by RJ cops at Kotputli (Jaipur-Delhi sector) after he saw my MH number plates. I questioned him why he wants to see my car documents, refused and drove on.

Nowadays, DL cops do not harass out-of-state motorists, but a decade or so ago, the worst experience used to be in Delhi.

Cops in PB & JK "love" out-of-state cars & try to book them on some pretext or the other. In Srinagar last fortnight, after failing to find any flaw with the car documents, he wanted me to show the toll receipt for Lakhanpur which I also I had. Finally, in desperation, he booked me - for a unofficial fine of Rs 700 - for having a broken tail light (the lens cover of the reverse light was broken, but indicator & tail light were definitely working!) and my number plates were dirty (which they were!).

Most Viewed