Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 22:44   #31

Re: A small drive : Delhi to Vizag & back (via Ahmedabad)

Sudev, thanks a ton. Maybe I could have reached taken a shorter route last time. In any case, had more time in hand and company too. So it was not a problem. Sudev, taking Julupani's inputs and my own logic of fatigue in poor but shorter duration road route versus comofort in better but longer roads , would you still recommend Nagpur -Jhansi or GQ? As I mentioned my car would depend on route: ford endeavor for GQ where cruising speed could be 90kmph plus and maruti 800 for non GQ with cruising speed around 75 to 80kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Why Bhopal? Nagpur Lakhadnon Narsighpura Sagar Jahnsi Gwalior Agra Delhi

This is almost all divided highway. Some construction between Babina Jhansi and again around Narsighpura / Narmada. Single highway of about 30km between Seoni and Magpie.
Old 1st December 2013, 23:07   #32

Julupani , I was just checking google maps and driving distances. The difference between Sudev's suggested route from Nagpur without touching Bhopal to NCR , and the route which I followed, nagpur- bhopal -ncr the difference is about 67 kilometeres. But doing around 1000 km by Sudev in 13 hours is commendable. I normally do about 750 to 800 km in 12 to 13 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
As sudev said there is no need to go to Bhopal.

But the problem stretch is not so much upto Nagpur, but more after Nagpur. Even upto Raipur roads will be very good.

But after Raipur, and even more so after Jagdalpur roads are not good. And worse of all, a heavy monsoon heavy rains in October, cyclones and floods have left roads in south Odisha and north Andhra in a mess. And not much repair work would have been under taken either.

Not to mention, the GQ avoids the ghat section at the Odisha-Andhra border between Koraput and Vizianagaram. This ghat section is also likely to have the worst roads post rains.

So overall in my view, taking the GQ will be much less stressful for both man and machine, despite the extra distance.
srinathv7861 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 08:27   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the difference is 60 kms the road between Jhansi Sagar Narsinghpura Lhadanon is very low on traffic so in a i20 I could keep good average.

Gwalior Sagar Nagpur all have divided bye passes. Jhnasi was work in progress.

If you want to cut off Nagpur you can do Seoni - Bhandara through state highway.

Beyond Nagpur I took Durg - Dhamtari to byepass Bhilai Raipur congestion. Undivided two lane highway from here to Vizanagaram.

Jagdalpur Jeypore had bad stretch of 20km due to flood damage. Jeypore Koraput Vizanagram is hilly ghat section. Vast improvement from 2012 trip. Post monsoon I do not know.

What is the extra distance via GQ? Divide by 20 and you can compute the number of hours extra that are needed.

Lastly why M800 for non GQ route? Endy would be equally at home and provide better comfort.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:02   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

....for the event I drove to Vizag another friend drove in from Kolkota. I can check with him how it was but coming in and going out he did it in one day.
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:21   #35

That would be very helpful, understanding the kolkata vizag leg from your friend. I also am appreciating what you are saying in terms of distance and time. The route you are suggesting (Delhi -Vizag via nagpur is 1750 km ) This means it is about 600 km lesser than GQ which comes to about 2350 km. So even taking good road conditions on GQ one has to weigh the options. Since in any case, I plan to return via Dhanbad on my return leg, it maybe a good option to go by the Nagpur route to add variety . Useful input I would say. Can keep the suspense on till some more time and that is the advantage of getting experts like you and Julupani. I sure am looking forward to this. And Endy has been the chosen vehicle for either route , as suggested by you. While on this , how useful would it be to have a navigational device, like "map my india" or "satnav". I dont have any at present. Not sure how useful they would be.Pl advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
....for the event I drove to Vizag another friend drove in from Kolkota. I can check with him how it was but coming in and going out he did it in one day.
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:00   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinathv7861 View Post
While on this , how useful would it be to have a navigational device, like "map my india" or "satnav". I dont have any at present. Not sure how useful they would be.Pl advice.
Hardly an expert.

I use android smartphone with google map app and in addition use Orux maps and it is sufficient.

For instance on the outward leg I was stumped beyond Jagdalpur with two km's of road under flood which even trucks and buses were not daring.

So I looked at google map and rerouted my self to other side of flood area using the following http://goo.gl/maps/agsh0

It was back of beyond road deep in to countryside of Bastar district with drizzle all through. Talking with locals mixture of Hindi and some town names helped. Had great break having BHUTTA's roasted on coal fire while trying to understand a local temple ritual festival. Interestingly the moment I crossed state line in to Orissa the locals hardly spoke hindi unlike the Chattisgarh area.

More importantly I download the maps tile of the region before hand so that when there is no net connection the maps still show up. There were still couple of kilometers which were gravel. But that's me and my sense of taking adventure. Also important to record your off main highway excursions using MyTracks app This way in case I do get to a dead end at least I can come back and even without net connection.

Next day I learn't that flood receded past midnight. On way back the area was as if no flood had ever come!!.

This is a travelogue I never wrote because I hate to do travelogue later. To me they have to on the fly and not pieced together later in the build up section and then released.

Last edited by sudev : 2nd December 2013 at 19:04.
Old 22nd December 2013, 19:22   #37

Julupani, Sudev and Babuda,

Thanks for your advise and valuable guidance I am venturing out early morning of 23 dec, a day earlier than planned. In all likelihood it is going to be my Scorpio, 2006 model.

following the golden quadrilateral route - and planning to hit dhanbad by 23rd dec evening. planning the drive to be about 15 hours.

Debuda , am taking your advise and taking the Durgapur Dankuni Nekursini route for onward journey to Bhubaneswar on 24th.

Julupani, I maybe stopping at Bhubaneswar for lunch. Planning to have it around Mayfair or Trident. Would be a pleasure, if we could meet up.

I maybe proceeding onward to Visakhapatnam the same day or may take a break in Bhubaneswar on 24th and proceed to vizag on 25th morning.

Maybe briefly accessing team bhp site on my blackberry. so my messages will be very crisp.

will try taking notes for a travelogue and some pics too.

Cheers and pl feel free to give any last minute advice.

thank you,

Last edited by srinathv7861 : 22nd December 2013 at 19:38. Reason: wrongly addressed Babuda as Debuda
srinathv7861 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Julupani, Sudev and Babuda,

Thanks for your advise and valuable guidance I am venturing out early morning of 23 dec, a day earlier than planned.

Maybe briefly accessing team bhp site on my blackberry. so my messages will be very crisp.
Good luck, have a great trip and do post an update on the present Kolkata to Bhubaneswar road conditions.
Babuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 10:09   #39

Moderator note: Please avoid creating back to back posts, you can EDIT the original post instead once approved. Thanks.

I started around 2.15 am on the 23 of December. Weather and visibiiity was looking ok. Started getting foggy as I neared greater Noida. Became very bad as I reached Yamuna Expressway. Tried following a truck but it was real slow. So I decided to be on my own and moved ahead. The fog lights helped a bit. I slowly braved and did an average of 50 or thereabouts. Weather cleared a bit as I left expressway and neared agra. Traffic on NH2, early morning around 6 am. Especially trucks was moderately heavy. Could do an average of abou 45 to 50 kmph. This part of NH2 till about 50 km around periphery of Agra is densely populated and is marked by speed breakers, at an averag of one or two per km of stretch. After crossing around 30km of Agra weather became very foggy and this persisted right till I crossed Kanpur, or almost 10 am. The road till Kanpur from Agra has a lot of construction activity still going on. There are diversions galore. Stretch improves after Kanpur. But as the veterans have commented, one has to be extra alert for obstacles, obstructions coming from the reverse and perpendicular sides.

Thank you Babu da. I was able to stick to my schedule and reach around Dhanbad by 7.30 in the evening. I had begun my career in the coal fields at Jamadoba, Jharia, dhanbad, but have not been here since 1990. Ventured to peek in here. Have a very close friend who hosted me for the night. I liked the place, so though I was eager to drive on proceed , have taken a break here. Am likely to start the next leg from here to Vizag, later in the day today, via Dankuni as suggested by you.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th December 2013 at 10:31. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 6th January 2014, 10:22   #40

Dear Babu da,

Had started from Dhanbad at about 4.45 a.m. on the 25th Dec. Was able to hit Dankuni and later uluberia by around 8.45 a.m. Had a light lassi and proceeded to Bhubaneswar via belda , and jaleswar. road is mostly two lane but would say it is good.the guys still stop the vehicles at jaleswar to check vehicle papers.there was a congestion at the border but one can negotiate this by taking the reverse traffic lane and proceeding slowly. It was a very quick cursory check and quickly let off.no money or harassment if papers are in order. was able to hit bhadrak and proceeded to bhubaneswar. reached there at 3.00 p.m. on the 25th Dec.

Stayed back at Bhubnaeswar with a very close friend for hte night, and started leisurely for Vizag on the 26th. I was still proceeding ahead of schedule so could afford to cruise . Roads from Bhubaneswar to Vizag are smooth. the border at iccahpuram though needs to be manouvered. this could mean taking the reverse lane to avoid the truck traffic congestion waiting for clearance. this seems the norm for private cars.

roads in andhra are good and four lane. though the tyres were tubeless , had a flat tyre, which probably deflated fully while the vehicle stopped for paying toll. did not notice it and so lost the tyre. replaced it easilly with the spare tyre and proceeded. was intending to replace the tyres before the journey itself but thought i would test them to see if they could survive. at vizag ahd all the four tyres replaced, though they were reasonably good. had work in vizag on the 27th. Proceeded from Vizag to koraput on the 28th Dec 2013.started at around 3.00 p.m. Was joined on this leg by my wife and couple of very close relations. we reached koraput by 7.00 p.m. Koraput is a lovely place and the road is reasonably good.
Was in Koraput on the 29th Dec. Startd from Koraput on the 30th around 10.00 a.m. and was in Vizag by 2.00 p.m. in time for a late lunch. Post lunch dropped of my relations who had come from abroad, at the vizag airport.

it was almost 5.00p.m., and my wife thought it would be better to strat off for the return leg the next day. So we commenced our return journey to bhubaneswar on the next day, 31st Dec. left vizag at 10.00 a.m.

Was in Bhubaneswar by 3.00 p.m. had a decent snack. Decided to spend the new year eve in bhubaneswar.

1st jan 2014, 9.00 a.m. started from bhubaneswar to keonjhar and then to noamundi, (jharkhand). Julupani had suggested the NH215, from panikhoili to joda. much of this route , is a bumpy one with rough patches . but very good scenery. very less traffic. there seems to be another route which the cab drivers who are familiar take up. I did not know this route. could have saved two hours time plus enjoyed a smoother stretch. but no misgivings. reached noamundi around dusk, 4.30 p.m. Noamundi is another good place. enjoyed the scenery and hospitality of a very close friend . stayed in noamundi on the 1st and 2nd jan. started from noamundi on the 3rd of jan 2014 around 7.00 a.m.

Encountered fog for the first one hour in the hilly terrain. Crossed chaibasa, ranchi , ramgarh, hazaribagh , barhi and joined the NH2 at about 4.30 p.m.

drove till dehri, sasaram, and reached the place around 7.p.m. stopped for the night at a resort called bagicha resort. which has good modern camping tents, with clean beds, toilets and restaurant facility. 1000/- for acco and food priced very reasonably.

Started from sasaram on the 3rd of jan at 7.00 a.m. had a distance of 1000 k.m. to cover to reach delhi. NH2 is good till kanpur. gets patchy and iversions till etawah. gets congested at agra and opens up for an excellent drive as one takes expressway.

was at expressway by 6.00 p.m. drove intentionally keeping the odometer under 100 kmph and was able to exit expressway and enter noida at 7.30 p.m.

took another 90 minutes to hit gurgaon from noida and was home at gurgaon by 9.00 p.m.

was a great ride. one has to enjoy it without pressure of timelines and stress of racing.

gives a great feel to see this places.

the golden quadrilateral and NH2 are well equipped and give a feeling of security, making the toll that one pays meaningful and a value for money.

gives the feeling of pride when one sees our great country , its different cultures and the porgress.

recommend all those guys , itching to take a drive to venture, and take the breath of air.

thanks to BHP, Sudev, Julupani and Babu da, who encouraged and gave me the moral support and a feeling of help close at hand.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

@sudev, if Delhi-Ahmedabad-Vizag is a "Small Drive", I wonder what you would call a "Big Drive"
Old 6th January 2014, 12:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Had started from Dhanbad at about 4.45 a.m. on the 25th Dec. Was able to hit Dankuni and later uluberia by around 8.45 a.m. Had a light lassi and proceeded to Bhubaneswar via belda , and jaleswar. road is mostly two lane but would say it is good.the guys still stop the vehicles at jaleswar to check vehicle papers.there was a congestion at the border but one can negotiate this by taking the reverse traffic lane and proceeding slowly. It was a very quick cursory check and quickly let off.no money or harassment if papers are in order. was able to hit bhadrak and proceeded to bhubaneswar. reached there at 3.00 p.m. on the 25th Dec.
Thanks for the update. We are planning to visit Puri later this month and I was wondering on the after effects of Cyclone Phailin on Orissa roads.

Quote:
Encountered fog for the first one hour in the hilly terrain. Crossed chaibasa, ranchi , ramgarh, hazaribagh , barhi and joined the NH2 at about 4.30 p.m.
We just returned from Ranchi yesterday. We had taken the NH-2, Bagodar, Hazaribagh, Ramgarh, Ranchi route for our onward as well as return journey. How was the road condition between Hazaribagh and Barhi?

Quote:
thanks to BHP, Sudev, Julupani and Babu da, who encouraged and gave me the moral support and a feeling of help close at hand.
Great trip! Now you should start planning for the next one.
Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 13:22   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
@sudev, if Delhi-Ahmedabad-Vizag is a "Small Drive", I wonder what you would call a "Big Drive"
LOL.

I guess to me a long trip would be trans-continental or one lasting coupe of weeks driving at least.

That said I generally find people overly apprehensive about driving through from one to other part of our country. Generally their fears are quite baseless.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:27   #44

The route from hazaribagh to Barhi is quite short- about 30 to 40 minutes or less and the road is in good condtion.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:29   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Thanks for the update. We are planning to visit Puri later this month and I was wondering on the after effects of Cyclone Phailin on Orissa roads.

We just returned from Ranchi yesterday. We had taken the NH-2, Bagodar, Hazaribagh, Ramgarh, Ranchi route for our onward as well as return journey. How was the road condition between Hazaribagh and Barhi?
The route from hazaribagh to Barhi is quite short- about 30 to 40 minutes or less and the road is in good condtion.

Great trip! Now you should start planning for the next one. [/quote]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks