Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 18:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Meghamalai - The Hidden Paradise

Awesome place and crystal clear write up! The pictures speak for themselves! Thanks for sharing the thread and pictures.

OT: Is the place approachable by a Hatch during monsoons?
Old 20th June 2012, 18:43   #17
BHPian

Superb Pictures and a very detailed Travelogue. I have already started planning a visit to this place. Thanks for providing the contact details.
Old 20th June 2012, 19:00   #18
BHPian

Awesome travelogue, Really enjoyed reading it, Mr. Madbiker! The name suits you!! And the pictures are really stunning. It always feels amazing to visit such a remote place. There is nothing like spending a weekend in the lap of nature and of course riding!! It heals the soul

How did the ninja cope with the terrain? The V-twin lacks low end torque. Was it an issue? I ride a T-bird, so all I relate to biking is massive torque and tremendous comfort. I can't even imagine riding a ninja on terrain like that! Hehe. Must require getting used to.

P.S. - Thank god he didn't get hurt due to the fall. Also the bike didn't get too damaged.
Old 20th June 2012, 19:42   #19
BHPian

Awesome ! The scenic pics really freshened me up after getting caught in bad traffic.
Meghamalai is about 500 Kms from Bangalore. I really need to visit this place.
Old 21st June 2012, 10:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Great to bring out yet another hidden gem of a place. Must say your gang of 3 surely rocks and having the best 3 bikes from the Japs makes its even better.

Request you to let us know a bit more about the performance and experience of these 3 bikes on this road trip.

Also please clarify on the accomodation as I might have missed a point about that earlier

1. Which accomodation would Murugan book from the two mentioned above

2. Which is the one you stayed ('Take left for Cottage' meaning which one) and any idea if you could visit by the other option during you trip
Thanks Girish.

Bikes performed superbly. Honda CBR being the best of the lot since it had better suspension settings. Yamaha R15 had a small over heating issue (due to a sensor issue, which was later rectified). Ninja did not ever complain of any thing, it went through the bad roads and yet was super smooth back in the highway. In all, couldn't have opted for better machines in the trip.

1) Murugan would book the Government Panchayat Guest House

2) take left for cloud mountain bunglow , right (or rather straight) for Panchayat Guest House - We did not visit the other places of stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Wonderful MadBiker. Thanks a ton for sharing this travelogue and also providing the contacts for the accommodation. Meghamalai was always in my list but couldn't make it. How about visiting there during first week of July. I know there will be monsoon. I wanted to enjoy the monsoon indeed. What I wanted to know is whether will it be driveable in a Car during the rains.
Thanks Ramesh.

July would still be raining in the western ghats, suggest you push your trip by a month or so. August or September would be ideal! And about a car - It could take it provided it has better ground clearance. A Sedan might have some issue - SUV or taller hatch backs might evade through (in my opinion)

Good luck for your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Wonderful pictures mate! What a place!! looks amazing!! But my friend, you have done more bad than good by posting pictures here!! Now this place is really going to be on everyone's radar and feel it will soon loose its virgin look!!

I believe such places should be just left unexplored and let them still remain a paradise.. what say?
Thanks Vinair.

I agree that it should be left unexplored, but sharing is caring - isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
By the looks of it one of the last frontiers of Western Ghats has been conquered, for a very active community it was surprising that Meghamalai was sort of not visited in detail by the Tbhp community.

Now thanks to Ananth we get to see the splendid place which looks like even better than Valparai. Unfortunately for me every time I check with the Woodbriar group both their properties are booked. May be I should plan a visit soon before the Monsoon becomes active.

Madbiker: How was the Panchayat Guest House, somehow Sivakumar was not wanting us to try them out when I checked with him a couple of months back.

Thanks once again for sharing the lovely pics.
Thanks Srikanth.

It was very decent, for the money we paid - the room was clean, the hotel was just nearby and attendants were also helpful in giving extra pillow / blankets for the room plus it had geyser to get 24 x 7 hot water (Provided there is electricity)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt1948 View Post
Hello young lads,

this is a great escapade on mobikes, though love adventures myself, pity i cant ride bikes, since i'am 60+, do enjoy your future trips, and keep them posted them here.

the photo shoots were awesome, good to know that there are still some virgin awesome places in the south. Cheers!
Thanks Natt!

If not for a Bike, Take an SUV- You will feel at home in that terrain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tation-tn.html

I posted this last year. Amazing place. We were the only visitors there that time.
Thanks Manav. I did go through your log before leaving to Meghamalai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Awesome place and crystal clear write up! The pictures speak for themselves! Thanks for sharing the thread and pictures.

OT: Is the place approachable by a Hatch during monsoons?
It is tough i would say, but during monsoons - there are a lot of places where stagnant water / slushy terrain is evident - If god forbid you get to lock your wheels - You may have to wait for help, which is not so easily available in these parts.

But, The incline is not that high, only the gravel / boulders make it slippery at times. If you have some company to push or direct to drive through better patches - then i would say - Good Luck for your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
Superb Pictures and a very detailed Travelogue. I have already started planning a visit to this place. Thanks for providing the contact details.
Thanks Kiran. Best wishes for your travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Awesome travelogue, Really enjoyed reading it, Mr. Madbiker! The name suits you!! And the pictures are really stunning. It always feels amazing to visit such a remote place. There is nothing like spending a weekend in the lap of nature and of course riding!! It heals the soul

How did the ninja cope with the terrain? The V-twin lacks low end torque. Was it an issue? I ride a T-bird, so all I relate to biking is massive torque and tremendous comfort. I can't even imagine riding a ninja on terrain like that! Hehe. Must require getting used to.

P.S. - Thank god he didn't get hurt due to the fall. Also the bike didn't get too damaged.
Thank you!

Ninja did cope up well. It did not stutter nor complain ever. I am a little hard on the throttle so, a little more revs on the incline is good to match up with the torque. Since the degree of incline is not that high, Torque was never an issue. Plus, I have ridden a lot of rough & off road sort of terrain before and the Ninja and somehow my Ninja is used to such beating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
Awesome ! The scenic pics really freshened me up after getting caught in bad traffic.
Meghamalai is about 500 Kms from Bangalore. I really need to visit this place.
Thank you! It feels like a must do again & again kind of place!
Old 21st June 2012, 12:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
I believe such places should be just left unexplored and let them still remain a paradise.. what say?
Agree with you, but this place is already being promoted by the Tourism Department of TN for the past 2 years. Whatever place these guys start 'promoting' turns into a not so nice place within a decade.
The only way to preserve these wonderful locales, is to entrust them in the hands of forest department and never allow commercial interests to set shop.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:19   #22
BHPian

Hi,

Really envy bikers like you! The freedom you enjoy on a bike is unparalleled and its the closest you can get to nature while travelling.

Keep posting you rides to hidden places and let us enjoy with you.

Is this place doable on a sedan? Read Manav's tlogue too, but wonder how the roads are today.

Thank You for sharing

Vindy
Old 21st June 2012, 13:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Agree with you, but this place is already being promoted by the Tourism Department of TN for the past 2 years. Whatever place these guys start 'promoting' turns into a not so nice place within a decade.
The only way to preserve these wonderful locales, is to entrust them in the hands of forest department and never allow commercial interests to set shop.
I guess Meghamalai was announced a Reserve Forest Area (I read somewhere, not 100% Sure) and the place was all Private till 2009! Wonder how it was right from the british rule till the private ownership till 2009. For now, Its a beautiful hill station with hardly any plastics around.

Suggestion to keep it clean?

Just like Valparai - Athirampalli stretch, we can set up a forest checkpost to check for plastics and ensure not to dispose them in Meghamalai.

Also, we could have a limit / check on total number of visitors per day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

Really envy bikers like you! The freedom you enjoy on a bike is unparalleled and its the closest you can get to nature while travelling.

Keep posting you rides to hidden places and let us enjoy with you.

Is this place doable on a sedan? Read Manav's tlogue too, but wonder how the roads are today.

Thank You for sharing

Vindy
Thanks for the compliments Vindy.

Not sure if a Sedan can take it since the ground clearance would be low. The roads are rough and in many places it is covered by big boulders. Better to check for some one who has already visited the place in a Sedan. Cheers!
Old 21st June 2012, 14:00   #24
BHPian

What I heard was that the 99 year lease taken by the estates are coming to a close in a few years time. After that they go back to forest department. This is the reason why the estate owners don't want to spend on improving roads and such.
As I said, this is just hearsay
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 15:36   #25
BHPian

Wow, fantastic adventure you lot! Reminds me so much of the ride my friend and I went on, back in April. I'm yet to post a travelogue worthy of the place!

Anyway, how big a challenge was it riding in the rain? We suffered some horrible downpours in Kerala and TN. Were your jackets rainproof? If yes, how helpful are they at high speeds?

And ya, superb collection of bikes. Similar bikes not only look good in photos but also make sure you stay together on the highways.

Fantastic place. Keep them coming
Old 21st June 2012, 15:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Wow, fantastic adventure you lot! Reminds me so much of the ride my friend and I went on, back in April. I'm yet to post a travelogue worthy of the place!

Anyway, how big a challenge was it riding in the rain? We suffered some horrible downpours in Kerala and TN. Were your jackets rainproof? If yes, how helpful are they at high speeds?

And ya, superb collection of bikes. Similar bikes not only look good in photos but also make sure you stay together on the highways.

Fantastic place. Keep them coming
Thanks Tejus.

It was not difficult. Our Riding jackets had water proof lining plus we had extra rain coats in case of heavy down pour. When it was raining, On the GQ, We were able to maintain around 100's without rain coats, but on state highways we normally maintain much lower speeds.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

There is an ownership issue with regard to Meghamalai and the roads leading to it. I think the lease is supposed to get over around 2030. HLL used to be the owner of almost all the estates in Meghamalai which were sold to Woodbriar group a few years back. One of the other reasons the roads are not maintained is the Woodbriar group are comfortable with the place not being accessible as it would allow lesser tourist crowd.

The ownership of the roads were taken back by the Highways Department a couple of years back and Tamil Nadu Tourism has been sort of promoting the destination. In fact Alamparai Fort & Meghamalai are two of the "lesser known destinations" theme which Tamil Nadu Tourism has been promoting.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 19:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker

Thanks Tejus.

It was not difficult. Our Riding jackets had water proof lining plus we had extra rain coats in case of heavy down pour. When it was raining, On the GQ, We were able to maintain around 100's without rain coats, but on state highways we normally maintain much lower speeds.
Oh that's nice. Sadly we had no such gear and ended up suffering many a times in the rain. Lesson learnt and some jackets are on the way

Its always nice to see adventures like this. You've inspired me to start working on my own post which is worth this site's high standards.

Ride safe buddy.
tejus.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:35   #29
BHPian

Superb trip! Great set of machines too!

would you be able to compare the riding comfort /handling/mileage over the trip for the 3 steeds?
1. CBRer 2. Ninja 3.R15
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Superb trip! Great set of machines too!

would you be able to compare the riding comfort /handling/mileage over the trip for the 3 steeds?
1. CBRer 2. Ninja 3.R15
You cannot company a Ninja to a CBR to a R15

Ninja is a Twin Cylinder High Revving Machine to a CBR is a Single Cylinder Torque'y Machine to a R15 - a Single Cylinder 150cc High Revving Machine.

I'm giving a rough idea about how the bikes performed:

On the GQ (4 Lane Highway)

Ninja - 9/10

CBR - 8/10

R15 - 7/10

On the Two Lane Under Construction roads

Ninja - 8/10

CBR - 9/10

R15 - 7/10

On Broken / Off Roads in the Hills:

Ninja - 6/10

CBR - 8/10