Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 12:50   #16
BHPian

Re: The Quest for Monsoons in the Malnad Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Beautiful pictures and narration Himavanth. Generally post monsoon is the best time to visit Malnad as it will be very green and cold but, if you have an SUV and don't mind bad roads and non stop rain (and maybe leeches), then monsoon is the best time. During summer, the forests will still be green, but the green grasslands will be dry and brown.

Btw, I had been near Kemmangundi just yesterday and although it wasn't raining that much, the weather was awesome. In the past 2 weeks I have trekked up Mullayanagiri and Bababudangiri and then went back there again yesterday. It was just super. The Muthodi-Kemmangundi road too is one of my regular haunts. The last I was there though, was a few months back.

The above paragraph totally sums up your trip. Nice!!!

The 4th Sanctuary you have mentioned is Shettyhalli Wildlife Sanctuary and not Seethupally
damn. I have to get my names correctly. Next time, I will take a pen and book and when I see a place name, I will stop the vehicle, write it down and then proceed. Sorry for the confusion.

Could you please share your experiences and drives through this place?
I have read your trekkalogs to Kudremukh and your drive to Sringeri and Agumbe. But there must be more, I am sure.
And eagerly waiting for your updates on your latest weekend trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Hello Himavanth, What can I say !!! The Malnad region and Tata Safari have been two things so close to my heart, and your post shines up my Monday morning !! Excellent writings and pictures ! Even I have the same "Live to Drive" pasted at the same place on my Safari !

3. Though I knew that there is a connecting road from Kemmmangundi to Muthodi through the forests without the need to traverse through Chikmagalur, I am not getting first hand information on that road. Can you plot a quick sketch on Google maps and add the image on this post so that it is easy to figure out ? I have been longing to do Muthodi - Kemmangundi for long, and your advice would be appreciated !

4. Did you drive up to the Shigekan IB in Muthodi ? Samurai's posts speak of heavenly views from there !

Thanks !
3. The road is not routed in Google Maps. So I cannot give you exact details. However here are the directions.
Once you reach Birur, you need to take left to Kemmanugundi. Then you reach a place called Lingadahalli. After that, I think you again need to take left to Kemmangundi. Just where there is 1Km board to kemmangundi, you will find a checkpost to Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary. Enter the Sanctuary. Then again you reach a junction that says Right hebbe Falls. At this junction, you have to take left. From there on, it is just single road. Then you exit the sanctuary through another checkpost. Here you find Good single laned Tar road that takes you to Attigundi. After going about 5 KMs crossing the exit checkpost towards Attigundi , you will find a right what says entrance to some coffee estates. (Forgot the name of the coffee estate). There are 2 or 3 boards mentioning different estate names. And this turn will be like a Hair pin bend if you wish to take it. If you go straight, you will reach Attigundi. There are some people here and you can ask them for directions for Muthodi. They are helpful. mention that you dont want to go via Attigundi and you want to take the route through forest. They will warn you that the road is bad and will try to recommend the other route. Once you enter this Muthodi road, it is just straight road through some bad roads. (The first pic in my travelogue is in this road). Hope these directions are clear enough.

4. No i did not go to the Guest house.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 25th June 2012 at 13:02.
Old 25th June 2012, 13:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Quest for Monsoons in the Malnad Region

Nice to read your blog. Safari surely would have felt at home in this weather.

Malnad region looks the best in this monsoon region and you chose perfect time for this trip.
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks