Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2012, 12:31   #1
BANNED

Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga

Made a road trip to Mangalore, Chikmangalur and Shimoga from Bangalore. Just wanted to share my experince and the breath taking sceneries with you all.

Well for a brief introduction of mine, I work as a Sales Manager and my job involves a lot of traveling in and around Karnataka. Very recently I have been transferred to Karnataka from Andhra.

On my last visit to Mangalore, last month, I heard from my local executives that the view enroute B'lore - M'lore is really awesome and also that one of executives was getting married on Sunday the 24th made a perfect reason for me to take my own vehicle and tour these markets

Started on Tuesday 19th of June from Banglore in my Grande Punto at 5:00 clock in the morning. The road till Hassan was a breeze and after that the ghats started. Many asked me about the quality of the road in Ghats, and i felt it was pretty good for a hilly terrain. I was more amazed by the view than the road. Reached around 11'o Clock to Mangalore. Met the executives and was involved in the work from then on

Wednesday 20th, visited Kundapur on work itself

Thursday 21st, visited Udipi on work itself

Friday 22nd, drove from Mangalore to Chikmangalur. The maps in iPhone indicated that the journey of 150 kms between these two will take around 2 and half hours, but the view made me stop at every turn while climbing the hills. It was the best view I ever had in my life. Started at 6:00 from Mangalore and reached Chikmangalur by 10:00. Then went on work and in the evening visited the highest point in Karnataka. (Sorry!! Dont remember the name)

Saturday 23rd drove from Chikmangalur to Shimoga. The journey was mostly downhill and for the first time in 4 days i saw some sunlight shinning on me.

Sunday 24th was the marriage in Teerthalli, which is around 60 kms from Shimoga. It was a very pleasant drive all along the river. After attending the marriage, drove back to B'Lore.

The distance and the time taken are as follows
1. Banglore to Manglore - 360 Kms, 5 hours
2. Mangalore to Chikmangalur - 150 kms, 4 hours
3. Chikmangalur to Shimoga - 100 kms, 2 hours
4. Shimoga to Thirthahalli - 60 kms, 1 hour
5. Thirthahalli to Banglore - 340 kms, 7 hours

The most curious thing in the entire journey was that, somehow the tyre pressure in both my rare wheels reduced drastically on the hills. Couldnt understand wether this was because of the altitude or some mischief done by someone. I mean both the rear tyres going down is something wierd.

Below are a few pictures that I have clicked

Bangalore to Mangalore

Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0981.jpg

The sound of water gushing beside you was just so refreshing and motivating early in the morning
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0982.jpg

Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0983.jpg

Mangalore - Chikmangalur
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0986.jpg

Driving through the clouds was one experience I'll cherish for the rest of my life
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0987.jpg
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0990.jpg
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0991.jpg

Completly envy the people living in this area. How lucky they are
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0995.jpg

Heaven on Earth
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_0997.jpg

Serendipity
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_1003.jpg
Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga-img_1005.jpg

Thank You
tony05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 00:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Mangalore - Chikmangalur - Shimoga

Experience! These pictures make me badly miss being in India around the Monsoon season. For now, this is the closest I can be to actually making these trips. Have the rains really begun or are the roads just beginning to get wet now?
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:41   #3
BHPian

Nice pictures Tony05 !! Your white Punto looks great in the background of the Charmadi Ghats ( From what your pictures tell me, it looks like Charmadi Ghats ). I actually expected the mountains to be more green though....

Just a small correction if you dont mind...it is "Chikmagalur" and not "Chikmangalur" . The name translates into "Younger Daughter's Town" in Kannada. There is an adjoining village called "Hiremagalur" to it, which translates into "Elder's daughter's Town". These towns were gifted by the local king to his two daughters !
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pictures, do upload if you have more. Few questions about the route

Thirthahalli to Banglore - 340 kms, 7 hours, did you went back to Shimoga and took NH69?

The pictures of hills and clouds, which road is that. Is it after getting off NH 73 at Mudigere? Lovely roads and view i must say, tempting for me to just go there for those hills and clouds . Thanks for sharing.
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:56   #5
BHPian

Are some of the pictures taken enroute to chikmangalore from Charmadi Ghat section?
Old 4th July 2012, 11:04   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Experience! These pictures make me badly miss being in India around the Monsoon season. For now, this is the closest I can be to actually making these trips. Have the rains really begun or are the roads just beginning to get wet now?
The rains have begun in the coastal areas of Karnataka. Bangalore I believe is yet to receive its share of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Nice pictures Tony05 !! Your white Punto looks great in the background of the Charmadi Ghats ( From what your pictures tell me, it looks like Charmadi Ghats ). I actually expected the mountains to be more green though....

Just a small correction if you dont mind...it is "Chikmagalur" and not "Chikmangalur" . The name translates into "Younger Daughter's Town" in Kannada. There is an adjoining village called "Hiremagalur" to it, which translates into "Elder's daughter's Town". These towns were gifted by the local king to his two daughters !
Thank you for the compliment regarding Punto. Yes it is indeed Charmadi Ghats. and Thanks a lot for the correction regarding "Chikmagalur". Will remember it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Lovely pictures, do upload if you have more. Few questions about the route

Thirthahalli to Banglore - 340 kms, 7 hours, did you went back to Shimoga and took NH69?

The pictures of hills and clouds, which road is that. Is it after getting off NH 73 at Mudigere? Lovely roads and view i must say, tempting for me to just go there for those hills and clouds . Thanks for sharing.
This pictures of clouds and the hills are before Mudigere, from Mangalore.

Regarding Thirthahalli to Banglore, yes I went back to Shimoga and took NH69. It is basically that the Google Maps are my guide and also the drive back was a slow one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Are some of the pictures taken enroute to chikmangalore from Charmadi Ghat section?
Yes the pictures with the clouds have been taken enroute to Chikmagalore via the Charmadi Ghat
Old 4th July 2012, 12:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

I drove to Thirthahalli last weekend. The route is Bangalore - Tumkur (NH 4)
Tiptur - Arsikere - Bhadravati (Bypass) - Shimoga (By pass) ( NH 206)
Thirthahalli ( NH 13).

Total distance from Bangalore to Thirthahalli was 360 KMs and I covered it in 6 hrs 15 mins with 30 mins break in between. Roads are excellent all the way.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:28   #8
BHPian

Tony did you find out the possible reason for getting the tyre pressure reduced on both the rear tyres? it will be of immense help for fellow bhpians to know the reason so please share

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks