Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 11:03   #16
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: Konaseema - The land of enchanting beauty

Very good trip with nice photos.

All these places can be seen in 2-3 days with proper planning.

I had been to these places in may 2012. We had travelled form vizag to annavaram-uppada( for saree shopping)-samlakot- draksharama on day1.
Uppada jamdhani sarees has Geographical Indications (GI) certification. It is an unique weaving pattern.

Day 2- draksharamam-ryali-narsapur- ferry- antervedi-palakollu-bhimavaram-dwarakatirumala
Sakhinetipalli- antervedi route is simply superb.

Bhimavaram temple Shiva linga has unique feature. It changes color from full moon day to no moon day (amavasya) gradually ( white to brownish black)

Bikkavolu has very good ancient temples(11-12 century) under ASI. I could not do it due to paucity of time

There is reasonably good guest house at Drakasharamam temple. It has two AC suites @ Rs 700/ per day.

Dwarka tirumala also has very good temple accommodation AC double room @ 600/ day

If it were only a pilgramage it can include dwarka tirumal amd bhadrachalam also. depending upon the time availability

Google map is enclosed
Attached Thumbnails
Konaseema - The land of enchanting beauty-konaseema.jpg  

Last edited by rkg : 8th August 2012 at 11:10.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Very good trip with nice photos.
All these places can be seen in 2-3 days with proper planning.

I had been to these places in may 2012. We had travelled form vizag to annavaram-uppada( for saree shopping)-samlakot- draksharama on day1.
Uppada jamdhani sarees has Geographical Indications (GI) certification. It is an unique weaving pattern.

Bikkavolu has very good ancient temples(11-12 century) under ASI. I could not do it due to paucity of time
If it were only a pilgramage it can include dwarka tirumal amd bhadrachalam also. depending upon the time availability
I think covering all these places in 2 or 3 days would be a bit hectic. I think this place needs minimum of 4 to 5 days so that we can spend time leisurely and also visit some of the interior villages to have the full experience instead of just a pilgrimage trip.

Dwaraka Tirumala and Bhadrachalam do not come under this belt. So I did not mention about those places in this thread.
Biccavolu has about 4 or 5 Lord Shiva temples(Known with different names), a Lord Ganesha temple. These are built by the Chalukyan Kings if I am not mistaken.

Since you have been to all the Pancharama Kshetras (Except Amaravati), could you please clear the confusion about which are the actual 5?

The priests at the temples mentioned that Amaravati, Bhimavaram, Draksharamam, Samalkota and Palakollu are the 5 and even my parents believed the same when I enquired. But when I searched online, it mentions Kotipalli instead of Samalkota as the Pancharama Kshetras. If you have any information about the same, could you please update?

Also, if you don't mind, could you please post the pics of the places and temples you have visited during your trip?
Old 8th August 2012, 13:01   #18
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I think covering all these places in 2 or 3 days would be a bit hectic. I think this place needs minimum of 4 to 5 days so that we can spend time leisurely and also visit some of the interior villages to have the full experience instead of just a pilgrimage trip.

Dwaraka Tirumala and Bhadrachalam do not come under this belt. So I did not mention about those places in this thread.
Biccavolu has about 4 or 5 Lord Shiva temples(Known with different names), a Lord Ganesha temple. These are built by the Chalukyan Kings if I am not mistaken.

Since you have been to all the Pancharama Kshetras (Except Amaravati), could you please clear the confusion about which are the actual 5?

The priests at the temples mentioned that Amaravati, Bhimavaram, Draksharamam, Samalkota and Palakollu are the 5 and even my parents believed the same when I enquired. But when I searched online, it mentions Kotipalli instead of Samalkota as the Pancharama Kshetras. If you have any information about the same, could you please update?

Also, if you don't mind, could you please post the pics of the places and temples you have visited during your trip?

One can add dwarka tirumal and bhadrachalam if there is time and destination is hyderabad. these places will be on route with little deviation
As you said it is difficult to cover all these in two days. In two days it is possible to cover all except dwarka tirumal and bhdrachalam.

I could do all these except bikkavolu in two days. I had started from vizag at 8.30 AM and reached annavaram by 11.00 AM and pitapuram by 1 AM

But two days will be insufficient if the plan is go interior and enjoy Konaseema. Atleast another two days are required.

I think Samalkot is only part of the pancharamam's. Iam not sure. Only these 5 places are mentioned in granite in amaravati temple.

Of the 5, three are tall lime stone linga's (amaravati, samlakot and draksharamam) 13-14ft tall.

Other two are small

Bhimavaram temple Linga changes color from white on full moon day to browninsh on amavasya day.

Pitapuram and draksharamam are also Shakti peeta temples ( two of the asta dasa shakti peeta's)

At many places photography is not allowed inside. We can only take outside gopuram photo's

Further many of these temples are renovated with concrete stuff.

Samalkot and Draksharamam are big temples, but are not great in terms of architectural beauty.

As i have visited them in May (21st -24th may 2012) during peak summer( 42-45 degrees) I was trying to jump into car as fast as possible. Hence no photographs.

I was coming back from vizag to bangalore. So i have planned it for 4 day trip
Vizag-draksharamam day1
day 1.to dwarla tirumal
days3 Tirupati
day 4 vellore- bangalore

Kotipalli and bikkavolu were leftout. actually i wanted to go to bikkavolu, but my wife and mother wanted uppada sarees. hence bikkavolu lost out.

Last edited by rkg : 8th August 2012 at 13:03.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 22:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Rajahmundry (my home town) to Hyd today. Drive from Vijayawada - Hyd was done in 4.5 hrs (I take ORR from Ramoji film city to reach my home in Gachibowli). The new Vijayawada - HYD is very smooth and well laid. Now we need a ORR at Vijayawada. Passing through that city is terrible.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 13:23   #20
BHPian

Thanks Himavanth for your fantastic travelogue .

The places you visited are very near by for me .

I visit them frequently in my Gypsy , They are beautiful and give me something new every time I visit them .

The photo of Antarvedi beach , which shows a brick monument in the sea is always on the beach never saw in the water , This indicates that Bay of bengal has migrated in to the land (scary) .

This phenomenon is called PAATU in local langauge .

I travelled 30km to left on Antarvedi beach last july but only in 4H , One should drive there to belive its beauty .

A 4X4 with 4H and 4L are mandatory there .

Loved reading every line of your Travelogue . Appreciate your fantastic photos .
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 21:03   #21
BHPian

Another place that I forgot mention is Yanam. It is a Union Territory and it is part of Pondicherry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Drove from Rajahmundry (my home town) to Hyd today. Drive from Vijayawada - Hyd was done in 4.5 hrs (I take ORR from Ramoji film city to reach my home in Gachibowli). The new Vijayawada - HYD is very smooth and well laid. Now we need a ORR at Vijayawada. Passing through that city is terrible.
Because of the terrible traffic at Vijayawada, try to reach there during non peak times. It will be peaceful. As far as the ORR for Vijayawada is concerned, we must keep dreaming until something is done. The ORR would need to cross the Krishna River twice which will just add to the cost of the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
The places you visited are very near by for me .

The photo of Antarvedi beach , which shows a brick monument in the sea is always on the beach never saw in the water , This indicates that Bay of bengal has migrated in to the land (scary) .

This phenomenon is called PAATU in local langauge .

I travelled 30km to left on Antarvedi beach last july but only in 4H , One should drive there to belive its beauty .

A 4X4 with 4H and 4L are mandatory there .

Loved reading every line of your Travelogue . Appreciate your fantastic photos .
I think the phenomenon is called POTU. May be different pronunciation. Since you are in Bhimavaram, could you please clarify which are the 5 Pancharama Kshetras?

By driving, did you mean you drove 30 km on the beach? I assume the entry point is Antarvedi, after 30 kms where did you exit? Did you need 4H throughout? Did you reduce tyre pressure to make the drive? I am very interested in the drive myself and I would like to know all the information. Also information about any police permission that needs to be taken would be helpful. If you have the pics, could you please post here?

Also I think since it is Monsoons and Godavari river has huge outflow, the brick monument became under water. I think during summer, it will be back again on the beach. Hopefully, this is not the case of global warming effects!
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 21:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Another place that I forgot mention is Yanam. It is a Union Territory and it is part of Pondicherry.

Because of the terrible traffic at Vijayawada, try to reach there during non peak times. It will be peaceful. As far as the ORR for Vijayawada is concerned, we must keep dreaming until something is done. The ORR would need to cross the Krishna River twice which will just add to the cost of the project.

I think the phenomenon is called POTU. May be different pronunciation. Since you are in Bhimavaram, could you please clarify which are the 5 Pancharama Kshetras?

By driving, did you mean you drove 30 km on the beach? I assume the entry point is Antarvedi, after 30 kms where did you exit? Did you need 4H throughout? Did you reduce tyre pressure to make the drive? I am very interested in the drive myself and I would like to know all the information. Also information about any police permission that needs to be taken would be helpful. If you have the pics, could you please post here?

Also I think since it is Monsoons and Godavari river has huge outflow, the brick monument became under water. I think during summer, it will be back again on the beach. Hopefully, this is not the case of global warming effects!
You are exactly right Himavanth,

Drive is along the beach. Take left after entering Antervedi beach and drive straight. I did not deflate my Gypsy tyres.

Don't know about police permission, I did not take any.

After 30km I turned back, as there is still a long way seen ahead. I am alone with my family so don't want to take any more risk. If u love the beach drive, drop in next time when u pass bye bhimavaram, I will take you to a breath taking beach.

Rainy season is the best season to visit. Regarding POTU you are right and I am wrong. Sorry no photos of the drive right now. But I will post them once I find them.
Old 10th August 2012, 19:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
After 30km I turned back, as there is still a long way seen ahead. I am alone with my family so don't want to take any more risk. If u love the beach drive, drop in next time when u pass bye bhimavaram, I will take you to a breath taking beach.
Thanks a lot for the offer. Could you please let me know when would be the best time to visit the beach you are talking about and also go for a beach drive like you did? I will plan accordingly and get in touch with you.
Old 10th August 2012, 21:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the offer. Could you please let me know when would be the best time to visit the beach you are talking about and also go for a beach drive like you did? I will plan accordingly and get in touch with you.

Right now its the right time (Monsoon) to visit Himivanth.

You can contact me on my mail drbones_79 @ yahoo .co . in for further details.

Will give you my contact number.
Old 13th August 2012, 19:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Right now its the right time (Monsoon) to visit Himivanth.
You can contact me on my mail drbones_79 @ yahoo .co . in for further details.
Will give you my contact number.
I will email you when I plan to come to Bhimavaram side.

While I was writing about Lepakshi in another thread, I remembered one beautiful place around Konaseema that I missed, but worth visiting.

Pattiseema: This is a Sri Veerabhadra swami temple. And it is on a Hill in middle of Godavari. It is one of the PanchKasi Kshetram. I am not sure about the other such temples.

This place is not exactly in Konaseema. It is closer to Rajahmundry.
Old 13th August 2012, 21:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I will email you when I plan to come to Bhimavaram side.
==========
This place is not exactly in Konaseema. It is closer to Rajahmundry.

Pattiseema is famous for the temple of lord Shiva.

A very famous temple on an island in River Godavari. this place is worth visiting.

Very beautiful place, but avoid it on the auspecious day of Mahasivaratri as its over crowded with piligrims and during monsoon.

Best time to visit is during the winter.
Old 1st September 2015, 01:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Day 1 (Contd): Dash to an unknown beach

At Dindi resorts, we met our hosts who would take us to Antarvedi and also treat us to a sumptuous meal!

Our route:
Haritha Resorts (Dindi) - Malkipuram - Kesavadasu palem ( Our Hosts home)

Himavanth_m .. that's an awesome collection of pics and details! Great travelogue!!
I was looking for info on Konaseema (particularly Dindi, Antarvedi, Bhimavaram side) and came across this thread.
Looks like I have gotten more than what I was looking for.

Quick question .. does Sept end/Oct start become hot on this side .. what with monsoon gotten over?
I suppose July/August would have been great here, and possibly December again would be good.
Thoughts??
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:38   #28
BHPian

Himavanth

Superb travelogue, I plan to visit during the first week of November and stay at Sterling resorts in Dindi.In fact the last photo you sent at Dindi resorts is Sterling i suppose. I am staying for 3 nights. I plan to visit Antravedi and Bheemavaram.

This is the first time I am visiting this part of the country and am not sure what places that I should visit.

I am driving from Chennai on my Fiesta, if you could let me know the places that I could visit it would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd September 2015, 20:17   #29
BHPian

Himavanth/Drbones

After going through your travelogue I feel i should leave the earlier evening from Chennai, stay overnight in Vijaywada and visit the places you mentioned.

Also could you let me know how is the road conditions from Vijaywada to Dindi through Kaikaluru, Bhimavaram, Pallakolu.

I see that an Accent joined along with you and assume its reasonably good.

Last edited by Chillout : 3rd September 2015 at 20:35.
Old 13th October 2015, 16:31   #30
BHPian

Hi, Sorry for my delayed response. I have been out for some time.

Below is my recommendation:
1. Start early from chennai
2. Reach Amaravathi temple directly (Should take around 9 hours from chennai)
3. After temple visit, stay close to Mangalagiri.
4. If possible start early next day and visit Mangalagiri temple. THen proceed to resorts via Eluru/Bhimavaram to Dindi Resorts. I am not sure if the quality is the same now ( I heard the rooms are not well maintained anymore). Visit palakollu on the way.

5. Make the resort as the base.
From here you can visit antarvedi beach (within 40 kms)
or visit draksharamam temple (80kms I think) and then to Kotupalli
or go to Coringa national park and boat ride there at Yanam. (Mangrove forests)

6. Return back

However, May I suggest an alternate plan

Day 1. Start early from Chennai. Reach Ongole. Take the road to Chirala
Reach Seabreeze resort. Spend the night and early morning beach walk (Considering you are from Chennai, you might not be too interested in this)
http://seabreeze-beachresorts.com/

Day 2. Start from chirala and take Chirala- Bapatla - Repalle - Avanigadda
(Detour to Diviseema) - to Koduru - Hamsaladeevi beach. (Krishna meets the bay of bengal here)
Head back to Avanigadda - Challapalli - Machilipatnam (Stay overnight)

Day 3: Start early and reach Dindi resorts and enjoy for 2 days before returning. Ensure that you visit Antarvedi (Place where Godavari river meets Bay of bengal) and the light house there.

Please plan according your preferred activities. I am assuming in both these plans, your drives will be hectic even though you will be travelling through some of the most beautiful locations with paddy fields.

Unless you really want to make it hectic, plan to cut out a few of the places I mentioned above.

My preference of must visit places :
1. Chirala beach resort
2. Antarvedi temple and beach
3. Coringa national park (Mangrove forest) and the boating there
4. Kotupalli temple , the drive there and Draksharamam.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Himavanth

Superb travelogue, I plan to visit during the first week of November and stay at Sterling resorts in Dindi.In fact the last photo you sent at Dindi resorts is Sterling i suppose. I am staying for 3 nights. I plan to visit Antravedi and Bheemavaram.

This is the first time I am visiting this part of the country and am not sure what places that I should visit.

I am driving from Chennai on my Fiesta, if you could let me know the places that I could visit it would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Himavanth/Drbones

After going through your travelogue I feel i should leave the earlier evening from Chennai, stay overnight in Vijaywada and visit the places you mentioned.

Also could you let me know how is the road conditions from Vijaywada to Dindi through Kaikaluru, Bhimavaram, Pallakolu.

I see that an Accent joined along with you and assume its reasonably good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Himavanth_m .. that's an awesome collection of pics and details! Great travelogue!!
I was looking for info on Konaseema (particularly Dindi, Antarvedi, Bhimavaram side) and came across this thread.
Looks like I have gotten more than what I was looking for.

Quick question .. does Sept end/Oct start become hot on this side .. what with monsoon gotten over?
I suppose July/August would have been great here, and possibly December again would be good.
Thoughts??
It will be pretty hot during October, November and December. However during December / January the evenings will be pleasant. The beauty of the place is during rains with paddy fields swaying to the winds and with light drizzle during day.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 13th October 2015 at 16:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks