Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 23:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts

Day 1
23 - July - 2012

Behind the meadows you can get into thick tree cover
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7275.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7276.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7277.jpg

A cutie pie in the meadows
Name:  DSC_7280.jpg
Views: 6585
Size:  449.1 KB

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7286.jpg

The cottage
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7296.jpg

That's the call from Fauji
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7300.jpg

HVK in a relaxed mood
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7302.jpg

We almost discussed for an hour
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7304.jpg

Clicked a grass - even grass was beautiful

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7282.jpg

What a place! Peaceful!!

continued...
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 23:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Day 1
23 - July - 2012

We ordered Lemon Soda and ended up ordering quite a few items
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7316.jpg

We left Sanasar by 12:30 PM.

A typical roof construction in those areas

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7318.jpg

Beautiful
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7320.jpg

A refill
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7322.jpg

Look at that Vehicle
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7321.jpg

Chicken and Fish Stall
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7323.jpg

We turned towards Kishtwar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7325.jpg

Road conditions towards Kishtwar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7326.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7327.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7328.jpg

continued...
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 23:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

Day 1
23 - July - 2012

The bark of this tree was beautiful
Name:  DSC_7334.jpg
Views: 5776
Size:  591.0 KB

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7335.jpg

Winding roads on the mountains - Lovely
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7329.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7339.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7340.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7344edit.jpg

Some Dam should be nearby!
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7364.jpg

Scorpio waiting for me to return

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7365.jpg

The beautiful road continued
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7336.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7338.jpg

continued...
Old 9th August 2012, 23:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Day 1
23 - July - 2012

The bridge far away is the Dodda Bridge
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7366.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7367.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7368.jpg

We will take a left to the bridge today
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7374.jpg

And after a few days of drives we will return back to this place via the right road!
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7375.jpg

The road to Kishtawar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7376.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7377.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7381.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7387.jpg

Kishtwar is another 44KM

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7384.jpg

continued...
Old 9th August 2012, 23:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Day 1
23 - July - 2012

Bus service from Dodda to Kishtwar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7392.jpg

Welcome to Kishtwar District
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7393.jpg
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7390.jpg

The roads to Kishtwar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7388.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7394.jpg

Name:  DSC_7396.jpg
Views: 5319
Size:  462.5 KB

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7398.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7400.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7402.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7404.jpg

continued...
laluks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 00:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Day 1
23 - July - 2012

Roads to Kishtwar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7410.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7415.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7419.jpg

Some township before Kishtwar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7438edit.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7451.jpg

We reached Kishtwar
- tomorrow we drive towards Killar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7452.jpg

Traffic jam in the city
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7453.jpg

What a style! Bollywood Hero
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7454.jpg

Abandoned construction
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7455.jpg

We stayed here for the night
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7457.jpg

Scorpio parked for the day!
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7456.jpg

continued...
Old 10th August 2012, 00:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Day 1
23 - July - 2012

There were no cook available there to prepare us dinner. But we were quickly made some hot tea. It was nice to catch up the gossip over hot tea. The Famous Five sat there chit chatting for a while.

By 19:00 hours we set out in search for Dinner.

Scorpio was looking cool with the setting sun's rays!
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-photo0048.jpg

We found a posh hotel, Hotel Kishtwar. Note the Merc!

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-photo0051.jpg

Information
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-photo0053.jpg

Food is mostly the flavor of big cities and not the local one. Chicken and Chapathi - I was already thinking. This drive is very different. All meals are served at the right time, that is so different of an HVK drive

By 21:00 hours we were back at our place. I crashed on to bed immediately. HVKs laptop refused to boot up. So he too retired early.

A comfortable nice drive!

Tomorrow is the challenge, the scare, the adventure, wait for the story...
Old 10th August 2012, 00:29   #53
BHPian

That's pretty good speed Lalu. The road to Kishtwar looks inviting. I guess this & ADC's travelogue would be a good reference point to travelers there.

I guess the rush of tourists in there is bad news for terrorists. With road warriors like HVK driving around they would be running for cover
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 00:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post

I guess the rush of tourists in there is bad news for terrorists. With road warriors like HVK driving around they would be running for cover
Having visited Kashmir in the worst of times, especially in the years 2003 & 2003, the State is totally transformed & seems to be on its road to recovery, judging from the normal economic activity, minimal army presence & drastic fall in bandhs, hartals & killings.

Going to a place like Kishtwar would have been unimaginable even a year ago, since the Doda-Kishtwar region was a hotbed for terrorists & saw several large-scale massacres. What we saw during our trip now was quite amazing - peace indeed appears to have returned to the Valley!
hvkumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 00:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Having visited Kashmir in the worst of times, especially in the years 2003 & 2003, the State is totally transformed & seems to be on its road to recovery, judging from the normal economic activity, minimal army presence & drastic fall in bandhs, hartals & killings.

Going to a place like Kishtwar would have been unimaginable even a year ago, since the Doda-Kishtwar region was a hotbed for terrorists & saw several large-scale massacres. What we saw during our trip now was quite amazing - peace indeed appears to have returned to the Valley!
You are spot on HVK. The majority of Kashmiris want peace in their state and are happy with tourists visiting there since tourism is a major source of income for them.

The Army, esp the Rashtriya Rifles have done a remarkable job in neutralizing the terrorists and I believe that the current administration under Omar Abdullah is doing a pretty good job.

More of tourists going in and as the locals have economic prosperity whatever little support there is for terrorists would naturally evaporate.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 09:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But RJ cops were not sleeping.
At one of the towns - Kotputli, I think - a RJ cop stopped me after seeing my MH registration number.
"Documents dikhaao", he says
"Kyon?", that is me
"Documents?"
"I am with my family, driving from Bombay to Delhi"
"Why do you want to see my documents?"
"What for should I show you my documents? I have all documents"
"But I cannot simply show you documents"

And I drove on, he was speechless of course.
Try the politician style flying kiss with a wave and drive bye.. it really works!!
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 11:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Thanks Jignesh.
Like most of you I too do work for a living. I wish I could stop working for money, but that is still a far fetched dream for me. Traveling, Photography and Writing are some of the anchoring points that I cherish in my life. I prefer it that way.
Hello Lalu,

It is indeed good to have interest in hobbies like Traveling, Photography, Writing other than working & Earning which will go on probably forever...

I always loved travelling & have also travelled a lot in past. But since last 2 years driving bug hit me (courtesy T-BHP & other sites) & I set off on a 10 day road trip, but things went awefully wrong midway. Anyways I am now gathering back confidence to undertake long road trips again.
Travelogues like these will keep on boosting my confidence.

Anyways, very lovely photographs & write-up here, please continue.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 11:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Like most of you I too do work for a living. I wish I could stop working for money, but that is still a far fetched dream for me. Traveling, Photography and Writing are some of the anchoring points that I cherish in my life. I prefer it that way.
But you know what Lalu sahab, what is envied most is that you can slam your laptop shut in the middle of a pointless meeting (eh which meeting is not anyway) and say "I'm outta here" and join Kumar sir ji on these amazing trips . It would be great to see how you did that and the priceless expression on the faces in the meeting when you walked out of. Hope there is a video of that. Please keep posting .

Quote:

+1 billion. Give the common man a decent means of livelihood with dignity and without exploitation and his empty mind will cease to be the devil's workshop. It is really reassuring to see and hear that J&K can now stake its rightful claim to this nation's prosperity. Additionally our corporates should think about expanding to these areas not in the whole hog way but reasonably sized operating units. If not manufacturing which can upset the environment but back office services in a bigger way to allow the young minds in J&K to earn a decent living.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 10th August 2012 at 11:34.
samarjitdhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 21:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to both of you, for sharing such beautiful pictures and information. Kashmir is a paradise indeed. Must visit, some of the most beautiful landscapes and nature over there. Rating this thread 5 stars right away

Quote:

Spine Chiller Drives!
Attachment 966707
Absolutely mind blowing travelogue!!! This single picture alone made my day today in the office! Superb!!

Quote:
My Scorpio, despite its 3,17,000 kms, is always ready to go
That's the only expression sir! In only 7½ years that too!! That's some incredible driving around in India. I missed meeting you in the Mumbai Pune mega meet, but next time I will surely like to meet you in person.
Old 10th August 2012, 22:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How was the car prepared for the trip?
My Scorpio, despite its 3,17,000 kms, is always ready to go, like a jet fighter scrambling at the smallest of alerts on the Indo-Pak border.
Away from the pictures that are saying more and the picturesque narration let me ask a question about the Scorpio.
Is the engine on the OE pistons and bearings? Would like to read on the maintenance log of the Scorpio if it exists in the forum.
Kudos to HVK Scorpio too.

Last edited by rajeev k : 10th August 2012 at 22:35.

Most Viewed