Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 18:56   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
It is a pity that, HVKji, you haven't learned a trade or trick from laluks, yes Click, click it is. We are missing pics here.
When I drive, I simply drive. I used to photograph & videograph extensively, but then you cannot do justice to both photography/ videography & driving. In any case, ever since my Canon EOS500 & Sony Handycam conked off some years ago, I never had any incentive to buy new camera/ handycam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
No Sir, its just that you got bored driving alone. I was not there with my arguments and silly fights over trivial photographic objects which you never allow me to click to charge you for a fight.
Yes, despite the excitement of the new route I was driving on, the fatigue factor is higher when you drive alone, nothing to break the monotony. With Lalu, we used to have debates about saving the world to how to clean camera lenses, besides discussing our old school days & pondering over economic disasters in Iceland! And the occasional tantrums & fights always helped too!!!
hvkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 19:20   #542
Senior - BHPian

SENDHWA TO BOMBAY
Aug 31

455 am: I am off from Sendhwa, relieved to be getting out of the awful hotel. Traffic has quietened down in the NH3, weather is nice, cool & pleasant, as I cross into MH.

615 am: Dhule. After the widening of NH3, it is a fast drive, even the merger of the NH6 traffic at Dhule does not cause traffic jams in the ghats beyond. I have covered 110 kms in a little over an hour.

838 am: Nashik. 30 kms approaching Nashik, the roads lose their composure & the Scorpio has to continuously zig zag in and out of construction debris occasioned by the road widening. Innumerable flyovers under construction, road width constrictions, but luckily it started raining torrentially and I encountered no traffic whatsoever. I am sure that this can be a big time-buster, especially if you are driving through Nashik in peak hour. I had a relatively pleasant ordeal.

1108 am: Thane. I am back home. From Nashik, it was a splendid drive down the ghats from Igatpuri, hardly any traffic. As usual, the Western Ghats are carpeted in green, a sight to behold. But nothing new, this route has been driven several times, no surprises.

Back home after 10 days, 6,497 kms.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 20:16   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK can do that too. He has some amazing videos of all his drives with him
Perhaps, being behind the wheel prevents him from being behind the lens.
handling a handy-cam could be easier while driving. thanks.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 12:53   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
hi maverik

my innova has run 26000kms on stock tyres. which are the best tyres for innova from yoko stable. do you get geolanders for innova size.
Hi Pravdr,

First my apologies for responding to your question after 10 days. Have been busy for a change . I did a lot of reading / researching before I changed the tyres on my Innova. I decided to try out Yokohama C drive and i also decided to upsize the tyres to 225 X 60. I have not evaluated Geolanders and am not sure about the availability for Innova. I am happy with the C drives (so far so good)
Old 7th December 2012, 17:04   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Very difficult. It is not the GC issue alone, it is the long wheelbase of the CRuze that will make it impossible for it to do some of the steeper sections and water crossings.
Kumar sir, is it really the wheel-base that matters? Is it not the over-hang? My manza has less wheel-base and less over-all length compared to the scorpio, but it would be much more difficult to negotiate a manza. The nose of the car is much ahead of its wheel, as compared to scorpio, and that will invariably hit at steep inclines. GC, ofcourse matters.
Old 9th December 2012, 14:50   #546
BHPian

Amazing Journey HVK. Just spent 2 hours going through the whole thread. Your passion for driving and travelling to such places is surely contagious. I completed my first trip to Leh on a RE this year after 5 years of planning and let me tell you it was very difficult to convince the family and most of all my Boss (My Dad). Being a good father , a good son , a good husband and a responsible entrepreneur all year round and you are still labled as a hippie in the family. Being HVK am sure would not be easy , living your passion and fulfilling your responsibilities for which you are an inspiration for many of us. Your travelogue just manage to rekindle that hippie spirit.
Old 11th December 2012, 11:37   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Kumar sir, is it really the wheel-base that matters? Is it not the over-hang? My manza has less wheel-base and less over-all length compared to the scorpio, but it would be much more difficult to negotiate a manza. The nose of the car is much ahead of its wheel, as compared to scorpio, and that will invariably hit at steep inclines. GC, ofcourse matters.
Imagine you are going on bumpy road, with crater-type surface. You will be able to manouevre your way through, say, a nasty boulder, and the car is also levitated a little, but when it starts coming down, regardless of GC, if your wheelbase is too long, it will hit somewhere in the bottom. That is why a car like Swift can do a Ladakh easily whereas a Honda Civic will find it extremely difficult. So it is not just GC, but also WB that matters.

There are also situation where the low-slung bumper & front overhang in sedans can make it extremely difficult - with the bumper getting torn off or frayed badly - when it tries to climb up steep slopes - typically when has got down to a water crossing & has to climb back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
Amazing Journey HVK. Just spent 2 hours going through the whole thread. Your passion for driving and travelling to such places is surely contagious. I completed my first trip to Leh on a RE this year after 5 years of planning and let me tell you it was very difficult to convince the family and most of all my Boss (My Dad). Being a good father , a good son , a good husband and a responsible entrepreneur all year round and you are still labled as a hippie in the family. Being HVK am sure would not be easy , living your passion and fulfilling your responsibilities for which you are an inspiration for many of us. Your travelogue just manage to rekindle that hippie spirit.
Thank You. Trips have to be planned meticulously - and that does not mean advance hotel bookings - without spoiling the fun of having a free-wheeling itinerary which should be flexible enough to accommodate extra places & extended durations.
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 12:19   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
fatigue factor is higher when you drive alone, nothing to break the monotony.
That doesn't apply when the drive is to meet "some girl".
Sorry for going off-topic!
Old 11th December 2012, 13:06   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
That doesn't apply when the drive is to meet "some girl".
Sorry for going off-topic!
Especially when you get to drive around with her in your car near one of the most prettiest lake in the world
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 13:59   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Especially when you get to drive around with her in your car near one of the most prettiest lake in the world
that was some random girl!!
comment was about my solo drive to the city of joy!
no_enthu_da is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 17:55   #551
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen the pictures. I have never seen such serious boy girl faces in a car near one of the most prettiest lake in the world. What were the glum faces all about . I am just kidding .

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
that was some random girl!!
comment was about my solo drive to the city of joy!
You were here in my city to meet a girl? Is that why you kept it a secret? When did this trip happen? Maybe we could have met up with you and the historic Baby Alto in person.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 11th December 2012 at 17:58.
Old 11th December 2012, 20:27   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
What were the glum faces all about
that's because the junta wanted the random girl to sit in their respective cars but HVK Saar put her in Baby Alto :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
You were here in my city to meet a girl? Is that why you kept it a secret? When did this trip happen? Maybe we could have met up with you and the historic Baby Alto in person.
trip happened during Dussehra. I was there from the evening of 22nd Oct. to the morning of 26th Oct.

i was on a pretty tight schedule (though I got delayed by a whole day) and would've loved to stay on a bit longer and met you and a few others. Will try and meet up on my next trip :-)

edit: secret, except that HVK Saar had a daily update on my position!

Last edited by no_enthu_da : 11th December 2012 at 20:40.
Old 8th January 2013, 16:12   #553
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Our great HV Kumar got featured in 2013 Good Year Calendar
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-307655_4679305014001_1675646853_n.jpg

Remember these pictures from this trip?
Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_7704.jpg

Cliffhanger Himachal, Hidden Kashmir and a search for Mughal Ghosts-dsc_9290.jpg

They are in the calendar too

Here's a PDF copy of the calendar
Calendar 2013 Final.pdf

Happy New Year Guys.
laluks is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 16:19   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Our great HV Kumar got featured in 2013 Good Year Calendar
Attachment 1035643

Remember these pictures from this trip?
Attachment 1035641

Attachment 1035642

They are in the calendar too

Here's a PDF copy of the calendar
Attachment 1035644

Happy New Year Guys.
I think the calendar under-states your photo of the Scorpio perched atop the abyss! The GY folks said they ran out of space to show the full cliff!!!

There is a typo in the photo - the web-site should read as www.IndiaHighways.com.

Last edited by hvkumar : 8th January 2013 at 16:20.
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 19:57   #555
Senior - BHPian

This is awesome HVK. A great tribute to a great traveller. This feature makes you an international star wandering our Indian roads and proudly a BHPian in that!

Congrats for being there and doing that and for the recognition!
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed