Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 11:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chasing the fog and the waterfalls - A weekend trip to Mahabaleshwar and Tapola

Hello SDP,

Good write up & photographs. Go to see you posting so many pictures of your XUV. The red color looks good.

Your travelogue is compelling me to book my company's holiday home at Panchgani & take my family there. I have one question - How is the drive from Wai to Panchgani & then to Mahabaleshwar? I mean are there serious Ghat sections to be covered?

I have driven quite a bit, but still I am mentally not that confident driving on Ghats, so have never tried going to Panchgani / Mahabaleshwar by Car.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 13:55   #32
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chasing the fog and the waterfalls - A weekend trip to Mahabaleshwar and Tapola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello SDP,

Good write up & photographs. Go to see you posting so many pictures of your XUV. The red color looks good.

Your travelogue is compelling me to book my company's holiday home at Panchgani & take my family there. I have one question - How is the drive from Wai to Panchgani & then to Mahabaleshwar? I mean are there serious Ghat sections to be covered?

I have driven quite a bit, but still I am mentally not that confident driving on Ghats, so have never tried going to Panchgani / Mahabaleshwar by Car.

Thanks,
Thanks Jignesh!

There are 2 ghats in this section - The Khambatki ghat is after leaving the NH4 and before Wai. The second one is the Pasarani Ghat which is after Wai and that's the final climb upto Panchgani. Both the ghats are pretty average with no special driving skills needed whatsoever. There are no steep ascents or crazy curves. Ride at a sane speed and enjoy the valley view, that's all. Have fun!

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2012 at 14:02.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 21:03   #33

excellent write-up, i really like crisp to-the-point travelogues which this is !!!
Mahabaleshwar - Panchgani trip is on my to-do things for sure and this gives me the much needed boost
OffDaBeemer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 09:33   #34
SDP
Team-BHP Support

One word of caution if you use Map My India. I know Mahabaleshwar area decently well and used MMI only as a reference. When we were headed to Kates Point (Mahabaleshwar) from Panchagani side short-cut, at a crucial T-junction, Kates Point is to the right. I knew this junction from my past visits. Its clearly marked as well. But surprisingly, the MMI advised me to take a left (which would have taken me to Old Mahabaleshwar side).

Also, if you miss a turn, sometimes the MMI device suggest you to take a U turn from the next nearest point and sometimes it just recalculates the route as per the new road that you have taken. I couldn't figure out what logic it uses to choose between suggesting a U-turn or recalculating the route.

So please use MMI as an "additional" data point. Relying on it completely might not work well.

Last edited by SDP : 21st August 2012 at 09:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks