Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 16:37   #136
BHPian

Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Excellent to say the least ! It make me nostalgic and forces me to recapitulate the days when we visited this place 16-17 years back. We were travelling from Kolkata to Vasco-da-gama via Hubli. Then we had our meter gauge railway lines in this route. We crossed Dudhsagar falls early in the morning and what a mesmerizing view to wake up with. The water from the falls were forcing inside the train compartment through the windows and drenching us with early morning shivers. Thanks everybody for the pictures and the posts. Will try to find some pictures from my end and post them.
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:06   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I was informed about the article too, I think it was published in Bangalore mirror. Let me clear a few things:...
Hey Thanks @audioholic... that clarifies... i understand that the trains going uphill may not stop at DDS but the ones going downhill are more likely to stop at DDS to check their braking.

But then... Is CLR to QLM = Uphill or is it the other way around?

Also, my query on the link http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Bengaluru-...alls?route=Car is still unanswered... Does anyone have an idea about the route shown in the aforesaid link?

If the route does exist, then one may be able to cut down on the trek part by driving closer to DDS as compared to CLR.

Will be very helpful if someone can enlighten on -
A] existence of the route,

B]the road conditions (especially whether a SUV is required or a Chevrolet Beat / WagonR can go the distance),

C] whether the road is open all through the year (if this is the sanctuary road, I read it somewhere that the sanctuary road is closed during rainy season) and

D] the Parking Facilites available there. Thnx!
Old 6th January 2013, 04:41   #138
BHPian

Stumbled upon this thread and thought of sharing my trip details.

The Plan: Three friends trek to DudhSagar from CastelRock through the forest and return along the railway track with an over night stay in an home stay.

Learning: You can go very close to the top of the falls in your car [High GC] or bike, the bad part here is there wouldn't be much water in the falls then.
The route goes from Castlerock to Kuveshi [19Kms, 10Kms of which is offroading, have attached a map] from Kuveshi village it is about 2Kms.

The Trip: 8thAug2012: Santro: Left Belgaum [Pune to Belgaum a day earlier] at 8:00 in the morning, after numerous stops for chai, breakfast at the road side tapris, reached Castlerock town at about 11:00 am.

NH4A: Belgaum - Khanapur -Ramnagar - Castlerock [Leave NH4A after about 21Km from Ramnagar, 2Kms before Anmod].

At Catlerock we met up with the Mr Redker proprietor of the home stay [Whistling thrush: 15.363322,74.351521] and followed him from castlerock to the home stay [ 6Kms].
Parked the car, fueled the stomach, met with our guide, wore our trekking gear, i.e. according to our guide, we had to remove our shoes and wear chappals so that we could see any leach that gets stuck to our legs, we put some tobacco powder too our legs to scare away the leaches and were away. We went through some pristine forest, up and down the hills, crossed fast flowing rivers on temporary wooden bridges, climbed down the hills from close to the falls and reached the railway tracks about 200mts from the falls. We took about 5 hrs to complete this distance [must have been approximately 12-14Kms. The sight of the falls left us awestruck and after spending some time we decide to head back along the tracks.

As we reached Dudhsagar station, there were people waiting for a train, the thought of walking in the dark with just one torch between us, we decided to hop on the train and reached Castlerock in 30mins. The evening trains in both directions stop at Dudhsagar, to ferry the railway workers and also for brake tests. On the train we encountered the TC, who was kind enough to let us go without any fine after hearing our story, he advised us to book return tickets from Castlerock next time as Dudhsagar station does not have a ticket window.

Later in the night, we had a bonfire, some good food and some jungle stories. We stayed overnight and left early next day, ready with plans to return next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-map.png  

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-251989_10151075620154518_87824743_n.jpg  

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-313694_10151075619024518_462029861_n.jpg  

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-552637_10151075621484518_1166003078_n.jpg  

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-625527_10151075624064518_648150419_n.jpg  

swapnilup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 15:33   #139

Awesome is the only work that came to my mind Laluks sir. stumbeled upon the TL today at 10. Cancelled one conference call and postponed a meeting to finish reading it . The pictures, the description, everything was spot on. I felt as if i was there with my wife and kids. Awesome and Thank you for what you do.
VBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 19:47   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBoss View Post
Awesome is the only work that came to my mind Laluks sir. stumbeled upon the TL today at 10. Cancelled one conference call and postponed a meeting to finish reading it . The pictures, the description, everything was spot on. I felt as if i was there with my wife and kids. Awesome and Thank you for what you do.
Thank you VBoss for your kind words.
You made my day
Old 11th November 2013, 21:42   #141
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Lalu - Excellent travelogue as usual, somehow missed reading it earlier. Awesome pictures and I'm sure you'll had a great time on this trip and kudos to you and the family's spirit for adventure

Some questions on another possible option, hoping you can help here:
Reading up on the net I came across another option, this can probably be Route 1a as it basically follows the Castle Rock Route.
Once the train crosses over to the Goa side, the first station is Caranzola where the train usually stops for a minute or more for a signal.
If one were to take the train to get to this station and then trek from there, the distance would be about 7Km which is almost half the total distance from Castle Rock to Dudh Sagar.
This is also ~5 Km less than the Kullem route. Wondering if this may then be the 'middle path' option when comparing with the full Castle Rock route and the Kullem route to reach Dudh Sagar.

Any idea of how the terrain is for a trek on this route and how it compares with the Kullem option ?

Last edited by NPV : 11th November 2013 at 21:43.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 22:14   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
if this may then be the 'middle path' option when comparing with the full Castle Rock route and the Kullem route to reach Dudh Sagar.

Any idea of how the terrain is for a trek on this route and how it compares with the Kullem option ?
If I may answer your query,
Kulem to DDS not very scenic as it is in the lower quarter of the ghats and there is not much scenery. Compared to that the upper half is steep which makes it more scenic with good views in various points, as well as those tunnel and viaduct combos where you get a glimpse of how much the British have worked for this line. This includes a lot of bridges and embankments from which the surroundings look beautiful. I would personally prefer this route compared to going uphill where you traverse along a river for the majority of distance and it is surrounded by dense forests and green cover. You get open views only from Sonaulim.

Caranzol is a station but passenger trains 'need' not stop here. It is freight trains that do stop here for technical reasons, ie to ensure that the brakes are working perfectly. By default the track points are set to derail into a mud siding. If the train fails to stop, it is taken off the tracks automatically. After it stops, the points are closed after which the train can continue on the track.

As per the station master at caranzol, not all trains stop there. Hence it will depend on the situation. Regarding how the route is, after caranzol, you will come across a massive viaduct and a couple of tunnels. Also open surroundings mean you can catch a glimpse of the forest around you. Do check out the kind of surroundings experienced by Lalu, and what we saw and you can make out the difference in how the route is.

Terrain is the same if you are hiking. The railway tracks have a small shoulder space which is walkable on. Some places this is absent so you have to walk on the tracks. Shoes are a must as sandals or slippers may sprain the ankle due to the uneven combination of sleepers, ballast and the like. If one is walking on the tracks its better to follow footsteps onto the sleepers or every alternate sleeper. Else the uneven ballast will make walking tougher. Telling this from my experience.

Last edited by audioholic : 11th November 2013 at 22:19.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 22:36   #143
Senior - BHPian

Thanks audioholic.

NPV, from another recent travelogue I infer the water levels are low and the falls are not in its full glory currently.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 15:22   #144
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread - is any one aware of the "round trip" train package available on Indian Railways from Goa to Dudh Sagar - wherein a coach is attached to a train from Vasco (~6 AM) and then detached at Dudh Sagar and on the way back again attached to some train in the noon? Read that this is the most convenient to go to Dudh Sagar and the round trip costs ~INR400 incl a meal.

I am planning to visit Dudh Sagar in Sep with my wife and hence asking. Based on earlier posts, I can infer that the best way to go to Dudh Sagar (assuming the above arrangement does not exist) is to get onto any train which will have a mandatory technical halt at Dudh Sagar and on the way back rely on the station master's assistance to hop onto a stopping train back to Goa.

I am not keen on a long trek from Castle Rock or Mollem railway stations.
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 14:13   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Bumping up an old thread - is any one aware of the "round trip" train package available on Indian Railways from Goa to Dudh Sagar - wherein a coach is attached to a train from Vasco (~6 AM) and then detached at Dudh Sagar and on the way back again attached to some train in the noon? Read that this is the most convenient to go to Dudh Sagar and the round trip costs ~INR400 incl a meal.

Hello,

If true this could be a life saver for me.

We too are visiting Goa in Sep and would love such arrangement.

I will try to find more and will keep you informed.

Can you please do the same and keep me posted.
Old 14th July 2014, 09:13   #146
Senior - BHPian

I was there last weekend. No such info was there, still the bikers rule. 750/- a bike for the trip
Old 14th July 2014, 10:17   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I was there last weekend. No such info was there, still the bikers rule. 750/- a bike for the trip
How about the water level? We are thinking of a trip in the coming weeks. Dont want to go if water levels are low.

Regarding the train there is no such option to the best of my knowledge since firstly there is no facility to attach and detach coaches in DDS and secondly from what I can infer, the railways are least willing to promote this place as a tourist spot. We are lucky they havent cordoned off the area due to too many tourists coming in line of railway ops.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:51   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
How about the water level? We are thinking of a trip in the coming weeks. Dont want to go if water levels are low.
I did not visit the falls this time, but stayed at a resort nearby. It was pouring cats and dogs through out the day, and the guys who went there seemed to be happy with the falls.
Old 15th July 2014, 14:51   #149
Senior - BHPian

A noob query to all who have been there. I have heard from many people that 4x4 vehicles are allowed to go till fall ? though when i visited a close by station last time few young chaps suggested for a bike ride (INR 500 each) and categorically mentioned that four wheelers are not allowed.
But if I take OFFROAD READY jeep/gypsy/bolero, can i reach till top or the closest point? What route should i follow ? precautions ?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 15th July 2014, 19:28   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
A noob query to all who have been there. I have heard from many people that 4x4 vehicles are allowed to go till fall ? though when i visited a close by station last time few young chaps suggested for a bike ride (INR 500 each) and categorically mentioned that four wheelers are not allowed.
But if I take OFFROAD READY jeep/gypsy/bolero, can i reach till top or the closest point? What route should i follow ? precautions ?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Theoretically you can. But you will need a vehicle that can do water crossings, that is snorkel and all that stuff in this season. There is of course a road which goes to the falls, but that remains closed during monsoons due to the water crossings, and not all have equipped vehicles to do so. Hence the bikers have told you so. So since the road is officially closed, you have only three choices - bike, a trek or try your luck with trains
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks