Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 19:48   #166
BHPian

Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

My wife and I went to Dudh Sagar Waterfalls on Sunday from Goa (we were staying in Benaulim, South Goa).. We were not keen on a long trek so we googled quite a lot and found the easiest / most convenient way of reaching the falls, which is by trains that stop at Dudh Sagar itself. As we were going on Sunday, we had the convenience of the following trains which run on Sundays (not daily services), so it is good to check with the time table / station before planning

We had planned to take the Amaravathi Express from Madgaon all the way upto Dudh Sagar and the Pune - Ernakulam Poorna Express for the way back. Both of these are weekly trains and hence planning is very important.

Onward: Goa - Dudh Sagar:

The train leaves Madgaon at 750 AM. Bought tickets upto Castle Rock at the station (Dudh Sagar is not an official stop and hence tickets need to be bought till Castle Rock) and boarded one of of the many empty sleeper coaches (the train goes all the way to Kolkata and hence many coaches have enroute quotas at Hubli etc, and hence empty till then). Paid the fare difference to the TTE. As many had indicated, almost all trains stop at all stations after Kulem for technical checks. The train passes through the waterfall and reaches Dudh Sagar station around 9 AM. Lot of folks got off the train here. From the station, it is a ~20 min walk on the track to the falls, roughly 1 km or so and passes thru 1 tunnel. Not a very tiring walk.

We inquired at the Dudh Sagar station and got a confirmation that Poorna Express was on time and would reach the station by 1120 AM. Also understood that there were no further trains for the day and hence if one misses this, the next train is at 4 AM on the next day !!!! I am sure for those travelling later, goods trains are available !

We reached the falls by 925 AM and spent over an hour here. Not much to do apart from some hiking on the track and taking snaps.. So we were done by 1030 AM and started the walk back to the station. Rchd the station by 1050 AM.

Return Dudh Sagar - Goa:

The Poorna Express arrived at 1120 AM and again, despite being an unscheduled halt, the train stopped for ~5 mins to let a few hundred people board / get down. One issue at Dudh Sagar is that they do not issue tickets. And Madgaon station does not issue return tickets, so you do not have an option but travel ticketless and either buy tickets from the TTE on the train (and get fined for ticketless travel, if he is in a foul mood) or get off at Kulem and buy tickets

We saw no TTE and hence had to choose the latter option. The train reached Kulem around 12 PM. We had figured out that there was a Kulem - Vasco passenger train at 1220 PM. As the Poorna Express was full / crowded, we bought tickets for this train, spent 10 mins at Kulem station and left Kulem by 1220 and reached Madgaon by 1310 hours.

Overall a good half day break and a convenient way to go.

Attaching a snap of the falls!!
Attached Thumbnails
Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dds.jpg  

aroonanand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 20:12   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

I had been there exactly a month back, but didnt get time to copy the pictures. It was a better view than last time and the fog was heavenly. However now the place is flooded with people

In the evening, there were nearly 1000 people waiting to board the Goa express. Due to that, the seven of us decided to take a goods train which for our good luck arrived at the same time and the two trains had to cross past. Most of the people didnt know this so we were saved

Some pictures in random order:

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc008631.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc008841.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc007781.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc007801.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc007601.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc006751.jpg

Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc006661.jpg
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 11:44   #168
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone has contact information for the Dudhsagar Spa and Resort for bookings ?
Old 26th February 2015, 12:56   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyone has contact information for the Dudhsagar Spa and Resort for bookings ?

Contact HVK, he had his last year Monsoon Drive stay organised there.

If your only interest is to visit DudhSagar Falls and return, you can as well stay in Belgaum and return back after the visit and continue back to Bangalore, will work out cheaper I guess. I did that during our visit, finished with the falls and stayed in Belgaum and started next day to Bangalore

Last edited by laluks : 26th February 2015 at 13:00.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 21:33   #170
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
If your only interest is to visit DudhSagar Falls and return, you can as well stay in Belgaum and return back after the visit and continue back to Bangalore, will work out cheaper I guess.
Is Hubli a closer/better option as compared to Belgaum ?

Last edited by NPV : 26th February 2015 at 21:36.
Old 26th February 2015, 21:44   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Hubli a closer/better option as compared to Belgaum ?
Belgaum is under 100Kms, hence the suggestion. Dharward/Hubli isn't bad either. Additional 30/50 Kms. Routes are good
Old 10th March 2015, 21:45   #172
Senior - BHPian

@NPV - Did you visit already?
Old 15th March 2015, 08:00   #173
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@NPV - Did you visit already?
No, not yet, some urgent commitments took centre stage
I'm also little apprehensive about doing this trip after this month (march) since summer will start in right earnest.
Old 15th March 2015, 08:27   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, not yet, some urgent commitments took centre stage
I'm also little apprehensive about doing this trip after this month (march) since summer will start in right earnest.
After the rains would be ideal, visiting during monsoon is another feel by itself, but probably tough with family. We did it and loved every bit of it, but wouldn't recommend generally
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 18:11   #175
Senior - BHPian

Some 4 days ago this news item caught my attention
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/48093139.cms

People pelting stones at trains since they did not stop at Dudhsagar.

Today I see this news item
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...20072015003016

Dudhsagar is now out of bounds!
Old 20th July 2015, 20:04   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some 4 days ago this news item caught my attention
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/48093139.cms

People pelting stones at trains since they did not stop at Dudhsagar.

Today I see this news item
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...20072015003016

Dudhsagar is now out of bounds!

Personally, I am happy to see this, since I was heartbroken to see so many people visiting the falls, dirtying the surroundings, getting drunk and killing themselves. Compared to the two visits we made, the number of people had spiked up like anything the last time. I hope the nature and surroundings there have been allowed to live alone without getting exploited.

The Government should allow registered trekkers along with a guide in limited numbers to go to the falls and return with prior permission.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 11:28   #177
BHPian

Shocked after reading the stories from the news links provided by Lalu. Close to 5000 people visiting Dudhsagar in the weekends is insane ! No wonder the Govt. had no option but to stop all these visitors at Castlerock and Kullem stations. Make it a trek only destination like Sabarimala(at least from July to October).
Old 11th July 2016, 22:40   #178
BHPian

bumping up the old thread !
Has anybody visited this place this year ? As per the links shared, doodhsagar was closed for tourists
Am planning to visit in the next couple of weeks, any inputs will be appreciated guys.
Old 12th July 2016, 00:39   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
bumping up the old thread !
Has anybody visited this place this year ? As per the links shared, doodhsagar was closed for tourists
Am planning to visit in the next couple of weeks, any inputs will be appreciated guys.
I visited it day before yesterday but in an unusual way, which cannot be termed as a typical ''visit''. Doodhsagar has been closed for tourists since an year and the ban continues this year too ! All one can do is catch a few glimpses of the breathtaking waterfalls from a Train and enjoy the scenic journey and thats what I resorted to doing on Sunday 10th july 2016. You can read my short report here posted yesterday - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4012594

Sorry to say but drop your plan. Goa govt. is planning a chartered train to Doodhsagar to boost tourism but God knows when will it materialise

Last year around September/October there was an official news stating that Doodhsagar has been reopened for tourists but only by availing the 100 odd forest dept. authorised Jeeps/taxis from Kulem railway station Taxi stand. Even the number of people visiting the falls per day was restricted to some figure less than 1000. In this season of full monsoons, all forests trails will be inaccessible due to overflowing rivers. So, the last I learnt from last week, access to Doodhsagar has been closed by any means strictly. Local bikers are also not allowed to ferry tourists to the spot and as a matter of fact its not possible too. Any other means is strictly illegal. But I was not surprised to see some people (less than 10 in number) resorting to illegal ways and still trekking to the spot with the help of some who seemed to me like local tourist agents.

I will update in the forum if it reopens officially in the month of Sep/Oct again like last year.

Last edited by vivek95 : 12th July 2016 at 00:56. Reason: additional content
Old 15th May 2017, 10:01   #180
Senior - BHPian

Is this for real?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/58350482.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks