Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:03   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Isn't that a Temp Reg'n. number that you are driving car with?
Yes. It is a Temporary Registration.
Any issues?
Old 24th August 2012, 05:27   #92
BHPian

Lalu Sir, this is certainly the best thread on Dudhsagar on this forum.
As usual, you have brought forth some of the most beautiful vistas.

By the way, Ive read in other forums that in a couple of kilometers along the railway track you get to see the complete falls. Didnt you try that?
MohsinRoadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 06:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Lalu Sir, this is certainly the best thread on Dudhsagar on this forum.
As usual, you have brought forth some of the most beautiful vistas.

By the way, Ive read in other forums that in a couple of kilometers along the railway track you get to see the complete falls. Didnt you try that?
No, we were not fully trekking on the tracks. We came in through the sanctuary, and the place from where we could take the picture of the full falls including all 4 layers and track was very dangerous to reach due to the flow of the water. So the guides advised against it.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:59   #94
BHPian

Awesome pictures and excellent narration.

Voted a well deserved 5 stars! I think the pics on their own deserve a 5 star rating.

Lalu, your wife and kids are really brave, it scares me looking at the pics of them wading across the high current streams!
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 13:38   #95
BHPian

Hi,
We are planning to do a trek from Castle Rock to Dudh Sagar on 9/1.
(1) Is the treak all along the railway track? If yes, is it safe to walk along the track (including tunnel)?
(2) Do I need to trek to fall or it is from railway line we can get the view?

Thanks in advance for any information.
chel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 13:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Awesome pictures and excellent narration.

Voted a well deserved 5 stars! I think the pics on their own deserve a 5 star rating.

Lalu, your wife and kids are really brave, it scares me looking at the pics of them wading across the high current streams!
Thanks vasanthn21 for the 5 stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
Hi,
(1) Is the treak all along the railway track? If yes, is it safe to walk along the track (including tunnel)?
(2) Do I need to trek to fall or it is from railway line we can get the view?

Thanks in advance for any information.

1 . Trek is along the railway tracks. Seems safe to do so, seen many people on the day I was there doing that.
2. The water falls can be seen from the tracks, but for a full layered view including the track you might have to check the strategic locations little beyond the tracks. At some turning in the track you can see the full falls from an angle too.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:40   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
Hi Chel,
How is your trip to and from Castle Rock planned? Do you plan to trek back from Dudh Sagar or catch evening train?
Regarding your question 1- I had read few travelouges about treck to DudhSagar out side TBHP, no where they had mentioned anything which hints walking on tracks can be unsafe. Well apart from fact that you should be on look out for trains always and the other fact that it is illegal to walk in railway property since its amounts to tresspassing.
However one point I remember from a post is if a train pass while you are inside a tunnel, take off your back pack and sit down with your face towards tunnel wall. This is a precautionary method to avoid you hitting any open doors of (goods) train which may be swinging out.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:47   #98
BHPian

Thanks Laluks.
mpksuhas-> We are going to stay in Belgam on 8/31 and 9/1 monring we will take a cab to reach Castle rock to start the trek.
Thanks for your tips on inside tunnel. We will follow the same.
chel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 14:51   #99
BHPian

Laluks,
This is a master piece of a travelogue , I gave it 5 star rating!
I want to do this one day, and since you are in Bangalore will seek inputs from you.
srikrishna717 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 22:33   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
Laluks,
This is a master piece of a travelogue , I gave it 5 star rating!
I want to do this one day, and since you are in Bangalore will seek inputs from you.
Sure srikrishna, anytime. Just PM me
Old 28th August 2012, 15:13   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic trip, fantastic pictures too! After seeing this thread, my trip to Dudhsagar came nearer to execution, as all these days it was just a thought. Planning to go by train to experience Braganza Ghats. Kindly clarify the following:

1. Leeches: I know they don't hurt, but what did you do to avoid them? I hate to see them on my body and removing them is a tough task. So any idea on how they can be avoided?

2. Someone mentioned about king cobras. The last thing I would like to do in my life is to run into a King Cobra, that too during the breeding season. After seeing them in Agumbe, I really dont want a wild encounter. I am not sure if it is in that region, as mostly it is found near Agumbe. Is the place safe enough? I would prefer to take a route that is much frequented by travelers in order to avoid such occurrences.

3. Any place to eat or is there any shop or other establishment?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 15:22   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Fantastic trip, fantastic pictures too! After seeing this thread, my trip to Dudhsagar came nearer to execution, as all these days it was just a thought. Planning to go by train to experience Braganza Ghats. Kindly clarify the following:

1. Leeches: I know they don't hurt, but what did you do to avoid them? I hate to see them on my body and removing them is a tough task. So any idea on how they can be avoided?

2. Someone mentioned about king cobras. The last thing I would like to do in my life is to run into a King Cobra, that too during the breeding season. After seeing them in Agumbe, I really dont want a wild encounter. I am not sure if it is in that region, as mostly it is found near Agumbe. Is the place safe enough? I would prefer to take a route that is much frequented by travelers in order to avoid such occurrences.

3. Any place to eat or is there any shop or other establishment?
1. We did not do anything. We did not even carry salt or any deterrents. We had leech attacks, probably one or two at the max. After our trip to Gavi we know how to pluck them away! Also the bikers were skilful at that.

2. I have no clue to avoid them. We did not know about them, and we did this trek happily. I guess Ignorance was bliss. Please stick to the tracks to be on a cautious side. On a different note, if the place was dangerous why would the bikers agree to come with us. They are from that place and hope they wont risk their life for quick money I guess.

3. We never searched for an eatery, so I have no definite leads for this. Collem must have some small shops I feel.
Old 28th August 2012, 15:37   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
1. We did not do anything. We did not even carry salt or any deterrents. We had leech attacks, probably one or two at the max. After our trip to Gavi we know how to pluck them away! Also the bikers were skilful at that.
The easiest way is to just rub on the Odomos cream or even the sprays (Moov, Iodex etc) will help keep them off you. But the only problem is that since it will be raining and the cream/spray will be washed away, you may have to rub/spray frequently.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
2. I have no clue to avoid them. We did not know about them, and we did this trek happily. I guess Ignorance was bliss. Please stick to the tracks to be on a cautious side. On a different note, if the place was dangerous why would the bikers agree to come with us. They are from that place and hope they wont risk their life for quick money I guess.
King Cobras are found all over the Western Ghats. Supposedly Agumbe has the highest density, but they are found in most places in the Western Ghats.

More than the King Cobras, it is the Vipers that you have to watch out for. KCs move out of the way if they sense any humans approaching them, but Vipers do not, as they rely more on camouflage to escape from predators and to hunt their prey.
Old 28th August 2012, 15:42   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
Would like to add to what laluks mentioned:
1. Wearing covered footwear will help in avoiding leech attack to an extent. However the drawback is you wont notice it easly if it does. I had been bitten by around five leeches in a time frame of around half hour eventhough I was wearing shoe/ sock / jeans. So you can not avoid it, only may be minimize the count. Carry salt with you and apply the same on leech to remove it. Also, stop and check every ten mins or so if you are walking through wet land.
2. King Cobras are the only snake that make nest, they do that by pulling together dead leaves on floor by their body. They lay egg in that and protect those with their life. First tip on avoiding an encounter with King Cobra is to avoid heap of dry leaf which is on floor. However I dont think Cobras will nest around railway tracks frequented by train and people due to vibration. But yes, better to be on lookout.
3. My colleague travelled to Dudh Sagar last weekend and they (group of 8) stayed at a place called as Dudh Sagar adventrue club. I had seen the picture of place and its a dormitory type place with bunker beds in two rooms each having capacity of 12. They serve food too. The place looked neat, however it is not suitable only for family travel I felt. May be you can check with them for having a food only option if you dont need a place for night.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 15:49   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^

3. My colleague travelled to Dudh Sagar last weekend and they (group of 8) stayed at a place called as Dudh Sagar adventrue club. I had seen the picture of place and its a dormitory type place with bunker beds in two rooms each having capacity of 12. They serve food too. The place looked neat, however it is not suitable only for family travel I felt. May be you can check with them for having a food only option if you dont need a place for night.
Yes I remember seeing the route to this place.

From the place I parked the Aria, where we saw the trains, it was 1 or 2 Kilometers to this place through a muddy road.

This club is a bit away from the station, if you are looking out for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks