Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 13:08   #46
BHPian

Re: Dudh Sagar Falls, Goa - A Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Laluks,
Sir thanks for TL. Amazing pics and great details. It comes out at the apt time for me! I was planning for a trek to Dudhsagar from Castle rock sometime next week. I was scouting the internet for all sorts of details. And here is your TL with all the details I would need for planning this trip. Thank you very much.
I have a few queries
(1) If I read it correctly this is the route you took to reach Castle rock
Bangalore-Hubli-Kittur-Khanapur-Castle rock.
(2) I will be traveling in my Punto. From your pics it looks like i will have no problems what so ever with the road. Am I right?
(3)Did you find any place in castle rock where one can park car safely till we finish the trek and get back?
(4)Is there are any facility at Castle rock to freshen up?

Once again thank you very much for this TL. Rated 5 stars!
Old 16th August 2012, 13:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Super laluji!!! Castle Rock and the roads leading to it look so GREEN!!!! Dudh Sagar looks fabulous. You have given me an idea now. Maybe I can try to do a trek to Dudh Sagar sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. Let see.

I too was expecting good rains when I took out the Aria for my trip. But unluckily, it was a dry spell at that time and had to miss out. The Aria is a very good vehicle especially on bad roads. I had been to Kabini and the last 10 kms of bad road was a breeze with this car. If only Tata had priced it a bit less, you would see more of them on the roads.
Old 16th August 2012, 13:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
Laluks,
Sir thanks for TL. Amazing pics and great details. It comes out at the apt time for me! I was planning for a trek to Dudhsagar from Castle rock sometime next week. I was scouting the internet for all sorts of details. And here is your TL with all the details I would need for planning this trip. Thank you very much.
I have a few queries
(1) If I read it correctly this is the route you took to reach Castle rock
Bangalore-Hubli-Kittur-Khanapur-Castle rock.
(2) I will be traveling in my Punto. From your pics it looks like i will have no problems what so ever with the road. Am I right?
(3)Did you find any place in castle rock where one can park car safely till we finish the trek and get back?
(4)Is there are any facility at Castle rock to freshen up?

Once again thank you very much for this TL. Rated 5 stars!
(1) - Yes, the route was similar, instead of Kittur I went a bit further as I missed the exit from NH.
(2) No issues - any car can do this. Beware of the shoulder height at some locations.
(3) Near the station I found some place - peaceful. I guess your car will be safe there.
(4) I found a building with lots of rooms, was called Running Rooms - but looked deserted. I guess you can freshen up from the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Super laluji!!! Castle Rock and the roads leading to it look so GREEN!!!! Dudh Sagar looks fabulous. You have given me an idea now. Maybe I can try to do a trek to Dudh Sagar sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. Let see.
Thanks addy. Go for it, the place is simply WOW!
Old 16th August 2012, 13:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Thanks for sharing. This is a wonderfull log. I am doing this trek this moth end but will be trekking from Castle rock to Dudhsagar, hence have a question.

We would be reaching Castle rock at around 0400 hrs. We plan to start our journey to Dudhsagar on foot at day break. I was wondering if there are any restaurants around castle rock that will be able to give us some packed snacks/lunch?

Regards
Old 16th August 2012, 13:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Hi, Thanks for sharing. This is a wonderfull log. I am doing this trek this moth end but will be trekking from Castle rock to Dudhsagar, hence have a question.

We would be reaching Castle rock at around 0400 hrs. We plan to start our journey to Dudhsagar on foot at day break. I was wondering if there are any restaurants around castle rock that will be able to give us some packed snacks/lunch?

Regards
I did not find any near the station and outside. I never specifically searched for one, but none were obvious there.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 13:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Laluks sir, superb! another 5 star thread! Its raining in Western India and raining 5 star threads with awesome photographs of the moonsoon in TBHP. Lovely family! Well, when I was on my trip to goa, I did see some trekkers coming up and have heard from IRFCA forum that people trek all the way to Dhudhsagar from Castle rock by foot.

1. What's your take on this? Is it possible? Are there any trekking routes? Well people of my age/deky sirs' would love to trek and not ride(given the tussle between railways and the bikers) I see that one can easily follow(walk) the route used by the bikers all the way till the Sanctuary. Correct?

2. How about the trek till the Dhudhsagar? From the pictures, I see that you people where on normal footwear. So, is it advisable to have mountain boots?

Thanks.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 13:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Laluks sir, superb! another 5 star thread! Its raining in Western India and raining 5 star threads with awesome photographs of the moonsoon in TBHP. Lovely family! Well, when I was on my trip to goa, I did see some trekkers coming up and have heard from IRFCA forum that people trek all the way to Dhudhsagar from Castle rock by foot.

1. What's your take on this? Is it possible? Are there any trekking routes? Well people of my age/deky sirs' would love to trek and not ride(given the tussle between railways and the bikers) I see that one can easily follow(walk) the route used by the bikers all the way till the Sanctuary. Correct?

2. How about the trek till the Dhudhsagar? From the pictures, I see that you people where on normal footwear. So, is it advisable to have mountain boots?

Thanks.
1. There are 4 possibilities as I have detailed out in my second post in the log. In Monsoon you have only two choices, either trek from Castle Rock station or trek /ride from Collem station. Both are through the railway tracks and tunnels and bridges. Possible to do. Castle Rock to Dudh Sagar is 14KMs and Collem to Dudh Sagar is 11KM via the railway tracks.

2 . Good to have formal gear, but since we are riders and not trekkers we were in our comfort foot wears
Old 16th August 2012, 14:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
In all probability, if the issue between the bikers and railway authorities are not sorted out - the bike ride will be ruled out.

Regarding the train ride, the information I have confirmed from the source is there is a train at 10:15 on a Saturday from Castle Rock, and return by 17:30. But I am not sure is the return from DudhSagar, I was told the train used to stop for a minute or so. Where to get the tickets - you will have to figure out. Possible - but do collect more information. Better will be to find a phone number of Castle Rock station master and talk to him. He is happy about the attention he is getting already

No entrance tests. But more stricter selection process. First you should survive three drives of 20 days duration in HVK's team. If you do, then consider yourself trained well

Stick to route 2. I have not entered NH4A from Belgaum but before that through some village routes. Khanapur to Mollem is the NH4A. Normal SH road, but twisty and slippery and almost all vehicles are fast here.

Regarding time Castle Rock to Dudh Sagar parking 1 hour
From near Khanapur to Castle Rock -1.5 hours with photo stops breaks etc.

I'll try to upload the GPS trail by evening.
Thanks Laluks. When i tried to Google, there was information about a train tour complete with breakfast and Lunch starting from Vasco and touching Madgaon. Maybe i will do this when i do my traditional south Goa trip.

If any of you are aware of this tour, please provide your comments / feedback

This is from the webpage Trains in Goa, Goa Train - "There are also a host of local trains in Goa that shuttle between the North and South districts. Dudhsagar Rail Tours, provides a rail tour to Dudhsagar Waterfalls. The train departs from Vasco Railway Station at 6.40 in the morning and arrives at Margao station at 7.25 a.m. The train halts at Sanvordem, and Collem stations, before reaching Dudhsagar at 9.15 am. The train returns from Dudhsagar at 2.30p.m. The carrying capacity of the coach is 108 seats. The fare is Rs 400, which is inclusive of breakfast and lunch".
MaverikMahesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 16:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Thanks Laluks. When i tried to Google, there was information about a train tour complete with breakfast and Lunch starting from Vasco and touching Madgaon. Maybe i will do this when i do my traditional south Goa trip.

If any of you are aware of this tour, please provide your comments / feedback

This is from the webpage Trains in Goa, Goa Train - "There are also a host of local trains in Goa that shuttle between the North and South districts. Dudhsagar Rail Tours, provides a rail tour to Dudhsagar Waterfalls. The train departs from Vasco Railway Station at 6.40 in the morning and arrives at Margao station at 7.25 a.m. The train halts at Sanvordem, and Collem stations, before reaching Dudhsagar at 9.15 am. The train returns from Dudhsagar at 2.30p.m. The carrying capacity of the coach is 108 seats. The fare is Rs 400, which is inclusive of breakfast and lunch".
I am completely unaware of this information, but if this really is possible - then it is the best option for family trippers to the falls
Old 16th August 2012, 16:55   #55
BHPian

Laluks,

A real timely t-log you brought up here as I am about to do it probably next weekend. I might trouble you with some questions, hope you won't mind.

Needless to say, fantastic pics, narration and detail. Excellent, rated 5 stars.
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 17:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

What a fantastic travelogue, as always. And hats off to you that within a couple of days of coming back, you've sorted out all the pictures, compiled a TL, uploaded it with information on the history, narrations what not. All this while when you are also side by side updating the 'Ciffhanger Himachal TL' too. Really admirable.
I've bookmarked this TL for future reference when I'll visit Goa.
Very Well deserved 5 star thread.
Cheers
harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 17:45   #57
ECM
BHPian

* I wouldn't dare to enter in such high current water with my family members sp.ladies n kids.You dared it-dunno wether I call you a braveman or....
* Whole area which you have travelled is being ruled by King Cobra and monsoon is their mating season,feel fortunate that you saw none(I presume),King Cobra's bite can take life of a full size Elephant within hours.
Lovely snaps with details,kudos to you pal.
ECM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 18:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Laluks,

A real timely t-log you brought up here as I am about to do it probably next weekend. I might trouble you with some questions, hope you won't mind.

Needless to say, fantastic pics, narration and detail. Excellent, rated 5 stars.
No problems. Please ask as many questions as you like.
I am off to another trip tomorrow, so if it is this weekend then I might not be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
What a fantastic travelogue, as always. And hats off to you that within a couple of days of coming back, you've sorted out all the pictures, compiled a TL, uploaded it with information on the history, narrations what not. All this while when you are also side by side updating the 'Ciffhanger Himachal TL' too. Really admirable.
I've bookmarked this TL for future reference when I'll visit Goa.
Very Well deserved 5 star thread.
Cheers
Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
* I wouldn't dare to enter in such high current water with my family members sp.ladies n kids.You dared it-dunno wether I call you a braveman or....
* Whole area which you have travelled is being ruled by King Cobra and monsoon is their mating season,feel fortunate that you saw none(I presume),King Cobra's bite can take life of a full size Elephant within hours.
Lovely snaps with details,kudos to you pal.
I believe that we are all just part of a bigger scheme ...
In his famous work Man's Search For Meaning, which is one of the best works that could have happened, Victor E Frankl says "Fear makes come true that which one is afraid of...”
Old 16th August 2012, 18:32   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
No problems. Please ask as many questions as you like.
I am off to another trip tomorrow, so if it is this weekend then I might not be available.
Man, do you even stay at home ? Oh, I guess the saying serves you right, 'Road is my home', ain't it ?

Good Luck and I wish we get another t-log soon. Anyway, I would pm you with my questions, you can take ur time to respond once you're back from the trip as they will be basic questions on roads, accomodation and other things.

Thanks
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 18:40   #60
BHPian

A really awesome travelogue!! And breathtaking photographs! And lucky you! You got an Aria for the Trip!! Really enjoyed reading! Enjoyed the videos too!

Dudhsagar is a trip planned for the next Goa trip. Surely will refer to your travelogue before going!

Cheers.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks