Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 16:16   #1
BHPian

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele

Independence day, saw the parade and wished people, and all of a sudden didn't know what else to do for the rest of the day. So surfed around for a while and found Manchanbele dam which is just a stone's throw distance from Bangalore.

Decided to go there, at just the right time to catch the sunset. Got together a couple of friends, and nagged them to start. We decided to start at 3, so that we could spend enough time at the dam / reservoir. The week before this I had gone to Panchanpalli dam, and didn't find any water there, so I'd decided that it will be a similar case here too. Maybe little more, but not the full reservior like the one you would find at KRS dam in Mysore.

My friend at a bit of work at Chamrajpet, so we decided to finish that first. So stupidly went on the Hosur road, not realizing that flower show was going on at Lal Bagh. Got stuck in utterly nonsense traffic till Minerva circle till 4 30 - 5 PM.

Finally galloped off into the Mysore road. Thankfully there was no traffic. Crossed Bangalore limits, crossed Raja Rajeshwari Dental college and turned right into the road which takes you to Big Banyan tree.

Stopped off at a small shop and asked for directions. Finally reached the dam at around 5:30 with just about half an hour to spare with daylight. Had an SLR, but still I am not a fan of taking photos in high ISO levels :(

Some photos from the trip.

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0055mz.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0057vr.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0060zk.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0062fos.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0063yg.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0064snl.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0066vv.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0067fx.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0069km.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0071dz.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0076iz.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0077dh.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0080xye.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0083it.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0084dd.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0085ar.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0087urj.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0092yd.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0094dl.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0095of.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0100wp.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0101qe.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0098ok.jpg

A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele-dsc0102ll.jpg

On the way back, saw a couple of bike accidents. No one was seriously injured, but just shows how dangerous bikes are when mixed with fast moving cars and trucks. And I have a feeling liquor is there in the mix somewhere as well.

All in all, a very good trip, was pleased at the serenity of the place, and the calm cool water.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 16:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: A lazy afternoon drive to Manchanbele

Nice narration and pics to go with it. Very scenic place. Surprisingly, there seems to be quite a bit of water in the reservoir. One of my friends had been there last June and he said that water levels were very low.
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 16:32   #3
BHPian

Thanks, I was surprised at the water levels too. It was pleasing to see so much water, and it was a pleasure to get close to the water.

Did you know fact: There is an army camp very near the dam where the soldiers practice rowing and kayaking. (beginner level of course :P )
Old 17th August 2012, 16:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

You were allowed to get near the water? Off late, I had heard that you were not allowed to get near the water. The last time I had been (passed by) there, I was not allowed to go down to the water by policemen who had put up a barricade.

Looks like the dam has a decent amount of water.
Old 17th August 2012, 17:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige
You were allowed to get near the water? Off late, I had heard that you were not allowed to get near the water. The last time I had been (passed by) there, I was not allowed to go down to the water by policemen who had put up a barricade.

Looks like the dam has a decent amount of water.
Oh is it? There wasn't any policeman anywhere. And no one said anything too. Army jawans smiled at us and walked off too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks