Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 12:05   #61
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: An unplanned long-weekend trip to Bhandardara-Igatpuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello SDP,
Thank you for sharing beautiful pictures of Igatpuri & surrounding places. It was nice following your travelogues to Igatpuri & Panchgani. You have motivated me enough to visit these places soon.
Thank YOU Jignesh! In fact, it is people like you who read, share and get inspired, make the whole pain of writing a travelogue worthwhile. Don't want to sound cribity here, but for the 3 day trip, it took me almost 3 weeks to filter the hundreds of images, process them, group them and weave a narration around them.
Hopefully with practice I would get efficient with image processing and writing.

Thanks again!

Quote:
We are now waiting for your travelogue of trip to Kass this month & hope your waitlist number is confirmed.
I have a confirmed registration for Wednesday 19th Sep. So the trip is on!

By the way, (even at the risk of sounding like I am shamelessly promoting my own travelogues), when you have time, do check out my experience at Kaas last year.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sterpiece.html
It covers Kaas, Bamnoli, Sajjangad, Chalkewadi windmills and Thoseghar waterfall at Satara.

Also, my first attempt at a travelogue:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html
It covers Thoseghar, Kolhapur and Gokak Falls.
Enjoy!

Quote:
Regarding Global Pagoda at Gorai,

Thank you for the appreciation.

Yes. Global Pagoda at Gorai is must visit for any Mumbaikar.
Directions:
On the Western Express Highway cross Dahisar Check Naka & take a left turn into Mira Bhayander Road. Continue on the Mira-Bhayander road & cross the Railway over bridge to reach Bhayendar west. Just ask for directions for Uttamn Road / Gorai / Esselworld & you will soon pass through beautiful country roads of Gorai Village. Once you reach cross Esselworld parking take a right turn & just wait for glimpse of magnificient Pagoda & it will be a sight to behold. You will definitely be surprised to see the place once you reach there.

You may also take your kids Gorai or Uttan Beach whic are quite closeby. Of which Gorai Beach falls right on the route to Global Pagoda.

Below is the google Maps directions to Global Pagoda from Malad West (my residence).

Thanks,
hey .. thanks for the details. Once you have details, making the plans becomes that much more easy. Would definitely go there soon.
Old 9th September 2012, 22:22   #62
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Future plans for the area

The Bhandardara-Igatpuri area has so much to offer. Just making a list here (of places that we didn't cover) so that the next time, I can plan for it.

1. Trek to Ratangad
2. Agasti Rishi Ashram (Bhandardara)
3. Umbrella falls (when the Wilson-dam gates are open)
4. Spill-way fall (when the spill-way gates are open)
5. Trek to Harishchandra gad
6. Shivtirth Tekad (Jatayu temple) (Bhandardara)

7. Trambkeshwar Jyotirling temple (60km from Igatpuri)
8. Upper Vaitarna Dam (25kms from Igatpuri)
9. Devbandh Ganesh Temple (Natural forest view) (35 kms from Igatpuri)
10. Talegain dam and waterfalls (Igatpuri)
11. Camel Valley (Igatpuri)
12. Five waterfalls (Igatpuri)
13. Trainglewadi Fort and dam
14. Khodala (~25 kms from Igatpuri)
15. Jawahar (~60 kms from Igatpuri)

Its a long list. Practically impossible to cover in a weekend trip.
Let me see if I can squeeze in at least one more day-trip to Igatpuri this monsoon season to cover at least a few places from the list.
Otherwise, there is always the next year!

Last edited by SDP : 9th September 2012 at 22:26.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 14:17   #63

Re: Future plans for the area

Lovely pics SDP. Just love the greens around Igatpuri. Incidentally, I hapenned to be in Bhandardara around the same time as you. Was staying at the MTDC. I could spot my humble little Estilo in one of the MTDC pics you posted.

Do try out Jawhar next time. Am planning for a re-visit this year to Bhandardara to see the Spillway falls - it should be overflowing by now.

Cheers
Nilesh
M@ndr@ke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 08:40   #64
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@ndr@ke View Post
Lovely pics SDP. Just love the greens around Igatpuri. Incidentally, I hapenned to be in Bhandardara around the same time as you. Was staying at the MTDC. I could spot my humble little Estilo in one of the MTDC pics you posted.

Do try out Jawhar next time. Am planning for a re-visit this year to Bhandardara to see the Spillway falls - it should be overflowing by now.

Cheers
Nilesh
Hey, what a coincidence!
That red Estilo yours?

Bhandardara is addictive and is even tempting me for a revisit.
A marathi daily Sakaal had the following photo of the randha falls on its FB page yesterday:
An unplanned long-weekend trip to Bhandardara-Igatpuri-260158_10151057051841973_1709064663_n.jpg

The newspaper mentioned that the photo has been taken on Sunday 9th Sep. Just look at that. That's possibly 10 times bigger than what we saw on that day. Apparently the dam is full and gates were open.

Jawahar is on the cards. Are you aware of any decent stay options there? Or is it more of a day trip?

Last edited by SDP : 11th September 2012 at 08:42.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 09:56   #65
BHPian

Jawahar is on the cards. Are you aware of any decent stay options there? Or is it more of a day trip?[/quote]

We stayed at Sunset Point Resort when we visited Jawahar, They have day picnic options too . The rooms are not too great and some cottages do leak. They have a swimming pool. The food is good and a buffet. Cost us 1200 per person for an overnight stay with food.

I found it better than some of the other places we checked.
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 14:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

The Bhandardara-Igatpuri area has so much to offer. Just making a list here (of places that we didn't cover) so that the next time, I can plan for it.
11. Camel Valley (Igatpuri)
15. Jawahar (~60 kms from Igatpuri)
!
Regarding Jawhar, the only resort available is sunset resort where my friend has been some 4 years back and he said it was okish. I had been to Jawhar some 3 years back and couldnt find any decent accomodation (didnt opt for sunset resort as it was not fitting our budget then). Hence it would be better to book the resort and go instead of wasting time looking out as you wont find any to your satisfaction and not worth taking the risk since you would be travelling with your family. We were a bunch of bachelors so we stayed in a dark dingy hotel just for the night (pretty cheap at 300 per room for 5 people) but that was then.

Regarding Camel Valley. I should inform you that this is a very treacherous trek. I had one of the most horrifying time of my life and that too, all thaks to the stupidity. Not meaning to hijack your thread but i need to narrate my experience on Camel Valley.

5 of us headed to Igatpuri on a saturday morning, i guess this was in 2008. We parked on the opposite side of Manas Resort out side a small shop and ordered omlette to be made. We wanted some more so the shop owner left in his cycle to get some more eggs. Meanwhile one of us went a bit offroad on the grassy patch and could see the waterfall (the waterfall cannot be seen from the highway). So in a hurry we just locked the car, forgot about the omlette and just took off to reach to the waterfall. And in the excitement, we also forgot to carry water (biggest mistake). We trekked down to the waterfall slowly, it took us nearly 2 1/2 hours to reach there (trek is of average difficulty). There was not a soul in sight, all we could hear was birds chirping and yes, i was a bit spooked hoping there are no wild animals. We enjoyed under the waterfall and in the natural pond that the fall had created. It was time to return. Meanwhile, whenever we felt thirsty, we had to drink the running water flowing down a small stream or so. Now for the even stupid part. We were dressed in shorts, tshirts and chappals, yes chappals. The valley is a V shaped valley and we had trekked all the way down. While going back, one genius decides to climb up, no ropes, no support, just plain rock and this was in the monsoons, but thakfully it didnt rain that day. After reaching up he realised that it was just a part of the climb and a lot more was left but he couldnt communicate it to us as he was way up and his voice couldnt reach us and there was no way he could climb down . So the remaining 4 of us had to climb that rocky patch, it was pretty steep and to make it even more horrifying, all that was there to grip was snake holes (i still shiver thinking of that). Climb we did using those holes as grip and reached up to realise that this was a short cut, ok, but only part of it. There was still a lot more ground to cover. Dusk was approaching, it started raining and we were stuck as now it was even steeper with loose soil and nothing to grip. 2 amongst somehow went up ahead and we couldnt see or hear them after sometime. i was dead tired and couldnt take it further. Had to spend nearly an hour taking support against a tree. Then the 3 of us decided to take it on and went for it. We had to dig into the soil with our fingers and were crawling on our bellies like worms, struggling each minute to pull ourselves up. Finally we could see some light after all the dense vegetation. We look up to find our 2 pals with the Omlette shop owner waiting for us with a real long bamboo to pull us up.
They had got some biscuits and water. We got scolded and verbally abused real bad by the shop owner for runing away in the morning without asking the locals. He said there are wild animals, especially wild boars with those deadly tusks out there and that they dont spare anyone plus many accidents have happened in that valley so there is this fear of spirits.

From then till now, me and friends always think of going back, but properly equipped as there is another way to climb down directly to the waterfall as informed by the locals but till date that time has not come.

My long narration is for all of you who google 'Camel Valley', see some nice trek pictures and then reach there, get mesmerised by the waterfall and just get going. Dont be hasty, plan it well, take loads of water and stuff to eat and get a good number of people to go as a bigger group.

We were stupid but luckily lived to share this.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 15:09   #67

Quote:
A marathi daily Sakaal had the following photo of the randha falls on its FB page yesterday:

Jawahar is on the cards. Are you aware of any decent stay options there? Or is it more of a day trip?
Great ! that is how I have always wanted to see Randha Falls. Everytime I have visited, it has been just 5-10% of its maximum capacity, all due to the small dam just before the drop (also seen from Google Maps). If this picture of the falls is recent one then another trip this weekend is on the cards for sure

At Jawhar, we had stayed at Hotel Sankalp (as no bookings were available at the Sunset Point Resort), which is very basic, but managed by a good person. He was very accomodating considering the circumstances in which we visited him. Keeping in mind the same, I would just like to sound off a small warning - i.e to avoid Jawhar if there is any news of heavy rainfall in the area, as I have been the victim last year - of a flash flood that submerged many roads leading back to Mumbai. Otherwise it is a lovely and untouched place to visit.
M@ndr@ke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 15:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a confirmed registration for Wednesday 19th Sep. So the trip is on!
Hello SDP,

That is good news to know that you are scheduled to go to Kass on 19th September. So you are making the most of available holidays. As your family missed Kaas last time, hope this time they enjoy the same. I am sure your kids will be astonished on seeing so many flowers around them.

I also read your Kaas travelogue & as usual the photographs are brilliant especially the final 12 macors.

Wish you a nice & safe drive to Kaas & waiting to see another wonderful set of pictures of Kaas & your Duma.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 15:39   #69
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Regarding Jawhar, the only resort available is sunset resort where my friend has been some 4 years back and he said it was okish. I had been to Jawhar some 3 years back and couldnt find any decent accomodation (didnt opt for sunset resort as it was not fitting our budget then). Hence it would be better to book the resort and go instead of wasting time looking out as you wont find any to your satisfaction and not worth taking the risk since you would be travelling with your family. We were a bunch of bachelors so we stayed in a dark dingy hotel just for the night (pretty cheap at 300 per room for 5 people) but that was then.
Thanks for the accommodation tip for Jawhar (Thanks for the correct spelling as well ).
Is it doable in a day (from Mumbai)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Regarding Camel Valley. I should inform you that this is a very treacherous trek. I had one of the most horrifying time of my life and that too, all thaks to the stupidity. Not meaning to hijack your thread but i need to narrate my experience on Camel Valley.

... We trekked down to the waterfall slowly, it took us nearly 2 1/2 hours to reach there (trek is of average difficulty). ...

We got scolded and verbally abused real bad by the shop owner for runing away in the morning without asking the locals. He said there are wild animals, especially wild boars with those deadly tusks out there and that they dont spare anyone plus many accidents have happened in that valley so there is this fear of spirits.

My long narration is for all of you who google 'Camel Valley', see some nice trek pictures and then reach there, get mesmerised by the waterfall and just get going. Dont be hasty, plan it well, take loads of water and stuff to eat and get a good number of people to go as a bigger group.
Again, thanks for sharing your experience - quite a scary one at that! Glad that it ended well.
Will take care and plan appropriately if we venture down at all.

BTW, any idea why its called as the camel valley?

Last edited by SDP : 11th September 2012 at 15:55.
Old 11th September 2012, 16:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the accommodation tip for Jawhar (Thanks for the correct spelling as well ).
Is it doable in a day (from Mumbai)?

Again, thanks for sharing your experience - quite a scary one at that! Glad that it ended well.
Will take care and plan appropriately if we venture down at all.

BTW, any idea why its called as the camel valley?
Jawhar is doable in a day. You mainly have the massive Dhabosa Waterfall. Its humongous and you have an old palace belonging to some 'Mr Kokane' who was kind of king sort of person in olden days. Apart from that, there isnt much in my opinion but the drive is great with greenery on both sides, a short forest patch and then the road looks at the valley on the sides, its beautifull.

Regarding Camel Valley, its called Unta Giddha in marathi. I had read that stuff in some blog, not able to find it now though. Will post the link if i find it. You can check the below link meanwhile.

http://camelvalley.blogspot.in/
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 08:06   #71
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Good one there SDP. We were there last year during summer. While the vistas were still amazing, I was cursing myself for making it there during such a dry season. But we were still in luck.

A couple of the dam gates were open and we foudn a way to the valley side (there is a 'park' there) to get thoroughly drenched. I will try to dig into the external hard drive and put up a few pics of the place you say you have not visited. Of course after you finish your fantastic TL!
Selfdrive, would love to see your experiences and captures. Please do share, when you get time.
Old 28th February 2014, 13:01   #72

Hi, thanks for detailed instructions. It helped me immensely while planning the trip.

Based on this travelogue, I did Bhandardara trip and one more to Ratanghad this week. Right side opening in Bhandardara dam is open and it is quite a sight. I could not find the second fall near ranadha. Asked locals but it was not much of help.

Ratanghad views are to die for! I will post pictures when I get broadband.
naruto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 15:05   #73
BHPian

SDP
take a look
See what I found when I was browsing Zoomcar.
I remembered seeing this pic on this thread of yours and thought that I should bring to notice this theft of image.
Attached Thumbnails
An unplanned long-weekend trip to Bhandardara-Igatpuri-zoomcar.jpg  

Old 25th June 2015, 16:55   #74
BHPian

Re: Day 1: Onwards to Bhandardara

Quote:
We join the Mumbai-Aurangabad-Nagpur highway.

We move forward.
Guess this is your car and your picture on Zoomcar website
Attached Thumbnails
An unplanned long-weekend trip to Bhandardara-Igatpuri-untitled.jpg  

Old 25th June 2015, 17:44   #75
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Day 1: Onwards to Bhandardara

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
SDP
take a look
See what I found when I was browsing Zoomcar.
I remembered seeing this pic on this thread of yours and thought that I should bring to notice this theft of image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Guess this is your car and your picture on Zoomcar website
Yes, it is indeed my car and my picture. Thanks for noticing and pointing it out.

I am aware of this and have chosen not to do anything about it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3412331

Most Viewed