Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:26   #1
BHPian

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka

Considering the last weekend was a long one, my friends and me made a plan to travel to Sirsi, Karnataka. This was my first long drive (haven't crossed 200 km in one day before), so was slightly nervous, but decided to take the plunge anyway. I was the only one driving btw.

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0004lzt.jpg
The machine

Started on Saturday. the plan was to leave at 5 AM so that we could reach Shimoga and Jog soon before the sun went down, but it wasn't to be. Laziness, cold Bangalore weather etc, and we were stuck till 7 30 AM, only after which everyone was ready.

Took the Nice road till Tumkur. The rood is good, but has a lot of undulations. I still claim that the 25-30 km stretch of Old madras road, is the best road near Bangalore. Took the NH immediately after that, and stopped over at Kamat, Nelmangala for breakfast. These damn Kamats are crowded all the time. We need more highway restaurants.
Ended up spending around an hour there.

From Tumkur took the ring road, avoiding Tumkur, and joining the highway to Tiptur. Between Tiptur and Arsikere took a couple of stops for capturing this beautiful scenery.

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0001gfu.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0009tjg.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0020gw.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0040sd.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0043j.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0044gu.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0051u.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0052tq.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0050jb.jpg
Had lunch in a roadside dhaba at Arsikere. Searched a lot for a restroom, got frustrated and had to become one with nature. After lunch we start and just about a km later see a big CCD! Anyway, didnt stop there as we were already full with the dhaba food. Non stop, crossed Shimoga and reached Sagara, at around 4 in the evening. Stopped at a roadside hotel to have coffee, cutlets and mangalore buns Still contemplating whether to finish Jog visit today itself, or wait till tomorrow. Because it's aleady 5:15 by the time we are done at this hotel, and I absolutely hate taking pics with higher ISO levels even though I have a D90.

Finally decided to go the same day. Roads are awesome all the way upto Jog. Reached Jog Jalapatha(i love this name :P ) at 6 PM sharp. Crossed the bridge to go to the falls, saw that Sharavati was flowing considerably full. Great expectations for the falls themselves.

And for most of the time, expectation met and surpassed!
But I was not satisfied with the quality of picture because of the low light. So we decided to come back when we travel back to Bangalore on Monday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc0050jb.jpg
Views:	4529
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	973988

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0064gbs.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0065wv.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0073gz.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0074uw.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0084lw.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0087rb.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0086r.jpg
Just about when we were about to leave Jog falls, it started raining very heavily. We drove out at 7:30 PM to our place of stay at Sirsi. We had booked a room at Hotel Shivani, Sirsi. It's mostly broken down, but all I needed after a 400 km drive was just a good enough bed to sleep on. I got that, and was dozing in minutes.

Day 2
Day 2 started with a heated argument of whether to go to Kumta, or nearby, just to see the sea. I am a person who craves for the sea, and I am not much of a waterfall person. Even though I survived the Tsunami when i was staying in a beach resort in Mahabalipuram, I still go back to the sea whenever I can.
So seeing that after visitng Yana, Kumta is just going to be 20 km away, I was all pumped to go see the sea. I didn't want a beach, just wanted to see the sea. And now that I think of it, I've seen the Arabian sea only once at Goa.

But the other three with me were saying it's illogical and all that. Finally I convinced them that if we are out of Yana by 4 in the afternoon, I would want to go to Kumta for dinner.

We started the day at 9 30, and decided to finish Unchalli falls first. Took the road towards Kumta, and turned off at a diversion for Unchalli. It was an absolute waste of time as the entire place was covered with fog. Couldn't get a single glimpse of the falls even though we could hear it with all it's glory :(
Not even a single photo here.

I don't know how the time passed, but by the time we started back towards Sirsi, the time was around 12. We traveled towards Yana and reached the Yana gate at 12:30 or 1. Parked the car, and took off trekking into the forest. Not anything major, just about a kilometer inside, and we get the first glimpse of one of the rocks.

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0111rt.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0113wp.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0146rw.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0162lz.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0176nf.jpg
After walking thro the rocks, decided to wander into another path, and found a beautiful waterfall.

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0188fp.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0189ai.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0191hj.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0196oc.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0199xx.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0203k.jpg

Just about now, the heavens opened up, and it rained like there's no tomorrow. My camera, bag, my clothes everything got drenched beyond any respite. In the heavy rain we completed our tour of Yana, and trudged back to my car. Reached my car at 4 30, and all of us took an hour taking turns and changing into dry clothes in the car. All said and done, it was close to 5 45 pm by the time we started back to the main road from sirsi. Needless to say, no sea sighting for me :( So we decided to go back to sirsi, and call it a day.

A few photos on the way back.

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0214gv.jpg
A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0263re.jpg
Bought dinner at Shetty Lunch home. Amazing chicken and great food overall. Brought the food back to the hotel, ate like a pig and dozed off. Day 3 is the day we come back. another 400 km driving for me.
bharat4ever is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka

Thats some great pics out there and yes especially of the very popular Jog falls! The places covered seem to be beautiful during the rainy season.

Great first time long drive effort and already the TL seems to be shaping really well. Have heard a lot about Yana and it is surely a must see some time in the future. Keep it coming, all the colors and hues!
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:44   #3
BHPian

Day 3

Again started the day at around 9 in the morning. My friends insisted on visiting Markamba temple, Vishnu matt, and another Hanuman temple nearby. A new record for me, three temples in the same day.

Fueled up and left Sirsi at 10 30. Went back to Jog to conquer the photographic monster which lured me back. Got a bunch of good pictures.
A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0363t.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0365n.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0370dw.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0371lu.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0377i.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0381uh.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0387k.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0393id.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0395r.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0398ke.jpg
After Jog started back to Bangalore at 1 PM. I was scared that we'll have heavy traffic in the night on the two lane road between Arsikere and Tumkur. And was proved right. Bloody no one dims their lights nowadays. And to add to this, started raining as well. But I managed to keep a good pace, and reached Nelmangala at 9 PM. Dinner, and took the NICE road back to Bangalore. The monotonous pace of Nice road put eveyone else in the car to sleep. But I was vigilant

In all covered 1100 km in three days.

Misc. photos from the trip.

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0010vl.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0093kg.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0059gn.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0110oq.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0207mm.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0214t.jpg

Name:  dsc0220ic.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  162.9 KB

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0221vj.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0222tz.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0242hc.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0248qy.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0253iu.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0254tk.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0261kz.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0270wx.jpg

A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0356jc.jpg

Bad narration I know, but I'll get better soon.
Next trip, coastal karnataka. From Mangalore to Karwar. stay tuned
bharat4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2012 at 16:03.
SunnyBoi is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Thats some great pics out there and yes especially of the very popular Jog falls! The places covered seem to be beautiful during the rainy season.

Great first time long drive effort and already the TL seems to be shaping really well. Have heard a lot about Yana and it is surely a must see some time in the future. Keep it coming, all the colors and hues!
Thank you. I have realized the potential of my camera on this trip only

and doesn't this
A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-dsc0146rw.jpg
look like this?
A rainy weekend in Uttara Karnataka-thedarkknightriseschalksymbol.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2012 at 16:04. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:20   #6
BHPian

The place is so scenic!! And hats off to your photography! Amazing clicks.

Also congrats on your first long drive

Cheers!
Old 24th August 2012, 18:28   #7
BHPian

Some of those pictures are very beautiful. What time of the day was it when you clicked the second set of Jog pictures? And what time was it when the first set was taken? I ask because I think the falls faces the West (?), and I am curious about the lighting. Or perhaps I shouldn't, if the sky was so overcast that you had diffused lighting everywhere?
Old 24th August 2012, 20:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere
Some of those pictures are very beautiful. What time of the day was it when you clicked the second set of Jog pictures? And what time was it when the first set was taken? I ask because I think the falls faces the West (?), and I am curious about the lighting. Or perhaps I shouldn't, if the sky was so overcast that you had diffused lighting everywhere?
The first set of pics of jog is from the opposite hill where you can see the entire group of 4 falls together. It was around 6 30 in the evening and it was about to rain.

The second set is from where the falls actually falls. That mungaaru malai place or whatever. This was around 12 in the afternoon, but again about the o rain.
Old 24th August 2012, 20:24   #9
SDP
Team-BHP Support

bharat4ever,

Some absolutely lovely picture there. Truely refreshing.

Especially loved the pics of the Jog Falls. I have Jog Falls on my list for a couple of years now. One of these days, I am just going to get up and drive there.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 24th August 2012, 23:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
bharat4ever,

Some absolutely lovely picture there. Truely refreshing.

Especially loved the pics of the Jog Falls. I have Jog Falls on my list for a couple of years now. One of these days, I am just going to get up and drive there.

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you. You'll have a lovely time. All the roads are amazing.
Old 2nd September 2012, 16:00   #11
BHPian

Great travelogue and superb snaps. It brought back fond memories of our trip to Jog falls

By the way, we plan to make a trip from Goa to Mangalore on September 16-10. Can you please let us know the condition of the roads between Karwar and Mangalore?

If possible we also plan to make a trip from Mangaore to Coorg. Has the highway from Mangalore to Coorg been completed and is it motorable? Last October when we visited Madikeri, we were informed that the road construction was in progress.

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Great travelogue and superb snaps. It brought back fond memories of our trip to Jog falls

By the way, we plan to make a trip from Goa to Mangalore on September 16-10. Can you please let us know the condition of the roads between Karwar and Mangalore?

If possible we also plan to make a trip from Mangaore to Coorg. Has the highway from Mangalore to Coorg been completed and is it motorable? Last October when we visited Madikeri, we were informed that the road construction was in progress.

Thanks
Geez, I've not gone through any of the roads you've mentioned

Most Viewed