Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 13:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty

Mr.Murphy, you are so real. And so strong.

Before we get into the behind the scenes of this Ooty trip, lets check out the some information on the destination. Yes, there are plenty of thread highlighting about this place. but still, thought I should pen down from my point of view.

Let us begin with the most liked part of any trip for we bhpians - DRIVE.

Possible routes from Bangalore.

1. Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjungud - Bandipur - Masinangudi - Ooty
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-googlemapssalemmasinagudi.jpg
2. Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjungud - Bandipur - Gudalar - Ooty
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-googlemapssalemguduor.jpg
3. Bangalore - Hosur - Salem - Bhavani - Avinashi - Mettupalayam - Conoor - Ooty
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-googlemapssalem.jpg

The first 2 routes are almost similar, except that you have a fantastic 36 hair-pin curves to climb before you are welcomed by the Queen of Hills.

If you feel that you do not want to get in to this 36 hair pin bends, then the other option is Gudalur. Its little longer, but do not have sharp curves as in the other route. But, what's the fun in a normal roads without twists & turns, RIGHT!!!!

The last option is to fly low on the NH7 and go through Avinashi and Conoor to reach Ooty.

So, when anyone mention about Ooty, what are the usual places that comes to our mind?

1. Botanical Garden

2. Ooty Lake

3. Horse riding

4. Boating

5. Rose Garden

6. Shooting spot

7. Wellington

8. Doddabetta

9. Tea estates

and may be some more too.

But we Team-BHP-ians are spoilt by even more options and choices than what is viewed by the common person. Be it the Leh & Ladakh in north or the Ooty & Kodai in south. Why? You know the reason. Yes, there are many kind-hearted person in here, who explore new areas and make it easy for others to have fun.

So, I would also like to contribute some info that can help us. ofcourse, I do not have any new places explored (did you t-bhp-ians left any left-over to explore!!!) but just add more detials so it becomes easy for some one new.

This is the route I took to kothagiri.
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-googlemaps1.jpg

Now, a small flashback to 12 hours behind the D-Day...

Last edited by mjothi : 24th August 2012 at 14:16.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 13:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess... : Trip to Ooty

17th August 2012

Friday 3pm

I realize that we have along weekend and kids school are also closed for EID. I call my wife to get things packed for next 3 days, and we are heading to Chennai.

Friday 4pm
Everything packed, and kids are ready to leave to Chennai.

Friday 5pm
I get a call from my friend in chennai saying he want to visit Swamimalai for the weekend. Asks if I can join. Sure, why not. So, initial plan was drafted - go to chennai, and go in a single car (He got an innova) to Swamimalai, stay around Kumbakonam, and also visit Tanjore.

Friday 6pm
I get another call that there may be a strike on Tuesday (For Banks) and hence he do not want to take leave on the Saturday (If done, then Saturday, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday is considered as 4 days of leave!). So, plan changed to visit Swamimalai only, and return same day. But since that would be teadious, he wants to stay and return on Monday. But, I need to leave to Bangalore on Monday. So, plan dropped completely.

Friday 7pm
I see my kids looking sad. I can understand, especially after they got dressed up and ready to leave, then suddenly we call of the trip! We were sitting and wondering when was the last time we went on vacation. And the answer surprised us. Yes, it was more than an year I believe. Due to my frequent travel, we were not able to plan any vacation for long time.

And the thought of missing the 3 days of leave was eating our brain. We really do not want to miss this golden opportunity, and finally, decided to try Ooty. Since its off-season, we thought it should be ok to just drive there and get hotel. But with the kids, I don't want to take any chances. I try the usual hotels on net, call them and all said same answers - Fully booked.

Then immediately my phone calls to the Guru - Shisyar (HVK & Lalu) inquiring for the known hotels in and around Ooty. But could not get the booking in the recommended hotels.

I tried the Palaniappa Estate too. But only availability was in the Madawa houses, which I do not want to opt for.

I check with Srikanth (pypkmsrikanth) and he suggested why not Kothagiri. I felt that was a good idea, far from the crowded Ooty. I search again for hotel, and narrow down to Twin Tree resort. Call those guys, and surprisingly they had rooms. Booked, confirmed, and started!!!

Since we need to cross Bandipur, it wont be wise to start at this late evening, so we decided to leave next day early morning.

Small changes in the packing - include the warm clothes and umbrella, keep it ready, and we all go for sleep.

I was dreaming about introducing my kids to the Queen of Hills. Me visiting Ooty after almost a decade going to visit Ooty. Infact, it was during our early married days we visited and then never had a chance or excuse to visit back !

We planned everything from filling petrol to hotel to stay, but never had any idea on the route to take, what to see etc. Because, I know. I can never keep the plan in-tact. So, why to take the pain to plan in the first

Before I go to sleep, I go out to fill fuel for the Aveo, and get it ready for the drive.
mjothi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 14:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess... : Trip to Ooty

18th August

Saturday 3am

I woke up, killed the alarm, and we all get ready by 4am.
Trip starts NOW!
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-tripstart.jpg

And we start the engine, and leave our home by 4:15am. I was thinking it was a cleaver idea to start early. But I see many cleaver minds on the road and realize that it was a long weekend, and most Bangalore is driving out

The route I took was as below

Bangalore - Silk Board - Bannergatta - Nice Road - Ramanagaram - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlepet - Bandipur - Masinangudi - Ooty - kothagiri

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-googlemaps1.jpg

I see a ford fiesta with a Team-BHP sticker in the bumber going in front near Srirangapatna. I was following this car and we reach Mysore around 7:30am and had breakfast in the Vishnu bhavan hotel opposite to the Bus stand. The other car did not stop for the breakfast over there, and kept continuing. We left Mysore around 8am, and exit Mysore to join the Nanjangudu road.

The roads all the way to Gundalpet and Bandipur seems to be recently laid, and the drive was beautiful.

At the entrance of the Bandipur, after the usual checking and advice of - No Photo, No Parking, No plastic - we enter the Bandipur forest.

Forest are not for rest..
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3507.jpg

I was actually surprised about the road condition inside the forest. last time when I took this route (ofcourse, 3 years back!) it was pathetic. Many pot holes, and need to drive very carefully. But now, it was neatly done. Only difference, last time it was pot holes, this time it was speed breakers. In a way, it was good. Since it helps the wild life.

We were greeted by a lonely elephant just after the entrance. There was plenty of Deers all over.

Hello, what are you looking at?
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3515.jpg

Psst, I don't care you...

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3514.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3516.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3513.jpg

I saw one biker, who stopped his bike along the road, and was busy in taking pictures.

The weather was very pleasant with little rain inside the forest. We entered the Tamilnadu border of Mudumalai forest. But did not get any chance to view any animals. I took the immediate left after exiting the forest, which leads to Masinangudi.

Excuse me! whose inside?
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3517.jpg

Hey wait, let me also have a look inside!
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3520.jpg

Stop, Its none of your business.
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3522.jpg

Roads was pretty bad and narrow. It was really difficult when we had some buses coming in the opposite direction. The height of the road along the edges was high and posing danger for the low clearance vehicles. Somehow managed to cross and reach the beginning of the "most interesting" twists and turns of the drive!!! Yes, here comes the beginning of 36 hair pin bends.

I can SEEeee you...
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3526.jpg

Initial hairpin curves was easier, but as we reached the fag end, it was difficult to get the vehicle climbing in 2nd gear. Especially, when there are vehicles in opposite direction that slows you down or even stops you during the climbs.

I can easily see that several times the Aveo ran out of juice during the climb, but happy it took us with whatever juice was left over with it

I was planing to visit Kalhatty falls. I think it comes after the 14th or 15th Hairpin bends. You cannot miss it, you have a very clear board mentioning it.

I stopped there imaging a beautiful view of the water falls. But, the monsoon was so bad, there was not even a trickle of water in the falls. Actually, you can drive in your car into the place shown in the below pictures. But, not advisable since its just fit for one car, and you should make sure no one else tries similar stunt from other side at same time.

Where is the falls dad?
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3527.jpg

Anna, Dad lied about the falls.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3528.jpg

Viewing the route we can by

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3529.jpg

Anyway, that was a pleasant break. This place may be a good spot for having packed food and taking some rest.

Since I need to cross Ooty to go to Kothagiri, I call Lalu to check if we can meet up. Got a green signal from him, and so headed to his resort to meet the first bhp-ian in this trip!

Atlast, we are here!
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3530.jpg

Finally, here we are on top of the hill, Queen of Hills, Ooty.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3537.jpg

Last edited by mjothi : 24th August 2012 at 14:19.
Old 24th August 2012, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty

Reached Ooty. Saturday 10:30am

Once I reached the top, I planned to visit Lalu in his resort. He was staying in Derby Greens, which was right in opposite to the Race course.

We reached the Derby Greens, which is near the Ooty Bus station, parked the car in the parking lot, and met Lalu. Couple of talks and there was another surprise waiting for us. There is yet another family joining us for the weekend - Arvind aka starvegabond, was also traveling to Ooty for that weekend.

Ooty Lake, boating. Saturday 11:30 am

After spending sometime with Lalu, we started towards the Ooty Lake. I first checked the crowd for the boating to make sure I do not lose more time in waiting. Luckily, since it was off-season, there was no crowd and we took the ticket and went without any waiting time.

We rented the rower boat for 4+1. It started drizzling and made the weather too cold for us.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3538.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3539.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3540.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3542.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3546.jpg

And during the purchase of ticket, I forgot to collect back my change. This I realized only in the middle of the water. However, they did return the amount once I was back and checked with them.

After the boating, it was games time. Kids want to try out some of the games over there. The Ooty lake have been changed to some video games center. I really did not like it. It is suppose to be retained with natural surrounding, but here it was being changed like a mall. All for business.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3547.jpg

Then we want to fullfill our dream of taking the Toy train ! Yes, this was really the toy train. But a small and chill experience. I am sure along with the kids we will also enjoy it.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3549.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3561.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3562.jpg

They have made a nice cave, and tracks in between the tall trees to give a real good experience of the actual toy train. Its definitely worth a try.

Once done, we wanted to head towards Kothagiri. I called up the resort guys, and confirmed him about my arrival time. Then on the way we saw a decent hotel called Durga Veg Restaurant. We also got a good parking space over there, and had our lunch.

Food was decent, I would recommend this one for sure.

Last edited by mjothi : 24th August 2012 at 23:32.
Old 24th August 2012, 22:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tea Museum, Ooty. Saturday 1:30pm

Then we started towards our resort. To go to Kothagiri, you need to take the road opposite to the Charing Cross junction which leads to Doddabetta. When you are coming from the Busstand via the Durga hotel(starting point A), its the right turn. Within 2 KMs you will see the Tea Museum on the way.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-durgateabetta.jpg
We entered the Tea Museum, but it was crowded with the tourist cabs and people. There was a long queue waiting for entry into the museum. We got the token, waited in the line and got in. It took like 15-20 min for the complete trip.
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3564.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3565.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3566.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3567.jpg

There were audio played to describe the process of the tea powder making. It was really interesting to see that there was so many process, time and days involved in the making of the tea powder.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3571.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3572.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3573.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3574.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3575.jpg

Then you get a nice tea as compliment (ok, you paid Rs.5 for the entrance!).
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3576.jpg

I also bought some tea packets to take back home.

Behind the Tea Museum, you have the chocolate factory. Do not get mislead by the name "factory". I did.

It was nothing but a small 4x4 room, with a glass enclosure, where a young lady was preparing the chocolates. I would say that the whole room is nothing but a small shop to promote or sell the chocolates and other souvenirs.

Once done, we were out and headed towards Doddabetta.
Old 24th August 2012, 23:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Doddabetta, Ooty. Saturday 2:30pm

After 2-3KM from the tea Museum, you get a small junction, where there are 2 right and a left turns. The first right takes you towards Kothagiri (actually it is the continuation of the SH15 from ooty), and the other right takes you to Doddabetta. We entered the road and then realized that there was literally no roads. With great difficulty we managed to climb on those bad roads, and reached the top. Since the climate was cold, and was covered with mist, we did not have any view from the Doddabetta,. We cant even take some good pictures.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3579.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3580.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3581.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01321201208181509.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01322201208181509.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01324201208181512.jpg

Then we rode back to the junction, and took the Kothagiri road. It was a beautifully laid roads, with many curves. Kothagiri was around 20KMs from this junction.

Enjoying those twists, we finally reached the resort around 4:30pm.

Some of the pictures taken enroute. These pictures are taken from my mobile, since my camera battery was over :(

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01329201208181539.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01333201208181543.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01334201208181543.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01337201208181552.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01338201208181553.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01339201208181553.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01340201208181554.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01341201208181554.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01344201208181555.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01345201208181556.jpg

Just before the turn for the resort, I saw a HP fuel station, and got my tank filled. I never knew at that time, how big a Savior was this action of filling petrol.

SH 15 to Corsley Road - Google Maps
The resort is opposite to the River Side Public school. The huge mud ground you see here is the school ground.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-resort.jpg

We checked in, refreshed a bit and planned to go for a small walking. But since it started to rain in the evening, we did not go anywhere out. But was sitting in the balcony of the resort and enjoying the climate.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3584.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3587.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3588.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3589.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3590.jpg

Now about the resort. The resort was 2 years old, and very neat and clean. The toilet was big and very well maintained. I usually check the hotel quality by inspecting the toilet. The state of the rest room reflects and conveys a lot on the resort as a whole.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01358201208181652.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01362201208181758.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01364201208190704.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3592.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3596.jpg

The compliment toilet kit they provided was also of good quality. The resort is right in the center of the tea estate.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img01366201208190716.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3595.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3597.jpg

By 7pm we were ready to order our dinner. The food prices were not expensive and was on par with the decent restaurant in Bangalore.

Since it was first day, and do not want to take any chances, we ordered all veg items. I should agree that the quality of food was also good. Atleast, it did not do any harm to us

After the dinner and sometime of chat and walking around we finally call it a day by 9:30pm.

End of Day 1.

Last edited by mjothi : 24th August 2012 at 23:43.
Old 25th August 2012, 08:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing, Mahesh.
Old 27th August 2012, 08:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kothagiri, Sunday 8:00am

We got ready and wanted to call Lalu & Arvind to know the current day plan, if any. But since there was no news them, I was sure they should be still resting, and hence do not want to disturb them by calling that morning.

So, we decided to go to the Kodanadu view point, which was like 20KMs from the resort.

The roads to the the view point will stop once you reach the view point. There is not route beyond this to continue. You need to return back. They have laid very beautiful roads till the last.

The weather was sunny and we were hoping to have a better view from the view point. After the great disappoint from Doddabetta view point, we thought this would be the one to compromise the loss.

On the way one can see multiple villages, and the green carpet on the hills. There are couple of tea estates, and some are really laid with concrete roads.

There are couple of hair pin curves too. But it should be easy since the roads are pretty good and wide. I am sure, you need to make numerous stops for the photos, even if you are in great hurry.

We did too. Here are some of the pictures enroute to kodanadu view point.
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3612.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3613.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3618.jpg
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3636.jpg

Kodanadu view point, Kothagiri. Saturday 9:00am

Just a KM before the view point, you have one more place where you can have a peek of the surrounding view. Probably it was done to have some picture opportunity. Look at the actual view point (in red circle) as seen from 1km before.
Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-panouturn.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-panoview.jpg

The building you see along with the cell phone tower is actually a restaurant. Its named with a "view point" and people can be easily mislead that to be the view point, and enter. Good marketing I would guess.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3645.jpg

Once you reach the view point, you will notice a viewing tower. You climb them and WHAT a view.

The view is something to die for. It was so breath taking view. We were lucky to have sunny day and also not much wind. Had a wonderful view of the surroundings. There was a telescope room, but it was closed. Checked with the people and they said its been closed for a while.

Anyway, we had our binocular and I patted myself for taking it along with us without forgetting, as we have done everytime on the past.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3647.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3648.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3649.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3678.jpg

I noticed a river / lake on the right of the peak, but not able to capture it nice in my camera. Not sure of which river was it though.

When climbed down and did couple of photos. Then we noticed that there was some steps descending down on the left side of the parking place. We stepped down, and it was a another view point with a small tower to enjoy the view. They had nice cement tables and bench which can be used for picnics. Nice scenic surroundings.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3679.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3682.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3683.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3684.jpg

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-img_3686.jpg

And suddenly I notice my phone rings. Oh, Airtel works here fine

It was our Lalu, and he mentioned that they were able to talk with Arvind, and the plan was to meet at Lovedale to say a good buy to the Ooty famous train. It was decided to be at 11:30am based on the arrival time of the train.

So, we start back. Since I already took the Ooty - Kothagiri road, I want to try a different route this time. We took the Kothagiri - Conoor - Ooty route, even though it was longer.

It was almost 10am when we started to head back to Ooty.

Here are the panoramic view from the view point

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-fbkodanaduviewpoint.jpg

This one is on the way to Kodanadu, in a hair pin bend curve.

Queen, here we come with our Prince & Princess - Trip to Ooty-fbwaytokodanaduviewpoint.jpg

Last edited by mjothi : 27th August 2012 at 08:13. Reason: Attached the panoramic view picture...
mjothi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 09:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a good trip Mahesh, Kotagiri is always my favourite place when driving to the Nilgiris, still unspoilt by commercialisation and the like you have mentioned, the drive to Kotagiri is lovely.
The bonus you had was to have met Lalu and Arvind, nice photographs.
Old 27th August 2012, 09:34   #10
BHPian

Nice travelogue.

The resort you stayed in looks good, it is neat and the view is awesome. I especially liked the reception area with huge glass windows where you sat down to have tea.

Its been long since we went out for a trip, may be one of these days, and since it is raining now, the dry waterfall that you encountered will probably have water

Thanks for the details on the route options.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Looks like a good trip Mahesh, Kotagiri is always my favourite place when driving to the Nilgiris, still unspoilt by commercialisation and the like you have mentioned, the drive to Kotagiri is lovely.
The bonus you had was to have met Lalu and Arvind, nice photographs.
Thanks Hari. Yes, it was definitely a bonus. And the roads from Ooty all the way to Kodanadu view point was just amazing - both roads + sceneries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Nice travelogue.

The resort you stayed in looks good, it is neat and the view is awesome. I especially liked the reception area with huge glass windows where you sat down to have tea.

Its been long since we went out for a trip, may be one of these days, and since it is raining now, the dry waterfall that you encountered will probably have water

Thanks for the details on the route options.
Thanks Vasanth. I am glad it was helpful.

Regarding rain, I am not sure if we had good monsoon rains in and around Ooty. i doubt. Probably the localities may clarify.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:30   #12
BHPian

Nice travelogue with important details.

Can you also provide the details of hotel you stayed in, along with the cost?

Also is staying at Kotagiri a better choice than Ooty in terms of Crowd, amenities and cost?

Lastly, any permits required for cars from other states (Maharashtra)?
Old 27th August 2012, 11:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Oho! the legendary mjothi is back with his mind blowing travelogues

It was nice meeting you in Ooty. Coming to think of it, living just in a radius of 2KMs in Bangalore we needed to be in Ooty to find some time to meet up
Old 27th August 2012, 12:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post
Nice travelogue with important details.

Can you also provide the details of hotel you stayed in, along with the cost?

Also is staying at Kotagiri a better choice than Ooty in terms of Crowd, amenities and cost?

Lastly, any permits required for cars from other states (Maharashtra)?
Thanks.

This is the website with the tariff for the resort.

Tariff

As I mentioned, its very clean and spacious one. I liked the resort people, who never disturbs you. just dial their kitchen, order what you want, when you want, where you want and you have it - either in restaurant or in your room.

Yes, I would definitely recommend Kothagiri to if you prefer to stay near ooty. its less crowded for sure, nice amenities. Moreover, you will love those roads from Ooty all the way till Kodanadu view point. But cost, I felt it may be similar, but ofcourse depends on the place we book.

For eg: the Hotel lakeview was offering around the same price of the one I stayed. I preferred the Kothagiri. Someone else may prefer lakeview, since it located inside the Ooty town.

No permits are needed for the personal vehicles. Ofocurse, if you got a yellow board, then its a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Oho! the legendary mjothi is back with his mind blowing travelogues

It was nice meeting you in Ooty. Coming to think of it, living just in a radius of 2KMs in Bangalore we needed to be in Ooty to find some time to meet up
Oho! look where from such thing is coming?

You right, i even forgot when was it last time we met in Bangalore. Too bad. its because, you are never in town. Either in North with your GURU exploring the border or fighting with the jawans there, or other places outside Bangy in your CAR-U.

Last edited by mjothi : 27th August 2012 at 12:23.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

I missed some updates on the beginning of the day.

When I took reverse of my car from the parking, I could see my kid jumping in joy. I ask him what happened, he answers - "Dad, the rear tyre was up in air, I was trying to let you know to stop, so I can take picture!"

Huh, what a kid...

I reverse it and stop for others to get in. And just get down to inspect the tyres, to make sure we have no surprises.

I notice that the front right tyre looked like it lost air. I check with the care-taker of the resort,

Me:
Is there a fuel station near by, so I can fill air to the tyres?
Care-taker: Oh, today is Sunday.

Hell, what's if its sunday.

Me: Is it closed on sundays?
Care-takers: No sir, the fuel stations will be open, but air will be closed on sunday.

How do I get the air filled so I can drive along these twists and turns of the hills. Just by itself, its difficult to get the car running on those climbs, and if there is not enough air? This very thinking made me go crazy. I was wondering if Queen of the hills do not want us to be back on her crown to enjoy the beauty...

With all thoughts, and praying all known gods, I started climbing down from the estate thinking I should have some one who will save me.

I saw couple of tyre repair centers, but all were closed. On inquiry it looked like they may be closed since its Sunday, but some guys asked me to give a check after 9am, since it was early to have these opened.

So, I decided to complete my kodanadu visit and on the way back I can get this verified. When I was returning back to this same place and checked, they never had any person available for air. Even couple of petrol bunks denied air.

Finally, I got one person (with grease and tyre repair stuffs) just before the place where you have diversion for Conoor & Ooty. The place name is kattapetti - around 8KMs from kothagiri town. It was a road side shop, and saved me for the day. When I handed over Rs10 to him, you should see the happiness in this face. I thought myself - "Buddy, you never know how much you saved me for the day!"

So, what am I trying to tell here.

Make sure you get your tyre checked at every chance you get in the available bunks. I did filled petrol the previous evening in the bunk a KM before the resort, but never thought to check the air. So, a slight tension when we are suppose to have fun & relax.

One more, I saw that there were some "smart" souls flying to hell on the kodanadu roads with their so called bikes. One such stupid was about to crash on my car. Since I guessed it from a distance before the turning, I was very lucky to avoid it. Couple of villagers were shouting at those guys. But he never bothered to even slow down. I would say I was lucky more than him.

So, watch out for such people. If you avoid such characters, then I would say you would love the drive all the way to Conoor from this point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks