Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 22:23   #16
BHPian

Re: A trip to Kasauli in my "LUV"

Great trip you've had, good for you.

The Himalayan Expressway is really poor IMO; random people walking/jogging on the 'expressway', people parked on the road having picnics and drinks, no management/towing vehicle/enforcer. The roads are great but the path is not.
I think from your pics it's visible even you stopped for a photo session there. I don't mean to pin point you or anything though.
Old 21st December 2012, 19:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue, I loved every bit of it. I must admit it was a flawless trip except for that one incident. But such incidents do occur & they make our trips all the more memorable, don't they? I also want to pen down my travelogue for the 3500km, 12 day trip that I did more than 2 years back, criss-crossing 7 states. However I am yet to find an opportune moment for that.

Nevertheless I do hope you get ample such opportunities to hit the highways in your Ertiga quite often & share with us your experiences.
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

A brief and crisp travelogue! Anything else coming up?

The place looks serene and a true stress buster. I am sure you must have thoroughly enjoyed. How about the rates of Baikunth if you dont mind sharing. I mean any discounts/offers etc other than what is mentioned on the web site. Did not find any rates on the site.
Old 24th November 2013, 17:37   #19
BHPian

Didn't want to start a new thread for the same query. We are planning to visit Kasauli. We are two families of 4. Both of us have the Honda Jazz. As of now,the itenary is :
1 Jan 2014- Start from Noida around 5 in the morning
meetup around Kashmeri gate(if im not wrong)
Halt at Murthal
Stop at Haveli in Karnal if time and tummy permits.
Refuel before entering Punjab
Then towards Kasauli.
Return journey starts on 4th or 5th Jan 2014.

So i am a little worried as i guess it will be snowing around that time. Will it be safe to drive during first week of 2014? Any other pointers will be really appreciated.
Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 21:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarth.katyal View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread for the same query. We are planning to visit Kasauli. We are two families of 4. Both of us have the Honda Jazz. As of now,the itenary is :
1 Jan 2014- Start from Noida around 5 in the morning
meetup around Kashmeri gate(if im not wrong)
Halt at Murthal
Stop at Haveli in Karnal if time and tummy permits.
Refuel before entering Punjab
Then towards Kasauli.
Return journey starts on 4th or 5th Jan 2014.

So i am a little worried as i guess it will be snowing around that time. Will it be safe to drive during first week of 2014? Any other pointers will be really appreciated.
Thanks
Hi

I am sure you know the route - Delhi-Panipat - karnal-Ambala-Parwanoo - Dharampur-Kausauli (diversion left for 12-13 kms) - Solan-Shimla.
From Noida to Kausauli - you won't touch Punjab.

From Ambala you can go to Chandigarh and then do Pinjore and join at Parwanoo and continue on NH 21A. You can also go direct from Ambala to Parwanoo. Roads are all good.

Don't worry about fuel - more and enough fuel stations along.

Places to see - Chandigarh (Rock Garden, Rose Garden, Sukhna Lake Sec 17 plaza), Pinjore (Garden), Timber Trail (resort), Kausauli (Mall, sunset point), Simla (Ridge, Mall, Summer hill). Don't miss the lovely toy train and the various tunnels. One of them is very close to a road crossing. Great pictures of the bridges and the colorful train.

In early Jan it does snow but it does not really pile up/accumulate. The road more or less remains clear though you may come across a snow on the hill tops. Also these days it snows no more than 8-10 times through the entire winter season. I am sure you will also check weather forecast before driving. In case it does start snowing please find a highway hotel (loads of them) to stop - both for enjoying the snow as well as for staying safe. Driving on snow is not at all easy - it can be slippery affecting control of the car - braking/acceleration and turning.

The road from Parwanoo to Shimla is really nice and scenic though it maybe colder than Noida. After Shimla you can go further up to see lovely pine trees and maybe more snow at Kufri.

Stay warm and enjoy your drive.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 26th November 2013, 23:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hi

I am sure you know the route - Delhi-Panipat - karnal-Ambala-Parwanoo - Dharampur-Kausauli (diversion left for 12-13 kms) - Solan-Shimla.
From Noida to Kausauli - you won't touch Punjab.

From Ambala you can go to Chandigarh and then do Pinjore and join at Parwanoo and continue on NH 21A. You can also go direct from Ambala to Parwanoo. Roads are all good.

Don't worry about fuel - more and enough fuel stations along.

Places to see - Chandigarh (Rock Garden, Rose Garden, Sukhna Lake Sec 17 plaza), Pinjore (Garden), Timber Trail (resort), Kausauli (Mall, sunset point), Simla (Ridge, Mall, Summer hill). Don't miss the lovely toy train and the various tunnels. One of them is very close to a road crossing. Great pictures of the bridges and the colorful train.
Thanks for all the information regarding the route and stoppages on the way. Will definitely check the weather before heading out and make note of hotels on the way.
I'll carry my regular highway package of flashlight,medicines,toolkit,water,cloth,emergency nos and the duplicate key. What else should i carry along,any special requirement related to driving in snow or cold weather?
Old 27th November 2013, 09:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarth.katyal View Post
Thanks for all the information regarding the route and stoppages on the way. Will definitely check the weather before heading out and make note of hotels on the way.
I'll carry my regular highway package of flashlight,medicines,toolkit,water,cloth,emergency nos and the duplicate key. What else should i carry along,any special requirement related to driving in snow or cold weather?
Hi

Being in Noida you know the winter. Kausauli/Shimla can be a few degrees colder than Noida. I would suggest the usual north Indian winter wear. Preferably please take a wind proof jacket, a cap and maybe light woollen gloves. I doubt if thermals are required but if you have family along that may feel very cold perhaps then its a good idea to carry it. Otherwise a normal jeans is good.

Do remember to take a lip balm.

Stay warm and enjoy your trip.

Cheers
Old 12th January 2015, 10:53   #23
BHPian

Ludhiana - Kasauli - Chandigarh Airport

We are a family of 3 adults and 2 kids bween 10 and 15 years of age. We will be visiting Ludhiana in Apr 2015. On our way out of Ludhiana, we are considering an overnight stay at Kasauli on the way. Does the following itinerary look feasible?

Day 1: Dep Ludhiana 9am by road, Arr Kasauli 1pm and check-in into hotel. What mode of transport would you recommend here? Taxi? Bus?

Day 2: Checkout from hotel and dep Kasauli 1pm. Go to Dharampur Rly Stn to catch 2.20pm toy train to Kalka. Can one travel from Kasauli to Dharampur in about 45 mins?

Arr Kalka 4.10pm

If we go by taxi from Kalka Rly Stn at 4.30pm, can we reach Chandigarh airport by 6pm? How long does this journey take in the evening time? Our flight is at 7pm.

Most Viewed