Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 15:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Stunning Valparai

Mind blowing pictures doc. Those B&W inserts here and there, are truly out of the world. Gives the entire photolog a different dimension. Salutes for sharing with us.
Old 7th September 2012, 19:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Thanks for posting such wonderful pics and bringing nostalgic. I was living in Valparai (upper parley estate) till by age 7. I was too young to remember many, But the nature is something I cannot loose.

I have gone there couple of times in last few years - Valparai is such a beautiful place, and every nature lover visit there at least once.
Old 7th September 2012, 20:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Dr. Thanks for posting such wonderful pics and bringing nostalgic. I was living in Valparai (upper parley estate) till by age 7. I was too young to remember many, But the nature is something I cannot loose.

I have gone there couple of times in last few years - Valparai is such a beautiful place, and every nature lover visit there at least once.
Dude! I was also in Upper parley estate till 5 or 6. And grew up in Valparai my whole life. Can you disclose yourself through PM?
Old 7th September 2012, 21:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth

Dude! I was also in Upper parley estate till 5 or 6. And grew up in Valparai my whole life (from parry london limited days).Can you disclose yourself through PM?
I am Benny, I lived with my grand father writer Mr. John Benjamin between 1974 and 80. My grandfather lived for the people in the field and died in the field. A noble man of charity and he is still remembered by the people who live there, at least by the previous generation. It was the happiest period in my life, and he was my hero. Have you herd about him be any chance?
My brothers were born in the mission hospital. We all love the place.
In 2008 we went there as a large number of families for a tribute to my grand father. I just thought I would shre in the open thread. May I know who you are, you may PM me. Thanks for tasking.

Stunning Valparai-image306666687.jpg

This was a family photo taken on 3rd jan 1980' couple OS data after my grand father's death. The people in the upper row are working in the field, they still live there.

Stunning Valparai-image2980542597.jpg

Here is the rock where my grand father died in the early hours of 1 st jan 1980. People white wash the stone every year.

Share with us your memories in parley estate.

Last edited by agbenny : 7th September 2012 at 21:47.
Old 8th September 2012, 11:56   #35
BHPian

We've done route this twice during our college days. One of the most scenic roads down south, I guess. It's amazing how different the views are before and after the rains.
The first time we did the route was in a February, some years ago. Then again last October.
Thrissur - Chalakkudy - Athirappaly - Vazhachal - Malakkaparai - Valparai - Anamalai - Govindpuram - Vadakkencherry - Thrissur
Nearly 14 hours and 300 kms, just for the road. The 60+ hairpin bends are exhilarating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
You guys had the liberty to stop & click the dam, but I wasn't so lucky. I went there on the Aug-15 weekend, and there were forest guards every few meters not allowing to stop anywhere on the ghat road!
Were you there in the evening towards sundown?
That's when they usually come along and ask everyone to leave.
Old 9th September 2012, 11:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Superb pictures !!!. Absolutely fantastic.

This was how the dam looked on 20th Aug when I visited Valparai. Totally different.
Attachment 981188
Well composed! Well exposed! Beautiful snap!
Old 9th September 2012, 22:40   #37
BHPian

Doc, are you a doc or a pro photographer?!
The photos were simply amazing. Stunning revelation to me who has visited valparai twice earlier in 1988 and 2010. Honestly i should admit i could not see valparai the way you showed through lens.
Hats off to you!
Viswam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 14:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I am Benny, I lived with my grand father writer Mr. John Benjamin between 1974 and 80.
Share with us your memories in parley estate.
I have heard about him from my dad. He was the field officer there from 1985 to 1990. I was born in the Iyerpadi estate hospital in 1987. Probably we stayed in the same house where your grandfather lived.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
I have heard about him from my dad. He was the field officer there from 1985 to 1990. I was born in the Iyerpadi estate hospital in 1987. Probably we stayed in the same house where your grandfather lived.
There were two bungalows for the writers, One was occupied and another one was abandoned. When I was there Mr.Satyan was the junior writer.
You might have lived in the same house where I'd grown up. I have lot or memorabilia. :-)
Old 11th September 2012, 01:05   #40
BHPian

Wonderful pictures Dr. Your travelogue brought back the wonderful days I spent driving to this beautiful hill station when I was in Coimbatore. I enjoyed every moment driving in this ghat section.

Thanks for sharing !
Ride_4_Fortune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 08:21   #41
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Stunning HDRs Doc!! The pics of the Jeep and the ghat section are absolute wallpaper material.

Thanks for sharing!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:56   #42
BHPian

great pictures dr! Awesome climate too!!

this is the same route (thrissur-athirapally-valparai-pollachi-thrissur) i've in mind for long ,having driven till athirapally twice before from thrissur.But i've been disuaded from doing so as people said the road is too narrow,unmotorable and that elephants,wild beasts would cross the area..Going by your travelogue,I guess the road is quite ok except that it takes time. even i've seen an occassional bus going from chalakudy to valparai in this route.Hmm..I wish to drive in this scenic route soon !

I've two queries regarding the route -

1- Can make the route in i10?

2-Is it safe to take a family / female members along?

Anyone who's been in this route,kindly give your inputs.
Cheers.
kums is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 18:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums View Post

Cheers.
1. No reason why you cannot.

2. Yes. As safe or unsafe as regular routes.

Check:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20228

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th September 2012 at 18:11.
Old 11th September 2012, 18:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums
great pictures dr! Awesome climate too!!

this is the same route (thrissur-athirapally-valparai-pollachi-thrissur) i've in mind for long ,having driven till athirapally twice before from thrissur.But i've been disuaded from doing so as people said the road is too narrow,unmotorable and that elephants,wild beasts would cross the area..Going by your travelogue,I guess the road is quite ok except that it takes time. even i've seen an occassional bus going from chalakudy to valparai in this route.Hmm..I wish to drive in this scenic route soon !

Cheers.
Yes the route is safe, with one exception - between malakkapara and athirapally - road enough for two suv side by side, one bad strip, maybe a bit hard for i10 and passes through dense jungle. Every now and then vehicles pass by. Entire stretch I saw elephant dung on the road , some as fresh as half a day. Pretty evident that there's elephants around. So try to clear the stretch by sundown, sayin that coz of family. After 6 the forest gates close.

My suggestion is thrissur - Pollachi - Valparai - athirapally - chalakudy - thrissur.
try to reach the ghats early in the morning, pleasant weather means u ll enjoy the drive more, scapes more pleasant in early morning and late evening lights. Entire day to drive thru Valparai and enjoy the beauty. By late afternoon pass the malakkapara post and hit athirapally , relax there and drive to chalakudy at yo will and dinner back in thrissur. Jus a suggestion.
drkakkilaya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 11:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya View Post
This may be a bit helpful.

Weather forecast had predicted rain in the area. So had carried an extra pair of clothing, changed inside the jeep. headed west towards chalakudy. a medium right before chalakudy ll take you to kochi - thrissur 4 laner, turn North and then North-East at Thrissur towards coimbatore. Road from Thrissur is not good. Only one stretch in the middle is motorable. Reached coimbatore at 10:30PM. Had a good dinner and called it a day.

Statistics from My Iphone GPS Kit
Distance covered : 224.9 Mi
Duration : 13:00:55
Max speed : 85.9 mph ( not sure about the accuracy , I never crossed 100 on speedometer the entire journey)
Elev.High : 4839 ft
Elev Low : 13ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya View Post
Yes the route is safe, with one exception - between malakkapara and athirapally - road enough for two suv side by side, one bad strip, maybe a bit hard for i10 Entire day to drive thru Valparai and enjoy the beauty. By late afternoon pass the malakkapara post and hit athirapally , relax there and drive to chalakudy at yo will and dinner back in thrissur. Jus a suggestion.
Many thanks bro. I was looking for something on Valparai and there is nothing quite like this. I'll get back to you with my experience after my trip. I'm sure it will be an out of tis world experience, especially as it is in the middle of an brake-less monsoon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks