Team-BHP - How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/125894-how-hard-can-bangalore-ladakh-linea-11.html)

Just finished reading one of the best Ladakh travelogues. What makes is one of the best is the fact that there was only one driver and the sheer guts and determination of the fellow passengers. Very well written and good narration Rohit. When I told my mom that there is a guy from Bangalore who took his mom and aunt all the way to Ladakh in a car, she didn't believe me but after showing the TL she was just awestruck. I am still waiting for my Ladakh trip to materialize. Let's see whether it happens this year or the next. Your information provided here would be of great help. Hats off once again Rohit.

Sam, if you are willing to join hands with a few fellow Bangaloreans, I am in. I've been wanting to do a trip to Ladakh from Bangalore, but haven't been able to get together a group. I don't want to do the trip alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sami316 (Post 3070046)
Just finished reading one of the best Ladakh travelogues. What makes is one of the best is the fact that there was only one driver and the sheer guts and determination of the fellow passengers. Very well written and good narration Rohit. When I told my mom that there is a guy from Bangalore who took his mom and aunt all the way to Ladakh in a car, she didn't believe me but after showing the TL she was just awestruck. I am still waiting for my Ladakh trip to materialize. Let's see whether it happens this year or the next. Your information provided here would be of great help. Hats off once again Rohit.

Thank you so much :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharat4ever (Post 3070089)
Sam, if you are willing to join hands with a few fellow Bangaloreans, I am in. I've been wanting to do a trip to Ladakh from Bangalore, but haven't been able to get together a group. I don't want to do the trip alone.

Hey Bharath,

There is a big group heading to Ladakh this August. You can join the brigade headed by Hirak Das (motormaverick) and share your travel plans with him and chalk out a proper roadmap to your Ladakh trip.

Infact, I might even do this trip again this year (provided I get my leaves approved from office:Frustrati)

What do you think ? Can an i20 diesel do it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharat4ever (Post 3070249)
What do you think ? Can an i20 diesel do it?

Yup it can do it :). Just make sure the clutch has enough life in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohittunga (Post 3070278)
Yup it can do it :). Just make sure the clutch has enough life in it.

Rohit, for one, hats off to you and the three tough ladies in your clan--MISSION ACCOMPLISHED indeed. A fantastic and absorbing journey for you, and accept my Heartiest Congratulations and Admiration.

:Cheering:

Just one other observation, though. I am from the North of India and am not too sure that the last leg of your journey; through six states; was very wise. A few of those states are dangerous enough in the daytime (I remember one particular drive recently with my fiancé where every other biker had a pillion carrying two rifles!). HP and J&K are fine, but some of the other states (I won't name them!) are best traversed in the daytime.

That having been said, kudos to you. Superlative stuff. More power to you.

I am a new member and this was the first thread I read.. (What a way to start!)

This is a great feat you have achieved, and definitely a trip you will remember all your life (though the photos will help though!:))

I am inspired to do this even on my nearly 8 yr. old Bajaj Pulsar 180Dtsi now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 2896590)
How many of them are working now? I don't remember seeing any Reliance pump in action for last few years.

Not sure how many Reliance pumps are still functional across India but have seen few of them en-route to Shirdi. To be specific between Ahemadnagar and Shirdi. I can remember at least 3 of them functioning :)

Thanks for sharing your TL.
Even though its a trip from last year, was still wonderful reading through your inspiration instilling experiences.
I happened to drive in pitch darkness once, coming out of Orange County in Coorg to the highway and it was scary with barely any soul around to ask for directions. But that was for an hour or so. Reading your overnight experience and driving through darkness with just 3 vehicles passing during the stretch - hard to fathom man! Hats off!

I am a huge star-gazing lover. Did you get any such opportunities to star gaze, considering you mostly had good weather?

I am planning on a Blr-Rajasthan-Blr trip this year end in my soon to arrive Tjet and hope to top it doing Leh-Ladakh next year. Time to save the 'leaves' up.

Rated your TL *****

Rohit, this is one of my favorite travelogue on Leh-ladakh. you wont believe me, whenever I don't find anything interesting on internet to read, I open your travelogue and read it.

Also want to salute your Mom and Aunts who accompanied you for such a tough journey.

By the way, I have also met you during the Fiat factory visit. I was the one who met you in the parking lot :)

Fantastic travelogue. Somehow squeezing into the forum for reading Sathya and Hirat travelogues. Luckily, I saw yours today and just spent the last 3-4 hrs without skipping even a single line here in the entire lot of pages. Driving at night in those unpredictable high altitudes and unknown terrains with 3 woman folks....salute you for your guts and energy. Btw, what is the maximum hrs you spent on a car between source and destination including power naps, if any

Thanks for those Nice photographs & accommodation reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyonwheels (Post 3256478)
Thanks for sharing your TL.
Even though its a trip from last year, was still wonderful reading through your inspiration instilling experiences.
I happened to drive in pitch darkness once, coming out of Orange County in Coorg to the highway and it was scary with barely any soul around to ask for directions. But that was for an hour or so. Reading your overnight experience and driving through darkness with just 3 vehicles passing during the stretch - hard to fathom man! Hats off!

I am a huge star-gazing lover. Did you get any such opportunities to star gaze, considering you mostly had good weather?

I am planning on a Blr-Rajasthan-Blr trip this year end in my soon to arrive Tjet and hope to top it doing Leh-Ladakh next year. Time to save the 'leaves' up.

Rated your TL *****

Thanks Andy. Yes driving in the dark is one of the hardest if not THE hardest bit of driving I've ever done. Thinking about it now still gives me goosebumps. The look on army patrolling team's face when I woke them up in the middle of the night to remove the blockade was simple priceless.:D

The video posted on page 7 will just give you a glimpse of how desolate we were. And yes, it was at this very moment when I looked up at the sky for a moment and was completely awestruck. Stars as far as the eye can see yet they appear so near (probably an illusion or may be I was hallucinating whatever). This simply cannot be expressed in words. I tried hard to capture it on my camera, but couldn't get a decent shot.

And good luck for your Rajasthan trip. I had been there in my car and driving a T-jet on those silky smooth roads will be heavenly for sure. Apart from 'leaves', you may also have to start saving money for those humongous fuel bills courtesy those roads which makes you wanna drive flat out. Feel free to ask me any queries regarding routes/hotels etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMP (Post 3257646)
Rohit, this is one of my favorite travelogue on Leh-ladakh. you wont believe me, whenever I don't find anything interesting on internet to read, I open your travelogue and read it.

Also want to salute your Mom and Aunts who accompanied you for such a tough journey.

By the way, I have also met you during the Fiat factory visit. I was the one who met you in the parking lot :)

Thanks AMP. I'm just glad that my log still finds interest even after 1 year. I too remeber meeting you at the parking lot at Fiat's factory. We were the first 4 ~ 5 cars that came to the visit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 3257783)
Fantastic travelogue. Somehow squeezing into the forum for reading Sathya and Hirat travelogues. Luckily, I saw yours today and just spent the last 3-4 hrs without skipping even a single line here in the entire lot of pages. Driving at night in those unpredictable high altitudes and unknown terrains with 3 woman folks....salute you for your guts and energy. Btw, what is the maximum hrs you spent on a car between source and destination including power naps, if any

Thanks for those Nice photographs & accommodation reviews.

Thanks Surprise. Yeah I did speak with Hirak sometime last year when his plans of driving to Leh was still in early stages. I'm so glad that his plan did materialize and is one of the all time best t-logs on team-bhp.

My longest time spent on a car was just shy of 24 hrs. It was a very long & tiring run from Haridwar in Uttarakhand to Himmatnagar in Gujarat. Started at 6.am in Haridwar and reached Himmatnagar next morning at 4 am.

Excellent Rohit!! For you it may already be a year, but for me after reading its totally fresh :). Your narration was fab.. loved every word and pic. And the risk taking abilities of a 22 yr old shows!!

You had posted a pic of 3M.. and its on 80ft road (correct?). Looks like we are neighbors.. I am near the aecs hall. We should meet sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohittunga (Post 3258016)
And good luck for your Rajasthan trip. I had been there in my car and driving a T-jet on those silky smooth roads will be heavenly for sure. Apart from 'leaves', you may also have to start saving money for those humongous fuel bills courtesy those roads which makes you wanna drive flat out. Feel free to ask me any queries regarding routes/hotels etc.

It's great you got to view stars that way. Did you try turning the lights off to see how dark it was? 'Cos that does momentarily freak the senses out. ;)

And thanks for offering to help out w/ the route and hotels stuff. As that's exactly what i have started researching into - posted some queries here - whenever you get some time. Thanks Rohit!

Rohit...Truly amazing...Your travelogue is a real inspiration to plan my Leh trip. But unfortunately on April,as you know, the roads are closed. Instead Im going to Bhutan & Sikkim now...That too in Fiat Linea :)

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.