Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2014, 14:58   #166
BHPian

Beautiful pictures and crisp narration. Lots to learn from your travelogue. I am also planning to drive till Ladakh and get Leh'd. My challenge will be to drive a Ford Figo from Asansol(WB) to Ladakh. Currently gathering as much information as possible from t-logs like yours.
Hope to do it some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
lovecars21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 19:17   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
Beautiful pictures and crisp narration. Lots to learn from your travelogue. I am also planning to drive till Ladakh and get Leh'd. My challenge will be to drive a Ford Figo from Asansol(WB) to Ladakh. Currently gathering as much information as possible from t-logs like yours.
Hope to do it some day.

Are you getting any under-body protection or doing something to increase the GC of the FIGO. this car needs an excuse to scrape its belly. I would not really advise taking it to a place like Ladakh. I took it to a place like Chail last September. The car took an under-body hit breaking the fuel strainer and leaving me poorer by approx 75 K, not to mention the bother of getting it towed back to Noida.
Old 18th May 2014, 19:44   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Are you getting any under-body protection or doing something to increase the GC of the FIGO. this car needs an excuse to scrape its belly. I would not really advise taking it to a place like Ladakh. I took it to a place like Chail last September. The car took an under-body hit breaking the fuel strainer and leaving me poorer by approx 75 K, not to mention the bother of getting it towed back to Noida.

Surely i will go ahead and prepare my car before taking on the challenge. Currently i am preparing for a road trip to Kumaon region from Bengal in my Figo (end of this month).
Its a 2013 Figo in which i have done Darjeeling Trip with Rock Garden up hill and down hill. The roads are very bad. With 5 passengers and boot full of luggage I didn't face any issues.
I know road to Ladakh would be more difficult hence would gather as much information as possible before going for it.

Old 18th May 2014, 20:55   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Hope to do it some day.

I'm glad that my Log was useful to you. The drive to Leh has been the ultimate accomplishment for those who love driving.

We too have a Figo diesel and while its a very good city car and good for the occasional highway drive with its excellent steering, I wouldn't recommend driving the Figo in stock form to Ladakh. The reasons being that its a low slung car and there is absolutely no under body protection. So the Oil Sump and other vital components are very vulnerable to get damaged.

Therefore as Rajneeesh rightly mentioned, you have to install some sort of protection to the underside of your car. I don't think there is any need to increase the GC if just 2 people are travelling in the car. I find Figo's suspension to be sufficiently stiff and not droopy like Honda's.
rohittunga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 22:16   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
I'm glad that my Log was useful to you. The drive to Leh has been the ultimate accomplishment for those who love driving.

We too have a Figo diesel and while its a very good city car and good for the occasional highway drive with its excellent steering, I wouldn't recommend driving the Figo in stock form to Ladakh. The reasons being that its a low slung car and there is absolutely no under body protection. So the Oil Sump and other vital components are very vulnerable to get damaged.

Therefore as Rajneeesh rightly mentioned, you have to install some sort of protection to the underside of your car. I don't think there is any need to increase the GC if just 2 people are travelling in the car. I find Figo's suspension to be sufficiently stiff and not droopy like Honda's.

Thanks a lot for your advise. Can you guide me as to how i can go ahead and install underbody protection in my Figo. Will that reduce the GC as the protection will be below the oil sump?

Old 18th May 2014, 22:20   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent TL with very detailed information and awesome pics, Rohit. I think it was really a very brave decision by your mom and aunt to join you in such a mega long drive. Also, shows their confidence in you. Hats off dude, for the night drive in such a dangerous and unknown stretch.

I have gone through this TL before as well, but this time I gave some special attention, you know why? I am a linea owner now and have Leh/Ladakh trip in my To Do list since last 2 years.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 14:20   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your advise. Can you guide me as to how i can go ahead and install underbody protection in my Figo. Will that reduce the GC as the protection will be below the oil sump?
The reduction in GC (i.e the customized engine guard hanging) will be there. It has to be specially fabricated with feasible mounting locations, its a tedious thing and you need to have a competent garage and your personal analysis. First I would suggest you to analyse the under-body yourself and see the possible mounting locations and check where you can get the fabrication done.

P.S - I am planning to get the same done for my Verna if I plan to travel in those routes.

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 19th May 2014 at 14:25. Reason: Corrections and additions
Old 19th May 2014, 19:01   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post

P.S - I am planning to get the same done for my Verna if I plan to travel in those routes.

Please do share all about how you install the under body protection so that I can also get it done.

Any help in this matter would be very vital.

Old 20th May 2014, 14:41   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Excellent TL with very detailed information and awesome pics, Rohit. I think it was really a very brave decision by your mom and aunt to join you in such a mega long drive. Also, shows their confidence in you. Hats off dude, for the night drive in such a dangerous and unknown stretch.

I have gone through this TL before as well, but this time I gave some special attention, you know why? I am a linea owner now and have Leh/Ladakh trip in my To Do list since last 2 years.
Thanks Arun for all the compliments

Firstly, congrats on buying a Linea after your horrific accident. In my opinion, no other sedan even comes close to it in tackling the rough stuff that Ladakh throws at you. And since yours is the 185mm GC version, there will be fewer headaches to worry about than me

Eventually the roads to Leh will be converted into an all weather road (the process has already begun by widening the roads, constructing the Rothang and Zozi La tunnel etc etc.). Once completed I'm sure it wont be as challenging and daunting as it is now. Therefore I suggest you to remove Leh from your To Do List and include it in the Planning list soon.
Old 21st May 2014, 16:10   #175
BHPian

Hey Rohit great TL. Just fished reading it. Read it at one go and made my father also read it. I am sure you must have made your aunt and mother come by telling them you will take them to the religious places . You Determination comes out in your narration. Driving in the night on the Manali Leh must be an experience like none other.
alfaromeo1984 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks