Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 04:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

The Finnish People

According to common beliefs and surveys, Finns are among the most polite, friendly and helpful people in Europe, although they are a little bit more introverted. Finns are very active people, both in production and consumption of everything that their country has to offer.

Finns are usually sparing with words, and don't value small talk much; therefore, verbal promises are usually taken very seriously, and you should not be joking when telling a Finn something important.

Finnish people strive to be reliable, honest and dependable. Anyone with these characteristics will be held in high regard. They also believe firmly that each person is entitled to their own space and privacy. This can often appear unfriendly when first communicating with a Finn. However, once the ice is broken, they are open, friendly and warm. This I have personal experience of.

The way of life in Finland is relaxed and easy going. Finns are straight forward people - they will say what they mean. Unlike many western cultures, Finns do not experience any form of awkwardness if there is a silence during conversation. A Finn will not talk while someone else is speaking. He or she will only respond after the other person has had their say.

Business etiquette in Finland is formal. There is hardly any small talk because Finns like to get straight to the point.

According to a Finnish friend of mine, there are 3 types of Finns...
1. Finns who are Sober.
2. Finns who are Drunk and Smiling.
3. Finns who are drunk and beating somebody.

Although, he says, the number 3 variety is reducing slowly.

Most Typical Finns love Nature, love Silence and love being alone as well.

It is very interesting to note that for a nation with only 5 mil population, there are most sports people than expected..
My association of Finns and Motorsports started with Juha Kankunnen and his WRC victories...from there the list goes on with Kimi being the latest.

When I was watching a F1 race with a few Finns, they actually got up and went out when Kimi was sliding backwards in the finishing order. They don't care about the rest..not Heiki Kovaleinen too.
14000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 08:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd

Brilliant travelogue from the land of flying finns. Thanks for sharing 14000rpm. The above post pretty much sums up the character of Mika, Marcus & Kimi.

And don't forget to master the Scandinavian flick while you are there.

Have mighty fun and keep this going.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 12:38   #33
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful thread, glad you started this. I love travelling, but have not had much opportunities to do so. Such threads are a great source of information and make for good reading.

Looking forward to the rest of the writeup.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 11:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Finns and their Language.

Finland officially has 2 languages in common usage - Finnish and Swedish. The native language is Finnish but due to the fact that Finland was part of Sweden from 13th century till about 19th century, there is a substantial Swedish influence as well. The resultant of this is that all forms of information/Communication are always in the 2 languages..
why no english you ask? well, the Brits never made it this far to have an influence of their language here. But of course the whole globalization effect means that English is an accepted form of communication too.
All Finns who've been exposed to the globalization effect do know English. Only some, probly old people. may not know English.

Can one survive without knowing English? but of course..
Can one survive without knowing Finnish/Swedish...err..a bit difficult. all notices, govt communication, agreements are all in Finnish and Swedish. hell even the Milk carton is in Finnish and Swedish only.
I have a 10 page terms and conditions from the electric co which I have no clue of. I've even signed it..not sure if they are going to saw my testis off I don't pay the bill and say 'hey, you've signed on this document..now no noise please..'

How do I survive?

I walk into a supermarket, I really have to see the pictures on the packagin and the section they are in to identify the products. knowing some important brand names helps a lot though.
By instinct the Finns speak in Finnish or Swedish (I can't make out...no way). but when they notice a blank look on my face and my shrugging shoulders, they switch swiftly into English..some Billing counter clerks still don't know English but then, that's ok. I know the amount from the display and I'm sure they won't have any other topics to talk about...known protocol..swipe card and buzz off.
For most others, Google translate is my best friend.
The net banking interface of my of my local bank account is in Finnish..completely but then, Tada, I open it in Google chrome and automatically all text is now in English..problem solved.

I know somebody will pop a suggestion and say 'use google translate on phone..simple'..I may want to redirect suggester's to -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2897060

Through time, I may be able to learn a few things about the language but for now, I'm only managing. managing to Survive.

like the saying goes - Adaptation is the best form of survival.

By now, I've learnt this much which has helped me sail through many conversations..

hyvää huomenta (pronounced - Hivaa vuomentha) - Good morning.
hyvää huomenta Herrat (pronounced - Hivaa vuomentha herrrrath) - Good morning gentlemen.
Mita Kuuluu? (pronounced -mitha kuu luu) - whats up?
että on kaikista suomalaisista tiedän. (pronounced- ethha on kaikistha suomalaisistha thee a dhaan) - that is about all the finnish I know.
En ymmärrä suomea tai ruotsia. (pronounced -en ummara suomea thai ruotsia)- I do not understand finnish or swedish.
Kiitos! (pronounced - Kee thoos)- Thanks !

the above set of sentences are sufficient for my survival now.

Well, the 1st things I've learnt in any new language are curse words. no different this time around. the youth culture, just like in most countries, have heavy usage of profanity free flowing in regular conversation. Not so much in the mature set of Finns.

there is a huge list of Curse words but then, I'm not going to post any of them
14000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 12:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Finns and their Language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Through time, I may be able to learn a few things about the language but for now, I'm only managing. managing to Survive.
like the saying goes - Adaptation is the best form of survival.
True. That's the case with every Foreigner coming to Europe. Hell, even with fluent German, I struggled during my initial days, so I can understand you situation.

Quote:
että on kaikista suomalaisista tiedän. (pronounced- ethha on kaikistha suomalaisistha thee a dhaan) - that is about all the finnish I know.
En ymmärrä suomea tai ruotsia. (pronounced -en ummara suomea thai ruotsia)- I do not understand finnish or swedish.
Kiitos! (pronounced - Kee thoos)- Thanks !
What? I thought finnish and swedish are more french like sweet sounding and so! This proves my ideas completely wrong! How did you manage to memorize these lines in the first place? Hats off to you for that!
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 12:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi 14000rpm, a very nice and interesting read so far !

I know it's a no - comparison, but still, how would you compare the quality of roads of Bangalore with the roads in Finland ? What are the major differences ?

I prefer to move around in my softly sprung Xylo here, simply to insulate myself from the imperfections of our roads !

Please keep the posts and pics coming
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 13:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Interesting thread, The citroen is not a bad car, am impressed that it lasted on Finnish roads though.

Finnish drivers also go through a skid control class so I understand!
Its not a bad car per se. If you actually go through the Finnish driving classes and then apply for a Finnish DL, the Skid Control classes are part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
14000rpm, liked your way of writing and it is really interesting to know some facts about an unknown land [atleast for me] through your life there. pics are amazing too.
Kiitos !

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thanks for the nice write up of your unusual experience in a foreign land. Enjoyed every bit of it.

That was a wise choice for the moment. You dont want to spend too much money on a car right now since you may not be staying there for long. Explain the first quirk in that French car of yours; What's that thingy hanging at the back, like a extended tail lamp ?
Kiitos !.

I am here for the long term. So, I will eventually pick up a different car. For now, French it is.

I'll tell you about its quirks when I get to write about it in a separate post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Thank you for taking us to Finland with you.

A very interesting thread. Rated 5*.
Kiitos !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1. Nimbleguru and 14000RPM - thanks for your motivations. finally, my log is in the assembly line! I hope to roll out soon.

2. Great. This time, better goto Sweden to buy a car. Its far more cheaper there than in Finland.

3. Driving sideways - may be learn drifting or goto the Mika Haikki academy! Will be one time lifetime chance to sit beside that legend "Finn"

4. Meet-up: Sure, plan some trip sir(before Dec! I am going home for christmas!).

5. No time and lots to write - Tell me more sir! We are driving the same car, on the same icy road! (well, automotised version of "Sailing in the same boat" )

Thread gets 5 star rating. Please find time to update sir!
I'll let you know when I make a trip to Germany. Maybe christmas time. I'm planning to drive all over in a Motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Super thread, 14000rpm! Rated 5*.

I have always had a fascination for Scandinavian countries- unfortunately despite having travelled to various parts of the world, haven't been there yet. We had a couple of Finns from some Helsinki university who had come as exchange students when I was in B-school. That's about all the direct interaction I've had, apart from faithfully supporting Kimi Raikonnen

I am surprised that Finland allows Indian DL for 2 years. Sweden is a lot stricter, I think.
I'm sure you can connect with many things I will write. All Finns are similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Brilliant travelogue from the land of flying finns. Thanks for sharing 14000rpm. The above post pretty much sums up the character of Mika, Marcus & Kimi.

And don't forget to master the Scandinavian flick while you are there.

Have mighty fun and keep this going.
The Scandinavian flick ..sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Beautiful thread, glad you started this. I love travelling, but have not had much opportunities to do so. Such threads are a great source of information and make for good reading.

Looking forward to the rest of the writeup.
Kiitos. I'm glad you liked it. I'll keep it as informative as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
What? I thought finnish and swedish are more french like sweet sounding and so! This proves my ideas completely wrong! How did you manage to memorize these lines in the first place? Hats off to you for that!
lol. Finnish language is harder than you think.

I've made some good local (Finn) friends and most of my learnings is coz of his lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi 14000rpm, a very nice and interesting read so far !

I know it's a no - comparison, but still, how would you compare the quality of roads of Bangalore with the roads in Finland ? What are the major differences ?

I prefer to move around in my softly sprung Xylo here, simply to insulate myself from the imperfections of our roads !

Please keep the posts and pics coming
Quality of roads is awesome. By default most roads have to be relaid every 2 years. Its not coz of quality but coz of the Studded tyres they use in Winters. That chips the roads and creates potholes eventually.

In the meanwhile, I found this rather informative video on how to survive in Finland. Pretty accurate.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 15th September 2012 at 13:56.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 02:56   #38
BHPian

Excellent thread.

Your conversations with various finnish people is hilarious. Keep updating the thread with more such funny moments.

Kiitos !
hurricanes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 09:47   #39
BHPian

@14000 rpm: This thread is not only different from most, but also very well written. You have a flair for writing - let me know if you blog somewhere too. Just can't stop checking for updates every time I open team-bhp (which is every time I log on to the net on personal time).
Rated 5 stars!

If you can, please increase the frequency of posts
chetan_l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 10:40   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
How do the Europeans manage to get such a neat and clean look in their countries?
Why is this not possible in India? :(
I don't think that would be ever possible in India. Unless the government introduces a subject right from school on Civic sense.(hygiene,cleanliness etc)

People here spit at every corner.Show me one street in India without pan stains.
If its not pan stains it's felm. These type of people just spit everywhere.
Look a our trains. Look at the newly built skywalks ,they filthy with pan all over the sides.
At least now educated locals have stopped littering on the roads.
I for one has even put a trash bag in my car. If I have any trash on me like chocolate wrapper etc I keep it in my pocket untill I find a garbage bin.
Another thing is corruption.For example our roads are being built using substandard quality of materials.
So you have loose gravel,potholes etc etc.
All these factors make our streets not pleasant to look at.
Some streets are clean and well maintained.But majority are filthy.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 15:07   #41
BHPian

14000rpm,
Very interesting TL, indeed it brings back memories of Finland when I lived for a while in Helsinki ( I worked for Nokia ). Its a beautiful country with most humble and honest people, unlike Germans, racism is absent. Your should enjoy your silence.. err freedom whilst in Finland. Please keep it coming and of course more pictures please...
PowerTrained is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 21:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

I notice a tow hook on the rear bumper. Is it common for all sedans to have one there? Main use? Are trailers common?
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 22:30   #43
BHPian

Nice thread 14000rpm and very interesting writeup. Have been visiting Finland since 1998 and couldn't agree more on your observations. Have you not yet visited any sauna, how come there is no mention of it till now. This is one thing that will make your life easy during the winters. Believe me, after staying in US for few winters I felt I was better off in Finland because of the sauna, no scratching or itchy skin etc etc.

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 16th September 2012 at 22:35.
deepaktpatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 23:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes View Post
Excellent thread.

Your conversations with various finnish people is hilarious. Keep updating the thread with more such funny moments.

Kiitos !
Glad you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
@14000 rpm: This thread is not only different from most, but also very well written. You have a flair for writing - let me know if you blog somewhere too. Just can't stop checking for updates every time I open team-bhp (which is every time I log on to the net on personal time).
Rated 5 stars!

If you can, please increase the frequency of posts
thanks !
I will try to be more frequent. I am travelling a lot these days. Soon you'll see more posts and this thread will eventually be fully up-to-date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
I don't think that would be ever possible in India. Unless the government introduces a subject right from school on Civic sense.(hygiene,cleanliness etc)
Its really the awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTrained View Post
14000rpm,
Very interesting TL, indeed it brings back memories of Finland when I lived for a while in Helsinki ( I worked for Nokia ). Its a beautiful country with most humble and honest people, unlike Germans, racism is absent. Your should enjoy your silence.. err freedom whilst in Finland. Please keep it coming and of course more pictures please...
True. Why don't you pen down your Finnish Chronicles too?
I've got lots of pix coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I notice a tow hook on the rear bumper. Is it common for all sedans to have one there? Main use? Are trailers common?
Yes it is common. For all cars from Suzuki Swift to the Merc S Class. More on that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Nice thread 14000rpm and very interesting writeup. Have been visiting Finland since 1998 and couldn't agree more on your observations. Have you not yet visited any sauna, how come there is no mention of it till now. This is one thing that will make your life easy during the winters. Believe me, after staying in US for few winters I felt I was better off in Finland because of the sauna, no scratching or itchy skin etc etc.
saunas. Yupp. that chapter is coming up. Appreciate your inputs as well.
Old 16th September 2012, 23:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Food

Accomodation - done.
Communication - done.
Commute - done.

wait a minute..that's not it if I have say I survive..aah..Food !!

I totally missed out on this topic.

Traditional Finnish cuisine is based on fresh and natural ingredients that vary according to the season. In addition to vegetables, mushrooms, berries and fish, Finnish food is typified by simplicity and purity of taste.
The food is generally simple, fresh and healthy. Fish, meat, berries and ground vegetables are typical ingredients whereas spices are not common due to their historical unavailability.
The most popular meats are Fish, Pork, Beef and chicken. The hunters focus on deer and moose, but small game such as hare, ducks and grouse are popular for their taste, and game makes a natural addition to the Finnish cuisine. Moose meat is generally found at home and not at restaurants..Reindeer meat is available in typical Finnish Cuisine restaurants.

Now, European cuisine is pretty bland and I was fine with that..So, I was curious to see what Finnish cuisine was all about but then...I saw this video.

and this..

...and I then went around looking for other generic cuisines. maybe someday I'll eat some good Finnish food at some friends house and change my notion.

Vaasa is quiet Cosmopolitan which means restaurants catering to all cuisines are around. Yes..there is 1 Indian restaurant as well..not run by Indians though..it is run by a few Nepalis. The typical Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, etc all exist. So, that gave me a comfort factor of sorts.
Lunch at most restaurants are Buffets which by default have a Salad bar as well.
Then, there is the typical Subway and McDonalds as well. Trust me, I haven't stepped into a McD since 6 months or more. Don't intend to even.

But then, I couldn't possibly be eating out every single day. It's a very expensive affair I must say. Which in short meant - I had to Cook for myself.
This is the challenge. You see, I am a total disaster in the kitchen. Give me a tool kit and I can more or Dissemble/Assemble anything. Give me a sauce pan, all spices and ingredients and a recipe - I will still look dazed. Like a brain freeze. Hands just refuse to move. I could just about make an omelette, scrambled eggs and toast..oh yes..rice too. That's it.
Wife has given up trying to teach me. I just cannot learn the fine art of Cooking. period. But then comes the question of survival. I now manage to make a few things for myself but by and large take the easy way out. like making Pastas, Salads and Sandwiches. .

I know we have a few master chefs in house too. Just how do you guys crack the code?

Anyway, one thing this whole survival exercise has done to me - I now browse recipes on youtube more than automotive related videos.
What a changeover. I used to spend the evenings reading Automotive or Photography blogs/Forums and now, I look up quick fix recipes online.
14000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks